• 10,306,109 Posts
• 408,350 Topics
• 23,328 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preseason: Know Thine Enemy - USC Trojans  (Read 2250 times)

Bruinstyle2001

Preseason: Know Thine Enemy - USC Trojans
« on: February 01, 2019, 08:25:32 am »

I figured before the season got underway I would try to "scout" what information was available on our early nonconference schedule while the statistics will be meaningless.  I haven't found any reviews on the OVC yet to start analyzing Eastern Illinois, so here is what I have dug up on USC.

https://d1baseball.com/season-preview/2019-conference-previews-pac-12/ ($ wall)

USC is picked 8th out of 11 teams
USC is not expected to make a regional

Top Prospects, 2019 Draft (Pac 12 Edition)
11. Kyle Hurt, RHP, USC
15. Blake Sabol, OF, USC
38. Chris Clarke, RHP, USC
47. Connor Lunn, RHP, USC
48. Quentin Longrie, LHP, USC

Top Prospects, 2020 Draft (Pac 12 Edition)
8. Chandler Champlain, RHP, USC
27. Jamal O'Guinn, OF, USC
28. Ben Ramirez, 3B, USC
35. Alex Cornwell, LHP, USC
40. Brian Gursky, LHP, USC

Impact Freshmen (Pac 12 Edition)
4. Chandler Champlain, RHP, USC
17. Preston Hartsell, OF, USC
20. Clay Owens, 3B/C, USC
25. Emilio Rosas, SS, USC
27. Ethan Reed, RHP, USC
32. Carson Lambert, RHP, USC

Southern California

After snapping a decade-long postseason drought in 2015, the Trojans have struggled to recapture the magic, missing out on regionals each of the last three years. There’s reason to expect USC to be much better than last year’s 12-18 Pac-12 club, because this roster has intriguing talent and plenty of depth, but it is also counting on quite a few unproven commodities. The centerpiece of the lineup is junior Blake Sabol, who has really blossomed offensively since moving from catcher to the outfield full time. He established himself as a likely high-round draft pick by hitting .331 with nine homers in the Cape, then was “out of his mind all fall,” in the words of coach Dan Hubbs. The other most established returning bat is senior shortstop Chase Bushor, who led the Trojans with a .301 average last year after transferring in from Georgetown. He teams with senior Brandon Perez (who hit .328 as a sophomore but just .237 last year) to form a rock-solid middle infield tandem, and the talented Ben Ramirez is a breakout candidate at the hot corner, though slick-fielding high-profile freshman Emilio Rosas should also push for playing time somewhere on the infield. Matthew Acosta is back as a three-year starter in the outfield, where he’ll be joined by Sabol and probably either powerful but raw sophomore Jamal O’Guinn or blue-chip freshman Preston Hartsell. Hubbs also raved about CJ Stubbs’ development behind the plate and in the batter’s box after he returned from Tommy John surgery and gave up pitching.

USC has one of the Pac’s most talented Friday aces in junior righty Kyle Hurt, who can pump 95 mph heat and get hitters out with three legitimate offspeed pitches. The key for him to become a star is to dramatically reduce his walk rate (58 in 81.1 innings last year). Polished sophomore lefty John Beller (3-1, 2.72) has the best numbers of any returnee on the mound and looks like a top candidate for the Saturday starter job. And 6-foot-7 junior righty Chris Clarke showed much better stuff and command in the fall, working at 91-94 with late life and a good breaking ball. Look for him to assume a weekend starter spot as well, though marquee freshman righty Chandler Champlain should push Clarke and Beller for a rotation job. Champlain has all the ingredients of a frontline ace, with a physical 6-foot-4 frame, an explosive 91-94 fastball that bumps 95 with arm-side life, a sharp, late-breaking mid-70s curve and a deceptive fading changeup at 80-83 with good deception — but he missed valuable development time in the fall after breaking his heel in a skateboarding accident. Lefty Quentin Longrie and righty Connor Lunn also can touch 95 but pitch in the low 90s, and both have improved their secondary stuff since last spring, making them likely linchpins of a bullpen loaded with power arms. Juco transfer Gus Culpo and lanky freshman righty Ethan Reed are two more righties capable of hitting 95 at their best, while junior lefty Austin Manning has flashed 93 mph heat with a good curveball. Alex Cornwell and Brian Gursky are two more talented options from the left side. So there’s no shortage of stuff; it’s just a matter of figuring out which pieces have the command to assume prominent roles on the staff.

2018 USC Trojan Baseball Year in Review

Record: 26-28 (12-18)
Home Record: 15-15
Away Record: 10-13
Neutral Record: 1-0

RPI: 122
Nonconference RPI: 151
SOS: 84
Nonconference SOS: 202

Finished T-8th in Pac 12 (11 teams)

Batting Average: 0.255
ERA: 4.99

(Will beef this up more as time allows)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 09:23:56 am by Bruinstyle2001 »

Razrpig256

Re: Preseason: Know Thine Enemy - USC Trojans
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 03:27:58 pm »

Remember watching us struggle against Hurt last year. Dude has great stuff, should be an interesting matchup between him and Campbell.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Bogghawg

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 10:52:23 pm »

Main concern will be the marine layer.

Pig Mania

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 09:30:20 am »

Yeah but do they still have the awesomely named Lars Nootbaar?

Wisco Pig

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 10:33:59 am »

Yeah but do they still have the awesomely named Lars Nootbaar?

Sadly, no.   He was a junior last year and was drafted in the 8th round by the Cardinals.

Lars has a brother, Nigel Nootbaar (!), who also played at USC.  Nigel's playing minor-league ball in the Orioles organization.

Pudgepork

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 11:24:43 am »

>:(e
Main concern will be the marine layer.

Yeaah, that marine layer dude plays all 3 positions around the deep outfield.  He stole some runs last year

EconHawg

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 10:09:04 am »

>:(e
Yeaah, that marine layer dude plays all 3 positions around the deep outfield.  He stole some runs last year

He stole what looked like a no-doubter from Gates last year late in the Arizona game. That thing hit a wall and dropped straight down at the fence.

Razrpig256

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 02:57:35 pm »

He stole what looked like a no-doubter from Gates last year late in the Arizona game. That thing hit a wall and dropped straight down at the fence.

That ball was smoked, not sure we hit a ball harder all year.

ucahogfan

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 08:32:29 pm »

That ball was smoked, not sure we hit a ball harder all year.
Off the bat, there was no doubt in my mind that was long gone into the night.  That darn marine layer.  I think Gates got bit a couple of times on that time by the layer.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 01:43:16 pm »

Barstool sports had a nice “Jose C” piece on usc Preston hartsell today.  I follow them on Facebook so not sure how to share.  It’s worth the google.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 04:42:09 pm »

Barstool sports had a nice “Jose C” piece on usc Preston hartsell today.  I follow them on Facebook so not sure how to share.  It’s worth the google.

This it?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/time-for-usc-baseball-player-preston-hartsell-to-engage-in-a-few-oil-changes

hogdollar

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 02:18:08 pm »

Just a heads up. USC will have a live stream of the series according to their website and schedule.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 02:31:47 pm »

Just a heads up. USC will have a live stream of the series according to their website and schedule.

Sweet, thanks man.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2019, 11:47:23 pm »

USC went 2-1 in their first series against Omaha. Omaha led 5-2 in game 1 but lost in the later innings 6-5. USC only got 7 hits but received 10 BB from Omaha. USC romped 11-0 in game 2. They had 11 hits but also got 9 more BB. In game 3 they fell behind by 11 runs, tried to comeback but lost 12-9. They had the most hits (14) in the series and got 9 more BB but still lost. For those counting, that is 28 walks yielded by Omaha in the series. I hope they don't expect that help from Arkansas. Hog hurlers walked only 8 in its series against Eastern Illinois. We did receive 19 free passes from EI.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 07:45:02 am »

28 walks, wow. That’s impressively bad

EconHawg

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 08:58:50 am »

Well they won't get that from the back end of our bullpen, so I hope they aren't counting on late inning comebacks to beat us. Also, I think our offensive style will play a lot better on the west coast this year than last year. If the ball isn't leaving the park we should still be able to manufacture some runs.
I just hope the glove work looks a little cleaner this weekend. I have no doubt that Martin can be a dude at SS, I just hope the mistakes get cleaned up sooner rather than later.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 10:00:50 am »

I couldn’t help but to notice their attendance. The three games drew 237, 495, 392. We drew 8838, 7382 and I could not find Game 1 attendance. I also note that USC got a nice pitching performance from its Game 2 starter. They did let him go 7 innings.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 09:01:27 pm by JHicks3636 »

EconHawg

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 12:16:22 pm »

I couldn’t help notice their attendance. The three games drew 237, 495, 392. We drew 8838, 7382 and I could not find Game 1 attendance. I also note that USC got a nice pitching performance from its Game 2 starter. They did let him go 7 innings.

If those numbers don't improve this weekend, there very well be more people in razorback gear than in trojan gear Thursday. We have a lot of fans who travel, a few players from California, plus I wouldn't be surprised if last year's CWS final didn't inspire a few at-large razorback baseball fans. I'll be listening closely for a hog call on the broadcast.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2019, 01:25:16 pm »

DUH, sometimes something hits you and you just laugh when you think about how stupid you were. In my post above, I said I could not find Game 1 attendance. It struck me that we actually played the Saturday DH so the attendance would be reported as the same for both games, but reported after Game 2 as it was.

bulldog04

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2019, 02:04:10 pm »

I couldn’t help notice their attendance. The three games drew 237, 495, 392. We drew 8838, 7382 and I could not find Game 1 attendance. I also note that USC got a nice pitching performance from its Game 2 starter. They did let him go 7 innings.
Wicklander’s and Dom’s friends and family can probably get close to half that

Superhog1959

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 04:02:37 pm »

Should be nice to play some warm weather ball. I hope they stay well, easy to get sick going back and forth, cold, warm, cold.

Bacons Rebellion

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2019, 04:47:50 pm »

Sadly, no.   He was a junior last year and was drafted in the 8th round by the Cardinals.

Lars has a brother, Nigel Nootbaar (!), who also played at USC.  Nigel's playing minor-league ball in the Orioles organization.

He should expect to get called up every September just to swell the gate a bit.

swineology

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 08:48:09 pm »

Ballpark only holds 2500

:o

BigBrandonAllenFan

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 09:12:22 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas