• 10,233,200 Posts
• 406,818 Topics
• 23,291 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: QB Starkel?  (Read 19187 times)

Pigcrazy

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: QB Starkel?
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2019, 08:21:09 am »

The problem with FSU is the head coach who may not be there after this season. 

King Kong

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2019, 08:21:31 am »

Better watch out for FSU and Kendal Briles.  They may slip in and sign Starkel.

With FSU's QB situation, Starkel would be a slam dunk to start for his final two years of eligibility.

https://247sports.com/college/florida-state/Article/Kendal-Briles-in-contact-with-Texas-AM-QB-transfer-Nick-Starkel-128887355/

James Blackman is still there. It wouldn’t be a slam dunk. He played well as a RS FR 2 years ago

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

King Kong

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2019, 08:23:19 am »

Duke removes him from the SEC West and he can play a couple years for Cutcliffe.  This will be a tough sale, and I'm not sure the VTech kid isn't a better fit.

If you listen to the podcast. He has already told Va Tech no and Duke stopped contacting him

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GJLdp_LlElg

ArkansasI

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2019, 09:03:43 am »

If you listen to the podcast. He has already told Va Tech no and Duke stopped contacting him

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GJLdp_LlElg

Thanks - I didn't catch the podcast.

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2019, 09:21:55 am »

Does anybody know when he will make a decision?  Hopefully he doesn’t wait until he graduates to do so.  Buechele didn’t.

LZH

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2019, 09:48:20 am »

Does anybody know when he will make a decision?  Hopefully he doesn’t wait until he graduates to do so.  Buechele didn’t.

I would think that if any of these guys pretty well know where they want to play, they need to pull the trigger now.  Rosters are filling up, so if they wait too long they may find themselves standing around without a chair when the music stops.

Pumbaa

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2019, 09:52:30 am »

Has he set any timetable for visits/decision?

King Kong

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2019, 09:53:00 am »

Not currently

East TN HAWG

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2019, 09:54:28 am »

I would think that if any of these guys pretty well know where they want to play, they need to pull the trigger now.  Rosters are filling up, so if they wait too long they may find themselves standing around without a chair when the music stops.

We will probably have a little more turnover after spring practice.  I think it will be the same with most programs, so even if they are full at signing day; there will be openings in May.  If we have three openings now, we could probably sign 4-5 grad transfers and be still be under.  My prediction is that we sign 3, and give walk ons the other two. 

I think with the portal making transfers easier, May will become a third recruiting period.  This time for transfer players. 

LZH

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2019, 10:03:23 am »

We will probably have a little more turnover after spring practice.  I think it will be the same with most programs, so even if they are full at signing day; there will be openings in May.  If we have three openings now, we could probably sign 4-5 grad transfers and be still be under.  My prediction is that we sign 3, and give walk ons the other two. 

I think with the portal making transfers easier, May will become a third recruiting period.  This time for transfer players. 

Makes sense.

mm42

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2019, 11:13:04 am »

Starkel would be a big improvement.  He has legitimate NFL career backup potential.  He has a strong arm and is accurate.  But he is slow, and holds the ball.  He could be very good in the right spot, but would be a waste if the OL is  bad.  FSU has a worse OL than Arkansas, that would seem like a bad spot for him.  But I like him, and he is supposed to be a great kid.  He graduated in 3 years from a very good school academically, so he must be smart.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
  • In Karma Nirvana for all time.
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2019, 11:20:35 am »

I think we get starkel, and soon.  More cryptic tweets from our coaching staff.

https://twitter.com/coachmarksmith/status/1094281498960760838?s=21Yep

HawgFan4lyfe

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2019, 11:26:13 am »

That's what it looks like, and maybe will know something today. 💯
It is really amazing how good our coaches are at recruiting. These guys work endlessly.

navyhog24

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2019, 11:26:17 am »

Even if we have more guys leave after spring practice, we could still only sign 3 grad transfers. However, we could bring in regular transfers that would have to sit out a year as they dont count against your signing class. They only count against the overall 85 roster count.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
  • In Karma Nirvana for all time.
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2019, 11:27:14 am »

Even if we have more guys leave after spring practice, we could still only sign 3 grad transfers. However, we could bring in regular transfers that would have to sit out a year as they dont count against your signing class. They only count against the overall 85 roster count.

Is 3 grad transfers the maximum a team can sign by rule?

navyhog24

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2019, 11:30:07 am »

No thats just how many spots we have available after Signing Day

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2019, 12:09:55 pm »

No thats just how many spots we have available after Signing Day
I thought we had three open now?   If we lose a couple after spring, would that not open up additional spots?  Or would those signees count back to this springs class which we are at the limit?  How does that work? 

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2019, 12:18:48 pm »

I thought we had three open now?   If we lose a couple after spring, would that not open up additional spots?  Or would those signees count back to this springs class which we are at the limit?  How does that work?

The spots we have are only available because we didn’t sign a full class last year.  We signed 21 last year which gave us a max of 29 this year.  We have 26 signed and so 3 spots remain.  No matter how many leave the team we can only sign 29.

In addition to the 25 per class rule is a 85 roster rule.  That rule is effected by players leaving the team.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2019, 01:02:07 pm »

Starkel would be a big improvement.  He has legitimate NFL career backup potential.  He has a strong arm and is accurate.  But he is slow, and holds the ball. He could be very good in the right spot, but would be a waste if the OL is  bad.  FSU has a worse OL than Arkansas, that would seem like a bad spot for him.  But I like him, and he is supposed to be a great kid.  He graduated in 3 years from a very good school academically, so he must be smart.
I disagree with holds the ball. He makes quick decisions and gets the ball out imo. His decision MAKING, however, needs some work.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2019, 01:51:15 pm »

According to the article on Noles 24/7 Starkel is saying he will take his visits in March and making his decision after that. Maybe something has changed, but this was a quote from just yesterday:

https://247sports.com/college/florida-state/Article/Kendal-Briles-in-contact-with-Texas-AM-QB-transfer-Nick-Starkel-128887355/

GA Tech has entered the picture and due to the drastic change in offensive philosophy from Paul Johnson's wishbone type scheme he would have a great chance to start there I would guess.

redeye

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2019, 02:41:00 pm »

Starkel would be a big improvement.  He has legitimate NFL career backup potential.  He has a strong arm and is accurate.  But he is slow, and holds the ball. He could be very good in the right spot, but would be a waste if the OL is  bad.  FSU has a worse OL than Arkansas, that would seem like a bad spot for him.  But I like him, and he is supposed to be a great kid.  He graduated in 3 years from a very good school academically, so he must be smart.

What do you mean by "holds the ball"?  I'm asking because I've seen A&M fans say that he pulls the trigger too quickly and throws interceptions.

mm42

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2019, 02:58:53 pm »

From what I saw, if his first option wasn't available, bad things happened.  He got it out quick if that first option was available.  If not, he seemed to hang on to the ball and then then make bad decisions.  Sometimes it is ok to throw the ball away.  But he was only a RS freshman when he got to play, and reading defenses and decision making are tough for young guys. 

In 2017, he was much better than Mond.  Much better.   I think he only played in half the games, but it seems like I watched him 4 or 5 times.  Those guys are probably right.  Just me 2 cents, which aren't even worth that.

Hawgphat

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2019, 03:38:30 pm »

How does Starkel's all-around consensus skills set stack up against those of the younger QBs we now have on hand?  Is he decidedly head-and-shoulders above every QB we now have, - - with the possible exception of Hicks?  - - Is he considered to be better than Hicks?

How many QBs do we realistically NEED to have on hand? - - - - - That's NOT a complaint; - - I believe it's a legitimate question.

redeye

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2019, 03:41:03 pm »

From what I saw, if his first option wasn't available, bad things happened.  He got it out quick if that first option was available.  If not, he seemed to hang on to the ball and then then make bad decisions.  Sometimes it is ok to throw the ball away.  But he was only a RS freshman when he got to play, and reading defenses and decision making are tough for young guys. 

I see and thanks for the explanation!  I've only watched highlights for Starkel and Hicks, but I noticed a glaring omission from Starkel's highlights.  Hicks seems to be very good with 2nd options, but there were few-to-none 2nd option highlights for Starkel, which supports your claim that bad things happened.  But as you said, Starkel was just a freshman and he was still better than Hicks in other ways.

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
  • We Played Like A Wild Band of Razorbacks!
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2019, 05:18:01 pm »

How does Starkel's all-around consensus skills set stack up against those of the younger QBs we now have on hand?  Is he decidedly head-and-shoulders above every QB we now have, - - with the possible exception of Hicks?  - - Is he considered to be better than Hicks?

How many QBs do we realistically NEED to have on hand? - - - - - That's NOT a complaint; - - I believe it's a legitimate question.

I think Morris, and most coaches, would like to have a QB in each class. Adding Starkel along with Hicks just gives us more options with game experience. I also don't think anyone believes Hyatt will be here past this Spring. We started 3 different QBs on a team that went 2-10, and Hyatt didn't even see the field. Unless he had an undisclosed injury you wouldn't think he's really in the competition at this point.

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2019, 05:21:46 pm »

Starkel would be a big improvement.  He has legitimate NFL career backup potential.  He has a strong arm and is accurate.  But he is slow, and holds the ball.  He could be very good in the right spot, but would be a waste if the OL is  bad.  FSU has a worse OL than Arkansas, that would seem like a bad spot for him.  But I like him, and he is supposed to be a great kid.  He graduated in 3 years from a very good school academically, so he must be smart.

I agree, think he is not THE answer, but more ready for the SEC West than Ben will be.  Ben will learn quickly, IMO, that SEC DBs are a serious upgrade from the AAC folks he gave up 34 INT to.  I believe that number is correct.

Of course one should also be able to recognize that Ben improves our QB room as currently manned.

jgphillips3

• Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2019, 12:23:28 am »

I agree, think he is not THE answer, but more ready for the SEC West than Ben will be.  Ben will learn quickly, IMO, that SEC DBs are a serious upgrade from the AAC folks he gave up 34 INT to.  I believe that number is correct.

Of course one should also be able to recognize that Ben improves our QB room as currently manned.

Those “34 interceptions” should be put into a little context.  He had 15 his first year, 12 his second year and 7 his last year so he has improved.  I could live with 10-12 interceptions this year if he throws for 28-34 TD’s.  As long as he’s solidly above a 2 to 1 ratio, I’ll be fine with it.

HogsOfAnarchy

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2019, 06:57:14 am »

Those “34 interceptions” should be put into a little context.  He had 15 his first year, 12 his second year and 7 his last year so he has improved.  I could live with 10-12 interceptions this year if he throws for 28-34 TD’s.  As long as he’s solidly above a 2 to 1 ratio, I’ll be fine with it.
Yup. Remember the adjustment Brandon Allen made from his junior to senior year?

presidenthog

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2019, 01:11:04 pm »

Yup. Remember the adjustment Brandon Allen made from his junior to senior year?

Senior BA is still the best single season Arkansas QB performance i have ever seen. He was damn near automatic.

King Kong

« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2019, 01:18:20 pm »

Just to put it in perspective that is 44% of all his Ints as a RS/FR where he wasn’t supposed to started until there starter was knocked out for the season in the first game.

In addition his So year He only threw 9ints in the regular season.

Hicks had 3 Ints in the bowl game where SMU literally had a GA calling plays.

Sonny Dykes refused to let Craddock and Stepp coach the for the bowl game.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 02:37:52 pm by King Kong »

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2019, 03:30:20 pm »

Senior BA is still the best single season Arkansas QB performance i have ever seen. He was damn near automatic.
yep. and when I said he'd end up in the NFL when he was a sophomore, i got about 90% hate on here. Called that play, brother.  That dude was ACCURATE af.

Deeznutts

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2019, 08:39:26 pm »

He’s not good at all. Hicks is his daddy.

Dr. Leonard Ford

« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2019, 10:10:04 pm »

How many stars did he have coming out of high school?

King Kong

« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2019, 10:46:09 pm »

How many stars did he have coming out of high school?

3 to 4 depending on the recruiting service. Composite 3

AugustaHog

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2019, 09:52:15 am »

Either Starkel or Hicks is an upgrade over the combination of disaster we saw last year.  4 guys saw time and nobody showed much promise.  The two freshman were thrown to the wolves a bit, so they get a pass.  It will be interesting to see if either of them can challenge Hicks in the spring.  Nothing I saw from last year screamed that they were the QB of the future.  Our staff hunting two grad transfer QBs shows urgency in this dept. as well.  I don't think they'd be looking at Starkel and Jackson who have the two years, if they thought our long term solution was already on campus.  I'm glad they are addressing this aggressively.

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2019, 10:00:33 am »

nah. pretty even honestly

DoctorSusscrofa

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2019, 10:21:44 am »

Either Starkel or Hicks is an upgrade over the combination of disaster we saw last year.  4 guys saw time and nobody showed much promise.  The two freshman were thrown to the wolves a bit, so they get a pass.  It will be interesting to see if either of them can challenge Hicks in the spring.  Nothing I saw from last year screamed that they were the QB of the future.  Our staff hunting two grad transfer QBs shows urgency in this dept. as well.  I don't think they'd be looking at Starkel and Jackson who have the two years, if they thought our long term solution was already on campus.  I'm glad they are addressing this aggressively.

I think the urgency says less about the freshmen than it does about 2-10. The staff can't afford another 2-10, no matter how good they think 2021 will be. They need somebody on the roster NOW that can produce at least 4 or 5 wins NOW.  Even if the freshmen will ultimately be good, they may not be able to produce quickly.  The transfers might be able to produce non-con wins and maybe 1 or 2 conference wins and that strengthens our position in keeping the recruiting up at a decent level.  Another 2-10 would likely have us failing to match this just-signed class.

presidenthog

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2019, 01:12:21 pm »

Ya i asked some A&M guys about him. They told me to ask tate martell.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2019, 09:54:40 pm »

I say we will not get him based on us already getting our starting QB Hicks for this year.  Why would Starkel want to come and battle for number 2 his first year.  Sure he may start his 2nd year which to me would be great but probable not so good for a guy with only 2 years to play to sit one and play one.

Hawgphat

« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2019, 10:11:53 pm »

I say we will not get him based on us already getting our starting QB Hicks for this year.  Why would Starkel want to come and battle for number 2 his first year.  Sure he may start his 2nd year which to me would be great but probable not so good for a guy with only 2 years to play to sit one and play one.

That sounds logical to me.  Starkel undoubtedly want s to play NOW.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2019, 10:18:02 pm »

Ya i asked some A&M guys about him. They told me to ask tate martell.
HC,MD ?

imtad16

« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2019, 10:39:06 pm »

That sounds logical to me.  Starkel undoubtedly want s to play NOW.

He doesn't have any great play now options among schools that have been mentioned. OSU has fields, Arizona has Tate, SMU has Buechele, and FSU has Blackman. So among these schools, where ever he goes, there is a good chance it's either next season or never. Hicks or Blackman are probably his best chance to beat out for a starting job. He is going to be behind the eight ball to both of them too with Hicks having so much familiarity already with the offense and then getting the spring and then Blackman is comfortable in Tallahassee already and then getting the spring with Kendall Briles. If he wants more assurance of playing now he might need to take the group of 5 route.

PermianPig

• Band Nerd
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2019, 03:53:20 pm »

I guess all the Starkel talk has died down?
Will we likely not know anything till after Spring graduation?

presidenthog

« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2019, 04:40:18 pm »

Really??!!?? :(

I mean... the dude does wear bieber shirts under his pads when he plays. He also had another man refer to rearends when talking about him. Its all circular.

TXHog30

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2019, 04:59:38 pm »

I guess all the Starkel talk has died down?
Will we likely not know anything till after Spring graduation?

he commented on Rakeem Boyd's last instagram post saying something along the lines of "future is bright for us brother". This was in the last 36 or so hours.

Boyd's post was a repost of an article saying he could be breakout player in 2019.

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2019, 07:35:27 pm »

May have missed it but is Boyd actively “recruiting” Starkel to Arkansas?

King Kong

« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2019, 08:32:34 pm »

May have missed it but is Boyd actively “recruiting” Starkel to Arkansas?

Yes

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2019, 10:52:59 am »

Starkel is coming in for a visit next month. It’s on.

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2019, 10:59:09 am »

I said in another thread, Blackmon at FSU RS last season so enters the fall of 2019 as a SPH, so he has 3 years to play.

He was the #7 QB coming out of HS and threw for 2,300 yrds as a FR and then RS in 2018.

He's gonna start for the next 3 season barring injury.  FSU is looking for a backup while the Hogs are looking for starters.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas