• 10,303,188 Posts
• 408,294 Topics
• 23,335 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bo Mattingly  (Read 15965 times)

Seebs

Re: Bo Mattingly
« Reply #200 on: February 08, 2019, 02:53:14 pm »

Jealousy and ignorance rules this thread. I hope Bo makes a billion bucks and takes over ESPN. Why anyone would want someone else to fail when he has no competing reason is just petty.

You confuse jealousy for disdain.  You see it a different way so it is ignorance. This line of thinking makes you either a millennial and if you are too old for that, early onset dementia.   See how fun painting with a broad brush is?

Personally I think Bo is great and gets a bum rap on these boards. I think his replacement is the worst thing since toenail flavored potato chips.

urkillnmesmalls

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #201 on: February 08, 2019, 02:55:17 pm »

Truth, because it's rarely about the guy fired and whether or not he should have been canned.  It all comes down to the subsequent hire.

There was so much speculation about "what really went on" around that, and we'll never know the real story.  What was always intriguing to me was that it seemed that JL hand picked BB based on believing he was a proven HC at a program that is similar to us in a lot of ways...always the underdog, and has to do more with less talent. 

I'm guessing the "uncommon" discussions about doing things the right way, and him not having ever been mentioned about not running a squeaky clean program at UW, likely made JL think, "Well....after what we just went through, the last thing I'm doing is hiring anyone that I think is going to black my other eye, or the UA's for that matter." 

Then well after the fact...we hear that even dating back to his UW days, he was known to frequent the bars a little more than some would like, and if the rumors are true about his drinking while at the UA, then it sort of makes one wonder if JL just chose to ignore some of what he heard prior to hiring him, or if he was never made prity to it. 

Either way....it all comes down to wins.  I think everyone knew Eddie Sutton as an alcoholic, but he won.  It's charming and insignificant, until you lose.  Then it's irresponsible and significant. 

I'm interested to see what mad hatter does at KU.  I think almsot everyone felt like he rode the talent at LSU, and won despite not being able to coach his way out of a paper bag.  We'll see if he can coach at KU.   ;D

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #202 on: February 08, 2019, 02:56:40 pm »

Truth, because it's rarely about the guy fired and whether or not he should have been canned.  It all comes down to the subsequent hire.

Which is evidenced by the fastest way to get fired as an AD.  Hire a bad CFB coach.  A lot of them...don't even get a second chance at it.   

Mike Irwin

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #203 on: February 08, 2019, 08:19:39 pm »

The word is Derek Ruscin is set to to replace Bo with an afternoon show in NWA and the River Valley. Not sure about LR.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #204 on: February 08, 2019, 09:44:14 pm »

Good for Derek!

wachhog

« Reply #205 on: February 08, 2019, 10:43:03 pm »

And the magnitude of fail in the subsequent hire was amplified by the won-loss  record ofvthe guy who was fired. This is an argument that neither of us ever win. I am just so delighted we never have to hear blubber mouth again and hooe he stays in the NFL forever.

Seebs

« Reply #206 on: February 08, 2019, 11:07:47 pm »

The word is Derek Ruscin is set to to replace Bo with an afternoon show in NWA and the River Valley. Not sure about LR.
That is fina and all Mike, but will you, Clay and Dudley be contributors. That would be essential for success IMO.

King Kong

« Reply #207 on: February 09, 2019, 08:31:04 am »

I was hoping Aaron Peters would get a shot. I thought he was excellent in his guest hosting
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 08:44:56 am by King Kong »

LZH

« Reply #208 on: February 09, 2019, 08:43:43 am »

I was hoping Aaron Peters would get a shot. I thought he was excellent in his guest hostig

What is he doing these days?  I haven't heard anything about him since he had that problem a couple years back.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #209 on: February 09, 2019, 02:33:26 pm »

There was so much speculation about "what really went on" around that, and we'll never know the real story.  What was always intriguing to me was that it seemed that JL hand picked BB based on believing he was a proven HC at a program that is similar to us in a lot of ways...always the underdog, and has to do more with less talent. 

I'm guessing the "uncommon" discussions about doing things the right way, and him not having ever been mentioned about not running a squeaky clean program at UW, likely made JL think, "Well....after what we just went through, the last thing I'm doing is hiring anyone that I think is going to black my other eye, or the UA's for that matter." 

Then well after the fact...we hear that even dating back to his UW days, he was known to frequent the bars a little more than some would like, and if the rumors are true about his drinking while at the UA, then it sort of makes one wonder if JL just chose to ignore some of what he heard prior to hiring him, or if he was never made prity to it. 

Either way....it all comes down to wins.  I think everyone knew Eddie Sutton as an alcoholic, but he won.  It's charming and insignificant, until you lose.  Then it's irresponsible and significant. 

I'm interested to see what mad hatter does at KU.  I think almsot everyone felt like he rode the talent at LSU, and won despite not being able to coach his way out of a paper bag.  We'll see if he can coach at KU.   ;D
This is what Jeff Long does.
I thought he probably felt he was doing a whiz-bang job by getting these 'established' coaches like Bielema, Petrino, and Anderson to come here. After all, doesn't the average fan clamor for a 'proven winner'?
(Never mind that most of the great coaches in UA history were not 'proven' when they came here)

I liked Jeff as a person. His hiring choices were not that great.

He's doing the same thing now. He hired a 'proven' winner in Les Miles. But what does that have to do with Kansas?
First, Kansas is a tough situation---for anybody. But I think we're about to see the Bret Bielema thing play out all over again with Les Miles at Kansas. They'll have some moments where it looks promising but by and large Miles won't accomplish that much. But this is all Jeff knows how to do. He rarely thinks outside the box. This is where I give him credit for Jimmy Dykes; that was outside the box. Jeff was swinging for the fences there, which I like. Hit a homer or strike out. Before someone says Dykes failed, I will say he only got three short years.

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #210 on: February 09, 2019, 09:47:22 pm »

What is he doing these days?  I haven't heard anything about him since he had that problem a couple years back.

Real Estate Mogul in NW Arkansas

Superhog1959

« Reply #211 on: February 10, 2019, 09:37:04 am »

This is what Jeff Long does.
I thought he probably felt he was doing a whiz-bang job by getting these 'established' coaches like Bielema, Petrino, and Anderson to come here. After all, doesn't the average fan clamor for a 'proven winner'?
(Never mind that most of the great coaches in UA history were not 'proven' when they came here)

I liked Jeff as a person. His hiring choices were not that great.

He's doing the same thing now. He hired a 'proven' winner in Les Miles. But what does that have to do with Kansas?
First, Kansas is a tough situation---for anybody. But I think we're about to see the Bret Bielema thing play out all over again with Les Miles at Kansas. They'll have some moments where it looks promising but by and large Miles won't accomplish that much. But this is all Jeff knows how to do. He rarely thinks outside the box. This is where I give him credit for Jimmy Dykes; that was outside the box. Jeff was swinging for the fences there, which I like. Hit a homer or strike out. Before someone says Dykes failed, I will say he only got three short years.
Longs hires are a example of someone who is in charge making decisions with out proper knowledge or doing the needed research and background checks. He appeared capable but was negligent.

Doyle Hograves

« Reply #212 on: February 10, 2019, 10:10:12 am »

Did he get another DWI and fire himself?

Backcountryhog

« Reply #213 on: February 10, 2019, 10:44:53 pm »

Best news I’ve heard in a while. Good riddance. Never have liked the sawed off little smarta$&.

Squishy

• Band Nerd
« Reply #214 on: February 28, 2019, 03:24:01 pm »

I am listening to Bo's show for the first time in a long time, just because it's the last one. I respect the show Bo and his team have put together, but am not sad at all to see it go. Bo's comment today about people around north central Arkansas not having a television is a good example of his pompous attitude toward Arkansas that I will not miss, among other things. I will miss hearing Clay if he is not continuing with any other local show.

My question is, did I hear a commercial indicating that Derek Ruscin will take over Bo's time slot? Please tell me I misheard that.

HogPharmer

« Reply #215 on: February 28, 2019, 03:27:37 pm »

I am listening to Bo's show for the first time in a long time, just because it's the last one. I respect the show Bo and his team have put together, but am not sad at all to see it go. Bo's comment today about people around north central Arkansas not having a television is a good example of his pompous attitude toward Arkansas that I will not miss, among other things. I will miss hearing Clay if he is not continuing with any other local show.

My question is, did I hear a commercial indicating that Derek Ruscin will take over Bo's time slot? Please tell me I misheard that.

Squishy

• Band Nerd
« Reply #216 on: February 28, 2019, 03:30:49 pm »

Thank you HogPharmer.

WxHog

« Reply #217 on: February 28, 2019, 04:37:40 pm »

Derek Ruscin said on his most recent podcast that he is stopping his "Ruscin Is Ranting" Podcast to start a new project in March, which also made me think he was doing a new afternoon show to replace Bo. ESPN Northwest Arkansas is now running a promo about a new show coming March 11th from 3-7pm. The promo features a couple of voices, one sounded like Derek Ruscin and I wasn't able to identify the other.

Razorbackers

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #218 on: February 28, 2019, 04:43:32 pm »

Derek Ruscin will take over Bo's time slot? Please tell me I misheard that.

loooooooooooooooooool

WxHog

« Reply #219 on: February 28, 2019, 06:29:18 pm »

Derek Ruscin said on his most recent podcast that he is stopping his "Ruscin Is Ranting" Podcast to start a new project in March, which also made me think he was doing a new afternoon show to replace Bo. ESPN Northwest Arkansas is now running a promo about a new show coming March 11th from 3-7pm. The promo features a couple of voices, one sounded like Derek Ruscin and I wasn't able to identify the other.

Listening to the promo again, the other voice with Derek Ruscin sounds like Zach Arns. Some of you may remember Zach doing radio with Jon Williams back in the late 90s and early 2000s. More recently, Zach was voice of the Springdale Bulldogs. It sounds like Derek and Zach will take over for Bo's time slot on the ESPN affiliates in north and west Arkansas but KARN-AM 920 out of Little Rock may be doing something different.

Swinelake

« Reply #220 on: February 28, 2019, 08:01:48 pm »

Nothing to do but bring back Game On with Wes Moore & Michael Smith, I guess

hogfan064

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #221 on: February 28, 2019, 09:56:32 pm »

Good luck to Bo.  I get why some didn't like him, but I enjoyed his show.  I really wish Shawn Arnell was back on.  IMO Shawn was the best Arkansas has had

King Kong

« Reply #222 on: March 01, 2019, 06:10:18 am »

Ruscin will make even the biggest Bo show hater beg for him back

FraggleHog

• My name is on Senior Walk
« Reply #223 on: March 01, 2019, 09:05:01 am »

Listening to the promo again, the other voice with Derek Ruscin sounds like Zach Arns. Some of you may remember Zach doing radio with Jon Williams back in the late 90s and early 2000s. More recently, Zach was voice of the Springdale Bulldogs. It sounds like Derek and Zach will take over for Bo's time slot on the ESPN affiliates in north and west Arkansas but KARN-AM 920 out of Little Rock may be doing something different.

Did you catch the name of the show? I thought the promo was very vague... No name introduction or anything

kaiserhog

• Kaiser Willie I, A True Hog Fan
« Reply #224 on: March 01, 2019, 09:21:59 am »

I think this paves the way for the return of Ugly Uncle !!!  I really liked his show when he was on.  If he co-hosted with Twist, it would epic.

twistitup

« Reply #225 on: March 01, 2019, 09:47:15 am »

I think this paves the way for the return of Ugly Uncle !!!  I really liked his show when he was on.  If he co-hosted with Twist, it would epic.

Hey hey hey

Maximus Tusk

• Varsity
  • Surfing the sky at Mt. Magazine
« Reply #226 on: March 01, 2019, 10:10:06 am »

and crap mixed....let's go w Crapathy (Bart is crap and apathy is def. in the mix). At least Bart has accepted the crap role and now appears to flourish in it.

...that says something for his adaptability.
Crapathy!!! Me likey! With your permission, I would like to use it in the Jump Ball forum... ;D

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #227 on: March 01, 2019, 10:13:57 am »

Yep he's the worst, and his taeks are as cold as the weather hitting NWA this weekend.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #228 on: March 01, 2019, 10:15:04 am »

Nothing to do but bring back Game On with Wes Moore & Michael Smith, I guess

I really liked Game On.  Wes is good.  Would have Mike I on often as well.

twistitup

« Reply #229 on: March 01, 2019, 10:18:54 am »

Crapathy!!! Me likey! With your permission, I would like to use it in the Jump Ball forum... ;D

You have my permission...

kaiserhog

• Kaiser Willie I, A True Hog Fan
« Reply #230 on: March 01, 2019, 02:01:47 pm »

SONofHAM

« Reply #231 on: March 01, 2019, 02:53:31 pm »

Real Estate Mogul in NW Arkansas
He is an agent.  Long way to go before becoming a mogul.

Squishy

• Band Nerd
« Reply #232 on: March 01, 2019, 04:54:42 pm »

Get Clay Henry and Grant Hall together all afternoon and that would work for me.  Great knowledge and storytelling.  Mix in Dudley Dawson and Mike Irwin a couple days a week. Just keep Grant and Dudley to limit the Cardinals talk to 5 minutes a day and we are good to go. Yes I know about Press Row- just trying to keep Ruscin out of the afternoon hours. I'll stop beating this dead horse now. Good luck to all.

Sivad

« Reply #233 on: March 01, 2019, 05:24:24 pm »

Derek Ruscin = If Justin Acri had a son.
And that’s no compliment.

AlmaHog2011

« Reply #234 on: March 01, 2019, 09:41:13 pm »

Derek Ruscin = If Justin Acri had a son.
And that’s no compliment.

Won't work with Ruscin. Also I don't know but heard he didn't get along with Tommy Craft who runs the ESPN stating in the river valley.

Swinelake

« Reply #235 on: March 02, 2019, 06:02:50 pm »

I really liked Game On.  Wes is good.  Would have Mike I on often as well.

My favorite Arkansas show, hands down.

Wes is good. And I really really liked the odd couple dynamic he had going with Smith.

twistitup

« Reply #236 on: March 02, 2019, 07:14:05 pm »

Sho Nuff

Rambo Hog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #238 on: March 02, 2019, 09:46:35 pm »

I would pick Game on with Wess Moore his first run as his own show with Michael Smith and Mike Irwin calling for an hour everyday was awesome. Another would be  Jordan Stuckey who had a show with Michael Smith as well  called Stuck with Smitty  and then another show with Dave Barr ,but  after that he completely disappeared  around 2013 . Jordan Stuckey  had the great personality on air  like Pat Bradley and great  knowledge of Razorback  history and new how to mix humor and sports talk without it getting too boring or annoying.The last one and probably the one that could rival if not be  better than Bo Matingly in reaching state wide demand  from listeners not only in Northwest Arkansas  but Central Arkansas as well    Shawn Arnell would of  had the  best radio show .
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 10:01:55 pm by Rambo Hog »

fullfan

« Reply #239 on: March 03, 2019, 08:39:30 am »

^^^^^^
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas