• 10,311,536 Posts
• 408,462 Topics
• 23,339 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Bo Mattingly  (Read 16010 times)

Dr. Leonard Ford

Re: Bo Mattingly
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2019, 06:13:03 pm »

I never liked how he acted like the fans were stupid....

This is why I liked his show.

swineology

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2019, 06:37:43 pm »

Yes.  What does he do now?

Stay at home Dad  in Memphis

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hawg1221

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2019, 08:06:25 pm »

The homers didn't like him because he told it like it was. It may have been a little crude at times, but it was truthful and highly entertaining. Also, he and Bazzel were great on the air together.

Somewhat 'BS'. I listened to him a lot, because I drive in Arkansas often. He has some really good guests and can speak about topics skillfully and intelligently. However, every now and then he gets a little "Paul Finebaum" in him, which to me is someone trying to start arguments, establishing a very negative environment.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Everything from did-il-I-doh to darned if I know
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2019, 08:14:59 pm »

So he's going to condense a 20 hour a week radio show to a one hour weekly podcast?  That sounds about right.

If you remove Joe from Avoca, Mike the gambling moron, and Eddie from Clarksville the show would be 15 minutes a week.

TDHawgs

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2019, 08:24:24 pm »

It time for the Eddie From Clarksville Hog Train show!!  His co host.. Joe from Avoca... I'd listen..  If they can't do it because of low pay.. get Tiger Bait and Mike from Stuttgart to do it... The show must go on.. Blow the Whistle!!!! Hog Delight!!

zumhog

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2019, 08:24:26 pm »

Bo's show was the best as far as radio covering Razorback sports since Barretts show went off air. It's going to suck not having a Razorback driven radio show in NWA to listen to. Grant Hall's show is so boring except when Irwin is on, I almost fall asleep driving and half the time he just talks drivel. I will miss Bo's show but good luck to him on his new endeavor. I hope his vision excels.

HawgFan4lyfe

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2019, 08:42:02 pm »

JB is my fav.

Hog N Bama

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2019, 08:51:29 pm »

says he will be going off the air next month to focus on a 1 hour, weekly podcast discussing Arkansas sports and focusing on other digital medias. Something doesn't feel right with this announcement.
ZZZZZZZZZZZ SNORE ZZZZZZZZZZ SNORE ZZZZZZZZ 🙄

vandybuff

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2019, 08:55:47 pm »

I never liked how he acted like the fans were stupid for getting rid of Long and CBB.  People like him telling us we should just sit back and be happy with what we have is the reason we are here today.  Basketball and football both have been on a steady decline because people want to make excuses instead of taking responsibility.

Unless you are a proctologist you never make many friends viewing them as @ssholes. 

Hog N Bama

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2019, 08:56:56 pm »

I Have a job. You need to do it. Hire Bo's salespeople. They need jobs. Own your own show. That's the only real way to make money in radio.
Shucks, no more HS School District ads. I was having fun singing along

« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2019, 09:06:15 pm »

Bo's on air show is completely going away so none of his people will replace it. I figure somebody will step up and handle that slot. Maybe Phil Elson. Somebody with Razorback ties.

You were the best part of that show so you get my vote to take over

Mike Irwin

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2019, 10:32:51 pm »

He was extremely upset over the Jeff Long debacle. So many guaranteed narratives back then that got 100% proven wrong....lots of hurt feelings from that.

Just like with the rest of most our media....they get too buddy buddy with the coaches and in this case Jeff Long too. I guarantee you he is in regular contact with Houston Nutt and Bret Bielema to this day. So....then with that scenario you get what you get with the radio show. The best thing about his show was easily the quality of guests he brought to the table...but I quit listening cold turkey when he had his nervous breakdown over the Jeff Long/Bielema situation.

I bet their number of listeners are going in the tank over the past few years. The longer the sports teams continue to get worse the less people will care to listen to a call in show.
I'm around the Hog media on a near daily basis. I have never heard one of them say they wished Bert was back. I don't know any of them upset that Long is gone. All of us cover the coach and AD that is in place. Just because we don't insult them or demand that they be fired doesn't make us buddy buddy with them. This is a typical Internet complaint that is based on zero contact with anyone in the media.

As for Bo show, he's not shutting it down because of audience or money problems. It's a lot of work. They're at work early every morning doing show prep. Then they're live for three and a half hours every weekday afternoon. A guy like me just walks in and answers questions. Easy work. Very different from what they do.

Personally I think Bo got tired of it and knows he can make more money by going in a different direction.

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2019, 10:45:26 pm »

It's far and away the best sports talk show in the state. Bo's done very well for himself and this move will be a real financial boon. He will make it to the big time.

jkstock04

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2019, 10:53:16 pm »

I'm around the Hog media on a near daily basis. I have never heard one of them say they wished Bert was back. I don't know any of them upset that Long is gone. All of us cover the coach and AD that is in place. Just because we don't insult them or demand that they be fired doesn't make us buddy buddy with them. This is a typical Internet complaint that is based on zero contact with anyone in the media.

As for Bo show, he's not shutting it down because of audience or money problems. It's a lot of work. They're at work early every morning doing show prep. Then they're live for three and a half hours every weekday afternoon. A guy like me just walks in and answers questions. Easy work. Very different from what they do.

Personally I think Bo got tired of it and knows he can make more money by going in a different direction.
You were probably too busy to notice but him and Bart were having a nervous breakdown the week of and after the Jeff Long firing. According to them the University was out of control and had no idea what they were doing. Everything was just in shambles and people running things were a bunch of idiots. I can't tell you how many times I heard about playoff committees and academic honor rolls. Awesome times.

And c'mon...the being Bret Bielema show? A lot of good that showbiz did us. It was obvious from that point forward there was some sort of personal relationship. The guy still has Houston Nutt come on the show? Really? And I read on here a few weeks back that he had Bielema on the show recently as well. Why? I'm not gonna buy that he doesn't have a personal relationship with these people... especially Bielema.

MikePiazza

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Chicks dig the long ball
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2019, 10:58:06 pm »

I'll never forgive Bo for Todd Latourette. Period.

The Hawgman

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2019, 12:03:26 am »

Bo has had this dream for years.  He has now done some stuff for ESPN, has a good resume to produce content for others and make good money doing it.  I figured this was coming.  He was gone a lot over the last 18 months.
Quit listening to him some time back
Boring and self absorbed.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • '69, not a gun in your pants, just glad to see me
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2019, 12:29:54 am »

This is why I liked his show.
It is very easy to make someone look stupid or misspoken when all you have to do is signal for the "dump button" and get the last word in. How many radio debates are you going to lose with the advantage of cutting off your antagonist at his lowest point and jumping in for the last word with a brilliant 'put down'. I think rarely to none.

hawg1221

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2019, 12:50:52 am »

It is very easy to make someone look stupid or misspoken when all you have to do is signal for the "dump button" and get the last word in. How many radio debates are you going to lose with the advantage of cutting off your antagonist at his lowest point and jumping in for the last word with a brilliant 'put down'. I think rarely to none.

That's actually a good point.

feral boar

« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2019, 01:01:28 am »

get a better voice for the hogs and put chuck back on sports rap. bo wasn't good his first time around and wasn't any better the second except for his guests.

chuck wasn't great but better than bo and at least him, the dudster, and orvilles kid were more entertaining. plus it sounded like dudster and orvilles kid liked chuck better.

kodiakisland

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2019, 01:51:27 am »

Bo will be fine.  I'm worried about all his regular callers.  Are they going to have to find jobs now?

hawg1221

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2019, 02:29:00 am »

Bo will be fine.  I'm worried about all his regular callers.  Are they going to have to find jobs now?

I've always wondered that about the Paul Finebaum show. Seriously.

EastTNHog

• Varsity
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2019, 06:54:25 am »

I've found that Beau spends more time making fun of other coaches, players, fans, etc than actually talking Razorback sports.  I can expect t hear some sort of clip every day and the crew making fun of that person.  It's gotten really tired.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2019, 07:44:13 am »

Had a meeting in little rock today and have been listening too DTS from little rock too arkadelphia and I swear they have only mentioned the hogs once  ..

That show is a full on joke.  A bad joke at that.  I used to listen back around 2000 or so, and was mildly entertained.  The times I've been in Central Arkansas and had it on recently, I literally found myself listening in a mode similar to watching a train crash.  It's horrible, and you know it's horrible, but you can't look away because you want to see how horrible it's going to be.  It's that bad. 

I passed through Conway and they had Fletcher on there just babbling ON AND ON.  He was STILL on there, being lobbed questions from Bazzel, when I passed through Russellville, and there wasn't a single mention of anything about not just the hogs, but sports in general.  It was ABYSMAL, and I have no idea how that program is still on the air. 

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2019, 07:53:34 am »

I don't know Bo, but I think he has at least one fairly young child.  Being able to make your own schedule, if you have that luxury, is invaluable when it comes to feeling like you're not missing out on things that you only get one chance to experience in life.  I don't know what radio requires, but lining up guests, preparing interview questions, prepping with information on related sporting events, and all of that type of thing has to be demanding...and TEDIOUS.  I'm sure it would get old after awhile. 

With this change, he can focus on things that are current and interesting, rather than taking calls from Tim in Stuttgart, and trying to raise the ire of fans through that means.  I guarantee you if this fails, he'll be welcomed back on the radio by someone, because he's pretty good at it...like him or not.  So...there's a fall back position.   

But..make no mistake, Bo did things intentionally to stir things up and raise the hackles of Hog fans.  He wanted to infuse controversy.  I had no issue with that, other than the same tired callers time after time, to the point that I would turn the channel and come back a few minutes later when they were done.   

AirWarren

• Football impotence of the Midwest
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2019, 08:59:39 am »

That show is a full on joke.  A bad joke at that.  I used to listen back around 2000 or so, and was mildly entertained.  The times I've been in Central Arkansas and had it on recently, I literally found myself listening in a mode similar to watching a train crash.  It's horrible, and you know it's horrible, but you can't look away because you want to see how horrible it's going to be.  It's that bad. 

I passed through Conway and they had Fletcher on there just babbling ON AND ON.  He was STILL on there, being lobbed questions from Bazzel, when I passed through Russellville, and there wasn't a single mention of anything about not just the hogs, but sports in general.  It was ABYSMAL, and I have no idea how that program is still on the air.

Is there really anything to talk about from 6a-7pm on the radio all about the hogs? You talk about painful. Especially coming off a 2-10 season and a possible mediocre basketball season....and the missed popped fly. I just quit listening all together. I'm finding out why some of you are so angry all the time....listening to abysmal hog "updates" all day.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2019, 09:16:46 am »

Who does Bo think he is, Joe Rogan ?  Does he think he's going to accrue a million or so signing up for his podcast ? Podcasting is a lucrative business but you must be talented in the ways of gab. You cannot have a guest on and do a radio type interview. Podcasting requires in-depth moments yet lighter moments combined. We shall see if he can make it. It's a huge risk, but if he has the tools to run a good podcast and develop a good sized audience, he'll make more money than he did in radio. However....
Everyone believes they are the next podcast star.  they don't want to believe the dynamic of radio is so much different.  People in their cars, tuning in and tuning out.  It's so much different than how I choose which podcast to listen to.

rhames

« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2019, 10:47:34 am »

You were probably too busy to notice but him and Bart were having a nervous breakdown the week of and after the Jeff Long firing. According to them the University was out of control and had no idea what they were doing. Everything was just in shambles and people running things were a bunch of idiots. I can't tell you how many times I heard about playoff committees and academic honor rolls. Awesome times.

And c'mon...the being Bret Bielema show? A lot of good that showbiz did us. It was obvious from that point forward there was some sort of personal relationship. The guy still has Houston Nutt come on the show? Really? And I read on here a few weeks back that he had Bielema on the show recently as well. Why? I'm not gonna buy that he doesn't have a personal relationship with these people... especially Bielema.

They didn't.

I'm not sticking up for long and Bret should have been fired. But that whole month was a cluster and it was apparent they had no plan in place at all.

Not to knock Morris, but that's why we ended up with a coach from SMU. Anyone that wasn't an up and comer wanted nothing to do with us 

Way too many factions were battling it out.

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2019, 10:53:25 am »

Leach wanted the job and he is no up and comer but besides him the best we would ever have gotten is an up and comer.  It's hard to have a coaching search and an AD search at the same time.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2019, 11:32:23 am »

BYE BO Thanks for the memories

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2019, 11:36:33 am »

No clue where Jay is now....

Don't know !

Redhogs

« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2019, 11:38:39 am »

You don’t insult them yet you continuously misspell his name with an ignorant moniker  called BERT? Stay classy Mick Irpin.
Bert is too good for the lazy drunk that totally tanked the program. Took the millions and left town...talk about classy.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2019, 11:41:45 am »

Bert is too good for the lazy drunk that totally tanked the program. Took the millions and left town...talk about classy.

Good to know that if a company hired you and gave you a fat guaranteed contract, but you royally [CENSORED] up, were fired, and were still owed the money, that you'd give it back.

AirWarren

« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2019, 11:50:54 am »

Blame the stupid idiots running the university.

It’s called a contract. It took both sides to formulate it. And good to know if you were fired with favorable contract terms you would just refuse to take it and walk away a “swell guy”. Take it up with the legal team and the PTB with their stupid ways.

But people like mick irpin need to keep from taking the high road in a comment yet is elementary enough to call the man a juvenile moniker.

jkstock04

« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2019, 12:18:30 pm »

They didn't.

I'm not sticking up for long and Bret should have been fired. But that whole month was a cluster and it was apparent they had no plan in place at all.

Not to knock Morris, but that's why we ended up with a coach from SMU. Anyone that wasn't an up and comer wanted nothing to do with us 

Way too many factions were battling it out.
Assumptions.

rhames

« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2019, 12:30:57 pm »

Assumptions.

Not really

Anyone with half a brain and was following the searches could see it was a complete cluster.

Your opinion on Long doesn't have to blind you that the situation was handled poorly

jkstock04

« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2019, 01:37:53 pm »

Not really

Anyone with half a brain and was following the searches could see it was a complete cluster.

Your opinion on Long doesn't have to blind you that the situation was handled poorly

"Handled poorly"

I'm not going to pretend to know exactly what went down behind closed doors like you. The "outrage" was from people triggered about what was going down in the first place. Local media got it wrong (big shocker) as to who the hire was so all the sudden it's a "cluster."

Remember Jeff Long at that meeting and they made him sit outside the entire time? Pure hilarity of ensuing homers coming to the rescue saying it meant nothing and everyone who said otherwise was a brain dead idiot. Hmmmmm guess not. That may have meant something.

For the rest of my life I will never forget this era of Razorback football...I will remember this vividy. The Bielema and Long era...the time of building things the right way with integrity. Notice how the new AD barely makes headlines? Maybe something to that.

AirWarren

« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2019, 02:07:44 pm »

"Handled poorly"

I'm not going to pretend to know exactly what went down behind closed doors like you. The "outrage" was from people triggered about what was going down in the first place. Local media got it wrong (big shocker) as to who the hire was so all the sudden it's a "cluster."

Remember Jeff Long at that meeting and they made him sit outside the entire time? Pure hilarity of ensuing homers coming to the rescue saying it meant nothing and everyone who said otherwise was a brain dead idiot. Hmmmmm guess not. That may have meant something.

For the rest of my life I will never forget this era of Razorback football...I will remember this vividy. The Bielema and Long era...the time of building things the right way with integrity. Notice how the new AD barely makes headlines? Maybe something to that.

Long and Bielema just couldn’t make it work here. That’s normal. Some people and their career path just doesn’t work out. Unfortunately in our conference landscape, there isn’t much room for “learn on the fly” transfer from a yankee to understanding southern culture overnight in regard to our competition.

We all knew our fate when we went from Coke to Pepsi, honestly. And the AD/coach was dead set on walling off the entire fan base to the northwest corner. Long likes the spotlight and attention. Narcissistic people tend to hide well behind the sheep skin but when they are figured out, it happens fast. Bielema just so happens to be a brilliant marketer for Bret Bielema and Long knew the right people to immediately land on his feet. Not many people can have a 1 mil $ home in Arkansas, sell it for a 90k$ profit then land at the most premiere sports organization in America after having an embarrassing record at an sec school. I know now why he likes to hang at the black jack table. That’s one good run of good luck SOB.

AirWarren

« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2019, 02:13:06 pm »

What sucks about Bielema is that he was a likeable guy. Loved to market our brand wherever he went. Fake, stunt whatever you want to call it. But he was good at it. He just sucked as a ball coach. Delegated too much instead of take ownership.

rhames

« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2019, 02:20:04 pm »

"Handled poorly"

As I suspected, you can't separate your disdain for Long and Bret with how the whole situation was handled. It's ok.

I'm sure the bolded part left many esteemed ADs and coaches beating down our door for the job.

Sourpuss

« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2019, 03:22:50 pm »

Bo, emboldened by his new position, is now referring to you people as "the morons on Hogville.

Sourpuss

« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2019, 03:27:48 pm »

The lickspittle is getting thick now with people calling up and fawning over him...smdh

AirWarren

« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2019, 03:30:14 pm »

As I suspected, you can't separate your disdain for Long and Bret with how the whole situation was handled. It's ok.

I'm sure the bolded part left many esteemed ADs and coaches beating down our door for the job.

Arkansas leadership and GOBN reaks of the “jerruh”, “jimmuh”, “Barruh”, “Frankuh” etc era. Lean way too much on that group of old timers. Hopefully HY will bring some new ideas to this state and progress into a non dated approach.

Sourpuss

« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2019, 03:30:45 pm »

He's about to dislocate his shoulder patting himself on the back.  Jeff Long's Elf on the Shelf

rhames

« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2019, 03:30:52 pm »

The lickspittle is getting thick now with people calling up and fawning over him...smdh

Ya know......you could......change the channel hahaha.

AirWarren

« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2019, 03:30:55 pm »

Bo, emboldened by his new position, is now referring to you people as "the morons on Hogville.

Go on pencil neck. Read that on air.

rhames

« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2019, 03:32:32 pm »

Arkansas leadership and GOBN reaks of the “jerruh”, “jimmuh”, “Barruh”, “Frankuh” etc era. Lean way too much on that group of old timers. Hopefully HY will bring some new ideas to this state and progress into a non dated approach.

I hope so, but I think they are leaned on even more now with the hires. Not that is a bad or good thing.

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2019, 03:33:27 pm »

When you program is in the shitter because of the former AD and former Head Coach you don't have a lot of people wanting to come in for a full rebuild. 

rhames

« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2019, 03:34:09 pm »

When you program is in the shitter because of the former AD and former Head Coach you don't have a lot of people wanting to come in for a full rebuild. 

Fair point too.

HogPharmer

« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2019, 03:41:57 pm »

He's about to dislocate his shoulder patting himself on the back.  Jeff Long's Elf on the Shelf

This part made me chuckle

Darren DeLoach (semohawg)

« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2019, 03:49:00 pm »

You prove a few things:You do not know how media or marketing works. You can not separate sports from the rest of the world. You also can not seem to understand that liking someone or having a differing opinion is not tantamount to mutiny.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas