• 10,303,239 Posts
• 408,295 Topics
• 23,335 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 15 DAYS!  (Read 3860 times)

lakecityhog

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
15 DAYS!
« on: February 02, 2019, 07:15:28 pm »

In 22 days spring practice will begin. (Now 15! days)
Hopes will rise for some and despair for others.

My guess is that we will see LOTS of Hicks, Noland will get a fair amount of reps and the rest will split between Jones and Hyatt. Does Lindsey get a few reps from time to time?
I truly hope that Hicks is given the ball and told up-front that the job is his to lose. At the same time tell Noland that it is his job to TAKE!

Who runs the ball???

What will the O'Line look like? Nwanna or Cunningham at LT? Who starts at Center? With 13 O'Linemen on campus right now Fry has enough to put together at the very least an average O'Line. Capps, Clary, Clenin, Gatlin and Jackson have SEC game experience, the 2 Juco's have plenty of game experience and the young guys like Robinson, Wagner and Winkle being in their second year with Fry we should have decent depth. This allows Morris to redshirt the freshmen. I am actually pretty excited about the possibilities at O'Line.

I am really excited about the position where freshmen can really make an impact, wide receiver. We have 3 enrolled with SEC size, can they make the transition from HS to college in 8 or 9 months?

I hope that after April 6th I am one with rising hope!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 10:02:29 am by lakecityhog »

flagstaffhog

Re: 22 DAYS!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 07:18:45 pm »

Go HOGS Go!

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Superhog1959

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 08:11:17 am »

I am looking forward to the spring game. I think that will tell us a lot. Everyone seems all in on Hicks. I hope he stays healthy. He goes down, we are in trouble. O line don't improve, we might be in trouble anyway.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 08:29:23 am »

I am looking forward to the spring game. I think that will tell us a lot. Everyone seems all in on Hicks. I hope he stays healthy. He goes down, we are in trouble. O line don't improve, we might be in trouble anyway.

We probably have no other choice than to be "all in on Hicks" at this point, unless we see a late Senior QB transfer in the next few days. Noland is going to be back and forth from baseball to spring football. Given the circumstances, not exactly the best situation for the football program.

Jefferson doesn't show up until June and from my point of view, it isn't likely that he will be fully ready to play from game one. Maybe not until later in the season until he adapts to reading SEC defenses and the speed of the game, depending on how quickly he develops and how the OOC games go for this team. If any of those games are close you are going to see starters remaining in the game because I think Morris knows that he needs wins now.

So barring any more experienced and unexpected addition to the team at QB, we can't be anything but "all in" on Hicks.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 08:45:06 am »

We probably have no other choice than to be "all in on Hicks" at this point, unless we see a late Senior QB transfer in the next few days. Noland is going to be back and forth from baseball to spring football. Given the circumstances, not exactly the best situation for the football program.

Jefferson doesn't show up until June and from my point of view, it isn't likely that he will be fully ready to play from game one. Maybe not until later in the season until he adapts to reading SEC defenses and the speed of the game, depending on how quickly he develops and how the OOC games go for this team. If any of those games are close you are going to see starters remaining in the game because I think Morris knows that he needs wins now.

So barring any more experienced and unexpected addition to the team at QB, we can't be anything but "all in" on Hicks.

From everything I have read CN will make all the spring practices but
if he is in the weekend rotation will likely miss the spring game.

LZH

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 08:50:53 am »

What is the deal with JSJ?  While it was slow yesterday (and it was raining here) I went and watched his hs film.  Damn.  I had only seen bits and pieces.  He has all the tools except size.  I realize those were highlights, but he has excellent ball placement, A+ footwork, keeps his eyes downfield, and can scoot.  Is he just too undersized or has he not shown out here like he did in hs?  Just wondering why he didn't get more snaps during last year's musical QB's.

There's one play that got 100% of my attention.  I think it was his Jr. year, the team's moving right to left inside the 40 or so.  He drops back, sets his feet, begins to step up in the pocket, feels inside pressure, and hops back a full step but resets his feet so fast that it jumps off the screen at you.  Of course he then throws a strike.  You just don't see many QB's with quick feet that have that kind of discipline....most would have taken off running, the rest would have thrown off their back foot.  Nope.

I have to say I was certainly impressed.  I know he's had the best coaching money can buy, but coaching only works if you work it, as they say.  Just wondering what kind of condition his condition is in as per the overall scheme of things.

Superhog1959

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 09:54:22 am »

Yea I think Hicks is the guy. He knows Morris system. And I am ok with that. I just hope the O line can improve and he can stay healthy. He goes down, we will need a competent back up. I think KJ will redshirt if possible. JSJ is a question. I don't know the answer on him. If he does have "IT" I hope he gets a chance to show it in the spring. CN looks to be the back up this year. Just my gut tells me he goes full time baseball next year.

lakecityhog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 10:35:23 am »

While I truly hope that Hicks is the guy this year I am NOT writing off Noland. There have been several dual-sport athletes that have been VERY successful, Murray just last year. Noland is smart enough and physically able to do both and do both well.

I pin my hopes on Hicks for 2 reasons, first I want Morris and Craddock to settle on a starter NOW! And, second Hicks should have such a command of the offense that he will be able to lead us to wins against teams we should beat. I also believe that Hicks can help Noland, Jones and Jefferson to learn the system during this season. I hope that Noland is good enough to push Hicks by the middle of the season.

Having a very capable back-up is critical in the SEC, especially for us. We are not so talented that the rest of the team can carry a lesser QB for many games. Having a Tyler Wilson type of back-up come off the bench in a pinch can be the difference in a good season and a bad one. With his game experience last year, another spring camp and a summer with Hicks should just enhance Noland's play on the field in 2019.

greenie

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 11:59:29 am »

Is Storey gone for sure?  All has been quiet in regards to his transfer...unless I missed something.

ChopSooie

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 12:27:55 pm »

Noland will be in baseball. You wont see him

You sure about that? I read that he will attend all football activities and work in baseball.

lakecityhog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 12:39:12 pm »

The only possible conflict mentioned by Van Horn is the spring game and that decision has already been agreed upon by Morris and Van Horn. If Noland is being considered as a reliever or a starter for that series he will miss the spring game, otherwise he will be available for football.

Van Horn went so far as to say that Noland is responsible to keep both coaches apprised of his schedule, for example, if he is lifting weights for baseball on any particular day he must notify the football coaches so that he isn't lifting twice the same day. It sounds like both coaches have this thing figured out pretty well. This tells me that BOTH coaches feel like he can be a valuable contributor.

TexHog188

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 12:45:28 pm »

What is the deal with JSJ?

Others will disagree, but I really think that JSJ came here to play (at least compete) and not just sit on the sideline as a legacy hog.  He has the skills and is as fundamentally sound as you could ask for in a QB.  Ultimately we will just have to see if he can grasp and run the offense well enough to overcome his diminutive stature.  I hope he breaks every Arkansas passing record.  Of course I hope that for every QB that plays here, because that means the team is going to be more successful.

HogJowler

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 01:45:24 pm »

Noland will be in baseball. You wont see him

I disagree.  You have to have a backup ready in case of injury to your starter.

DoctorSusscrofa

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 02:22:47 pm »

Every time i open HV I see lots of hicks.

lakecityhog

• Hogvillian
Re: 15 DAYS!
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 10:11:01 am »

ISWYDT!

I really hope that we don't take another grad QB! We need to settle on a starter EARLY this year, we simply cannot stand another season of trying to play musical chairs until the 4th game of the season. Unless Hicks just does not fit in with the team or cannot play SEC caliber football it should be up to Noland to beat him for the job.

Will Morris open more/any practices this year? I really miss the days of practice reports.

HouSwine

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 11:43:42 am »

Others will disagree, but I really think that JSJ came here to play (at least compete) and not just sit on the sideline as a legacy hog.  He has the skills and is as fundamentally sound as you could ask for in a QB.  Ultimately we will just have to see if he can grasp and run the offense well enough to overcome his diminutive stature.  I hope he breaks every Arkansas passing record.  Of course I hope that for every QB that plays here, because that means the team is going to be more successful.
Agree. Sounds like a good problem to have.

gguillo

• Shoooosh! Quiet please! I have an announcement...
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 05:08:52 pm »

2019 Spring Game - it will be cold & raining.  BOOK IT.

Hawgphat

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 05:13:28 pm »

Every time i open HV I see lots of hicks.

>:(         :-[        ;D

Mike Irwin

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 07:00:40 pm »

What is the deal with JSJ?  While it was slow yesterday (and it was raining here) I went and watched his hs film.  Damn.  I had only seen bits and pieces.  He has all the tools except size.  I realize those were highlights, but he has excellent ball placement, A+ footwork, keeps his eyes downfield, and can scoot.  Is he just too undersized or has he not shown out here like he did in hs?  Just wondering why he didn't get more snaps during last year's musical QB's.

There's one play that got 100% of my attention.  I think it was his Jr. year, the team's moving right to left inside the 40 or so.  He drops back, sets his feet, begins to step up in the pocket, feels inside pressure, and hops back a full step but resets his feet so fast that it jumps off the screen at you.  Of course he then throws a strike.  You just don't see many QB's with quick feet that have that kind of discipline....most would have taken off running, the rest would have thrown off their back foot.  Nope.

I have to say I was certainly impressed.  I know he's had the best coaching money can buy, but coaching only works if you work it, as they say.  Just wondering what kind of condition his condition is in as per the overall scheme of things.
The first time JSJ came onto the practice field in an 11 on 11 situation I did not notice that Connor Noland had retired to the sideline. As the offense lined up for the next snap I said the the guy standing beside me, "Where's the QB?" You could barely see his head sitcking up from behind the center who was down in his stance. I've seen short before but that kid needs a periscope to see over the O-line.

Bash

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 08:35:46 pm »

I've seen short before but that kid needs a periscope to see over the O-line.

A periscope on his helmet would look weird for sure, but I wonder if there are any NCAA or SEC prohibitions against it.  Let's not rule this out just yet. This is an idea with potential.

Three and Snout

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 11:47:14 pm »

Is Storey gone for sure?  All has been quiet in regards to his transfer...unless I missed something.

His scholarship is canceled starting with the summer term.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 06:19:43 am »

The first time JSJ came onto the practice field in an 11 on 11 situation I did not notice that Connor Noland had retired to the sideline. As the offense lined up for the next snap I said the the guy standing beside me, "Where's the QB?" You could barely see his head sitcking up from behind the center who was down in his stance. I've seen short before but that kid needs a periscope to see over the O-line.

How tall again is Kyler Murray? Listed as 5'10" but NFL pundits say about 5'7".  I don't buy the stuff about JSJ being to short to be the QB for this team, or at least a change of pace type QB for this team.  There was hardly no bright spots at the QB position last year, but in another thread on here someone mentioned a play by JSJ that I remembered well, it was one of the longest runs we had all year and it was by JSJ, it got called back because of a hold, but it wasn't the hold that allowed him to run.  The kid has some game, I'd like to see him play, I'm all for whoever gives us the best chance to win games, but sometimes coaches are just stuck on certain players.

JackJohnson

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 06:46:45 am »

How tall again is Kyler Murray? Listed as 5'10" but NFL pundits say about 5'7".  I don't buy the stuff about JSJ being to short to be the QB for this team, or at least a change of pace type QB for this team.  There was hardly no bright spots at the QB position last year, but in another thread on here someone mentioned a play by JSJ that I remembered well, it was one of the longest runs we had all year and it was by JSJ, it got called back because of a hold, but it wasn't the hold that allowed him to run.  The kid has some game, I'd like to see him play, I'm all for whoever gives us the best chance to win games, but sometimes coaches are just stuck on certain players.

There is a reason that Murray was a 5* heavily recruited player and JSJ is a glorified preferred walk on who got a political token scholarship.

I love how everyone always points to the exception

hogfan14

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2019, 09:52:29 am »

There is a reason that Murray was a 5* heavily recruited player and JSJ is a glorified preferred walk on who got a political token scholarship.

Texas Tech offered him as well. They have a pretty good track record with QBs recently.

younghog

• Keep em coming
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2019, 11:27:11 am »

I bet.. I've watched him here in Tejas for a few years.. Same with Kyler Murray..  Poor Kid should have stayed with Baseball instead of NFL hopes.. ~ But I'm New here..

GO HOGS

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 11:40:59 am »

He lead his team to two 5A state championships in TX, and he's a current player, so maybe you should withhold the criticism. 

oldhawg

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 11:49:36 am »

There is also the issue that Murray did not start at quarterback until his fourth year of collegiate competition (including one red shirt year).  Jones may never be a Kyler Murray, but a better comparison year would be his (Jones) fourth year of competition.

Birminghog

• Ludwig calls the Hogs at Hogville.net
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 11:55:08 am »

Just wondering what kind of condition his condition is in as per the overall scheme of things.

+1 for the Kenny Rogers / 1st Edition homage. Good tune.

phadedhawg

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2019, 11:56:11 am »

The past few years, I've done my best to ignore Spring football as much as possible.  The only news that ever comes out of Arkansas media that's useful is the injury report. 

The media will usually see improvement in whatever areas were deficient last year and some kid will be billed a break out star. 

Then week one rolls around and it's the same song as before. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas