• 10,306,092 Posts
• 408,350 Topics
• 23,328 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone at the scrimmage?  (Read 7570 times)

El Duderino

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Anyone at the scrimmage?
« on: January 26, 2019, 01:12:47 pm »

How we looking?

bulldog04

Re: Anyone at the scrimmage?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 02:01:33 pm »

Follow Ryan Folkes on twitter

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 02:25:53 pm »

Sounds like zay pitched great

hogfan14

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 02:30:22 pm »

Kenley just homered. Can’t say I expected that.

bulldog04

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 02:59:44 pm »

Coby Boulware had a good day. Zay was dominate and noland was good

Jason Carroll

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 03:24:57 pm »

Campbell picked up where he left off in the fall.  Connor pitched 3 innings and struck out four.

BigBen

• Varsity
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 03:58:09 pm »

I went and I will try and give as good of a recap as I can from memory.
Zay- looked like everyone hoped he would. Had command of all pitches and was hitting 94-95 with his fastball. Struck out 6 in 3 innings I believe  There were 5 pro scouts there and they were mainly focused on him. Looked like a 1st round draft pick.

Noland- Looks like the next big Arkansas pitcher. Located the fastball well and his curve is nasty. Don’t know how much stamina he has built up to be the Saturday starter but if he can’t expect him to be the first arm out of the pen most weekends.

Cronin- gave up a HR to boulware(wind aided) but struck out the other 3 he faced. Still has the same elite arm talent and will be a staple out of the pen in 2019 again.

Kenley- Shockingly turned on a ball and smashed it over the RF fence. If we can get a handful of HRs from him at the bottom half of the lineup we will be very dangerous.

Ezell- really the only other player offensively that is expected to play regularly that stood out. Kinda reminds me of Jake Arledge at the top of the lineup. Going to battle on every pitch and can stretch long singles into doubles and also a factor on the base paths in the hit and run.

Fletcher didn’t bat but played center so not really sure what that was about. Martin and Heston didn’t really do anything at the plate. Martin barely missed a couple that you eventually expect him to square up. McFarland struggled at the plate. Struck out at least 2 maybe 3 times. Overall was very impressed with the pitching and feel better about it going into the start of the season.

PorkRyan

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 04:14:26 pm »

Keep in mind that this is the first time the hitters have seen live pitching.  The swings got better throughout the scrimmage.  Also keep in mind that the pitchers are facing half of a starting lineup at best.  This team doesn't have much depth compared to last season.  I was impressed with Ezell.  He does battle at the plate.  I thought the pitchers benefitted from quite a few high fastball calls that they aren't getting in most games.  Franklin and Goodheart both have good swings, but they were both late on their timing today.  That should be fixed with seeing more live pitching.  McFarland looked lost.  Trest looked better at 1B.  He hit a ball that was caught at the wall, lined out and scooped a few balls at first.  Catcher is also a concern.  Plunkett looks better defensively to me but is really stiff at the plate.  He tries to muscle everything, but did hit a ball hard off of Noland.  Opitz had a few passed balls and didn't look great at the plate.  1B and C are the two question marks.

Campbell was really good on the mound.  Noland was dynamic in his first inning.  His breaking stuff was very sharp, but he lost the spin the last two innings and it didn't have the same bite.  He's going to pitch a lot more than I expected.  I'm guessing him, Wicklander, and Ramage fight it out for the 2 and 3 spot.  Kopps struggled.   He walked the first three in the first, but was better in the 2nd.   It may take him some time to get back into form.

ThisTeetsTaken

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 05:23:15 pm »

Disappointed to hear our struggles at 1B and C.   Hopefully those will be ironed out by conference play. 

Big Nasty 34

• All-American Hogvillian
  • John 3:16
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 07:29:51 pm »

Pitchers always have the advantage early on. Will be a fun year at Baum!

UofA🐗Alumna

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 07:37:18 pm »

Disappointed to hear our struggles at 1B and C.   Hopefully those will be ironed out by conference play.
I honestly don't know how anyone says that McFarland or any 1B looked lost.

I was at the scrimmage and there were no errors at 1B.

JMAC went 0-3 at the plate with 2 strikeouts.

Trest went 0-3 with 1 strikeout.

ADD:  Maybe some are confused b/c Ezell wasn't throwing the ball to first (due to recovery).  I don't know ---- I really don't understand the lost statement at all!

UofA🐗Alumna

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 07:41:42 pm »

Isaiah Campbell's day:

Three innings - one hit - zero runs - six K's - zero walks

PorkRyan

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 08:13:48 pm »

I was talking about McFarland at the plate. Trest hit one that was caught at the wall. 

BaumBrat

• Band Nerd
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 08:39:36 pm »

Who is Trest?

UofA🐗Alumna

UofA🐗Alumna

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 10:25:04 pm »

I was talking about McFarland at the plate. Trest hit one that was caught at the wall.

Makes sense.  I think Trest has the frame to be a good 1B but I also would love to see JMAC live up to his potential.  I think it's a confidence issue.

Quick question - does Coby Boulware have to sit out this year?

He is a transfer from TCU so I'd expect him to have to sit --- even though we have had players transfer from Arkasnas not have to sit out.

For those who come to the scrimmage he is the one in the blank shirsey. His number is #19 on the roster sheet ---- not on website.

Amityvillehogger

• Veni, vidi, vici...
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 10:47:25 pm »

Quick question - does Coby Boulware have to sit out this year?

When Kendall Rogers tweeted that he was transferring here in the summer/fall, he said he’d have to sit the 2019 season.

Unless something has changed...

UofA🐗Alumna

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 11:13:48 pm »

When Kendall Rogers tweeted that he was transferring here in the summer/fall, he said he’d have to sit the 2019 season.

Unless something has changed...
Of course.  Well he looked impressive today.  So he will be a good component for 2020.

PorkRyan

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 02:14:11 am »

McFarland looked like he was caught in between today. DVH mentioned that they had changed some stuff with him and it was working in the cafe. At times today he couldn’t pull the trigger and then he swung at a curveball 5 feet too soon.  We need him to get going.  My concern with him is dating back to last season when he went from hitting everything to not hitting at all.  Today was one scrimmage so I don’t want to read too much into it but 1B and Catcher are really the only open positions on the field.  Everything else seems locked down.

hogdollar

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 09:25:03 am »

Does anyone plan on being there today?

BigBen

• Varsity
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 12:02:59 pm »

Does anyone plan on being there today?
yes

Wisco Pig

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2019, 12:15:16 pm »

yes

If you have time to post your thoughts later, please do.   Enjoyed your summary yesterday.

hogdollar

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2019, 01:39:44 pm »

It started an hour early today. Ryan Folkes is posting an update every half inning and from the sounds of it Ramage is getting roughed up in the first 2. Given up 5 runs already.

bulldog04

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2019, 02:56:25 pm »

Martin has a couple of homers so far

dotnet

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2019, 04:12:35 pm »

It started an hour early today. Ryan Folkes is posting an update every half inning and from the sounds of it Ramage is getting roughed up in the first 2. Given up 5 runs already.

Hitters always have the advantage early...

jhogg

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2019, 05:15:37 pm »

I honestly don't know how anyone says that McFarland or any 1B looked lost.

I was at the scrimmage and there were no errors at 1B.

JMAC went 0-3 at the plate with 2 strikeouts.

Trest went 0-3 with 1 strikeout.

ADD:  Maybe some are confused b/c Ezell wasn't throwing the ball to first (due to recovery).  I don't know ---- I really don't understand the lost statement at all!
also its just the first practice, it will take the hitters a few practices to get there timing down

PorkRyan

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2019, 05:35:39 pm »

Hitters always have the advantage early...

Disagree with that.  Hitters almost always struggle the first time seeing live pitching.   

UofA🐗Alumna

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2019, 05:40:08 pm »

Martin put on a show today.

Sanchez is a big ol' boy but he has some control issues.  I wasn't close to a radar gun so I couldn't tell you if he throws gas but he has some of the same issues as that Rutledge with control.  He's a freshman so he will have time to turn it around.

I think the practice tomorrow will be indoors - please correct me if anyone hears otherwise.

ucahogfan

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2019, 05:42:21 pm »

Martin has a couple of homers so far
He could have a truly scary year for us.  He hit .345 with a K rate over 30% (64 Ks in roughly 260 PAs).  A lot of that had to do with his need to develop a better eye at the plate and having a tendency to chase breaking balls (as the vast majority of freshmen do).  If he develops an eye at the plate close to what Bonfield / Koch had, you are talking about a guy who could legitimately put together a .400/.500/.600 triple slash the next two years.

hogdollar

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2019, 05:59:22 pm »

Disagree with that.  Hitters almost always struggle the first time seeing live pitching.   
This is what I thought as well. Ramage struggled in the red white game as well. One more bad outing for him could move him into a weekday starting spot and really open the door for Noland and Wicklander.

Amityvillehogger

• Veni, vidi, vici...
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2019, 08:22:06 pm »

This is true. Hitters always struggle early. Pitchers have been throwing pens for awhile by now. They have early advantage.

Big Nasty 34

• All-American Hogvillian
  • John 3:16
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2019, 11:17:02 am »

He could have a truly scary year for us.  He hit .345 with a K rate over 30% (64 Ks in roughly 260 PAs).  A lot of that had to do with his need to develop a better eye at the plate and having a tendency to chase breaking balls (as the vast majority of freshmen do).  If he develops an eye at the plate close to what Bonfield / Koch had, you are talking about a guy who could legitimately put together a .400/.500/.600 triple slash the next two years.

Didn't DVH say Kjerstad was hitting around .500 in the fall? Going to be fun to watch those 2 the next couple years.

arthurhawgerelli

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2019, 11:58:30 am »

I totally agree, and I hope what Casey Martin is doing in the 2nd scrimmage is considered struggling for him, lol. 

They haven't seen live pitching since November.  Obviously they should struggle early.

arthurhawgerelli

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2019, 12:00:56 pm »

What's the word on Fletcher not batting?  Last year, seems like he got nailed in the ribs in pre-season, and I'm wondering if that wasn't part of his "slumpy" sophomore season at the plate at times. 

hogdollar

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2019, 11:56:37 am »

Does anyone plan on making it to the scrimmage today?

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2019, 12:27:01 pm »

Thanks everyone for the updates.

thehill1414

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2019, 02:29:48 pm »

This thread/forum is fantastic. Thanks for the updates

El Duderino

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2019, 02:58:46 pm »

Always look forward to baseball season not only because of the product on the field but also because EI is by far the best forum on Hogville and probably all of the internet

hogfan14

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2019, 04:48:38 pm »

Only notes from today's scrimmage I've seen so far are that Campbell went 4 innings and struck out 6 while Martin went 2-3 including a HR

PorkRyan

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2019, 05:48:56 pm »

They loaded up one team and Campbell went against that group.  Goodheart started in left. I figure that’s the probable starting lineup. Campbell gave up 4 hits, three of which were cheap. Martin crushed a HR off of him. Campbell looked very good.  I’ll sound like a broken record but the spots that are of concern are 1B and catcher. I think we are in good shape everywhere else.

hogdollar

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2019, 05:55:05 pm »

They loaded up one team and Campbell went against that group.  Goodheart started in left. I figure that’s the probable starting lineup. Campbell gave up 4 hits, three of which were cheap. Martin crushed a HR off of him. Campbell looked very good.  I’ll sound like a broken record but the spots that are of concern are 1B and catcher. I think we are in good shape everywhere else.
When you say concern are you talking about at the plate or in the field? Any idea who the other starter was.

PorkRyan

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2019, 06:28:17 pm »

When you say concern are you talking about at the plate or in the field? Any idea who the other starter was.

At the plate mostly, though neither catcher was great defensively. Opitz and McFarland started.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2019, 07:01:00 pm »

Only notes from today's scrimmage I've seen so far are that Campbell went 4 innings and struck out 6 while Martin went 2-3 including a HR

Connor Noland:

3.2 Innings
2 hits
2 runs (both earned)
2 walks
4 strikeouts

bulldog04

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2019, 07:15:05 pm »

Connor Noland:

3.2 Innings
2 hits
2 runs (both earned)
2 walks
4 strikeouts
Looks like they are extending Noland

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2019, 07:54:24 pm »

Looks like they are extending Noland
Yep.  Something not in that statline was when Noland picked off Curtis Washington in the 4th inning.  Noland has a pretty quick and impressive pick off move.

Add: Prior to Martin's homerun Kjerstad took one for a ride but fell short of a home run by a foot and Dillion Lifrieri made a great catch at the wall.

bodycounTT

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2019, 09:13:38 pm »

Are we going to use Trest on the hill or in the field this year? Or will he even see the field much?

hogdollar

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2019, 09:43:07 pm »

At the plate mostly, though neither catcher was great defensively. Opitz and McFarland started.
If McFarland continues to struggle at the plate dont be surprised to see Goodheart move to 1b. Behind the plate were gonna play Opitz more often because he wont strike out as much but last year Koch didnt provide much behind the plate but he was a beast defensively so hopefully Opitz can continue to develop back there.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2019, 09:49:09 pm »

Are we going to use Trest on the hill or in the field this year? Or will he even see the field much?
Trest is getting some play at both.  I think he pitched last Sunday but I'm not sure.  I'd expect to see him get some reps on the mound during midweeks.

Monke might be a LOOGY (lefty one out guy) until he gets more experience.  You can tell he is talented but just needs some more work.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2019, 09:52:23 pm »

Trest is getting some play at both.  I think he pitched last Sunday but I'm not sure.  I'd expect to see him get some reps on the mound during midweeks.

Monke might be a LOOGY (lefty one out guy) until he gets more experience.  You can tell he is talented but just needs some more work.

If, and I mean IF, you can criticize DVh for much, it seems as if since Jorn has been gone we have shortened the bullpen and “work” for younger guys. 

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2019, 09:56:33 pm »

If, and I mean IF, you can criticize DVh for much, it seems as if since Jorn has been gone we have shortened the bullpen and “work” for younger guys.
I'm interested to see the bullpen dynamic now that Coach Suggs has moved to the MLB.

Doug Willey has taken that role now - hopefully, he can keep things rolling.

Also... for those who haven't made it to practice - Jared Gates is now a student coach.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas