• 10,303,239 Posts
• 408,295 Topics
• 23,335 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Basil Shabazz.  (Read 6725 times)

1highhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
Basil Shabazz.
« on: February 07, 2019, 02:49:45 pm »

103.7 the Buzz just had Shabazz on at 2:30PM, they said they'll replay it I think for those who want to listen to it, it was great to hear from him.  He's coming back home to Pine Bluff for and event this coming weekend.  Mods, feel free to put this post where it needs to go.

Rudy Baylor

Re: Basil Shabazz.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 02:54:13 pm »

first Basil Shabazz thread of the young year 2019

In!

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 02:57:11 pm »

When will we see the first Vin Ascolese thread of 2019? Both are legends in Razorback lore despite neither ever donning a Razorback uniform.

1highhog

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 03:21:16 pm »

Doesn't matter what you dillweeds think, Shabazz is a legend in Arkansas and should be, he's the best athlete that's ever come out of the State and there are ones on this Board that like to know about him.  I'm posting this info for them.  Go cheer for M. Dyer Rudy.  ;D

Razorbackers

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 03:26:41 pm »

John Daly's over here with a PGA and Open championship and yall talmbout Shabazz as best athlete smdh

DoubleReedHawgCaller

• That's nice.... Real nice!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 03:29:02 pm »

Basil, how do you spell cat?
Huh, huh, huh, huh, huh......
Time is up Basil.

HogPharmer

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 04:21:18 pm »

John Daly's over here with a PGA and Open championship and yall talmbout Shabazz as best athlete smdh

Truly a peak physical specimen

jgphillips3

• Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 04:29:11 pm »

Treylon Burks is probably the closest one to Basil Shabazz in total athletic ability to play multiple positions/sports.  They are just God gifted freak athletes.

1highhog

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 04:57:02 pm »

Treylon Burks is probably the closest one to Basil Shabazz in total athletic ability to play multiple positions/sports.  They are just God gifted freak athletes.

I've seen both play, both have unique abilities that would beat out the other, but Basil was truly a special one.  I know he'll make a lot of young kids happy this weekend.

IronMountainHog

• Hogvillian
  • “It ain’t Arkan, it’s Arkansas baby!!” -DMAC 2007
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 05:30:10 pm »

Funny how no one mentions Corliss. Physical specimen, dominated taller guys inside, cleared the lane, played like he was much taller than he was.

McDonalds All American in high school
Gatorade National Player of year twice

First year - Sweet 16
Second year - National title, Final Four MVP
Third year - Played for National Title
Two time Consensus All American
Two time SEC player of the year
SEC Athlete of the year

NBA champ
NBA 6th man of the year
Gold medal FIBA U21 team

His accomplishments are second to none.

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 05:34:36 pm »

Got to throw DMAC in that conversation too. great football player and could do other sports too

IronMountainHog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 05:36:53 pm »

Basil fast at track, set records in high school

Basil fast, excelled at high school football, won state title

Basil excelled at high school baseball, did nothing in pro baseball even at lowest levels

No doubt he was good, but best ever can be disputed. His legacy is all about what if and potential.

HogPharmer

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 05:38:20 pm »

Basil excelled at high school baseball, did nothing in pro baseball even at lowest levels

No doubt he was good, but best ever can be disputed. He legacy is all about what if and potential.

Truly a case of "the best that never was..."

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 06:14:04 pm »

McFadden and Corliss say "not so fast my friend". He may be the best should've, could've.

26.2Hog

• The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 07:10:06 pm »

No doubt he was good, but best ever can be disputed. His legacy is all about what if and potential.

Exactly.  People can debate whether he was the best in high school.  He was outstanding for sure.  In high school.

After high school?  Doesn't even belong in the discussion.

jjdlc

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 08:53:28 pm »

When will we see the first Vin Ascolese thread of 2019? Both are legends in Razorback lore despite neither ever donning a Razorback uniform.
it was in the recruiting forum on NSD.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 09:26:18 pm »

Basil set records that *still* are on the books, after decades of athletes having the opportunity to break them.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 09:41:18 pm »

In!

A little late for some reason. Usually they show up the day after the last game!

majestic

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 10:03:02 pm »

Basil set records that *still* are on the books, after decades of athletes having the opportunity to break them.

Well, no.
http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Track_Field/State_Meet_Records_and_Overall_Records.pdf

I'm still kind of raw about the 7A 800 meter record. I ran a 1:52 flat in 1989 at conference in Fort Smith but was disqualified for a uniform infraction.

jchill

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 10:20:32 pm »

Well, no.
http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Track_Field/State_Meet_Records_and_Overall_Records.pdf

I'm still kind of raw about the 7A 800 meter record. I ran a 1:52 flat in 1989 at conference in Fort Smith but was disqualified for a uniform infraction.

That was an awesome time Majestic! My teammate Robert Bradley's 800 record of 1:51.7 still stands. I think the 80's was the golden decade of Arkansas Track and Field.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 10:34:27 pm »

He was the best high school athlete in the state. Unfortunately he was never able to take things to the next level and we can debate on what those reasons could be. Anyone that watched him play knows how special he could have been.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 11:04:04 pm »

hoglady

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 11:19:08 pm »

Why so cynical ??

He was probably the best high school athlete this state has ever produced.
"The Great Shabazz"

He chose the wrong sport.
He should have gone the track route and who knows what might have been.

Just because he didn't do anything in college or professional sports - that in no way should diminish his
dominance of high school sports during that time.

hoglady

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 11:21:12 pm »

103.7 the Buzz just had Shabazz on at 2:30PM, they said they'll replay it I think for those who want to listen to it, it was great to hear from him.  He's coming back home to Pine Bluff for and event this coming weekend.  Mods, feel free to put this post where it needs to go.

Thanks for posting.
I heard them talking yesterday that he would be on today and I got tied up on an appointment and didn't get to hear it.
Maybe it will be on The Buzz website.

IronMountainHog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 11:51:35 pm »

Part of that is no one runs track anymore. Well, unless track is all you do. Very few of the recruits we signed this class run track. With the implementation of spring football, track got left behind. Shabazz was fast nonetheless, but long jump is his only state record left.

razortrack

• Varsity
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 04:01:37 am »

In!

What’s the Vegas line on total Shabazz threads this year?

DoubleReedHawgCaller

• That's nice.... Real nice!
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 06:33:40 am »

Wasn't Basil like 20 in ninth grade?....

Bob Slydell

• Senior
  • Well, just a second there professor...
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2019, 08:20:01 am »

Barry Lunney Jr belongs in any conversation about best overall athletes to come out of Arkansas.

tbhogfan

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2019, 08:30:52 am »

Basil also had the advantage of being 19 as a senior, and ran his times hand timed. 

younghog

• Keep em coming
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2019, 08:32:55 am »

Basil was a BAD DUDE.. Best athlete since Bo Jackson in all sports.. ~ Real Talk

Franchise_Hog

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2019, 08:42:08 am »

McFadden and Corliss say "not so fast my friend". He may be the best should've, could've.

Definitely agree with Corliss.  I'll tell you someone I personally thought was better in high school than McFadden, and that's Cedric Cobbs.    I graduated high school in 1997 and no one could touch C4, he was more physically gifted (stronger) than Basil. Basil was just a little before my time, never saw him in person, only watched game tape. Cedric rarely had more than 12 carries or so, never really even played the 2nd half of games it seemed.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2019, 09:03:21 am »

Shabazz is the best I have ever heard about but never saw...

Mcfadden and Burks are the best I have ever seen in person.... mainly because they did everything for their teams and were the best at every one of those positions on the field every night.

But with Burks... not sure the state has ever had a kid that could legit play all but 9 positions at the next level (SEC). He was also all state in every sport he played since the day he got in high school until his injury.

And no im not saying Burks is better than them... but hes not far behind from the high school stand point.

TushCrush

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2019, 09:09:04 am »

Well, no.

Russellville had two good half milers in '70. I was lucky enough to see them both run. Feltner was a machine. What was your uni infraction?

Hogmatic

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2019, 09:17:10 am »

I think that Shabazz is good content during the off season.  No problem with me.

majestic

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2019, 10:10:19 am »

Russellville had two good half milers in '70. I was lucky enough to see them both run. Feltner was a machine. What was your uni infraction?

I often wore spandex under my shorts. On that particular day, I somehow ripped my shorts and ran that event in just the spandex. My coach was pissed at me as my best prior to that event had been 1:57. I don't remember for sure, but it seems like that DQ cost us the meet.

1highhog

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2019, 10:18:00 am »

Wasn't Basil like 20 in ninth grade?....

He was a man among boys that's for sure, but he was the same age as everyone around him.  Shabazz had no father in his life, and his mother was not around either.  Basil from the tragic surroundings and having no parents in his life did okay.  Torii Hunters parents were the main ones that looked after Basil, and a few others were around at times, but Pine Bluffs school system really let Basil down as well.  They passed him so he could keep playing sports, all the while his grades were not up to par.  Sad situation.   
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 10:39:30 am by 1highhog »

1highhog

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2019, 10:37:10 am »

Basil also had the advantage of being 19 as a senior, and ran his times hand timed. 

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2013/jul/16/one-got-away/

Whatever you say there boss, but not to many 41 year old's running around in sweat pants like this,,,.

RedRazorHog

• Varsity
  • Love the Hogs....Wanna see us return to Glory!
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2019, 10:51:52 am »

Don’t forget about Sidney Moncreif... he should be in the conversation as well.

Polecat

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2019, 11:41:54 am »

Ricky Norton from Okalona

hawkhawg

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2019, 12:01:54 pm »

In a discussion of Best Athletes in Arkansas High School history, you can't leave out Matt Jones and Marcus Monk.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2019, 12:16:51 pm »

I never saw Shabazz in person, but his tape was outstanding. One of the best I've seen in AR on tape if not the best.

Matt Jones is one I saw in person numerous times. If only he had a better work ethic, he could have been a great pro WR. It took him awhile to get going but with work, that could have improved. SEC DBs were still taking bad angles on him as a SR and he left them in the dust.

I saw McFadden once in HS and it was hard to tell much as the field at Alma was a swamp due to a full week of rain before that game. That whole "Alma stopped McFadden" narrative is suburban myth.

Yes, he only had 50 yards or so on around 10 carries, but Oak Grove was in a wishbone type offense and they simply denied him the ball. They had 190 lb kids in the O line and some that looked to be maybe 5'8 320 who couldn't get out of their own way. I also suspect someone left the field uncovered that whole week of rain leading up to the game.

The OG staff seemed flummoxed as to how to deal with the Alma scheme and DMac didn't have much help. The coach finally put him at QB after they got way behind. Some hillbilly in overalls kept taunting him loudly, I don't think the guy had any idea who he was or would become.

His FR year he had a run vs Alabama in which an All-SEC DB got knocked down by his stiff arm and another starter got left behind like he was standing still. I knew then just how good he was and would become.

I first saw Corliss in a Junior High game when he was in the 8th grade. I went to see my nephew play vs Gardner Jr High I think it was, the Russellville middle school. My first thought was "who is that grown man playing for the other team?"

He was almost as big as he was at UA even then, probably 6'5 230 at least. Had several thundering dunks and most of the other kids could barely touch the rim..

He could have been a great TE or DE but he made the right choice. I was certain he would play in the NBA within a few years, and got scoffed at by homers for the other team when I said so.

Madre Hill was great in his time. Too bad the medical technology was not where it is now with ACL surgery or he could have been an all time great. As it was he was special in college before the injuries.

I'm old enough to remember Jerry Eckwood also. I never saw him in person, but he was better than Shabazz in my opinion. Again, like Hill, injuries derailed his career. That back thing before his FR year dogged him for the rest of his career which included a few good years for the TB Bucs before injuries ended his career early.

As far as AR HS athletes, I would go with those six:

1. DMac
2. Eckwood
3. Shabazz
4. Corliss
5. Madre Hill
6. Matt Jones

One name I haven't seen other than a passing comment is Torii Hunter. The guy was a star in MLB for years, had a son who played football at Notre Dame. I never saw him play other than in the majors so I can't really speak about his HS career..

Pigsknuckles

• When you least expect it...
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2019, 01:01:21 pm »

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2013/jul/16/one-got-away/

This was well worth the read. Most of us screw up, but manage to recover. Basil had his shots, but the timing of his hiccups was often  on the unlucky side.

parallaxpig

• Hogvillian
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2019, 01:07:18 pm »

The best that never was.....

1highhog

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2019, 02:14:48 pm »

The best that never was.....

For those that always dog Basil on here that's fine, opinions are like a$$holes, we all have them. 
Corliss Williamson, One of the best high school basketball players this State has ever produced that went to the UofA and helped bring us our 1st and only National Championship, then on to the NBA where he won the 6th man of the year award and a NBA Championship.

DMac, one of the best high school football players this State has ever produced and will ever produce, went to the UofA where he was under utilized with his other running mates but still won the Doak Walker award two years in a row, plus got robbed out of the Heisman Trophy.  Went on to the NFL where he was on a bad team the entire life of his career and dealt with a slew of injuries, never realizing his true potential.

Sidney Moncrief, one of the best if not the best basketball player to ever come out of Arkansas, Sidney had a tremendous career at the UofA before entering the NBA ad playing 11 seasons and winning the first two NBA Defensive Player of the Year awards in 1983 and 1984.

Matt Jones, one of the best best to ever come out of Arkansas, his one drawback would be his low key, or laid back attitude.  If Matt Jones would have applied himself as other great players did, the sky could have been the limit for him.  He played football at the UofA and had a really good career, and had what could only be termed as miraculous runs at times against teams.  He went on to the NFL where he was drafted to play wide receiver, a position he really didn't relish.  With his speed and freakish athletic abilities, he could have been special, but he just didn't have the drive needed for greatness.  Still, a very special player.

Basil, a player out of Pine Bluff Arkansas that many got to see, but he never made it past High School to where he could have truly made a name for himself.  He was a 4 sport athlete, excelled at football and only played one year of high school baseball before being offered by the Major Leagues.  While playing in the minors, a major thing hit that according to Basil changed his whole life at that point, his brother got shot and killed.  Basil, who was missing a father and who had a mother run out on them, saw this as a breaking point that at the time he said he just lost all drive he ever had to compete.  When charged in possessing a gun and drugs on the UCA campus at this time, the team that he was signed with cut all ties with him and no other team wanted anything to do with him.  So he was done with baseball.  When he tried later on to play college football after a long layoff at UAPB, he He was doing the right things on and off the field, and then a nasty hit to the head ended his career.  He was diagnosed with spinal stenosis, the same thing that ended Michael Irvin's career.  So ended the what if's of Basil Shabazz the athlete and then entered the story of Basil Shabazz the man. 

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/basil-shabazz-badly-wanted-to-be-a-razorback/

hoglady

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2019, 03:16:04 pm »

Shabazz could have been a world class track athlete.

Can't imagine his ceiling if he had taken that route and dedicated himself to the sport.

Grag T

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2019, 03:27:58 pm »

"Basil Shabazz" sounds like something tasty you would cook on the grill.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2019, 03:42:36 pm »

"Basil Shabazz" sounds like something tasty you would cook on the grill.
It would be like Emeril and Shaq coming together to create the greatest seasoning ever, with Giada as the front woman!

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2019, 04:15:00 pm »

With a name like Basil, sounds British.  And their food sucks balls.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2019, 04:30:32 pm »

IF we are talking about pure athlete and only about high school....the state of Arkansas has NEVER produced a better athlete than Basil Shabazz! Not Dmac, not Corliss, not Eckwood, and not Burks (i've seen them all play). There may have been better FOOTBALL players but not a better athlete. Basil at about 5'-8" or so was dunking a basketball in the 6th or 7th grade! His physical accomplishments are the standard of greatness in Pine Bluff a city that has had it's fair share of great athletes. The greatest that never was...yeah unfortunately that is true but I am convinced Basil was physically capable of being a professional athlete in 4 sports football, basketball, baseball and track.

HogPharmer

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2019, 04:32:34 pm »

It would be like Emeril and Shaq coming together to create the greatest seasoning ever, with Giada as the front woman!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas