• 10,306,106 Posts
• 408,350 Topics
• 23,328 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Admittedly this is  (Read 5876 times)

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Will the Hogs make it back to Omaha in 2019 ?
Admittedly this is
« on: February 06, 2019, 05:29:43 pm »

anecdotal evidence at best. But I think, at least part of the Diamond Hogs success this past Summer at Omaha helped CCM and crew get a few players he might not otherwise have gotten. Again, I have no proof other than Jalen Catalon spoke about baseball, also. 99% of the credit goes to CCM and his "nose to the grindstone" mentality of recruiting. These days if we don't get a certain player it's not because there wasn't a 100% effort by CCM's staff to get the job done. One gets a warm feeling inside that the days of the past 7 years are in the rear-view mirror. Go Hogs ! It's time for the phoenix of a once great program to rise from the ash heap and spread it's wings as a bird of prey in flight. I cannot wait !

mhsbc59

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • "Cause thats how I Role"
Re: Admittedly this is
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 05:59:06 pm »

Don't care how u paint it today was a disappointment.  We need a little ole Miss in us

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

SSFrazorback

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 06:55:19 pm »

Ya, best class weíve ever signed...big disappointment. Find somewhere else to spread your misery.

COCHISE

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 07:03:08 pm »

Don't care how u paint it today was a disappointment.  We need a little ole Miss in us
SMDH.

ifghog

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 07:09:55 pm »

Totally disagree but hey....keep on being miserable.

oldhawg

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 07:10:15 pm »

In a short amount of time (first full recruiting season) fans saw Morris remarkably close on a dozen or more four star athletes, more than is usual at Arkansas.  This raised expectations for the second signing day, even though the few that were left were highly sought after with a highly focused effort by those who wanted them.  So when all were not signed, it seemed that this was just another disappointing commitment day for Razorback fans.  But take a long look at the kids who were signed in the early period, as well as all that were signed today.  IMO today and the early signing period combined represent an outstanding class of incoming student athletes that will represent Arkansas well.  No reason to be disappointed.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 07:18:45 pm »

In a short amount of time (first full recruiting season) fans saw Morris remarkably close on a dozen or more four star athletes, more than is usual at Arkansas.  This raised expectations for the second signing day, even though the few that were left were highly sought after with a highly focused effort by those who wanted them.  So when all were not signed, it seemed that this was just another disappointing commitment day for Razorback fans.  But take a long look at the kids who were signed in the early period, as well as all that were signed today.  IMO today and the early signing period combined represent an outstanding class of incoming student athletes that will represent Arkansas well.  No reason to be disappointed.
I think if you told these glass half empty fans a year ago that we'd have the class that we signed today after going 2-10 and 0-8 they would have been jumping up and down with joy. But some people want everything and want it all at once. Life and/or sports just doesn't work that way. Ask the Los Angeles Rams coaching staff.

TomasPistola

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Giant Bobby Portis is tired of your crap.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 07:19:50 pm »

anecdotal evidence at best. But I think, at least part of the Diamond Hogs success this past Summer at Omaha helped CCM and crew get a few players he might not otherwise have gotten. Again, I have no proof other than Jalen Catalon spoke about baseball, also. 99% of the credit goes to CCM and his "nose to the grindstone" mentality of recruiting. These days if we don't get a certain player it's not because there wasn't a 100% effort by CCM's staff to get the job done. One gets a warm feeling inside that the days of the past 7 years are in the rear-view mirror. Go Hogs ! It's time for the phoenix of a once great program to rise from the ash heap and spread it's wings as a bird of prey in flight. I cannot wait !

Since you were there in 1969, I'd say you're a pro at waiting.

JaketheSnake

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 07:24:41 pm »

One player does not make or break a class.

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 07:30:10 pm »

One of the stupidest posts EVER on Hogville. 

And that's a high bar.

Oliver

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 07:49:32 pm »

And that's a high bar.

Wholeheartedly disagree with the first half of his post. But agree with the second half of his post

farmhawg

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 08:09:24 pm »

With fans like you who needs enemies.

lookawayquick

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 08:42:37 pm »

Folks, recruiting talk is all hype and promise.  Weíll know in two years if this was a good class. Transfers, suspensions and god knows what else define a class as much as expert star ratings. Some of the 2019 signees will exceed expectations, some will be busts. Much like DVH preaches, donít get too high or too low on the recruits.  Who knows, maybe a couple of the PWOs will blow up.  Talented kids.  Hate losing kids to USCw and Ole P but they may turn out to be busts.  Time will tell.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 09:10:07 pm »

Best class in the past 20 years!

Hawgey-Davidson

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 09:27:34 pm »

This^. These negative nancy posters need to fish or cut bait. Hopefully this class puts us on the road to recovery. TNA!

BR

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Chaos, panic, & disorder -- my work here is done.
    • BR's Home Page
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 09:42:36 pm »

what a freaking idiot... 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 10:01:16 pm »

He let it be known from the very beginning he didnít like Chad. So anything no matter how dumb it is he will use it to dog coach.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 10:04:36 pm »

I have to agree. Signing two 5 stars (Henry and Burks) to go along w 4 star Catalon totally sucked. Especially coming off a banner 2-10 year  :-\

Tick Hog

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 10:13:17 pm »

By god we just signed the 10th rated class. Now thatís 10th in the SEC not the country, but weíre well on our way.

hawg1221

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 10:16:19 pm »

I didn't read this entire thread because it seems like there's a bunch of idiots on here. Why can't people understand that since 2000, Arkansas this year has one of the best recruiting classes nationally for this year for a 2 win team. I wish people were smart enough to look at the statistics. SMH!

kp72204

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 10:37:48 pm »

Well I'm proud of this class. Rome wasn't built in a day, but of course if we have Caesar, then we're on our way.

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 12:25:24 am »

I didn't read this entire thread because it seems like there's a bunch of idiots on here. Why can't people understand that since 2000, Arkansas this year has one of the best recruiting classes nationally for this year for a 2 win team. I wish people were smart enough to look at the statistics. SMH!

Then I expect top 20 classes, if the only reason we got lower than 20th is because of 2 wins

hawg1221

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 12:56:13 am »

Then I expsect top 20 classes, if the only reason we got lower than 20th is because of 2 wins

That would be logical, but to come on here and talk crap about this year's class is idiotic. I'm from Newport and I know there's a lot of not very smart people in eastern Arkansas. Disclaimer;  I lived in NWA since college in 1991. Sorry, you act like an Eastern Arkansas person.

HogFoo

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 01:23:38 am »

best class weve ever signed.  Coming off a 2 win season, and u gonna complain cuz 1 LB undoubtedly got offered a bag,  another went to aTm and we lost a CB who probably got scared after we landed a couple of higher rated CBs.   

Not me, im not complaining. Ya gotta ha e the horses to compete. Morris signed a class full of them!  Ya build off what we got.  Get better, win some games, get a higher ranked class, get better,  win more games..etc.. wash rinse repeat.   Thats what werw doing.  I thought the winning was gonna start last season.  With better QB play, it probly does.   But, i have no doubt it will this season.  We win games, get bowl eligible and recruit a better class.  We filled most of our needs. Would have loved to have gotten another LB.  We didnt. The transfer portal has quite a few in it.  Id be happy with a solid addition from that. 

In any case.  Lets give Morris the credit he deserves.  He went gave to face with schools and we got probably 90% of all the guys we wanted.  Not too shabby!   Like others ha e mentioned, only the best class weve ever signed.   

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 01:58:32 am »

That would be logical, but to come on here and talk crap about this year's class is idiotic. I'm from Newport and I know there's a lot of not very smart people in eastern Arkansas. Disclaimer;  I lived in NWA since college in 1991. Sorry, you act like an Eastern Arkansas person.
I absolutely agree. People in Eastern Arkansas are dumb. Iím River Valley, though.

Btw, Iím not talking crap about the class. Itís an excellent class. Itís just that Iím not sure the good it does us to be ranked 23 in the country.

hawg1221

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2019, 02:17:48 am »

I absolutely agree. People in Eastern Arkansas are dumb. Iím River Valley, though.

Btw, Iím not talking crap about the class. Itís an excellent class. Itís just that Iím not sure the good it does us to be ranked 23 in the country.

And I'm sorry. You handled that response like a gentleman. I just don't understand why people aren't looking at the big picture with regards to a 2 win recruiting class.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2019, 05:51:10 am »

And that's a high bar.

Agree 100%.

mhsbc59

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2019, 08:06:50 am »

The class over all was good BUT YESTERDAY WAS A DISAPPOINTMENT WE STRUCK OUT YESTERDAY WITH THE COIN FLIP RECRUITS.  and Ole miss who is coming off probation still has a high ranked class.  Defend please

mhsbc59

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2019, 08:09:00 am »

I have to agree. Signing two 5 stars (Henry and Burks) to go along w 4 star Catalon totally sucked. Especially coming off a banner 2-10 year  :-\

We signed 0, 5 stars 0.  Henry and Burks are great and should not have been down graded but they where never 5 stars

jhogg

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2019, 08:14:13 am »

lets be thankful for the kids who did sign with the ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS! This class filled all needs except at LB

mhsbc59

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2019, 08:22:38 am »

best class weve ever signed.  Coming off a 2 win season, and u gonna complain cuz 1 LB undoubtedly got offered a bag,  another went to aTm and we lost a CB who probably got scared after we landed a couple of higher rated CBs.   

Not me, im not complaining. Ya gotta ha e the horses to compete. Morris signed a class full of them!  Ya build off what we got.  Get better, win some games, get a higher ranked class, get better,  win more games..etc.. wash rinse repeat.   Thats what werw doing.  I thought the winning was gonna start last season.  With better QB play, it probly does.   But, i have no doubt it will this season.  We win games, get bowl eligible and recruit a better class.  We filled most of our needs. Would have loved to have gotten another LB.  We didnt. The transfer portal has quite a few in it.  Id be happy with a solid addition from that. 

In any case.  Lets give Morris the credit he deserves.  He went gave to face with schools and we got probably 90% of all the guys we wanted.  Not too shabby!   Like others ha e mentioned, only the best class weve ever signed.   

Yes its a very good class.  It still falls in the average ranges for Arkansas.  6th in the SEC West behind an Ole Miss team coming off a 2 year bowl ban, and 10th in the SEC overall.  I did not say that the class was a disappointment its a good class.  Yesterday was a disappointment and we should do what Ole Miss is doing since it appears the NCAA doesnt care.

hobhog

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2019, 09:10:52 am »

We signed 0, 5 stars 0.  Henry and Burks are great and should not have been down graded but they where never 5 stars

Because we usually sign lots. Remind me- what 5 stars did we miss on the last 10 years?

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2019, 09:31:49 am »

Defend please

You can't. They got a slap on the wrist and are still cheating anyways. SEC recruiting demands it.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2019, 09:34:22 am »

actually Burks was a 5* at one time in 2017... 22nd rated player in the country. Went from 22, 69, 77, 83, 125, and ended 146 per rivals. He would have likely continued to stay rated higher if he cared to play the recruiting game. Burks and Henry are 5* talents no doubt regardless of their rankings.

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2019, 09:35:20 am »

The overall class is extremely good.  What was disappointing was the way we finished...landing only one of the four big fish we were after on NSD. 

TXHog30

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2019, 09:56:17 am »

They WERE at some time both ranked as 5 star players actually. Most people here who keep up with recruiting would remember that. They only slipped because minimal to zero camps and recruiting drama.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2019, 10:00:38 am »

They WERE at some time both ranked as 5 star players actually. Most people here who keep up with recruiting would remember that. They only slipped because minimal to zero camps and recruiting drama.
bingo

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2019, 10:02:28 am »

247Sports has a whoppin' 34 5* recruits this cycle. It's not surprising we don't get many 5*, because no school gets a lot of 5*.

mhsbc59

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2019, 10:10:38 am »

Because we usually sign lots. Remind me- what 5 stars did we miss on the last 10 years?

Im not saying we do or should i was responding to the poster that said Henry and Burks where 5 stars.   I believe Sosa Agim was a 5 star not sure though

mhsbc59

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2019, 10:13:59 am »

5 stars on NSD is where you get the rankings.  I said this was a good class but striking out on NSD is a disappointment.  take off the rose colored glasses.  To really compete nationally consistently we are going to have to play the $game

Pork Twain

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2019, 10:32:49 am »

Zero correlation.

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2019, 11:13:00 am »

Taking things in context, I was certainly disappointed yesterday.  Little Johnny, (ME), didn't get everything he wanted.  Mommy didn't promise me perpetual rainbows and happiness.  Poor me.
I understand the overall picture.  We did good overall.  We are blessed in many ways.  We have a football staff who is really trying hard to make us successful.  That shows through.  We will have over 30 different bodies in the Hog uniform in the Fall.  Some will bust and the Little Johnny in me will be disappointed once again.  When the Little Johnny pops up in us humans, we should find a way to contain him because showing him off to the public makes us look like the [CENSORED] that Little Johnny really is.

TXHog30

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2019, 11:23:29 am »

5 stars on NSD is where you get the rankings.  I said this was a good class but striking out on NSD is a disappointment.  take off the rose colored glasses.  To really compete nationally consistently we are going to have to play the $game

We aren't just going to start throwing bags over night and land the number 1 in 5 position groups like Ole Miss. Smaller programs get the hammer on this stuff. I don't think the NCAA would turn a blind eye if we got caught. They use smaller guys like Mizzou and Ole Miss to save face and make an example, while big programs like tOSU, Auburn, UNC (basketball) get the special treatment.

Stack a couple classes like this, get to 8-9 wins, have a 10 win season or so and capitalize. I think the biggest disappointment from Petrino days was the recruiting wasn't following the on the field success. I feel like Morris would spin it and be able to grow closer to consistent 10-15 ranked classes if he got a 10 win season.

mhsbc59

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2019, 12:11:30 pm »

We aren't just going to start throwing bags over night and land the number 1 in 5 position groups like Ole Miss. Smaller programs get the hammer on this stuff. I don't think the NCAA would turn a blind eye if we got caught. They use smaller guys like Mizzou and Ole Miss to save face and make an example, while big programs like tOSU, Auburn, UNC (basketball) get the special treatment.

Stack a couple classes like this, get to 8-9 wins, have a 10 win season or so and capitalize. I think the biggest disappointment from Petrino days was the recruiting wasn't following the on the field success. I feel like Morris would spin it and be able to grow closer to consistent 10-15 ranked classes if he got a 10 win season.

I would like that but with how others are recruiting in just the SEC west we are never going to get 10 seasons Unless we have a really special head coach which i don't believe we do.  So if recruiting stay the same which historically this is a high for us but we cant do better than 10 in the SEC we need to start doing something drastically different.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2019, 10:54:01 pm »

Since you were there in 1969, I'd say you're a pro at waiting.
I have seen one legitimate national championship for the University of Arkansas in one of the two major sports. The 1994 Razorback Cagers. It was the greatest non-family related moment in my life. If you are too young to remember or was not born by 1994, well, I'm one ahead of you, I'm 59 years old and with the Good Lord's blessing I'll continue to wait for my Hogs to do it again in either football or basketball before I go to meet my Maker.

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2019, 11:13:51 pm »

I have seen one legitimate national championship for the University of Arkansas in one of the two major sports. The 1994 Razorback Cagers. It was the greatest non-family related moment in my life. If you are too young to remember or was not born by 1994, well, I'm one ahead of you, I'm 59 years old and with the Good Lord's blessing I'll continue to wait for my Hogs to do it again in either football or basketball before I go to meet my Maker.
That 94/95 team would destroy any Razorback team that has followed them.

LZH

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2019, 05:15:57 am »

Not too sure I'd be up for that.  We've had enough Alabama and A&M in us over the past 7-10 years I doubt there's room for any more.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2019, 06:29:33 am »

I hear what you are saying and yes, it would be awesome to sign 2-3 of the 5 star variety every year, but look at #5 LSU. They signed the same number of 4 stars that we did but also signed 3-5 stars. 2 of those 5 stars came from their own state and the other they plucked from Texas.

#4 A&M-2 of the 5 stars, both from Texas.

#2 Georgia has transcended the need to maximize recruiting only in their own state. 5-5 stars and only 1 from Georgia, but 3 of the remaining 4 from states that border Georgia.

#9 Florida-Zero 5 stars. In Florida, their own state? Unbelievable. If we had a state full of talent like Florida, do we think that Morris would come away with zero 5 stars in his class, the way he recruits? I don't.

#18 S. Carolina signed one 5 star player who was from S. Carolina.

Point being, since we don't produce many 5 stars inside Arkansas, it is going to require some nationally recognized success before we can consistently go and also sign 5 stars from other states. JMO

mhsbc59

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2019, 07:36:24 am »

I hear what you are saying and yes, it would be awesome to sign 2-3 of the 5 star variety every year, but look at #5 LSU. They signed the same number of 4 stars that we did but also signed 3-5 stars. 2 of those 5 stars came from their own state and the other they plucked from Texas.

#4 A&M-2 of the 5 stars, both from Texas.

#2 Georgia has transcended the need to maximize recruiting only in their own state. 5-5 stars and only 1 from Georgia, but 3 of the remaining 4 from states that border Georgia.

#9 Florida-Zero 5 stars. In Florida, their own state? Unbelievable. If we had a state full of talent like Florida, do we think that Morris would come away with zero 5 stars in his class, the way he recruits? I don't.

#18 S. Carolina signed one 5 star player who was from S. Carolina.

Point being, since we don't produce many 5 stars inside Arkansas, it is going to require some nationally recognized success before we can consistently go and also sign 5 stars from other states. JMO

And how are we to get national recognized success if we finish 6 in our own division behind a just off probation ole miss, talent rich LSU, and Texas A&M, and have Miss St right on our heels and ha vent beat them 4 out of the last 5 years. Not to speak of the mighty Bama

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2019, 07:43:57 am »

Go look at what teams we beat for our players. Should tell you all you need to know about this class.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas