• 10,303,196 Posts
• 408,294 Topics
• 23,335 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Connor Noland  (Read 14729 times)

WilsonHog

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
Connor Noland
« on: January 24, 2019, 04:39:13 pm »

From DVHís press conference today:

Matt Hobbs, our new pitching coach, really likes Connor. DVH said that true freshmen have pitched for us before, and that Connor would have to earn it, but he left open the possibility that he might be a weekend starter for us. DVH and CM had a good talk and CM shared our spring practice schedule. DVH described Connorís baseball/football schedule as ďfloatingĒ and said they would have to monitor it to make sure Connor wasnít lifting for both programs on the same days. Connor has a responsibility to keep the coaches informed, too. DVH also said that if Connor earned a weekend spot and was starting on the same day as the Red White spring game, he probably would not play in the spring game.

Sounded to me like Connor is making a very good impression on DVH and Coach Hobbs.

Bubba's Bruisers

Re: Connor Noland
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 04:50:48 pm »

So baseball over a Spring Game if there's a conflict.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

blu

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 05:05:20 pm »

Good on him.

woodrow hog call

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 05:07:36 pm »

One good thing about him is he's probably used to doing football workouts, during baseball season. Football is king at Greenwood, spring football is next, then it's off season football, somewhere down the line they make a little time for baseball.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 05:25:08 pm »

As it should be

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 05:29:56 pm »

As it should be

I'm fine with it if CM is, but I'd prefer he was committed to football first.  I assume he's on FB scholarship, but I also assume that came with some promises to play baseball.

CandleStick

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 05:33:21 pm »

I'm fine with it if CM is, but I'd prefer he was committed to football first.  I assume he's on FB scholarship, but I also assume that came with some promises to play baseball.

The kid has a legit shot to make it in baseball yet your educated opinion says no stay in football where we are bringing in at least one transfer and talking to another lol!!

Superhog1959

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 05:36:12 pm »

The kid has a legit shot to make it in baseball yet your educated opinion says no stay in football where we are bringing in at least one transfer and talking to another lol!!
You are correct. His shot is with DVH and baseball.

CandleStick

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 05:39:30 pm »

You are correct. His shot is with DVH and baseball.

I wonít put the bank on it but I would say if Connor does make the weekend rotation and he sees that hicks will be the starter u may see him give it up and stick to baseball. Iím in no way in the know on this but a weekend starter in the SEC has a real shot at being drafted. A backup QB ehhh not so much.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 05:40:58 pm »

So his first commitment should be to play in a meaningless scrimmage 5 months before the season starts over pitching in a conference baseball game?

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 05:57:38 pm »

My thought on it is that he should do what he believes is best for him.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 05:58:47 pm »

He needs to start a poll on Hogville and let us decide what's best for him. 

RaisinHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 05:59:32 pm »

I wonít put the bank on it but I would say if Connor does make the weekend rotation and he sees that hicks will be the starter u may see him give it up and stick to baseball. Iím in no way in the know on this but a weekend starter in the SEC has a real shot at being drafted. A backup QB ehhh not so much.

If your good enough too be a weekend starter as a frosh at Arkansas there is no doubt about being drafted .. now will he do that ? Probably not .. but hey I'm rooting for the young man.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 06:01:36 pm »

Iíve said many times that Noland should focus on baseball because that is where his future is.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 06:02:13 pm »

Nah, Iíve already decided.  ;)

southeasthog

• Resident Inspector
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 06:06:00 pm »

This. But as long as he is on a Football Scholarship, his first priority should be Football.

bulldog04

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 06:12:21 pm »

This. But as long as he is on a Football Scholarship, his first priority should be Football.
Not if heís a weekend starter in the SEC. if he does that as a freshman then he will be the Friday night guy as a Junior more than likely. That means he will get drafted and have a huge bonus. Whatever is best for him

UofA🐗Alumna

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 06:13:15 pm »

While what you say might be true in principle it is my understanding that he would be give a fair shot to play both sports.  If he does well in baseball then he should be able to focus on that sport.

I'd also add that if it wasn't for the idiotic 11.7 rule he could be on a full baseball scholarship.  Too many scrubs on football teams (not just the Razorbacks) eat up and waste scholarship money while baseball players get partial scholarships or walk on the team.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 07:53:28 pm by UofA🐗Alumna »

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 06:19:48 pm »

I hear he doesn't like frito pie because it puts Bielema type weight on

woodrow hog call

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 07:01:01 pm »

What if he becomes a weekend starter,

In both sports? Who is to say he couldnít

CandleStick

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 07:10:34 pm »

What if he becomes a weekend starter,

In both sports? Who is to say he couldnít

We wouldnít be bringing in a grad transfer and talking to a second if they thought Connor was the guy.

rhames

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 07:13:12 pm »

Get out of here with that crazy talk. He should do what us losers on a message board want him to do.

AirWarren

• Football impotence of the Midwest
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 07:16:05 pm »

This. Middle aged men with no college experience should be able to dictate what is best for him.

Hoggish

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 07:19:40 pm »

That's just crazy talk!  8)

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 07:27:45 pm »

No, smart guy.  I have no problem with the decision, but it is my educated guess that such is confirmation that baseball is his real future.  If he thinks that, then go for it. 

Iím just desperate for a QB. 

CandleStick

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2019, 07:51:57 pm »

No, smart guy.  I have no problem with the decision, but it is my educated guess that such is confirmation that baseball is his real future.  If he thinks that, then go for it. 

Iím just desperate for a QB.

Thatís not what you said at all. You said he should commit to football first. I think the writing is on the wall that the coaches donít believe they have a QB on campus ready to take over the starting job. Thatís why they went after Hicks and now youíre seeing some rumors of potentially another transfer who has 2 years. While I suspect Connor will battle in spring he will end up a baseball player.

woodrow hog call

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 07:58:06 pm »

We wouldnít be bringing in a grad transfer and talking to a second if they thought Connor was the guy.

Nothing wrong with more competition, doubt they name a starter in January

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2019, 08:09:00 pm »

Thatís not what you said at all. You said he should commit to football first. I think the writing is on the wall that the coaches donít believe they have a QB on campus ready to take over the starting job. Thatís why they went after Hicks and now youíre seeing some rumors of potentially another transfer who has 2 years. While I suspect Connor will battle in spring he will end up a baseball player.

Yes, I prefer he put football first, because thatís his scholarship.  But not force him to it, of course.  To sharpen my point, I prefer that HE prefer football, but know thatís likely just not the case.  yes, itís already been assumed that baseball is his ultimate future, which is great for him.  I just happen to wish his future was football instead.  I just want to find the guy at QB.

Again, not a proponent of forching him to choose one over the other.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2019, 10:21:46 pm »

So his first commitment should be to play in a meaningless scrimmage 5 months before the season starts over pitching in a conference baseball game?
With our recent results and QB play one could make the argument that the spring game is more important.

UA1985

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2019, 11:10:08 pm »

Chances of him beating out Hicks are not good, so I see him as a candidate for starting QB in 2020. Thus, he should prioritize baseball this spring and do whatever he can to help us from the mound.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 11:37:51 pm »

A lot of posters on here are condemning other posters for wanting him to play in the spring football game IF HE STAYS ON FOOTBALL SCHOLARSHIP.

How is that unreasonable? If he prefers baseball or puts baseball first, does he really need to be on a football scholarship if that's the case?

If the coaches let him do that, ok, but that would severely limit his chances of winning the job this year. Maybe Hicks is going to be the starter anyway, but there should be a competition..

If the coaches made that promise about not playing the spring game, fine, keep the promise. No one is blaming Noland if he chooses baseball, it's his decision and his future at stake.

However, if and when he chooses baseball first, does he still need to still be on a football scholarship? I can understand if he was a weekend starter and the coaches made a promise and felt he could still compete without the spring game, again, it's not for me to say that is wrong.

I just feel like the players who are competing every practice AND the spring game would be short changed if a guy skipped out and was to win the job, even if by an injury to Hicks.

He has the right to choose what he wants, but being on a football scholarship is not a right, it is a privilege. If at any point he decides to concentrate on baseball, the FB scholarship should go to a full time player.

He needs to understand that not playing the spring game would cause Hicks or someone to win the job kind of by default. Those kind of deals are usually reserved for proven players in the sport they are on scholarship in.

Just my two cents and I'm not going to throw a tantrum either way. If he's good enough in both sports and wants to play both and has a deal with both coaches on all this, that is their decision. I just think a player's has an obligation to put the sport first that he is getting the schollie for..

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2019, 12:32:55 am »

As it should be since the baseball game is a real game and the football spring game isnít.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2019, 12:35:37 am »

Iíve said many times that Noland should focus on baseball because that is where his future is.

He should focus on whatever sport he wants to focus on.

War Boar

• Senior
  • "We have met the enemy and they are ours..."
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2019, 12:58:16 am »

A lot of posters on here are condemning other posters for wanting him to play in the spring football game IF HE STAYS ON FOOTBALL SCHOLARSHIP.

Someone please correct me if Iím wrong. It is my understanding that it doesnít matter what his preference is, if he plays football he has to be on football scholarship. I think the rules were written that way to prevent schools from using other sports as a way of giving out extra football scholarships.

razorkev

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2019, 05:27:28 am »

SHHH..We are becoming the Alabama of Baseball !!!

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2019, 06:03:34 am »

How is that unreasonable? If he prefers baseball or puts baseball first, does he really need to be on a football scholarship if that's the case?

If the coaches let him do that, ok, but that would severely limit his chances of winning the job this year. Maybe Hicks is going to be the starter anyway, but there should be a competition..

If the coaches made that promise about not playing the spring game, fine, keep the promise. No one is blaming Noland if he chooses baseball, it's his decision and his future at stake.

However, if and when he chooses baseball first, does he still need to still be on a football scholarship? I can understand if he was a weekend starter and the coaches made a promise and felt he could still compete without the spring game, again, it's not for me to say that is wrong.

I just feel like the players who are competing every practice AND the spring game would be short changed if a guy skipped out and was to win the job, even if by an injury to Hicks.

He has the right to choose what he wants, but being on a football scholarship is not a right, it is a privilege. If at any point he decides to concentrate on baseball, the FB scholarship should go to a full time player.

He needs to understand that not playing the spring game would cause Hicks or someone to win the job kind of by default. Those kind of deals are usually reserved for proven players in the sport they are on scholarship in.

Just my two cents and I'm not going to throw a tantrum either way. If he's good enough in both sports and wants to play both and has a deal with both coaches on all this, that is their decision. I just think a player's has an obligation to put the sport first that he is getting the schollie for..
Chances are he will be the backup to Hicks in 2019.  That's kinda important, IMO.   Just about every team in the country has one.

ricepig

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2019, 06:14:36 am »

Chances are he will be the backup to Hicks in 2019.  That's kinda important, IMO.   Just about every team in the country has one.

Correct, he most likely will be #2, assuming there isn't an additional grad QB added to the roster. I believe Morris said we need competition at every spot.

Bacons Rebellion

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2019, 06:30:26 am »

All you have to do to know what's best for Connor Noland is to list the number of Razorback quarterbacks in the NFL since 1980 and the number of Razorback pitchers in the majors since 1980.

But we all can suspect that our #2 quarterback will be in the spotlight at some point this fall, so I'm glad he's doing both.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2019, 07:13:38 am »

With our recent results and QB play one could make the argument that the spring game is more important.

More important to...you? Me? The football team? The baseball team? Fans who prefer baseball to football? Vice versa?

OneLardAlmighty

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2019, 07:30:04 am »

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong. It is my understanding that it doesn’t matter what his preference is, if he plays football he has to be on football scholarship. I think the rules were written that way to prevent schools from using other sports as a way of giving out extra football scholarships.

This is my understanding as well.  Though perhaps at Arkansas, we should hand out football scholarships to stash guys for baseball.

Superhog1959

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2019, 08:03:29 am »

I have said that I felt Connor's best shot was baseball. As have many others who also gave reasoning for that. I don't mean that in a sense as to be telling him what to do. He should do what he wants to do. But at a young age, it sometimes doesn't hurt to listen to others, with expirenece, on advice. I wish I would have had more of that in my younger days.

oldbear

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2019, 08:16:21 am »

Yes the rules say if you have an athletic scholarship and step foot on the field for a football game, then that scholarship counts for the 85. If Connor wants to play both, he should. If the football c OPaches believe he is important enough to the football team to keep him on scholarship, then they should.

I bet his teammates think it's cool that he plays baseball. He apparently is a great kid and teammate too. Let it be. Cheer him and both sets of teammates on.

arthurhawgerelli

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2019, 08:24:42 am »

Once again, Connor is on a football scholarship.  Van Horn and Morris have both announced they will work together with him, and that sounds more like he'll get his football reps in at practice.  The spring game is April 6th.  The Diamond Hogs are at Auburn that weekend.  Although not everybody will agree with this, if Connor is a weekend starter, doing well, and the team is on a good run, I could see Morris allowing him to go to Auburn that weekend. 

He had become our best qb in practice, but as was seen when he got into the games, it wasn't translating 100%, but as in the Missouri game, the receivers dropped a ton of passes, so who could establish rhythm? 

Those green shirts in practice even behind the most terrible line Arkansas has had in memory still gives a qb lots of confidence.  Unfortunately, in the game, only Tom Brady is treated like he's wearing a green shirt by the refs and league. 

I honestly expect Hicks to start, but I don't expect Noland will tuck his tail and run away from competition. 

He was a very good high school pitcher, but I feel he was a better qb.  He may announce today he's withdrawing from the football team, but I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed a 2 sport athlete until he became draft eligible again, and then make the best decision for him.  At the end of the day, if he decides to go all baseball right now, I'll be 100% behind his decision.  He was recruiting for the football team his entire senior year of high school.

He's a Hog through and through. 

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2019, 08:44:52 am »

I say do what Auburn did for Frank Tomas.  Keep him on a full football scholarship. Have his listed as a walk on for baseball there by freeing up more scholarship money for baseball!

farfromgroovins

• Varsity
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2019, 08:50:18 am »

Correct, he most likely will be #2, assuming there isn't an additional grad QB added to the roster. I believe Morris said we need competition at every spot.

And that is worth a football schollie

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2019, 09:05:03 am »

No one on this board knows what Noland plans are. Since the football coaches are bringing in other QBs I get the feeling they think he is not the best option for them. They want someone committed to the football program. Nolan should decide. If it is baseball then dedicate himself to base ball and give up his football scholarship. He does not appear to be the athlete that Murry is.

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
  • We Played Like A Wild Band of Razorbacks!
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2019, 09:21:27 am »

The only thing I'll say about the "He's on a football scholarship" argument is that the opposite is not available to him if he's playing both sports. He cannot play football and be on a baseball scholarship. My assumption is that Morris and Van Horn have agreed on how to use him and everyone was on board when he was being recruited to play both.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2019, 09:25:21 am »

No one on this board knows what Noland plans are. Since the football coaches are bringing in other QBs I get the feeling they think he is not the best option for them. They want someone committed to the football program. Nolan should decide. If it is baseball then dedicate himself to base ball and give up his football scholarship. He does not appear to be the athlete that Murry is.

Just because he may not play both sports professionally doesn't mean he couldn't be a very good dual-sport collegiate athlete.

There are very, very few people on this earth that are the types of athlete that Murray is.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2019, 10:09:35 am »

More important to...you? Me? The football team? The baseball team? Fans who prefer baseball to football? Vice versa?
The Football team of which he is one of 85 scholarship players for Football.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
  • In Karma Nirvana for all time.
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2019, 10:15:41 am »

Not necessarily. They might be bringing in the grad transfers for a year or 2 until the freshmen (Connor and KJ Jefferson) are ready.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas