• 10,311,556 Posts
• 408,463 Topics
• 23,339 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Bo Mattingly  (Read 16012 times)

Sourpuss

Re: Bo Mattingly
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2019, 03:51:45 pm »

They could literally put a microphone behind the toilet at Fuji Japanese Steakhouse in Fort Smith and it would be more entertaining.  Way to go Tommy Craft!  Why don't you drown a stray dog on air tomorrow afternoon and see if you can get some listeners back.  As far as turning station, to what?!  The Central Arkansas circus!?  I'm not bedridden.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2019, 04:12:36 pm »

Yes.  What does he do now?
Coaching K-8 at a catholic school in Northern Mississippi

https://www.sheartschool.org/Page/79

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ivanhog

« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2019, 04:16:22 pm »

It was a weird year on both the morning and afternoon shows.  I wonder if there isn't something to losing connections with the program because they seemed to be out of the loop on any news.  Then there was the Alabama trip at the beginning of the season where it was all on Bart.   And that was not good.  Even when there was news to report they often ignored it and talked about something ridiculous.  I think Bo has pretty much phoned it in for the last two years, and the only saving grace was the rare big time interview.  I don't think I'm going to miss them and if I understood the show yesterday Bart and the gang are going with him.

Kelly1961

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2019, 06:16:16 pm »

Well this sucks.  Not only was his the best sports radio show in the state, but it was also the only competition to DTS.

You can't be serious! Bo was the biggest suck up on radio there was! Asking stupid questions from other coaches! Like ANY current head coach is going to say "No Bo, I think he needs to step up and either do a better job or quit." Then, whenever someone would call him out on something he said, he would just say "well,so what? I'm soooooo glad he's gone! I hope his next endeavor completely falls flat. Can't stand Bo Mattingly

jkstock04

« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2019, 06:35:29 pm »

You prove a few things:You do not know how media or marketing works. You can not separate sports from the rest of the world. You also can not seem to understand that liking someone or having a differing opinion is not tantamount to mutiny.
This is rich. Does it take a marketing genius to suspect Houston Nutt may be a polarizing figure (at best) in Razorback history....and listeners of a Razorback call in show may not go for that or hear Bo fawn over his every word like he's a king? Or maybe I just need to go back to school and take a few more marketing classes to figure this one out and I can be a genius like you.

You wanna talk about "proving" something? How about the stuff you were claiming 3 or so years ago in regards to the awesomeness of what and how Bielema was running the program? What does that prove looking back on it today?

You guys on your high horses ought to simmer down and learn to be more humble. We got left with a squad not fit for the Sunbelt but I was the idiot 3 years ago because I couldn't see the brilliance and greatness of what was coming. Seems errant to talk down to me about what I do and don't know when all the stuff you have claimed the past few years went up in smoke.

Ironhawg

« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2019, 06:35:45 pm »

You can't be serious! Bo was the biggest suck up on radio there was! Asking stupid questions from other coaches! Like ANY current head coach is going to say "No Bo, I think he needs to step up and either do a better job or quit." Then, whenever someone would call him out on something he said, he would just say "well,so what? I'm soooooo glad he's gone! I hope his next endeavor completely falls flat. Can't stand Bo Mattingly

I used to really dislike Bo and  his crew, but once I came to understand that most of his comments were intended to stir up controversy and generate callers to his show, I was able to let the hate go.  I still get the feeling that he and Bart and Dudley and Clay generally don't like or respect Arkansas fans, but I just don't care.

Hoggish

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2019, 07:25:42 pm »

I never liked how he acted like the fans were stupid for getting rid of Long and CBB.  People like him telling us we should just sit back and be happy with what we have is the reason we are here today.  Basketball and football both have been on a steady decline because people want to make excuses instead of taking responsibility.

I don't know where you are getting all this.  First, last year Arkansas athletics finished higher in the Director's Cup than any other SEC school thanks to Jeff Long.  He was a good AD despite what many say.  However, after one of the games I remember Bo reporting from the field after the game and saying, "I don't think this can be fixed."  It didn't sound as if he was too terribly supportive of BB.  Just because he made a TV show about the guy and made  himself famous in the process doesn't mean he was opposed to BB being let go.  I just don't see where many get the impression that he though BB should stay.

bondhue

« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2019, 08:21:46 pm »

A good AD would not enable the destruction of the flagship program at the UofA.  It got to the point that I stopped watching Hog football games.  While Borat was still head coach.  He's probably paying NE to be on staff.

Darren DeLoach (semohawg)

« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2019, 10:46:26 pm »

This is rich. Does it take a marketing genius to suspect Houston Nutt may be a polarizing figure (at best) in Razorback history....and listeners of a Razorback call in show may not go for that or hear Bo fawn over his every word like he's a king? Or maybe I just need to go back to school and take a few more marketing classes to figure this one out and I can be a genius like you.

You wanna talk about "proving" something? How about the stuff you were claiming 3 or so years ago in regards to the awesomeness of what and how Bielema was running the program? What does that prove looking back on it today?

You guys on your high horses ought to simmer down and learn to be more humble. We got left with a squad not fit for the Sunbelt but I was the idiot 3 years ago because I couldn't see the brilliance and greatness of what was coming. Seems errant to talk down to me about what I do and don't know when all the stuff you have claimed the past few years went up in smoke.

Yep...I was wrong. It takes a leader with an unwavering eye for detail to win consistently here, and BB let too much slip. Which is why he is fired.

I do think Mattingly's show was easily the best in the state that was Razorback centric. His shows were done relatively well. I really can't stand the caller driven mess, but it worked for them.

rtr

« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2019, 06:48:09 am »

I don't know where you are getting all this.  First, last year Arkansas athletics finished higher in the Director's Cup than any other SEC school thanks to Jeff Long.  He was a good AD despite what many say.  However, after one of the games I remember Bo reporting from the field after the game and saying, "I don't think this can be fixed."  It didn't sound as if he was too terribly supportive of BB.  Just because he made a TV show about the guy and made  himself famous in the process doesn't mean he was opposed to BB being let go.  I just don't see where many get the impression that he though BB should stay.

Really, in the scheme of things the director's cup is meaningless.

Jean-Luc Pigard

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2019, 08:59:25 am »

I've found that Beau spends more time making fun of other coaches, players, fans, etc than actually talking Razorback sports.  I can expect t hear some sort of clip every day and the crew making fun of that person.  It's gotten really tired.

One day they were doing that and someone had complained and Bo was basically saying something to the effect of, "You complain about this, but you still listen to the show anyway, so why would we care about your complaint?"

I stopped listening that day.

The OTR

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Nothing like a good staticky dog.
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2019, 09:03:51 am »

You were probably too busy to notice but him and Bart were having a nervous breakdown the week of and after the Jeff Long firing. According to them the University was out of control and had no idea what they were doing. Everything was just in shambles and people running things were a bunch of idiots. I can't tell you how many times I heard about playoff committees and academic honor rolls. Awesome times.

And c'mon...the being Bret Bielema show? A lot of good that showbiz did us. It was obvious from that point forward there was some sort of personal relationship. The guy still has Houston Nutt come on the show? Really? And I read on here a few weeks back that he had Bielema on the show recently as well. Why? I'm not gonna buy that he doesn't have a personal relationship with these people... especially Bielema.

I would love to watch the Being Bret show again.  Watching him buy cowboy boots in Chicago, watching him talk about serving up lobsters after a win, watching him fish off a dock, and watching him go to the grocery store to buy stuff to make salads was fantastic TV. 

Bo's show is one of those that you love to hate. Personally I'd rather him be on the air than not on the air. He's entertaining if not likable to a good portion of folks from the way it looks here.

He hasn't had much positive to talk about as far as football goes for the last few years.  I'd guess 70% of the show is about Razorback football over the course of the year. I'd guess that would burn out most of us.

feral boar

« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2019, 11:40:06 am »

bo's a business man first and last. when his show was on the first time he was promoting a book that he said gave him direction. not the best book for everyone but a motivational book. then he disappears for a while due to opportunities and that's ok.

some give him flak for his poking the pig but truthfully if he doesn't do some of that its just dts all over again. don't care for his show or arrogance but do understand he's a business man.

there will be someone who fills the spot probably and if hog sports mainly footb and bsktb take an uptick ole bo will see another opportunity and probably return.  its just business 

grant hall is easily the least self promoting of all the shows going on and has access. he just doesn't let it go to his head.

hogfan064

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2019, 12:09:53 pm »

Yes.  What does he do now?

Shawn got injured several years back and had major surgery.  He got out of the business soon after that I believe.  His show was absolutely the best in the state. 

Ironhawg

« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2019, 01:36:55 pm »

grant hall is easily the least self promoting of all the shows going on and has access. he just doesn't let it go to his head.

I like Grant's show.  I used to listen when he was on in the mornings.  I do turn it off sometimes when Vernon gets amped up over something.

urkillnmesmalls

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2019, 03:08:19 pm »

I like Grant's show.  I used to listen when he was on in the mornings.  I do turn it off sometimes when Vernon gets amped up over something.

I was listening to Grant's afternoon show yesterday, and Irwin called in.  It was comical to hear their voices, because you could tell they've known each other for so long...almost like an old married couple.  Grant was talking about the commentators talking about our guards handling the ball well, and Mike sounded like he was disgusted by that.  He was saying they were weak with the ball, made bad decisions, and were doing a miserable job of feeding the ball to our LONE All American and high draft projection player.  Basically...he was saying they suck, in not so many words.  They went back and forth for a minute, and then Grant said he had to go to a break, thanked Mike...and Mike just said.... "See ya."   ;D    He just sounded so disinterested by that point, that the tone of his voice was hilarious. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 03:32:54 pm by urkillnmesmalls »

Sivad

« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2019, 03:17:32 pm »

Bo’s show was the only listenable Razorback sports show on the radio.
Don’t know if it was his connections or hard work, but he consistently had excellent guests that provided both insight and real information.
Now we’re stuck with DTS and their collection of maroons :puke:

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2019, 03:34:50 pm »

Bo’s show was the only listenable Razorback sports show on the radio.
Don’t know if it was his connections or hard work, but he consistently had excellent guests that provided both insight and real information.
Now we’re stuck with DTS and their collection of maroons :puke:

Seriously...I don't know what people have against JB's show in the morning.  I prefer it over Morning Rush, simply because when Nick Mason is on....I cannot listen, and I've tried. 

Afternoon wise...Grant and Vernon from 12-2 is pretty good, but with Bo leaving...our afternoons are going to be ugly.  I'd rather get kicked in the junk than listen to Jim Rome.   :puke: 

Bigfoot

« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2019, 04:31:27 pm »

The homers didn't like him because he told it like it was. It may have been a little crude at times, but it was truthful and highly entertaining. Also, he and Bazzel were great on the air together.

I agree, he and Bazzel were great together. Man, that seems like a long time ago.

Ironhawg

« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2019, 04:46:24 pm »

or Stanley Knox!!!

Who is he?  Never heard of him.

007 License To Squeal

• Global Moderator
  • Fmr USAF Combat Crew Titan II Launch Crew Member
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2019, 05:11:21 pm »

Who is he?  Never heard of him.

Did sports radio in LR years ago.......I think he's in Pittsburgh now.

Ironhawg

« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2019, 05:54:43 pm »

Did sports radio in LR years ago.......I think he's in Pittsburgh now.

Ok.  Thanks.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2019, 06:10:01 pm »

Seriously...I don't know what people have against JB's show in the morning.  I prefer it over Morning Rush, simply because when Nick Mason is on....I cannot listen, and I've tried. 

Afternoon wise...Grant and Vernon from 12-2 is pretty good, but with Bo leaving...our afternoons are going to be ugly.  I'd rather get kicked in the junk than listen to Jim Rome.   :puke:

I'd rather listen to Bertacinni than the morning rush, which is not an endorsement of JB.  His show is not good. darn, half of it is padded by absurdly long music fade ins and fade outs. 

buldozer

« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2019, 06:41:25 pm »

Bo's on air show is completely going away so none of his people will replace it. I figure somebody will step up and handle that slot. Maybe Phil Elson. Somebody with Razorback ties.
Anyone will be an upgrade over Bo and Bart

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2019, 06:57:45 pm »

I'd rather listen to Bertacinni than the morning rush, which is not an endorsement of JB.  His show is not good. darn, half of it is padded by absurdly long music fade ins and fade outs.

I know...a few times, I've thought maybe the station got changed when the start music after commercial lasted over 2 minutes.  I just assumed they were busy, had food in their mouths, or hadn't made it back from the restroom.   ;D

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2019, 06:58:32 pm »

Anyone will be an upgrade over Bo and Bart

Surprised no one has suggested trying to get "Ugly Uncle" to come back and fill that spot.  I'd be perfectly fine with that. 

Hawgphat

« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2019, 07:55:18 pm »

Surprised no one has suggested trying to get "Ugly Uncle" to come back and fill that spot.  I'd be perfectly fine with that.

I would heartily endorse the return of "Ugly Uncle".    :)

rzrbk4life

« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2019, 08:19:26 pm »

I think quite a few would be ok with that

Hog N Bama

« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2019, 09:22:56 pm »

I know...a few times, I've thought maybe the station got changed when the start music after commercial lasted over 2 minutes.  I just assumed they were busy, had food in their mouths, or hadn't made it back from the restroom.   ;D
that was to burn clock

Hogeyeblind

« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2019, 09:34:31 pm »

Bo will soon be a footnote.  And I don't see a podcast being well received.  I wont look for it.  Someone hopefully will field an afternoon show that will include Dudley and Clay. 

Hogeyeblind

« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2019, 09:35:56 pm »

I like Press Row and Grant Hall.  Could do without Vernon.  Maybe he expands to 3 hours.  Always like It when he has Dudley on and on occasion Irwin.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2019, 12:33:59 pm »

You were probably too busy to notice but him and Bart were having a nervous breakdown the week of and after the Jeff Long firing. According to them the University was out of control and had no idea what they were doing. Everything was just in shambles and people running things were a bunch of idiots. I can't tell you how many times I heard about playoff committees and academic honor rolls. Awesome times.

And c'mon...the being Bret Bielema show? A lot of good that showbiz did us. It was obvious from that point forward there was some sort of personal relationship. The guy still has Houston Nutt come on the show? Really? And I read on here a few weeks back that he had Bielema on the show recently as well. Why? I'm not gonna buy that he doesn't have a personal relationship with these people... especially Bielema.
Knowing someone and getting along with them does not mean that you go into a depression if they are fired.

Also Bo was reacting to the chaos that took place after Long was fired. It was a cluster. Nobody knew who was calling the shots. Sort of like when Reagan was shot and Alexander Haig declared, "I'm in charge."

Long was fired because Jimmy Sexton told a high level Arkansas booster that Gus wouldn't even consider taking the Arkansas job if Long were the AD. They wanted Gus. They thought they had Gus and then they didn't. What happens next?

To this day I'm not sure who "they" were.

The whole process of how Yurachek (and eventually Morris) was hired is too involved to get into here but it was extremely disorganized.

That's what Bo and Bart were reacting to.

The bottom line is this: No way did Bo's radio show fall apart because he couldn't deal with Bielema and Long being fired. That claim is straight out of somebody's rear end.

Superhog1959

« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2019, 01:01:30 pm »

Knowing someone and getting along with them does not mean that you go into a depression if they are fired.

Also Bo was reacting to the chaos that took place after Long was fired. It was a cluster. Nobody knew who was calling the shots. Sort of like when Reagan was shot and Alexander Haig declared, "I'm in charge."

Long was fired because Jimmy Sexton told a high level Arkansas booster that Gus wouldn't even consider taking the Arkansas job if Long were the AD. They wanted Gus. They thought they had Gus and then they didn't. What happens next?

To this day I'm not sure who "they" were.

The whole process of how Yurachek (and eventually Morris) was hired is too involved to get into here but it was extremely disorganized.

That's what Bo and Bart were reacting to.

The bottom line is this: No way did Bo's radio show fall apart because he couldn't deal with Bielema and Long being fired. That claim is straight out of somebody's rear end.
So let me try to understand some things. We waited late to hire a new coach, thinking we were going to get Gus. Gus played us, maybe even played a hand in getting JL fired. Then we didn't get Gus. Was there anyone else being considered to take the job after that mess? That's what confused so many. Waited so late, just to hire a 7-5 coach from SMU? It was a head scratcher for sure, then got people to thinking he was the 2nd or 3rd choice.
This reminds me of when Kenny quit. We hired Crowe because there just wasn't any other options, in a realistic timeframe.

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2019, 01:05:42 pm »

The Arkansas sports media always on top of its game, after the fact.

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2019, 02:04:04 pm »

that was to burn clock

Who knew time of possession was an important stat in radio?   ;D   

Hoggish

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2019, 02:12:01 pm »

Really, in the scheme of things the director's cup is meaningless.

Except that it shows the overall state of the athletics programs.  Which was very good. 

Mike Irwin

« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2019, 04:18:46 pm »

So let me try to understand some things. We waited late to hire a new coach, thinking we were going to get Gus. Gus played us, maybe even played a hand in getting JL fired. Then we didn't get Gus. Was there anyone else being considered to take the job after that mess? That's what confused so many. Waited so late, just to hire a 7-5 coach from SMU? It was a head scratcher for sure, then got people to thinking he was the 2nd or 3rd choice.
This reminds me of when Kenny quit. We hired Crowe because there just wasn't any other options, in a realistic timeframe.
Yes it was a cluster. That's what often happens when the guy in charge is fired and several other people think they are each running the show until a replacement is hired.

Superhog1959

« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2019, 04:28:44 pm »

Yes it was a cluster. That's what often happens when the guy in charge is fired and several other people think they are each running the show until a replacement is hired.
Well first, thank you for replying. Kinda what I was thinking, but couldn't be sure. I hope it works out, but history puts doubts on that for me.
I have always liked your reporting. To this day, I still wont watch a certain channel because of how they did you. I don't know what that's worth, but just wanted to let you know.

wachhog

« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2019, 07:05:36 pm »

Thanks. Do you know who was responsible for firing Petrino? No one was accountable, that’s obvious, but who made the decision?
This cluster of clusters all started when Theresa was instructed to send the e-mail to “Dear Mr. Quarterback. “
Hard to recover from a cluster of clusters.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2019, 07:45:13 pm »

Thanks. Do you know who was responsible for firing Petrino? No one was accountable, that’s obvious, but who made the decision?
This cluster of clusters all started when Theresa was instructed to send the e-mail to “Dear Mr. Quarterback. “
Dear Mr. Interception King...

rhames

« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2019, 08:49:58 pm »

Petrino

Mike Irwin

« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2019, 02:14:30 pm »

Jeff Long fired Petrino. After the volleyball player on the motorcycle incident Long tried to get Petrino to sign an amendment to his contract basically saying he would be a family man hence forward. Petrino refused and Long fired him in a message delivered to his house about two hours later.

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2019, 03:06:58 pm »

Jeff Long fired Petrino. After the volleyball player on the motorcycle incident Long tried to get Petrino to sign an amendment to his contract basically saying he would be a family man hence forward. Petrino refused and Long fired him in a message delivered to his house about two hours later.
Therein began the ascension of “Jeff the Integrity King” and the fall of Razorback football.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2019, 04:38:42 pm »

Therein began the ascension of “Jeff the Integrity King” and the fall of Razorback football.

Yeah, it was his fault Petrino refused to become a decent guy.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2019, 04:46:33 pm »

Yeah, it was his fault Petrino refused to become a decent guy.
Well, Petrino did later admit to his friends (yes he has a few friends) that he made a mistake in not signing the amended contract.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2019, 05:09:13 pm »

Well, Petrino did later admit to his friends (yes he has a few friends) that he made a mistake in not signing the amended contract.

I'm not surprised.

Boggles my mind folks here shift the blame on Long when, ya know, it was Petrino who screwed up in the first place, then said no to Long trying to give him a way out.

Dude did what he could but Petrino's arrogance just wouldn't let it happen.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2019, 05:32:55 pm »

I thought there was no offer from Long, per Long.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2019, 02:35:19 pm »

I thought there was no offer from Long, per Long.
Petrino told a close friend in the coaching profession that he screwed up. Long gave him a chance to stay and he didn't take it. According to this friend Petrino said he thought he was bulletproof because he had given the fans the 3rd best program in the SEC behind Alabama and LSU. He figured all he had to do was apologize. He didn't need to sign an amended contract that would restrict his personal life.

I will say that Long did take a risk. Enough fans bought into Long's decision that it didn't hurt him but it could have gone the other way. I think if the average fan had known at the time how far the football program was going to fall and for how long Jeffey would have been toast.

Sivad

« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2019, 02:59:24 pm »

I will say that Long did take a risk. Enough fans bought into Long's decision that it didn't hurt him but it could have gone the other way. I think if the average fan had known at the time how far the football program was going to fall and for how long Jeffey would have been toast.
From a non buyer at the time, I would have put Long in the toaster that day. Still think Long overreacted and was primarily concerned with his own chance to gather up all that public  “Long on Integrity” BS, which he certainly did.

THAWG

« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2019, 06:27:41 pm »

Bring back Mark Bird.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas