• 10,311,536 Posts
• 408,462 Topics
• 23,339 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Basil Shabazz.  (Read 6741 times)

Grag T

Re: Basil Shabazz.
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2019, 04:48:02 pm »

It would be like Emeril and Shaq coming together to create the greatest seasoning ever, with Giada as the front woman!

I could easily see Kevin Belton cooking with a lot of Basil Shabazz seasoning.  :)

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2019, 05:33:38 pm »

IF we are talking about pure athlete and only about high school....the state of Arkansas has NEVER produced a better athlete than Basil Shabazz! Not Dmac, not Corliss, not Eckwood, and not Burks (i've seen them all play). There may have been better FOOTBALL players but not a better athlete. Basil at about 5'-8" or so was dunking a basketball in the 6th or 7th grade! His physical accomplishments are the standard of greatness in Pine Bluff a city that has had it's fair share of great athletes. The greatest that never was...yeah unfortunately that is true but I am convinced Basil was physically capable of being a professional athlete in 4 sports football, basketball, baseball and track.
how would you rate the top kids that you have seen play in person?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

zebradynasty

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2019, 05:52:53 pm »

Football wise Dmac and Burks are as good as I've seen. Eckwood just a tad behind them in my opinion Shabazz was a better football player than Eckwood. But as an athlete Shabazz was better than all 3 by a clear noticeable amount.

HogBreath

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2019, 06:16:44 pm »

I often wore spandex under my shorts. On that particular day, I somehow ripped my shorts and ran that event in just the spandex. My coach was pissed at me as my best prior to that event had been 1:57. I don't remember for sure, but it seems like that DQ cost us the meet.

Knocking five seconds off your time, and you were already under two minutes...is just unheard of.  That's incredible.  Did you balance the time off of both laps or more so one than the other?

HogBreath

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2019, 06:24:28 pm »

Football wise Dmac and Burks are as good as I've seen. Eckwood just a tad behind them in my opinion Shabazz was a better football player than Eckwood. But as an athlete Shabazz was better than all 3 by a clear noticeable amount.

Shabazz would have been a hall of fame level NFL safety. I saw him as a high school sophomore make as good a hit, on the Central tailback, who was a great back, all state type, as you've ever seen.  Just an exploding, run thru the guy type of decleating.  Shabazz's closing speed was just off the charts.  I knew that second, he was a different kind of talent.

Mike Irwin

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2019, 07:07:06 pm »

Before he tore up his knee (in a time when ACL surgeries produced questionable results) Jerry Eckwood was the best football player from Arkansas I've seen, Shabazz included. 

Impossible to compare athletes from different sports.

oldhawg

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2019, 07:12:48 pm »

I have often thought that Ben Cowins gets overlooked in discussions about Arkansas running backs.  First Razorback to have three consecutive 1000 yard seasons (since then DMAC and Alex Collins have joined the club), third leading all time rusher behind DMac and Collins, three times named All-SWC.

This was written (or re-published) in 2014 about Cowins:

"2007 University of Arkansas Sports Hall of Honor Inductee:
Arkansasí all-time career leading rusher, he is one of only 10 Razorbacks to earn All-Southwest Conference honors three times (1976-78). Cowins utilized his speed and strength to rush for a school record 3,570 yards with 16 100-yard rushing games. The St. Louis, Mo., native also holds the UA mark with 635 carries. He led the SWC with a 6.3-yard rushing average in 1976. He led the team in rushing (1,162) and total offense in 1976 (1,162), and in rushing in 1977 (1,192) and in 1978 (1,006). His 5.62-yard average per career rush ranks second in school history. His 30 career rushing touchdowns rank third in school history. His average of 5.61 yards per carry for his career ranks seventh in school history, while his 180 points scored and 3,570 total offensive yards rank 11th. His 89-yard touchdown run against Tulsa in 1976 is the second-longest scoring run in school history. A team captain in 1978, he was named to UAís All-Decade team. Following his collegiate career, he represented the Razorbacks in the 1979 Hula Bowl and logged time with the Philadelphia Eagles and the Kansas City Chiefs of the NFL, and the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League."

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/ben_cowins_923099/

Mike Irwin

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2019, 07:58:51 pm »

Before he got hurt Eckwood's running style was flat amazing. He might not have had D-Mac's burst but the kid could move left and right at full speed and he was plenty fast. I mean he did not slow down at all.

Quick feet, the ability to turn on a dime, trumps straight line speed in football. Damien Williams at Springdale could do that and he never broke 11 flat in the 100 meters. Williams could stop and be back at full speed in two or three steps.

Eckwood could change directions and never slow down at all.

bvillepig

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2019, 09:31:39 pm »

Jerry Eckwood before the back and knee injuries was the best of my time. Not even close. When I first saw Dmac Eckwood instantly reminded me of him. I would have liked to have seen that race.

Never saw Shabazz but would have liked to have seen him in college. There is no comparison between college and high school so we will never know if Shabazz would have been there equal.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2019, 09:43:06 pm »

IF we are talking about pure athlete and only about high school....the state of Arkansas has NEVER produced a better athlete than Basil Shabazz! Not Dmac, not Corliss, not Eckwood, and not Burks (i've seen them all play). There may have been better FOOTBALL players but not a better athlete. Basil at about 5'-8" or so was dunking a basketball in the 6th or 7th grade! His physical accomplishments are the standard of greatness in Pine Bluff a city that has had it's fair share of great athletes. The greatest that never was...yeah unfortunately that is true but I am convinced Basil was physically capable of being a professional athlete in 4 sports football, basketball, baseball and track.

I saw this kid destroy Texarkana in the State Championship game in LR!
And I got to see him in the Arkansas state track meet in Hot Springs!.
With a better family situation He would be more legendary than he is !

Papawhawg

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2019, 09:44:25 pm »

Think about Shabazz and Hunter on the same HS baseball team!

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2019, 10:01:26 pm »

I'll say this about Burks I can't think of any kid with his size and skill Arkansas has ever produced. Maybe Keith Jackson...

IronMountainHog

• Hogvillian
  • ďIt ainít Arkan, itís Arkansas baby!!Ē -DMAC 2007
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2019, 10:54:11 pm »

I once saw a school bus full of nuns that had tipped over in a ditch, I saw Basil Shabazz jump into that ditch and bench press it until it landed upright. Instead of calling 911, he took off into a sprint to the local firehouse and sent back the EMTís. Dude was strong and he was fast lol. ???

ballz2thewall

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2019, 09:42:00 am »

bruce jenner won the decathlon. he's now a girl.

for some reason this seems relevant..........

and it begs the question: what COULD he have been?

LZH

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2019, 09:45:37 am »

bruce jenner won the decathlon. he's now a girl.

Sig line stuff, right here......:)

Big Boi

• Senior
  • The Rodney Dangerfield of Razorbacks
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2019, 11:32:23 am »

Matt Jones
NFL Combine
6'6 240lb
40yd 4.3
Vertical 40"

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2019, 11:34:46 am »

I'll say this about Burks I can't think of any kid with his size and skill Arkansas has ever produced. Maybe Keith Jackson...
agreed.. i think the thing that makes him so good is that he could legit play 11 positions at the college level. Itís insane. Thatís why i have a hard time thinking he isnít one of the top 20 players in the country because of his versatility.  He can do it all and all at a very high level. I only saw McFadden 2 times in high school and was unimpressed both times with his performance but the teams he played against were better than his so i know that had something to do with it. Another kid that i would put up there as one of the best i have watched a lot of was Bret Smith. He put up some insane numbers his senior season.  Probably the greatest season by any Arkansas high school player ever.  Iíd probably bet money on it.

VBMark

• Senior
  • It's time to put a lil' WPS on somebody
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2019, 12:26:48 pm »

Well, no.
http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Track_Field/State_Meet_Records_and_Overall_Records.pdf

I'm still kind of raw about the 7A 800 meter record. I ran a 1:52 flat in 1989 at conference in Fort Smith but was disqualified for a uniform infraction.

Majestic, scroll to the overall records at the bottom of your link. He still holds the overall record for the 200 meters.

VBMark

• Senior
  • It's time to put a lil' WPS on somebody
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2019, 12:30:53 pm »

I should also add that he was the anchor leg on the 4◊100m team that set the record the prior to the 200 meter record.

Freddy_Mercury

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2019, 12:37:41 pm »

Corliss was a great player, but donít forget Hall of Fame and 6 time NBA Champ Scottie Pippen.

liljo

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2019, 01:25:54 pm »

Before he tore up his knee (in a time when ACL surgeries produced questionable results) Jerry Eckwood was the best football player from Arkansas I've seen, Shabazz included. 

That is the truth, Mike. I saw Eck first hand. There are no words.

I followed Madre Hillís career starting when he was in grade school. He was simply as fast as he needed to be under any circumstances. If the guy chasing him was 4.5, Madre was 4.45. If he was 4.45, Madre was 4.40, etc.

I didnít see D-Mac until college, but,as we all know, he was incredible.

I only saw Basil once live, but he made one of the most unbelievable runs imaginable at WMS in the state championship game.

Arkansas has produced some legendary athletes. I sure hope Burks, Henry, and Justice Hill enjoy their time. Because this is their time.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2019, 01:49:41 pm »

agreed.. i think the thing that makes him so good is that he could legit play 11 positions at the college level. Itís insane. Thatís why i have a hard time thinking he isnít one of the top 20 players in the country because of his versatility.  He can do it all and all at a very high level. I only saw McFadden 2 times in high school and was unimpressed both times with his performance but the teams he played against were better than his so i know that had something to do with it. Another kid that i would put up there as one of the best i have watched a lot of was Bret Smith. He put up some insane numbers his senior season.  Probably the greatest season by any Arkansas high school player ever.  Iíd probably bet money on it.

This is just stupid.  I have watched Burks since he first started playing high school ball being he's from my hometown, but don't just make up stuff about the kid.  He's one of the best players I've ever seen come out of Arkansas, he can play a legit 4 positions in high school football, saying 11 positions in College football just makes you look dumb.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2019, 02:07:59 pm »

Corliss was a great player, but donít forget Hall of Fame and 6 time NBA Champ Scottie Pippen.

Corliss was of course a very good high school and college basketball player. Pippen was a below average high school player that blossomed while in college.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2019, 03:48:06 pm »

This is just stupid.  I have watched Burks since he first started playing high school ball being he's from my hometown, but don't just make up stuff about the kid.  He's one of the best players I've ever seen come out of Arkansas, he can play a legit 4 positions in high school football, saying 11 positions in College football just makes you look dumb.
please tell me what 4 positions he can play? Heís from my hometown also.... lmao and i may be dumb in your opinion but im not the only that that has said it... lol... maybe youíre the clueless one??

IronMountainHog

• Hogvillian
  • ďIt ainít Arkan, itís Arkansas baby!!Ē -DMAC 2007
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2019, 04:27:27 pm »

please tell me what 4 positions he can play? Heís from my hometown also.... lmao and i may be dumb in your opinion but im not the only that that has said it... lol... maybe youíre the clueless one??
Name 11 please. He canít play either line, tight end, quarterback, running back.

Airforcehawg

• The Original
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2019, 05:22:00 pm »

Keniko Logan is another one. That dude was dominant in any sport. While a beast in Football and track...I seen him jump from the free throw line and dunk. Also would hit bomb after bomb "messing around" at batting practice.

cypert2

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2019, 06:26:27 pm »

So true. Shabazz just a bunch a shoulda coulda woulda talk.

1highhog

« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2019, 06:31:56 pm »

In high school he can play WR, QB, LB, and return kickoffs.  In College, he will play WR and could play LB at any College in America.  That's 2.

1highhog

« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2019, 06:34:59 pm »

Name 11 please. He canít play either line, tight end, quarterback, running back.

I guess he didn't get the main point I was making, the difference being in high school to College.  But 11? ROFLMAO.  That would put Burks at playing on either Oline or Dline in College, WTH!

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2019, 06:50:15 pm »

Receiver
Tight end
LB
S
Qb
DE
Punt returns
Kickoff returns

1highhog

« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2019, 07:13:36 pm »

Receiver
Tight end
LB
S
Qb
DE
Punt returns
Kickoff returns

You named 8 and boss, I hate to tell you, but Burks can't play QB in college.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2019, 07:30:40 pm »

You named 8 and boss, I hate to tell you, but Burks can't play QB in college.
Some of those positions have multiple spots. Only positions he has zero chance of playing in my opinion are interior d line, o line, and corner spots.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2019, 07:46:42 pm »

Jerry Eckwood before the back and knee injuries was the best of my time. Not even close.
I used to sit in a video edit room and watch video over and over of his running style. I was trying to figure out what made him different from other top backs I'd seen. 

I figured the answer could be found somewhere in a kinesiology course I took in college. According to google kinesiology, "addresses physiological, biomechanical, and psychological dynamic principles and mechanisms of movement." That's way over my head.

The only (very unscientific) thing I could come up with is that Eckwood had a thing going on with his feet, ankles, knees and hips that allowed him to motor down the field at a very high rate of speed in a gliding motion. He changed directions effortlessly almost as if his brain received signals from upcoming obstacles and made appropriate adjustments at exactly the right moment.

His knee injury changed that. He was still a good runner but no longer unique.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2019, 08:29:59 pm »

Majestic, scroll to the overall records at the bottom of your link. He still holds the overall record for the 200 meters.

Shabazz owned the long jump record for quite a while. So at one time Shabazz had 3 High School All Time records in Arkansas Track & Field. He was close to 100 meters record but his best time was not at a state sanction meet still 10.5 ranks up there. 

Papawhawg

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2019, 09:35:51 pm »

Well, I've never seen him play in person, but I'd say there's at least a chance he could play these positions....

There are 3, sometimes 4 LB positions
2 safety positions
2 DE positions
? WR positions
TE
RB
Punt returner
KO returner

And if DMac can play QB, then I'd say Burks could.
We will see I guess, but saying someone is stupid for saying he could play 11 is a little strong.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2019, 09:50:49 pm »

Well, I've never seen him play in person, but I'd say there's at least a chance he could play these positions....

2 safety positions
2 DE positions
? WR positions
TE
RB
Punt returner
KO returner

We will see I guess, but saying someone is stupid for saying he could play 11 is a little strong.
thank you... obviously he would have to put on some weight to play some of these positions.. but he has the frame to do that... he is 10 lbs lighter than the TE we brought in and 2 of the D ends we brought in. And bigger than the LB we signed Zionís. Iím just going on what i have seen in person athletic wise from him and what i have heard from coaches, and recruiters that get paid to do this stuff. If Hembree tells me face to face he can play them at the next level i believe him.

Papawhawg

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2019, 09:59:25 pm »

thank you... obviously he would have to put on some weight to play some of these positions.. but he has the frame to do that... he is 10 lbs lighter than the TE we brought in and 2 of the D ends we brought in. And bigger than the LB we signed Zionís. Iím just going on what i have seen in person athletic wise from him and what i have heard from coaches, and recruiters that get paid to do this stuff. If Hembree tells me face to face he can play them at the next level i believe him.

Yep, I'd say he should know. At least more than that other guy.  ???

And, I didn't see anything in you post that said "any college in America"

1highhog

« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2019, 10:25:19 pm »

2 safety positions
2 DE positions
? WR positions
TE
RB
Punt returner
KO returner

As far as I know CCM doesn't run any form of the wildcat formation like DMac run/passed out of.  DMac could not, I repeat, could not play QB, so neither will or can Burks.

1highhog

« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2019, 10:27:08 pm »

Yep, I'd say he should know. At least more than that other guy.  ???

And, I didn't see anything in you post that said "any college in America"

He can't at Arkansas, lol.

redleg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2019, 12:22:24 am »

Gonna reach way back with this one.....I think the greatest athlete to ever come out of the state of Arkansas was probably Don Hutson. This guy is considered one of, if not the greatest football player in Alabama history, is a Packer legend, is directly credited with advancing the forward pass in the NFL, and is in the HOF.

Papawhawg

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2019, 09:55:05 am »

But he did!

oldhawg

« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2019, 10:30:09 am »

Gonna reach way back with this one.....I think the greatest athlete to ever come out of the state of Arkansas was probably Don Hutson. This guy is considered one of, if not the greatest football player in Alabama history, is a Packer legend, is directly credited with advancing the forward pass in the NFL, and is in the HOF.

You may be right:

"Hutson was born on January 31, 1913, in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, one of three sons of Roy B. Hutson and Mabel Clark Hutson. While a Boy Scout, he played with snakes. He said that's where he got his quickness and agility."

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2019, 10:36:31 am »

As far as I know CCM doesn't run any form of the wildcat formation like DMac run/passed out of.  DMac could not, I repeat, could not play QB, so neither will or can Burks.
Burks should get every carry slow @** steamboat kelley got last year in short yard situations. And people around Burks have told me he will be used in a some type of wild cat package.

1highhog

« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2019, 01:32:05 pm »

Burks should get every carry slow @** steamboat kelley got last year in short yard situations. And people around Burks have told me he will be used in a some type of wild cat package.

Did Coach Morris tell you that?  If not, then I wouldn't put much stock into it.

1highhog

« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2019, 01:34:47 pm »

But I do agree with you on your point about the steamboat package, there are a couple of guys on the team this year I'd love to see get those carries.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2019, 02:39:02 pm »

Did Coach Morris tell you that?  If not, then I wouldn't put much stock into it.
well hopefully they arenít lying to the recruits. Which i donít think they are. I mean it is a strength of the certain player. Easy way to get a playmaker the ball also.

Pigsknuckles

• When you least expect it...
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2019, 10:20:58 pm »

With a name like Basil, sounds British.  And their food sucks balls.

Rathbone

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2019, 07:57:43 am »

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2019, 10:34:24 am »

V
I
N
C
E