• 10,569,429 Posts
• 416,062 Topics
• 23,902 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: NFL Commissioner could have saved the Saints  (Read 3611 times)

311Hog

Re: OT: NFL Commissioner could have saved the Saints
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2019, 01:10:37 pm »

Exactly. When mistakes like this are made then usually things are put in motion to make a change of some type to lessen them happening again but won’t change what already happened. A lot of if not all the rules instituted for safety measures are a good example. Humans are generally reactive instead of proactive.

i am honestly not sure some of these guys want the NFL to "review" more. I mean the offense has enjoyed an unquestionable boon from the new "safety" rules, if PI for example is always reviewed i would "guess" that half the PI's called during a season would get overturned, add to that all the "pick plays" that are in vogue would not stand up well to the "instant replay" review. 

Having more reviews, and more refs is really the only plausible solution. So much is happening on the field and everything is so critical.

hoglady

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2019, 01:35:38 pm »

i am honestly not sure some of these guys want the NFL to "review" more. I mean the offense has enjoyed an unquestionable boon from the new "safety" rules, if PI for example is always reviewed i would "guess" that half the PI's called during a season would get overturned, add to that all the "pick plays" that are in vogue would not stand up well to the "instant replay" review. 

Having more reviews, and more refs is really the only plausible solution. So much is happening on the field and everything is so critical.

I forget what show I was watching and I didn't know the guy who said it but I agree with his sentiment.

His take was review/replay was initially meant to correct the most egregious errors. It's kind of gotten away from that where now they are checking frame by frame in slow mo to overturn or uphold truly bang/bang plays that could go either way.
Then there's no way to review an error as egregious as the one involved in the Saints/Rams game.
Doesn't make sense.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hog Fan...DOH!

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2019, 02:23:57 pm »

umm no one looks at this and believes that a PI shouldn't have been called it clearly should have, but anyone that understands football understands that there are MANY such situations through out the game whether it is the first play or the last doesn't matter whats done is done hell that is why you hear " on to the next play" because in football that determines who wins and loses who can "flush the last play" and win the next play.
I mean look at the muff reversal what happened almost immediately after it ? dude threw a pick.  These things have a way or working themselves out. It is basically why you can't go back and "redo a game" or "restart" a game because the circumstances of that moment cannot be "recreated" it is history in cement.

There is no way to know if a PI is called and the player is ejected that NO doesn't botch the snap on the next play resulting in a scoop and score for the Rams. 

That is completely asinine.  I guess a freaking comet could collide with the earth, too.   There were NO other situations like that throughout the game, because this was the END of the game.  This is not an "if and buts" scenario as you describe. 

It's done - no reason to compound the situation by attempting to save the Saints and creating new controversy.

Game's over and I can spend the rest of my life complaining about that no call.

And that's damn right.

311Hog

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2019, 02:29:44 pm »

That is completely asinine.  I guess a freaking comet could collide with the earth, too.   There were NO other situations like that throughout the game, because this was the END of the game.  This is not an "if and buts" scenario as you describe. 

And that's damn right.
every game is FILLED with situations like this, where a call goes this way or that makes a huge impact on the over all out come of the game.  You have NO IDEA what would have happened if the PI was called know why? because a PI wasn't called so anything and everything after that moment is called "reality" and anything else is speculation.  Brees coulda fumbled on the goal line for all you know it is impossible to know what would have happened "if that call was different".

If we are talking about a clear scoring play with a game winning score on the last play was not called right resulting in a clear change of the out come ? that i can see overturning because there are no subsequent plays that follow that, but anything else before the absolute "last play" has an element of chance to it that no one can for certain predict.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2019, 05:49:52 pm »

That’s why I think giving the coaches one no call challenge per half and one in OT is appropriate. That wouldn’t slow it down to much.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas