• 10,303,196 Posts
• 408,294 Topics
• 23,335 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recruiting classes  (Read 1909 times)

colt07

• Band Nerd
  • Itís not the years, honey. Itís the mileage!
Recruiting classes
« on: February 07, 2019, 10:28:25 am »

Just saw 247 Sports ranking of the 2019 SEC recruiting classes. The rankings were updated at 9:20 CST on Feb 7 so I would say that is pretty up to date. Now I realize there is nothing more tenuous, changeable, and just down right unpredictable than 18 year old football players potential but I found the rankings interesting.

Arkansas probably had one of its best recruiting classes EVER.

The Hogs are #10 in the SEC. Only Miss State, KY, Mizzou, and Vandy were below us.  Three of those teams beat us last year (we didnít play KY thankfully).

The Hogs are #6 in the SEC West only ahead of Miss State.

Admittedly Hogs, Ole Miss, and Miss State are all very close in the rankings, pretty much interchangeable.

The Hogs were #23 nationally which is pretty darn good.

All that being said, we will be on the plane from ATL this fall on Friday nights to head west to ĎCall the Hogsí. They are going to need our support. They really have a tough Ďrow to hoeí.

Thoughts?

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=SEC

CaptainHog

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Recruiting classes
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 10:37:38 am »

It is ludicrous to be a top 20 class and 10th in the SEC...no shame in the recruiting but it's an elite conference when it comes to recruiting.   Best we can probably hope for is to be in the top 6 in SEC should we have some 9 or 10 win seasons...

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 11:02:27 am »

The SEC seems to be getting more and more top talent every year. The SECw is incredible.

welchog

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 11:09:03 am »

The SEC seems to be getting more and more top talent every year. The SECw is incredible.

And poor little ole Clemson keeps taking them to the woodshed.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 11:43:53 am »

did I count correct including hicks we got 26 players overall?

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 11:51:54 am »

This isn't Petrino's SEC.  It's a much tougher conference top to bottom now.

gmarv

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 12:12:45 pm »

If we can just keep getting 10-11 4* recruits each year the rankings probable won't be what causes us to be able to compete in the league.So  here's to hoping next years class looks a whole lot like this one.

PORKULATOR

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 12:28:44 pm »

I've seen us as low as 25th and 7th in the WEST, 11th in the SEC.
However,  I think kids rankings go down for choosing us. Talent wise, I give us a #13 nationally.  My opinion

ALLVOL

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 01:07:38 pm »

I think this class will be the beginning of some good things for the Hogs. And what the poster who said "10-11 4 stars" is spot on. The difference in top 25 classes usually aren't as big talent wise as the average fan thinks from top to bottom. There are some great players in this Hogs class. As long as your team is in the top 30, you're bringing in some elite talent.

Nafunu32

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 01:52:22 pm »

I feel like thereís not a lot of difference in recruit rankings between 5-25. Looking at the rankings, one kid being scored higher or lower on each team could move them up or down multiple places. I think itís more about how they mesh as a unit than being ranked 12th vs 20th.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 06:13:10 am »

And really, it isn't even close and I think that overall, we may be about to see the SEC separate itself from the other conferences again. Here is the number of teams that each P-5 conference had in 247's top 25.

SEC-11
Big Ten-5
Pac 12-4
ACC-2 (guess who?)
Big 12-2 (guess who again?)
IND-1 

Hogmatic

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 09:16:06 am »

The bigger issue is that this is one of our best ever recruiting classes.   We will get better with this class.  The rankings don't matter much when you are in the insane SECW

oldhawg

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 09:34:38 am »

IMO the obvious key to Razorback success is to win the games they are supposed, and win a little more than their share of "toss-up" games.  That would at least get the momentum headed in the right direction.

hawg IQ

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 09:56:44 am »

IMO the obvious key to Razorback success is to win the games they are supposed, and win a little more than their share of "toss-up" games.  That would at least get the momentum headed in the right direction.
without much argument, this is the best recruited class in a while. Giving the fact this came on the heals of a 2-10 season. Now if coaching gets on even ground with recruiting, it might be a sign of good things to come.

Bmockeg

• Band Nerd
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 10:07:00 am »

Talent wise we hauled in a top 10 class. If you look at Burks and Henry, they were both ranked as high as 25 overall. Evaluation is not an exact science, however more talent will get you more wins if you have equal coaching, scheme, buy in etc. After a 2 win season this class is a HAUL! The best recruit for immediate wins is Ben Hicks. I don't think people understand how big of a difference a competent experienced quarterback will help. We probably win at least 6 games last year with Ben Hicks.

EastexHawg

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 10:55:29 am »

Not true.  Alabama and LSU were the top two teams in the country in 2011.  South Carolina was a top ten team in 2011 when we whipped them like a tied up goat at RRS.  They made the SEC Championship Game in 2010 when we also stomped them in Columbia.  Mississippi State was 7-2 at the time and a top 15 team when we beat them in Starkville.  Auburn won the national championship in 2010 and had the same record in 2011 that they had last year...despite the fact that they got a net gain of one game against us (lost to us in 2011, hammered us in 2017).  Ole Miss is mediocre now and was less than mediocre in 2010-2011, but from 2008-2011...the Petrino years...they were a combined 24-26.  Over the last four years they have been 26-23.

Those are six of our conference opponents...Alabama, LSU, Mississippi State, Auburn, Ole Miss, and South Carolina.  Petrino also played Florida in 2008 and 2009...national champions in 2008 and 13-1 in 2009.

Who are these much tougher SEC opponents we are playing now than during the Petrino years?

EconHawg

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 11:15:15 am »

Whats important is that we're recruiting at the level we should be, hanging around with the rest of the conference. That means, if we have a great in-state class that pops up and gives us a top 15-10 class at some point, we have talented top 25 classes sandwiched around that class so that we can take full advantage of it. 23rd-ish has to be the average going forward and not the high-water mark and we'll be in good shape.

Al Boarland

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 01:19:37 pm »

Not true.  Alabama and LSU were the top two teams in the country in 2011.  South Carolina was a top ten team in 2011 when we whipped them like a tied up goat at RRS.  They made the SEC Championship Game in 2010 when we also stomped them in Columbia.  Mississippi State was 7-2 at the time and a top 15 team when we beat them in Starkville.  Auburn won the national championship in 2010 and had the same record in 2011 that they had last year...despite the fact that they got a net gain of one game against us (lost to us in 2011, hammered us in 2017).  Ole Miss is mediocre now and was less than mediocre in 2010-2011, but from 2008-2011...the Petrino years...they were a combined 24-26.  Over the last four years they have been 26-23.

Those are six of our conference opponents...Alabama, LSU, Mississippi State, Auburn, Ole Miss, and South Carolina.  Petrino also played Florida in 2008 and 2009...national champions in 2008 and 13-1 in 2009.

Who are these much tougher SEC opponents we are playing now than during the Petrino years?

Look at the talent coming in at each program. Forget about the records. The league is more talented now than ever.

Hoginsavga

• Senior
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 02:01:07 pm »

Look at the talent coming in at each program. Forget about the records. The league is more talented now than ever.

The league may be more talented but thatís not what the bowl games showed this year. How can you claim the teams in the SEC are more talented but ignore the records. If your 4 and 5 stars teams get beat by a 3 and 4 stars team then which team had the most talent?

Eastexhawg was correct in his assessment. The SEC was 5-6 in their bowl games this year. The SEC teams that were Arkansas opponents were 4-2 and 5-2 in their bowl games for 2010 and 2011, respectively. I included A&M because they were an opponent during those years. I know you want to exclude results on the field but you should look at the records of the SEC teams AR played during 2010 and 2011. Also exclude the losses AR bestowed on those teams for a fair analysis. Alabama, LSU, Auburn, and Miss State were very strong during those years. USCe was no picnic and Ole Miss was competitive.

Al Boarland

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 02:04:54 pm »

The league may be more talented but thatís not what the bowl games showed this year. How can you claim the teams in the SEC are more talented but ignore the records. If your 4 and 5 stars teams get beat by a 3 and 4 stars team then which team had the most talent?

Eastexhawg was correct in his assessment. The SEC was 5-6 in their bowl games this year. The SEC teams that were Arkansas opponents were 4-2 and 5-2 in their bowl games for 2010 and 2011, respectively. I included A&M because they were an opponent during those years. I know you want to exclude results on the field but you should look at the records of the SEC teams AR played during 2010 and 2011. Also exclude the losses AR bestowed on those teams for a fair analysis. Alabama, LSU, Auburn, and Miss State were very strong during those years. USCe was no picnic and Ole Miss was competitive.

Bowl games are a terrible indicator. Motivation is a huge factor in bowl games.

Hoginsavga

• Senior
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 02:16:06 pm »

Bowl games are a terrible indicator. Motivation is a huge factor in bowl games.

So youíre telling me that SEC teams donít get motivated to play bowl games. BTW the SEC teams we played in 2018 were 4-4 in their bowl games this year. Please tell me what criteria we should use since past records and bowl games are meaningless when judging the talent. You said donít look at the records and bowl games are terrible indicators.

psychhog

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 04:31:44 pm »

Looking back for the past 10 years on 247, there has been no less than 8 sec teams in the top 25 and most years 9 or 10. In 2014 we had 7 of the top 10. I donít think things have changed all that much. The most talented kids want to play in the sec. the household names such as USC, OSU, ND, OU will always be able to recruit but the sec has been king for a long time as far as bringing talent in.

psychhog

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 09:25:36 pm »

Since this is a recruiting thread in MMQB, Morris landed a 2020 WR out of GA. 6í4 215 lbs, picked us over Clemson, FL, S Carolina, N Carolina, Syracuse, Mich St ad others. Morris is going after the tall athletic WR.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas