• 10,394,602 Posts
• 410,894 Topics
• 23,485 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite old nfl qbs?  (Read 3606 times)

Pudgepork

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Horse Racings most unlikely champ
Re: Favorite old nfl qbs?
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2019, 04:20:11 pm »

2 full pages and nary a mention of Joe Theisman.  His ego will be crushed the next time he reads Hogville

dsf

« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2019, 01:44:41 pm »

I grew up in Detroit and in the late 50's the guy was Bobby Layne from Texas.  He was mean as hell and literally kicked his offensive lineman if their man sacked him.  He was probably the last player to not wear a facemask and dared the defense to mess with him.  Detroit was very good in those days.  Layne led them to NFL Championships in 1952 and 1953. I believe their last NFL Championship was in 1957 over the Cleveland Browns.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 01:57:43 pm by dsf »

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

GTOWNHOG

« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2019, 01:51:17 pm »

John Hadl of the San Diego Chargers throwing bombs to Lance Alworth back in the day. 

oldfart

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2019, 09:46:30 pm »

I grew up in Detroit and in the late 50's the guy was Bobby Layne from Texas.  He was mean as hell and literally kicked his offensive lineman if their man sacked him.  He was probably the last player to not wear a facemask and dared the defense to mess with him.  Detroit was very good in those days.  Layne led them to NFL Championships in 1952 and 1953. I believe their last NFL Championship was in 1957 over the Cleveland Browns.

layne was a tough SOB for sure. i remember watching him on the early morning days of TV. he was known to havea drink or two before the game and a couple at halftime. as i recall he was married to a very wealthy woman

TrueBlue

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up."
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2019, 10:00:08 pm »

Not that they were the greatest, but I loved to watch Brian Sipe and Ken Anderson go toe-to-toe back in the day for the battle of Ohio. They both came into the league about the same time and left about the same time. 

Soooie21

• Hogville.net
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2019, 07:52:06 am »

Don Meredith. and Captain America...Staubach..

« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2019, 09:01:24 am »

Still one of the most iconic photos in sports:

Being a Giants fan YA was the man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y._A._Tittle

Hog are ya

« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2019, 03:07:26 am »

GREAT thread!!!    A few names not mentioned that I would add:

James Harris, Jim Hart, Doug Williams, Danny White off the top of my head....

Hog are ya

« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2019, 03:23:01 am »

He was only above average as a signal caller, but nobody could get ROCKED and stay in the game (sometimes not remembering parts the next day) like Ron Jaworski.  Lawrence Taylor destroyed him multiple times and -- still -- he held the consecutive starts streak for many years.

Yes and that beard was legendary!   Loved watching him throw to Harold Carmichael, who was 6ft 8 with bigger hands even than DR J, that was arguably one of the best "go up and get it" receivers ever!

Side note on Carmichael.  I remember it being said many a time, though I never saw footage, that HE could actually throw a football from one end zone to the other!!!!

Hog are ya

« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2019, 03:27:30 am »

nm (computer/user issues)

LZH

« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2019, 03:50:23 am »

Terry Bradshaw.

I can't tell you how many hours I spent in the front yard trying to throw with my index finger on the end of the ball.  He threw perfect spirals.....when I tried, mine looked like kickoffs.

And I liked the Dolphins (still do) but never really cared for him....I am surprised that no one has mentioned Bob Griese.

Or Don Strock ;)

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2019, 09:00:47 am »

Always liked watching Joe Kapp of the Vikings.

Birminghog

• Ludwig calls the Hogs at Hogville.net
« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2019, 02:01:54 pm »

I started following the vikings many yrs ago because of jim lindsey.  Havent had a strong attachment to any pro team since the vikings lost the 12th or whatever super bowl under bud grant     

Fran Tarkenton was fun to watch tho.
Joe Kapp hurdling guys.
Joe Willie with the Jets.  Felt bad bout the fact that his knees were so bad and he got killed on sacks.

I didnt like him at the time,(see vikings record against bradshaw in super bowl) but bradshaw was a tough sob, excellent qb and a funny sumbitch too.  Didnt care for his singing tho.

I didnt like dallas but staubach was amazing.

And Dandy Don Meredith in the booth.   Kids today are really missing out because those guys werent divas.   Well, except jim mcmahon.  I really liked his sense of humor and personality

Dan - Dy - Don. Now there was a singer!

chaz

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2019, 10:35:20 am »

Joe Montana

Porkerpower

« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2019, 01:35:54 pm »

Brian Greise and Earl Morrell with the dolphins.  My team from the 70's.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2019, 01:41:32 pm »

Brian Greise and Earl Morrell with the dolphins.  My team from the 70's.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The People’s Mod
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2019, 01:41:56 pm »

Marino and Montana are my all-time favorites.  Wasn't old enough to see all these other guys ya'll are talking about. 

fdx flyer

« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2019, 02:13:06 pm »

No Gary Danielson??   ...  I kid

Bob Griese and Dan Fouts were early favorites of mine.   And I loved the Steelers.  They ran the ball all the time though...  but when they did pass I loved to watch Bradshaw hook up with Swann and Stallworth.

revolution

• Hogvillian
  • Change is inevitable; growth is optional.
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2019, 02:14:53 pm »

Steve DeBerg - KC Chiefs . . . he could really sling it! ;)

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2019, 02:21:12 pm »

Roman Gabriel.  What a super cool name and a cannon for an arm.

Loved hearing Ray Scott call games on CBS involving the Rams.  Typical call of a TD pass:  "Third and ten...…...Gabriel...…...Snow...…..touchdown."

Mark Martin Fan

• Varsity
  • Just WIN!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2019, 07:01:13 pm »

#12 Dallas Cowboys...not even close for me!!

EastexHawg

« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2019, 07:09:39 pm »

#12 Dallas Cowboys...not even close for me!!

It's the only NFL jersey I wish I had.  My favorite player ever.  If I was starting an NFL team he might be my first pick.  If he and Bradshaw had switched teams Staubach would have won 6-7 Super Bowls.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • "Looks like we got us a Quarterback"- Herman Boone
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2019, 10:53:53 pm »

Long time Raiders fan here, so.....Daryl Laminica, George Blanda and the Snake. Loved watching Stabler compete. Great QB, great times. Too bad the Raiders and Hogs recents histories are erily similar.

I agree and I have been a fan of both teams since the late 60s. I think it's because Frank Broyles and Al Davis, in spite of one being from Gawja and and the other from Brooklyn, had similar management styles in some ways.

They were opposites in some ways, but they both ran their teams into the ground near the end, hung on too long and had hair trigger fingers when it came to firing HCs..

Trottsky

• "Evelyn, A Modified Dog"
« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2019, 10:55:28 pm »

How about Billy Kilmer in his Saints days? One tough b*****d.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • "Looks like we got us a Quarterback"- Herman Boone
« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2019, 11:33:18 pm »

Roman Gabriel was one of my early favorites as a kid. One of the earliest BIG QBs. Joe Namath, Snake Stabler. Joe Montana. Warren Moon. Dan Fouts.

"The best QB that never was" was a guy named Greg Cook who played for the Bengals when Paul Brown was still the HC. Cook could sling it and was amazing before he suffered some kind of serious injury in just his 2nd or 3rd year.

I loved the AFL because they aired the ball out when the NFL was still mostly caveman football. I was ecstatic when the Jets beat the Colts in SB III even after his Jets beat the Raiders in the AFL championship.

The irony of that game in SB III was that Namath audibled to runs several times and really didn't throw that much, the running game worked so well.

Namath had such a smooth delivery and quick release, purest throwing motion I think I've seen to this day. That guy could flick his wrist and drop a football into a bucket from 50 yards away and make it look easy. He could throw a bullet or drop a rainbow equally well.

These body throwers and guys with a Luis Tiant windup drive me to distraction. Most of those guys don't last long or have to do that ala P. Manning his last 2 years due to injuries.

Someone mentioned Brian Sipe who got a lot out of very average ability/arm for several years. That's why Montana is on the list. The guy could barely break a window with his throws but threw a great catchable ball that gave the WR a chance to run after the catch. When he needed to go deep to Rice he could get it there.

And he was like Brady before Brady in that he always knew where to go with the ball, and was so smart and poised.

I hated the Cowboys back then, but Staubach was fun to watch and you always had the feeling, for me it was dread, that if he got the ball last and was down by 6 or less he would get his team the win.

No matter how far behind Landry let the team get behind by playing ultra-conservatively, once he turned Staubach loose in the 4th quarter it seemed like he would bring them back. I think that's where Dan Reeves got that trait with Elway.

Elway would play like crap for 3 quarters because he was reigned in too tightly by Reeves, then turn it on when they went to HUNH.

Stabler threw a beautiful ball that rarely wobbled at all and was a big gamer for 5-6 years until he got traded to Houston.

I couldn't believe Warren Moon didn't get drafted out of UW. I became a fan of his watching the Huskies in the Rose Bowl that came on right before our game with OU in the Orange Bowl with OU.

I don't know if I ever saw the guy throw a pass that wasn't a perfect spiral, which is more important that many think. The guy was on fire in the first half of the game at Buffalo where the Oilers blew a 35-3 lead. Jack Pardee got conservative and then panicked when the Bills started the comeback.

Kevin Gilbride didn't give Moon enough pass plays in the 2nd half or that comeback would not have happened.

lwillin

« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2019, 11:15:24 am »

Roman Gabriel was one of my early favorites as a kid. One of the earliest BIG QBs. Joe Namath, Snake Stabler. Joe Montana. Warren Moon. Dan Fouts.

"The best QB that never was" was a guy named Greg Cook who played for the Bengals when Paul Brown was still the HC. Cook could sling it and was amazing before he suffered some kind of serious injury in just his 2nd or 3rd year.

I loved the AFL because they aired the ball out when the NFL was still mostly caveman football. I was ecstatic when the Jets beat the Colts in SB III even after his Jets beat the Raiders in the AFL championship.

The irony of that game in SB III was that Namath audibled to runs several times and really didn't throw that much, the running game worked so well.

Namath had such a smooth delivery and quick release, purest throwing motion I think I've seen to this day. That guy could flick his wrist and drop a football into a bucket from 50 yards away and make it look easy. He could throw a bullet or drop a rainbow equally well.

These body throwers and guys with a Luis Tiant windup drive me to distraction. Most of those guys don't last long or have to do that ala P. Manning his last 2 years due to injuries.

Someone mentioned Brian Sipe who got a lot out of very average ability/arm for several years. That's why Montana is on the list. The guy could barely break a window with his throws but threw a great catchable ball that gave the WR a chance to run after the catch. When he needed to go deep to Rice he could get it there.

And he was like Brady before Brady in that he always knew where to go with the ball, and was so smart and poised.

I hated the Cowboys back then, but Staubach was fun to watch and you always had the feeling, for me it was dread, that if he got the ball last and was down by 6 or less he would get his team the win.

No matter how far behind Landry let the team get behind by playing ultra-conservatively, once he turned Staubach loose in the 4th quarter it seemed like he would bring them back. I think that's where Dan Reeves got that trait with Elway.

Elway would play like crap for 3 quarters because he was reigned in too tightly by Reeves, then turn it on when they went to HUNH.

Stabler threw a beautiful ball that rarely wobbled at all and was a big gamer for 5-6 years until he got traded to Houston.

I couldn't believe Warren Moon didn't get drafted out of UW. I became a fan of his watching the Huskies in the Rose Bowl that came on right before our game with OU in the Orange Bowl with OU.

I don't know if I ever saw the guy throw a pass that wasn't a perfect spiral, which is more important that many think. The guy was on fire in the first half of the game at Buffalo where the Oilers blew a 35-3 lead. Jack Pardee got conservative and then panicked when the Bills started the comeback.

Kevin Gilbride didn't give Moon enough pass plays in the 2nd half or that comeback would not have happened.
You really brought back some memories. I thought I was the only one who remembered Greg Cook. Man, he had an awesome arm.

Torqued pork

• Wait 'til the next life.
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2019, 04:39:29 am »

Snake Stabler and Roger the Dodger.  Stabler was the perfect fun-loving misfit  to qb a team of fun-loving misfits. Roger was the perfect All-American to qb America's team.

I wish today's NFL qb's were as unique and likeable.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

• Come to the Dark Side
« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2019, 09:42:25 am »

First one I really tuned in to watch was Bradshaw.

Then I saw Dan Marino.  That was the one for me.  Never been one like him since, and may not ever be.

As good as QB play is today it doesn't come close to.

Dan Marino
John Elway
Joe Montana
Jim Kelly
Warren Moon
Bernie Kosar
Randall Cunningham
Boomer Esiason
Phil Simms
And so on and so forth

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2019, 10:07:36 pm »

John Hadl of the San Diego Chargers throwing bombs to Lance Alworth back in the day. 
And then he led the Rams resurgence in 1973 I think throwing bombs to Harold Jackson.  Hadl was rejuvenated and was awesome as a Ram for a few years.   
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas