• 10,412,590 Posts
• 411,504 Topics
• 23,509 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP "Hondo"  (Read 3053 times)

alohawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs!
RIP "Hondo"
« on: April 26, 2019, 12:50:58 pm »

Before the Bird era there was John Havlicek, Bill Russell and a host of many other great Celtic players who won multiple championships together. A dynasty if ever....
I'm fortunate to be just old enough to have witnessed the end of their greatness. RIP John Havlicek  :'(

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
Re: RIP "Hondo"
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 12:54:12 pm »

my favorite player growing up.

RIP Hondo

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hawg Red

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 01:02:30 pm »

Legend. RIP.

Also, one helluva a hand ball player.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 01:29:54 pm »

Back in the day a buddy said there is Hav and haves not so much..

Hondo was an icon in the day..RIP

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 01:35:09 pm »

An all time great.

SoIndianaHog

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 02:09:55 pm »

Growing up in Jones Mill I would play for NBA Championships on the hoop in my room. I always wore a white t-shirt with the number 17 and Boston on it in Sharpie. Such great memories of my first basketball hero.

wildturkey8

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 02:35:31 pm »

One of the all time greats.  RIP Hondo.

hoglady

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 03:29:01 pm »

RIP Hondo

Mine, too.
Those were some great Celtic teams - with Bill Russell and Havlicek,

I loved 2 players when I was young - Yaz in Left field for the Red Sox and Havlicek.

26.2Hog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 07:54:07 pm »

Mine, too.

Same here. 

But the Lakers were my favorite team back then, and the Celtics and Lakers played for the championship what, 10-12 times?

I remember some of those games Hondo would almost single handedly beat the Lakers.  That's how good he was.

HogBreath

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 08:51:15 pm »

He seemed to have that knack for making the big play at the big moment....a great guy, great player for sure.

sevenof400

• Is it too late to remember what was best in life?
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 09:15:30 pm »

Mine, too.
Those were some great Celtic teams - with Bill Russell and Havlicek,

I loved 2 players when I was young - Yaz in Left field for the Red Sox and Havlicek.

And Bobby Orr. 

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 10:38:37 pm »

he changed how the game was played along with Pistol Pete Marovich , those guys just did things a whole different way

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 10:51:46 pm »

John Wayne died???

hoglady

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 06:54:17 am »

And Bobby Orr. 

Another Boston area great player.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 07:41:32 am »

Clutch back before you really carry the ball

2 minute clip from Celts Suns 1976 3 OT game in Finals. Musberger on the call.

dsf

• Varsity
  • Love those Hogs!
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2019, 08:54:53 am »

I was a teenager when he played at Ohio State (1960-63)...I picked up on his strange name listening to late night games on my transistor radio, even though he only averaged around 10-14 points per game. He played on three great teams at Ohio State, going to the final four and finals three times...they won as sophomores and lost as juniors and seniors to Cincinnati. I only missed listening or watching one of his college games in those three years.  He was my favorite player and I never imagined he would be so amazing in the pro's with the Celtics. As a high schooler in Ohio, he was All-State in football, basketball, and baseball. After graduation from Ohio State, he satisfied an itch and tried out for the Cleveland Browns (good team, back then). He was the final cut at wide receiver.  They kept future all pro Gary Collins (also punted) over him. Then he went to the Celtics and the rest is history. A great, great, player.

dsf

• Varsity
  • Love those Hogs!
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2019, 08:57:17 am »

John Wayne died???
His Ohio State teammates (Jerry Lucas, Larry Siegfried, Mel Nowell, and Joe Roberts) nicknamed Havlicek "Hondo" because they thought he favored Wayne in that movie, Hondo.  By the way...all five of them played in the NBA.

alohawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2019, 02:30:21 pm »

dsf- thanks for sharing, very cool stuff.

alohawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2019, 02:33:47 pm »

Clutch back before you really carry the ball

2 minute clip from Celts Suns 1976 3 OT game in Finals. Musberger on the call.

Dude, I watched this as it happened. Such a crazy ending. The Suns were really fun with Westphal.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2019, 08:51:44 pm »

He was a NBA LEGEND!  Rest in Peace

GARZRBACK78

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2019, 09:10:23 pm »

Bob Knight was also a member of that Ohio State team . I remember watching them play when I was 6 years old. My father was getting his masters at OSU thru the US Army. As a four year letterman in track at Henderson and a basketball letterman at Fort Smith HS, he worked out at the OSU facilities and got to know individuals in the athletic department. We always had tickets for basketball and football games. Anyway, he took me down to the locker room after one of the games and I was able to meet Jerry Lucas and John Havlicek. They were giants to a young boy. I never forgot that experience. The Boston Celtics became my favorite NBA team a couple of years later when we lived In Framingham  MA ,and I saw Havlicek play again.

husker71

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2019, 09:28:48 pm »

Hubie Brown tells a great story.  He was coaching the Atlanta Hawks who were play playing at the Garden in Havliceks retirement game.  All the gifts were given and all his old teammates were giving him praise and his family was with him listening to the congratulations and remembrances.  Hubie had his team fired up and ready to play and then he says "I knew we were in trouble during the ceremonies when I looked over and the Refs were crying"

alohawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2019, 11:19:02 pm »

Hubie Brown tells a great story.  He was coaching the Atlanta Hawks who were play playing at the Garden in Havliceks retirement game.  All the gifts were given and all his old teammates were giving him praise and his family was with him listening to the congratulations and remembrances.  Hubie had his team fired up and ready to play and then he says "I knew we were in trouble during the ceremonies when I looked over and the Refs were crying"

That's hilarious, great story.

maggiesue

• Varsity
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2019, 12:01:03 am »

Before the Bird era there was John Havlicek, Bill Russell and a host of many other great Celtic players who won multiple championships together. A dynasty if ever....
I'm fortunate to be just old enough to have witnessed the end of their greatness. RIP John Havlicek  :'(

I loved Hondo!

Tejano Jawg

• Ram Jam!
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2019, 05:22:35 pm »

Man, a great one for sure. Loved his style.

dsf

• Varsity
  • Love those Hogs!
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2019, 06:21:04 pm »

Bob Knight was also a member of that Ohio State team . I remember watching them play when I was 6 years old. My father was getting his masters at OSU thru the US Army. As a four year letterman in track at Henderson and a basketball letterman at Fort Smith HS, he worked out at the OSU facilities and got to know individuals in the athletic department. We always had tickets for basketball and football games. Anyway, he took me down to the locker room after one of the games and I was able to meet Jerry Lucas and John Havlicek. They were giants to a young boy. I never forgot that experience. The Boston Celtics became my favorite NBA team a couple of years later when we lived In Framingham  MA ,and I saw Havlicek play again.
Yes, he was...didn't play much, though.  Great players on that team.

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2019, 09:33:37 am »

Won 8 NBA Championships in 16 seasons in Boston.  Bill Russell won an incredible 11 in his 13 yrs with the Celtics.

oldfart

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2019, 06:58:34 pm »

His Ohio State teammates (Jerry Lucas, Larry Siegfried, Mel Nowell, and Joe Roberts) nicknamed Havlicek "Hondo" because they thought he favored Wayne in that movie, Hondo.  By the way...all five of them played in the NBA.

kinda funny i guess that he was not the biggest star on the team (probably lucas) but was by far the better nfl career

dsf

• Varsity
  • Love those Hogs!
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2019, 08:06:05 am »

kinda funny i guess that he was not the biggest star on the team (probably lucas) but was by far the better nfl career
Actually, Lucas was a generational talent who was spectacular at 6-8...he had a solid NBA career, too.  Lucas signed with the ABL and spent several seasons in that league prior to joining the Knicks in the NBA.  At Ohio State, Lucas averaged over 24 ppg on an average of 12 shots taken.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2019, 09:29:23 am »

Good point about carrying the ball.  The way that rule is not called today has really changed the game more than just about anything that I can think of.  Pretty much any ball handler in the NBA today if transported back in time to an NBA game before the 1980s would instantly be called for carrying the ball.

Bob Coosey looks so funny handling the ball to today’s viewers because his hand is on the dead top of the ball with every dribble as opposed to today’s players.  Why?  Because if he had done anything different, it would have been a turnover.

oldfart

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2019, 10:24:54 am »

Good point about carrying the ball.  The way that rule is not called today has really changed the game more than just about anything that I can think of.  Pretty much any ball handler in the NBA today if transported back in time to an NBA game before the 1980s would instantly be called for carrying the ball.

Bob Coosey looks so funny handling the ball to today’s viewers because his hand is on the dead top of the ball with every dribble as opposed to today’s players.  Why?  Because if he had done anything different, it would have been a turnover.

Cousy's hands were like bushel baskets he could do things that no other player at that time could do.  I agree with you on the carrying rule, when i played if you even went to the side a fraction you were called for carrying the ball.  i  got so frustrated watching my young son (born after i was 50) playing youth basketball kids in 4th and 5th grades sitting there just turning ball over with palms on the bottom of the ball, just turning it over and over..  i finally got onto a friend of mine who was head of the offiicals (mostly high school boys) and got on to his a$$ about it and they finally started to call it....

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2019, 10:34:46 am »

Hubie is one of a kind. I was at the Grizzlies game when he was announced as Coach of the year.

dsf

• Varsity
  • Love those Hogs!
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2019, 10:38:51 am »

Hubie is one of a kind. I was at the Grizzlies game when he was announced as Coach of the year.
Hubie was the absolute best clinician I ever heard.  He was very specific and knew more basketball than anyone I knew.  Hubie Brown worked on the Duke staff in his early years with Coach Vic Bubas, another basketball genius.  Hubie is a great teacher.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Dude I was the cool guy back in 76 look at me now
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2019, 01:36:00 pm »

The best way to describe Hondo was a French philosopher's (de la Mettrie) term, l' homme machine....translated to "The Human Machine"....Hondo's greatest strength was not shooting, not defense (he was good at D'ing up) but Hondo's movement, constant movement without the ball on offense was his trade mark.  RIP, Hondo, you can stop running now. You deserve this time out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas