• 10,306,526 Posts
• 408,356 Topics
• 23,331 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OM Loophole  (Read 4456 times)

31to6

OM Loophole
« on: February 07, 2019, 03:46:58 pm »

The NCAA absolutely MUST fix the loophole that lets a program who lost scholarships count back recruits into the sanctioned seasons. It makes a mockery of the whole situation.

When you emerge from sanctions, you should be able to sign a max of 25. Full stop.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
  • In Karma Nirvana for all time.
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog
Re: OM Loophole
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 03:53:52 pm »

You should write the NCAA a strongly worded letter.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

widespreadsooie

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 04:04:53 pm »

They would probably get around to reading it by 2025.

RaisinHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 04:09:48 pm »

Yep supposed to lose scholarships and sign more than us .. makes no sense

Seebs

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 04:10:07 pm »

Inmates in prison get savvier and learn more while in prison than on the streets.  Ole Miss may have learned a lot while getting their hand slapped. Now they know more than most other schools and may never go into the klink again with this newfound knowledge.

Knowledge is power.  Nothing illegal with knowing the rules fully and working around the parameters of those rules. I'm sure that is what Ole Miss is doing, legally. (knows Wilson is watching)

31to6

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 04:15:55 pm »

Yah.. no kidding.

Ty for the monty python flashback :)

31to6

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 04:17:21 pm »

Inmates in prison get savvier and learn more while in prison than on the streets.  Ole Miss may have learned a lot while getting their hand slapped. Now they know more than most other schools and may never go into the klink again with this newfound knowledge.

Knowledge is power.  Nothing illegal with knowing the rules fully and working around the parameters of those rules. I'm sure that is what Ole Miss is doing, legally. (knows Wilson is watching)
1) pay your hookers in cash
2) use a burner
3) deny *everything*.. even deny any denials

Seebs

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 04:20:30 pm »

1) pay your hookers in cash
2) use a burner
3) deny *everything*.. even deny any denials

1) pay your hookers in cash  - Ask Jerry Springer about this. Seriously.
2) use a burner - Ask Walter White about this - Seriously
3) deny *everything*.. even deny any denials - Ask Bill Clinton about this - Seriously

All great men that have never been penalized by the NCAA.  perhaps by the judicial system, the DEA and Congress, but NOT by the NCAA

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 08:59:17 am »

Practice saying it with me now - "I can't recall..."

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 09:39:22 am »

The NCAA is not made up of stupid people.  In fact, they are very intelligent and have fallen in love with the college football money train. 

They know the rules, they know what is going on in basketball and football recruiting, they turn a blind eye to it when it is a cash cow school doing it, Take UNC vs Mizzou as a prime example.  Ole Miss got so bad that they had to do something, well they gave them loopholes and ended up coming back and saying the punishment was to harsh and that crap.  They even let players that were most likely involved transfer and play at schools immediately (Michigan). 

They know what they did, they know those loopholes for a reason, Ole Miss was gifted the ability to count those scholarships back because it is good for the NCAA and SEC, that is all.

For this line of reasoning is why I have jumped on the pay the players bandwagon.  It is the most troublesome and fastest way to wreck the scums in the NCAA office. 

Piggyback78

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 10:23:07 am »

The NCAA is not made up of stupid people.  In fact, they are very intelligent and have fallen in love with the college football money train. 

They know the rules, they know what is going on in basketball and football recruiting, they turn a blind eye to it when it is a cash cow school doing it, Take UNC vs Mizzou as a prime example.  Ole Miss got so bad that they had to do something, well they gave them loopholes and ended up coming back and saying the punishment was to harsh and that crap.  They even let players that were most likely involved transfer and play at schools immediately (Michigan). 

They know what they did, they know those loopholes for a reason, Ole Miss was gifted the ability to count those scholarships back because it is good for the NCAA and SEC, that is all.

For this line of reasoning is why I have jumped on the pay the players bandwagon.  It is the most troublesome and fastest way to wreck the scums in the NCAA office.

The scumbags will still come along and sweeten the deal. Paying players a salary will fix nothing. The only way to fix this issue is criminal punishments and death penalties. The real question is how do you keep the ncaa and sec offices out of bed with the big money maker programs?

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 10:25:07 am »

The scumbags will still come along and sweeten the deal. Paying players a salary will fix nothing. The only way to fix this issue is criminal punishments and death penalties. The real question is how do you keep the ncaa and sec offices out of bed with the big money maker programs?

I didn't say it would fix the situation, it just cripples the spineless NCAA.

Piggyback78

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 10:40:06 am »

I didn't say it would fix the situation, it just cripples the spineless NCAA.

To fix the problem it might take a prominent school to step out and refuse to play because of the issues..

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 10:44:37 am »

To fix the problem it might take a prominent school to step out and refuse to play because of the issues..

I think it will take a coach, in a Bielema type situation last year, to blow it all up. Someone that competed on the national stage, both games and recruiting, most likely knows all the dirty secrets, but someone who collects proof and cases. 

Then a good investigative journalist to reveal. 

I watch the 30 for 30

Piggyback78

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 10:58:13 am »

I think it will take a coach, in a Bielema type situation last year, to blow it all up. Someone that competed on the national stage, both games and recruiting, most likely knows all the dirty secrets, but someone who collects proof and cases. 

Then a good investigative journalist to reveal. 

I watch the 30 for 30

Its amazing how they get away with these things for so long especially keeping the kids quiet. Ole miss finally had a slip but you're right eventually someone will have a guilt trip and spill the beans..

Athog

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 11:03:07 am »

You are correct!!

PorkFromOrk

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 12:00:44 pm »

I mean Iím all about cleaning this side of college sports up but executions seems a bit harsh, no? ;)

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 12:04:08 pm »

I mean Iím all about cleaning this side of college sports up but executions seems a bit harsh, no? ;)
Depends on the school...

Pigs in Zen

• Chicoís Bail Bonds
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 12:08:38 pm »

This is nothing, You should see his posts in the politics forum... 😂😂😂

Piggyback78

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 12:12:03 pm »

This is nothing, You should see his posts in the politics forum... 😂😂😂

Smu type of penalty should be given to ole miss, not lethal injection😁

Pigs in Zen

• Chicoís Bail Bonds
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 12:20:31 pm »

Smu type of penalty should be given to ole miss, not lethal injection😁

Damn it! Since itís OM, I was rooting for that lethal injection option! 😂😉

Jokes aside, OM absolutely deserves the NCAAís Death Penalty. I also feel the same about a couple other schools just east of Mississippi.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 04:13:18 pm »

The NCAA doesn't enforce rules, it enforces an economic order.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 10:53:38 pm »

BoarnSupremacy

• Varsity
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 09:13:53 am »

I hate OM the most of any other SEC team.   Not just for this but also for the apparent effort to injure players in last game.  Other stuff too over the years.

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 09:56:44 am »

NCAA has proven that they really donít want to enforce the rules.  The FBI gifted them examples in court of recruiting violations.  The NCAA has done nothing.   Itís a joke.

widespreadsooie

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 03:44:20 pm »

I don't think the NCAA has as much power as one would think. It would explain why the public sees them sitting on their hands in a lot of situations. The money that is generated from college athletics is too much for the NCAA to consistently be involved with the perpetual violations that exist in college athletics.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2019, 07:14:40 pm »

Ole Miss should have gotten the death penalty, for two years. Problem solved and example set. Possibly even a deterrent for future offenders. Right now there is no real fear to deter anything. 

LZH

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2019, 07:21:52 pm »

Ole Miss should have gotten the death penalty, for two years. Problem solved and example set. Possibly even a deterrent for future offenders. Right now there is no real fear to deter anything. 

I'd say it should empower each and every P5 program in the country.  I think it would be hilarious if boosters and bagmen just said screw it and did everything right out in the open....flipping the ol' bird at the NCAA in the process.

Ironhawg

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2019, 07:21:55 pm »

I don't think the NCAA has as much power as one would think. It would explain why the public sees them sitting on their hands in a lot of situations. The money that is generated from college athletics is too much for the NCAA to consistently be involved with the perpetual violations that exist in college athletics.

This nails it.  The NCAA is not going to kill the goose the brings them the golden eggs by actually requiring everyone to follow the rules.  They just have too much to lose. 

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 03:45:08 pm »

So, it's hard as hell getting an actual human at the NCAA to explain this deal.
Does anybody know: Was this loophole something the NCAA began doing with Southern Cal after hitting them so hard with scholarship losses back in the Kiffin coaching period (over Pete Carroll/Reggie Bush/Agents indiscretions)? That when the probation period was over, even if you were docked 10 scholarships the previous year, you could then sign a huge class the next year and count back as well so as to rebuild your roster faster?

Seems completely unfair to say "Ole Miss, you can only sign 22 players in 2018 because of sanctions" and they sign 20, under the limit, but then sign 31 in 2019, counting back however many they plan to count back. What was the point in docking them any scholarships in 2018?

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 04:06:43 pm »

So, it's hard as hell getting an actual human at the NCAA to explain this deal.
Does anybody know: Was this loophole something the NCAA began doing with Southern Cal after hitting them so hard with scholarship losses back in the Kiffin coaching period (over Pete Carroll/Reggie Bush/Agents indiscretions)? That when the probation period was over, even if you were docked 10 scholarships the previous year, you could then sign a huge class the next year and count back as well so as to rebuild your roster faster?

Seems completely unfair to say "Ole Miss, you can only sign 22 players in 2018 because of sanctions" and they sign 20, under the limit, but then sign 31 in 2019, counting back however many they plan to count back. What was the point in docking them any scholarships in 2018?

ummmmm, that was the entire purpose of this thread and the original post....

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2019, 04:09:00 pm »

ummmmm, that was the entire purpose of this thread and the original post....

ummmm, read the first paragraph and try to answer it. That was the point of the post.

plumbhog

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2019, 12:06:02 am »

Since we already have the Houston Nutt rule we may as well offset it with the Ole Miss loophole.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas