• 10,311,539 Posts
• 408,463 Topics
• 23,339 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite old nfl qbs?  (Read 3124 times)

PORKULATOR

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
Re: Favorite old nfl qbs?
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2019, 06:58:42 pm »

I loved watching Dan Fouts play.
I'm hip... that dude is kinda annoying as an announcer but he was a competitor. I liked the Chargers of that era.
I loved the duels between  Marino and Ken O'Brien.  KO and my Jets won ALMOST  as many of those as we lost.

PORKULATOR

• knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2019, 07:00:14 pm »

Bobby Herbert when the Aints put their spin on the West Coast O.
They were quick and fun and he ran it well.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2019, 08:57:08 pm »

Joe Montana
Warren Moon
Randall Cunningham

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2019, 09:01:19 pm »

What, no Doug Davis fans ???

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2019, 09:03:33 pm »

Craig Morton, did he win a Super Bowl?

Junkyard Hog

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2019, 09:13:45 pm »

Jim Kelly

Pudgepork

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2019, 10:18:43 pm »

I hate to admit that I forgot about Joe Ferguson.

I also forgot about Archie.  If that guy had started his career with a good team, hed be the goat.  Lack of talent around them really lessened Archie and Joe Namaths pro careers

twistitup

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2019, 06:25:58 am »

Aikman

rzrbaxfan

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2019, 07:17:43 am »

I agree with all of the ones mentioned so far.  I'll go a little more obscure and talk about a guy on a team that wasn't as high profile.  In the mid 80's, there was a qb for the St Louis Cardinals named Neil Lomax.  The NFC east was loaded and the Cardinals never really measured up, but for a couple of seasons, they put together winning records and just barely missed the playoffs with Lomax at QB.  He was a slinger and he took a lot of nasty hits.  They had a lot of come from behind wins due to his play.  His career was cut short due to injuries, but even with a short career, he set many franchise records that stood for a long time.

hoglady

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2019, 08:32:03 am »

I hate to admit that I forgot about Joe Ferguson.

I also forgot about Archie.  If that guy had started his career with a good team, hed be the goat.  Lack of talent around them really lessened Archie and Joe Namaths pro careers

I forgot about Archie, too.
I guess I sat through too many Saints games I'd like to forget - when he was QB and the rest of team was awful.
His career was totally wasted playing with those teams.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2019, 09:51:17 am »

Stabler, Roger , Terry and Jim Plunkett

EastexHawg

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2019, 10:11:28 am »

In my opinion Sammy Baugh was the first GOAT.  Then it was Johnny Unitas.  Then it was Staubach.  Then it was (probably) Montana.  Now it may be Brady.

My favorite as a kid was Don Meredith.  Other outstanding QBs of that era were Len Dawson, Roman Gabriel, John Hadl, Jack Kemp, John Brodie, Daryl "The Mad Bomber" Lamonica, Namath, Bill Nelson of the Browns, Jurgensen, Bart Starr, and even old George Blanda.  I think Blanda may have been the MVP or Player of the Year one season when he was well into his 40s.  I remember him kicking a long field goal, as in close to 50 yards, to beat the Chiefs when the goal posts were on the goal line.  The Chiefs had a really tall guy, Morris Stroud...I think he may have been 6'8"...and they put him in front of the goal post to try to block the kick.

Blanda also won a couple of games at QB that year when Lamonica was injured.

Pudgepork

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2019, 10:18:03 am »

e
Stabler, Roger , Terry and Jim Plunkett

I'm old enough that I think I saw Don Meredith in his last year or so playing as a backup.
In thinking about this era I've been trying to remember who was qb for the giants because I didn't follow the giants it seems they should have had good ones.  In trying to come up with any giant qbs between 1970 -1985, I'm still blank. I could look it up but I thought surely some would be mentioned here.  Perhaps some were but I mean after Y.A. and Sammy Baugh eras.  2 names I pull up from memory was,

Greg Landry- Detroit?
Sonny Jurgenson- Redskins

EastexHawg

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2019, 10:24:48 am »

e
I'm old enough that I think I saw Don Meredith in his last year or so playing as a backup.
In thinking about this era I've been trying to remember who was qb for the giants because I didn't follow the giants it seems they should have had good ones.  In trying to come up with any giant qbs between 1970 -1985, I'm still blank. I could look it up but I thought surely some would be mentioned here.  Perhaps some were but I mean after Y.A. and Sammy Baugh eras.  2 names I pull up from memory was,

Greg Landry- Detroit?

Fran Tarkenton

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2019, 10:28:15 am »

e

Greg Landry- Detroit?
Mostly Phil Simms.

EastexHawg

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2019, 10:28:18 am »

Norm Snead came over to the Giants after Tarkenton went back to Minnesota.  I don't remember all their QBs but Joe Pisarcik was under center for the Miracle at the Meadowlands fumble, when Herm Edwards recovered and ran it in for a TD to beat the Giants.  I think that was in about 1978 and it's the reason teams take a knee now when running out the clock.

Pudgepork

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2019, 10:37:57 am »

Mostly Phil Simms.

Thanks. I remember Simms in the 80s, just couldn't put a name to him.  I'd discard him while trying to remember qbs before him. 

Did fran end his career at giants or start there and go to vikings?  Thru the 70's I hit my teens and uhm well, football was waaaay down the list of interests.  Now I'm a codger with alot of money donated to women and missing pieces in football related memories

EastexHawg

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2019, 11:05:40 am »

Thanks. I remember Simms in the 80s, just couldn't put a name to him.  I'd discard him while trying to remember qbs before him. 

Did fran end his career at giants or start there and go to vikings?  Thru the 70's I hit my teens and uhm well, football was waaaay down the list of interests.  Now I'm a codger with alot of money donated to women and missing pieces in football related memories

Tarkenton started with the Vikings, went to the Giants, then went back and finished his career with the Vikings.

Craig Morton also played for the Giants for a while after he left the Cowboys.

oldfart

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2019, 11:08:41 am »

didnt craig morton also play for denver?    Y.A. Tittle was a tough SOB

EastexHawg

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2019, 11:12:56 am »

Yes, he left the Giants and went to Denver.  He QBed them to the Super Bowl where he lost to the Cowboys.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2019, 11:13:26 am »

Got them to a Super Bowl, I think.

PossumFan

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2019, 01:25:46 pm »

Unitas was my hero as a kid. (Well, him and Alworth, but since we're talking about quarterbacks ...) Also, how about Y.A. Tittle?

hawkhawg

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2019, 01:36:17 pm »

Jim Plunkett.  He was the early eighties version of Nick Foles.

Pigsknuckles

• When you least expect it...
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2019, 01:50:19 pm »

Sonny Jurgensen. He was described a s a rain barrel with legs. Watched him run full tilt into a DB on a scramble. The DB didn't get up.

sevenof400

• Is it too late to remember what was best in life?
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2019, 05:19:55 pm »

Still one of the most iconic photos in sports:

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2019, 05:47:43 pm »

I agree with all of the ones mentioned so far.  I'll go a little more obscure and talk about a guy on a team that wasn't as high profile.  In the mid 80's, there was a qb for the St Louis Cardinals named Neil Lomax.  The NFC east was loaded and the Cardinals never really measured up, but for a couple of seasons, they put together winning records and just barely missed the playoffs with Lomax at QB.  He was a slinger and he took a lot of nasty hits.  They had a lot of come from behind wins due to his play.  His career was cut short due to injuries, but even with a short career, he set many franchise records that stood for a long time.

Lomax was a tough guy, and pretty underrated.   There were a host of guys like that, in that post-Fouts,  pre-Manning era.  Productive guys,  but they're all oft-forgotten.

For me, it tends to go by era and situation.   I enjoyed watching a Tommy Kramer at the end of the game, but not for the first 58 minutes.    I liked watching Joe Montana for everything but that last two minutes, because I was invariably rooting against that guy.     I liked Ken Anderson when he was doing things a decade too early for Bengals teams;  Fouts when he was bombing like Marino would 5 to 10 years later.       There has been no shortage of enjoyable QBs to watch, nor is there likely to be for a long time.

TNhogfan

« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2019, 06:00:42 pm »

Lamonica, Blanda, Stabler and later Plunkett.

First time I saw the Raiders, Lamonica was hurt and Blanda came into the game as the backup.  He led them to a tying score.  Raiders got the ball back and Blanda got them in FG range, then with no timeouts and clock running out he kicked the game winner.  I was hooked.  Then when Stabler started getting some playing time in '71 and '72 he became my favorite.  Hate what the Raiders have become since the last Super Bowl win.

Also liked:  Ferguson and Pastorini in AFC.  Bartkowski, Gabriel, Archie Manning in NFC and always like when Scott Bull would get in for the 49ers.

Boog41

« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2019, 06:14:52 pm »

Canít believe Iíve only seen Bart Star listed once and Len Dawson hasnít been mentioned at all.

Jean-Luc Pigard

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2019, 06:22:48 pm »

John Elway was always my favorite as a kid growing up.  His games were often on CBS at 3:00.  That's how I became a Broncos fan.  I'm not as strong of a fan as I used to be, though.  Honestly if it wasn't for my friend begging me to play in his fantasy football league every year, I probably wouldn't pay much attention to the NFL anymore.

hoglady

« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2019, 06:41:43 pm »

Canít believe Iíve only seen Bart Star listed once and Len Dawson hasnít been mentioned at all.

I was a Cowboys fan that loved Don Meredith so I didn't like Bart Starr BEFORE the Ice Bowl - and I dang sure didn't like him after it.

He was a great QB, though.

husker71

« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2019, 08:31:39 pm »

Jack Kemp throwing to Elbert " Golden Wheels" Dubenion and handing off to Cookie Gilchrist.  Kemps backup was Lamonica when he was just starting out.   Also long forgotten Karl Sweetan who tried to sell the Saints his Rams playbook when the Rams cut him. Started 19 games in his NFL career. 

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2019, 08:52:07 pm »

As a Rams fan I always hated Tarkenton and Staubach because they beat the Rams in the playoffs every year during the 70's or so it seemed. 
Always liked Namath and was a Jets fan also.  Was excited when he went to the Rams to close out his career but it was too late and he had nothing left. 
Huge Montana fan as I grew up an ND fan and also saw him play basketball in High school.  He was a good player and almost went to NC st to play hoops. 

moley_russells_wart_hog

« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2019, 08:55:38 pm »

George Blanda

im sure you know but blanda played for bear bryant..... at kentucky

moley_russells_wart_hog

« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2019, 09:11:03 pm »

gotta mention Earl Morrall i thought we had won superbowl 5 when Unitas was knocked out of the game but morrall came in and led the colts for the win

Pudgepork

« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2019, 09:27:31 pm »

As a Rams fan I always hated Tarkenton and Staubach because they beat the Rams in the playoffs every year during the 70's or so it seemed. 
Always liked Namath and was a Jets fan also.  Was excited when he went to the Rams to close out his career but it was too late and he had nothing left. 
Huge Montana fan as I grew up an ND fan and also saw him play basketball in High school.  He was a good player and almost went to NC st to play hoops.

Something i just learned because i went looking for an old pic of namath.  Talk about what ifs and fate!    Nameth was recruited by osu, nd and bama, amongst others. He chose Maryland.  Maryland wouldnt let him in because of core grades so he went to bama.   Thats as big if not bigger miscue than Alworth and Mississippi.

Bear said in his autobiography that Broadway Joe was the best natural athlete he ever coached and the best coaching decision he ever made was recruiting him

moley_russells_wart_hog

« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2019, 09:37:43 pm »

Johnny U and Joe Ferguson

funny thing i read this about unitas

in his younger years, Unitas dreamed about being part of the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame but when he tried out for the team, coach Frank Leahy simply said that he was just too skinny and he would "get murdered" if he was put on the field.

Unitas weighed 145 pounds on his first day of practice at Louisville.

fullfan

« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2019, 07:10:04 am »

Terry Bradshaw.

DustyHog21

• Band Nerd
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2019, 07:40:43 am »

Bart Starr, the Old Man himself, George Blanda, Fran Tarkenton, Sonny Jurgensen, Super Joe, Dandy Don, Roger, and probably a few more.
Johnny Unitas...Len Dawson....Y.A Tittle...John Hadl (& Alworth) drafted by Chargers in 1962....Joe Ferguson

plumbhog

« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2019, 09:50:08 am »

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2019, 09:55:32 am »

Jim Zorn to Steve Largent!

UhYeaJoe

• Band Nerd
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2019, 09:56:02 am »

Steve Grogan

the 1 and only

« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2019, 10:14:55 am »

Roger Staubach hands down. Love to watch him and Fran Tarkenton go at it

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2019, 11:07:27 am »

Fran Tarkenton
Kenny Anderson
Roger Staubach
Bert Jones
Dan Fouts
Dan Marino
Ron Jaworski
John Elway
Steve Young
Terry Bradshaw
Steve Bartkowski
Joe Namath
Jim Kelly
Kenny Stabler
Bret Favre

Regardless of Brady's successes, I still think Montana was the GOAT.  But they're definitely 1 and 2 whichever player you choose.

EastexHawg

« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2019, 12:54:18 pm »

The real G.O.A.T.
https://youtu.be/IMrP735pwN0

Throughout most of my lifetime Unitas was almost universally recognized as the greatest ever, at least until Montana came along.

I can't argue that he's not still the greatest, especially considering the era in which he played.

EastexHawg

« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2019, 12:59:54 pm »

Quarterbacks during Unitas' and Staubach's time threw the ball downfield.  They didn't throw 2 yard passes to backs, tight ends, and wideouts who were then supposed to run for yardage.  Because of that comparing completion percentages, and even interception numbers, between today and 1950-1980 is terribly flawed and uninformative.  Unitas and Staubach could complete 70% of their passes if 80% of them were for 0-5 yards, too, especially considering today's offense-friendly rules.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2019, 01:04:05 pm »

Quarterbacks during Unitas' and Staubach's time threw the ball downfield.  They didn't throw 2 yard passes to backs, tight ends, and wideouts who were then supposed to run for yardage.  Because of that comparing completion percentages, and even interception numbers, between today and 1950-1980 is terribly flawed and uninformative.  Unitas and Staubach could complete 70% of their passes if 80% of them were for 0-5 yards, too, especially considering today's offense-friendly rules.
I saw a stat many years ago that Bart Starr had a better downfield completion percentage than Unitas, Namath and everybody else in that era.

EastexHawg

« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2019, 02:00:00 pm »

I saw a stat many years ago that Bart Starr had a better downfield completion percentage than Unitas, Namath and everybody else in that era.

Back when quarterbacks called their own plays Starr used to love to throw deep on 2nd or 3rd and short.  I wish more coaches did it today.  Got second and a foot?  Take a shot.

EastexHawg

« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2019, 02:05:05 pm »

Carroll Dale averaged 19 yards per reception as a Packer and three times went over 20 for a season...almost 24 one year.  Boyd Dowler averaged over 15 for his career.

Compare that to Julian Edelman...10.8.

Starr wasn't throwing passes parallel to the line of scrimmage, hoping his receivers could run for yardage. 

TushCrush

« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2019, 02:13:23 pm »

My buddies and I loved Namath. In addition to most of the others mentioned I have fond memories of Joe Kapp and Roman Gabriel as well.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2019, 02:24:16 pm »

My buddies and I loved Namath. In addition to most of the others mentioned I have fond memories of Joe Kapp and Roman Gabriel as well.
I saw Joe Kapp in a game last night!  The Longest Yard!   ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas