• 10,314,040 Posts
• 408,532 Topics
• 23,343 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: v Tenner  (Read 1780 times)

flippinhogmana

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
v Tenner
« on: January 17, 2019, 09:26:39 pm »

1/21 - 7:00 PM ET  The game is an away game for us at Knoxville.  You would think us playing Tenner on a Monday night might rate a national broadcast, but Mizzou is also playing SC that night so they get the ESPN broadcast.  The game will be on SEC network.

However leading up to that match up, we had some interesting games in the SEC tonight.  MIzzou beat GA handily to move to 4-1 which is a bit of a surprise to me (not that they beat them, but by how easily they did, 61-35).  Mizzou shot the ball relatively well, GA did not.  GA gave up the most fouls and committed the most TOs and Cunningham dominated.

Bama also beat Tenner (sorry called that too soon that was an end of 3 score) to push their losing skid to four, making us able to extend it to five.  Bama wound up winning by 21. 

As expected Ms State beat SC, but SC showed they are back none the less.

We are capable of beating Auburn, A&M, Kentucky, Tenner and even Mizzou at home.  Against some of them (if not all) we would play our very best forty minutes.   The teams beneath us we should beat if we really come to play.  We are currently tied with A&M for seventh place at 2-2, a game ahead of LSU at 2-3.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 07:31:13 am by flippinhogmana »

psycHOGlogist

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.
Re: v Tenner
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 09:45:09 pm »

Warlick is toast.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

flippinhogmana

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 09:46:47 pm »

Warlick is toast.

imho she should have been a couple of years ago.

ladybackfan

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 10:20:39 pm »

So what do you think we do at home against Alabama?  I wasn’t able to watch them against Tennessee tonight.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 11:02:13 pm »

Bama actually played well, and they attacked the rim on offense very effectively and got a ton of offensive boards. They played a decent zone defense, which completely flummoxed TN, who just could not score from deep. TN also missed about a million layups, so they certainly weren’t helping themselves. The posts form Bama looked good; in other games this year, they have looked downright terrible. Could be a home vs road thing, or just a “which team shows up” kind of thing. We should have a good shot of beating them (though interestingly, they will come in thinking the same thing).

Third game in a row (at least) that TN has basically just been outcoached.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 10:03:38 am »

So what do you think we do at home against Alabama?  I wasn’t able to watch them against Tennessee tonight.
We are at home and have to beat them.  We traditionally play well against Alabama and do match up with them.  I think we beat them by 10+.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 06:03:20 am »

can confirm that it was a slight meninges tear (no surgery required)  - out two-three weeks on Gaulden

2nd thing - there is a rumor going around that Holly Warlick was discharged last night in Knoxville.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 06:06:44 am »

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/neighbors-previews-tennessee-game/

Pretty decent interview.  Covers Gaulden's injury as well as overall.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 06:08:26 am »

BWS

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 05:05:36 pm »

Warlick really hasn't done that bad at Tennessee. She's been to three Elite Eights and has made the tournament for the last seven years. However, one of the toughest things to do in sports is replacing a legend. She's always going to be compared to Pat Summit while shes there.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 09:01:14 am »

Warlick really hasn't done that bad at Tennessee. She's been to three Elite Eights and has made the tournament for the last seven years. However, one of the toughest things to do in sports is replacing a legend. She's always going to be compared to Pat Summit while shes there.
All of that is true but she still is in trouble.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 08:20:33 am »

If you watched any of the SEC women's games yesterday, all the announcers could talk about was the big Missouri @ South Carolina game tonight and the upcoming Tennessee match up with Notre Dame.  Hardly a word about Arkansas against Tennessee tonight.  No respect.  Let's show them tonight girls and make it five losses in a row for Tennessee!  Then Notre Dame can make it six.  It will be tough as it is We Back Pat week.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 11:22:42 am »

this time last year (on this date) we were 12-9 and 2-5 in conference.  13-5 and 2-2 is a good barometer for the overall flight of our season, after tonight will be even better.  GHG!

CandleStick

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 11:25:55 am »

this time last year (on this date) we were 12-9 and 2-5 in conference.  13-5 and 2-2 is a good barometer for the overall flight of our season, after tonight will be even better.  GHG!

I’ve got a good feeling about tonight as well. I hope we’re the ones to stick a fork in Warlick and the Tennessee program for the year.

On another note this is a good RPI game as well. Last night we were at 64. Nebraska beating a ranked Minnesota team helped as we moved up some this morning. Tennessee has a descent RPI as well. Including tonight’s game we’ve got 7 teams on our schedule left who have higher RPI’s. Should be plenty of chances to move up if we take care of the games that we should and potentially win one we shouldn’t on the road.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 11:54:21 am »

I’ve got a good feeling about tonight as well. I hope we’re the ones to stick a fork in Warlick and the Tennessee program for the year.

On another note this is a good RPI game as well. Last night we were at 64. Nebraska beating a ranked Minnesota team helped as we moved up some this morning. Tennessee has a descent RPI as well. Including tonight’s game we’ve got 7 teams on our schedule left who have higher RPI’s. Should be plenty of chances to move up if we take care of the games that we should and potentially win one we shouldn’t on the road.

It would also be nice if Pittsburgh won a game or three in the ACC.... so far, they are taking the bagel.

CandleStick

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 01:55:34 pm »

It would also be nice if Pittsburgh won a game or three in the ACC.... so far, they are taking the bagel.

Right now that's our only bad loss. If we can keep it at one then we should have a great shot at the NCAA Tournament.

I think we're going to see Dungee come out and have a spectacular game tonight. I've got a feeling she's ready to go on a tear.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 05:26:29 pm »

Right now that's our only bad loss. If we can keep it at one then we should have a great shot at the NCAA Tournament.

I think we're going to see Dungee come out and have a spectacular game tonight. I've got a feeling she's ready to go on a tear.

I think it would be more like Tolefree and Mason to pick it up.  Dungee has been carrying us a long time all-ready.  Defenses will key on her, leaving greater opportunity for Alexis and Jalyn.

CandleStick

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 06:26:12 pm »

That was an exciting first quarter. Glad to see Tolefree shoot it well. The 2-3 zone has worked so far. Hopefully Tennessee keeps decoding to shoot from deep. Love seeing this coaching staff adapt to each game and see them as for the single game they are. The game plan worked round one. Now let’s back it up and for round two.

CandleStick

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 06:46:46 pm »

Round 2 goes to the good gals. Hope this carries over to the second half. We got a little tired there towards the end. Not having IT is showing some here.

SugarHillGaHog

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 06:58:25 pm »

These Pat Summitt things always get me in the feels.  Not a UT fan but was a admirer of her.  Worked with a lady for 30 years that retired last year that was a UT fan.  Miss talking basketball with her.  She's probably in the stands.

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 07:31:31 pm »

Choke job in the making. Let’s go hogs

Scott7703

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2019, 07:35:49 pm »

Hard to watch at times because we have zero inside game and monk and tolfree shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot from three. Oh and this is a Tennessee team we should beat.

SugarHillGaHog

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2019, 07:39:31 pm »

Hard to watch at times because we have zero inside game and monk and tolfree shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot from three. Oh and this is a rendered team we should beat.

Not sure I've ever seen rendered used in a basketball thread.  I just think UT stepped up their game both defensively and started making their shots.

Scott7703

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2019, 07:42:36 pm »

Not sure I've ever seen rendered used in a basketball thread.  I just think UT stepped up their game both defensively and started making their shots.

Lol fixed that. They’ve hit more shots for sure but we’ve stopped making any and don’t rebound at all.

SugarHillGaHog

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2019, 07:50:40 pm »

No.. on the floor.  Not happy here

SugarHillGaHog

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2019, 07:51:46 pm »

Awesome!  That's how you fix it

CandleStick

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2019, 07:55:05 pm »

Big big win. Loved the effort. Finding ways to win games!! Love it

Letsroll1200

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2019, 07:55:14 pm »

Big Win

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2019, 07:55:18 pm »

Refs tried to win it for the vols, but the good girls persevered!  WPS

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2019, 07:55:37 pm »

Well, I’ll certainly take THAT dub!  WPS!!!

Lulu Hog

• Hogvillian
  • JD, How bout them HOGS!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2019, 07:57:23 pm »

What a game!  WPS

26.2Hog

• The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2019, 07:59:02 pm »

Great finish, great win at Tenner! 

Our #33 is a player.

BWS

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2019, 07:59:52 pm »

WPS!!! great win.

razCzar

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2019, 08:01:58 pm »

A game that could have slipped away at the end.
BUT this team would not quit!
Exciting WIN!

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2019, 08:04:04 pm »

First time I’ve seen them play.  They are a fun team to watch.  Great win. 

MP24

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2019, 08:06:55 pm »

Nice team win. I think the 5th one possession game, mentally tough.

JackJohnson

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2019, 08:11:32 pm »

This is a program changing win for MN in just his 2nd year.  I don’t care how good or bad they are winning at UT in WBB is always an accomplishment!!

As others have said the inside issues are a concern and every time we hear about a recruit or a transfer it is mainly guard oriented.  We do have to start getting some talented bigs in here sooner rather than later but in the meantime wins like this will help this happen

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2019, 08:19:39 pm »

Lead at the Half and held on to Win!

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2019, 08:19:59 pm »

Speaking of Holly Warlick, looks like "fans" are being a bit rough editing Wikipedia.

Warlick joined Tennessee as assistant basketball coach in 1985. She was given the head coach position, without any search for other more qualified candidates, for the 2012–2013 season although Summitt admitted that Warlick had been "doing the bulk of it" since Summitt's diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease in August 2011.[11] Warlick led the Lady Vols to the SEC 2012–13 regular season title. On March 9, 2014, Warlick coached the Lady Vols to their 17th SEC Tournament Championship by defeating Kentucky 71–70.[12] Since then, the Lady Vols have fallen below being mediocre to one of the worst programs in the SEC.

CandleStick

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2019, 08:21:14 pm »

This is a program changing win for MN in just his 2nd year.  I don’t care how good or bad they are winni fat UT in WBB is always an accomplishment!!

As others have said the inside issues are a concern and every time we hear about a recruit or a transfer it is mainly guard oriented.  We do have to start getting some talented bigs in here sooner rather than later but in the meantime wins like this will help this happen

We’ve got bigger players coming.
2019 a 6’2” post, 6’ wing marquesha davis, 5’11” wing ginger Reece

2020 6’2” post

2021 6’3” post/forward

2022 has an offer out to 6’4” post out of North Little Rock..

Bigger players are coming.

TNhawgfan

• Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2019, 08:25:36 pm »

Love to see the hogs beat the vols in any sport!

HOG FANATIC

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2019, 08:34:34 pm »

Great win!  It hurt us bad when Dungee was on the bench with foul trouble.  Any win against Tennessee is a good win, especially on the road.

JackJohnson

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2019, 08:58:45 pm »

We’ve got bigger players coming.
2019 a 6’2” post, 6’ wing marquesha davis, 5’11” wing ginger Reece

2020 6’2” post

2021 6’3” post/forward

2022 has an offer out to 6’4” post out of North Little Rock..

Bigger players are coming.

Offers and commits/signings are a  different animal

JackJohnson

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2019, 09:02:26 pm »

Speaking of Holly Warlick, looks like "fans" are being a bit rough editing Wikipedia.

Warlick joined Tennessee as assistant basketball coach in 1985. She was given the head coach position, without any search for other more qualified candidates, for the 2012–2013 season although Summitt admitted that Warlick had been "doing the bulk of it" since Summitt's diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease in August 2011.[11] Warlick led the Lady Vols to the SEC 2012–13 regular season title. On March 9, 2014, Warlick coached the Lady Vols to their 17th SEC Tournament Championship by defeating Kentucky 71–70.[12] Since then, the Lady Vols have fallen below being mediocre to one of the worst programs in the SEC.

It’s actually crazy...elite 8, sweet 16, elite 8, elite 8, second round second round would be one of the best coaches ever at Ark.  if MN has that for his next 6 years he would be hailed as a great all time coach here

CandleStick

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2019, 09:17:23 pm »

Offers and commits/signings are a  different animal

2019's are all signed.

Every class after that is all commits outside of the 2022 girl. It's much different in girls than it is boys. Girl's stick to their commitments at a much higher rate than boys do. Way different animal than boys

snf6278

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2019, 09:37:18 pm »

It was tough watching at times tonight because the SEC Network announcers were drooling all over Tenner. I got worried in the forth because I thought we might let this one slip away. Great effort by the Ladies and they showed some grit with a clutch shot by Monk with 3.5 remaining. I really like this team.

MoHog74

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2019, 09:43:06 pm »

Great win tonight. In the post-game interview, CMN was good about giving credit to everyone; assistance coaches, players on the bench, and players on the floor. I believe the future is bright. This was a great hire. And yes, there will be a game along the way that we lose that we shouldn't, but tonight it was sure enjoyable.

We need to have a good crowd there this Thursday.  I know we'll be there calling the hogs.

JackJohnson

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2019, 10:01:33 pm »

2019's are all signed.

Every class after that is all commits outside of the 2022 girl. It's much different in girls than it is boys. Girl's stick to their commitments at a much higher rate than boys do. Way different animal than boys

Totally get that but we need to make sure we are getting talented bigs signed and committed and as of the 2019 signeees we are still lacking ing bigs

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2019, 10:13:48 pm »

It was tough watching at times tonight because the SEC Network announcers were drooling all over Tenner.

I just rewatched the game, and this is really on point. Not a word about the turnaround over the past two years at Arkansas. Just a lot of “Tennessee needs to do this,” and “Tennessee needs to look for that.” A few nice things about Monk or Dungee, but nothing about the program. That’s the Tennessee halo for you with ESPN (including having a UT alum call the game!).

Oh well.

WPS!

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2019, 07:46:18 am »

I just rewatched the game, and this is really on point. Not a word about the turnaround over the past two years at Arkansas. Just a lot of “Tennessee needs to do this,” and “Tennessee needs to look for that.” A few nice things about Monk or Dungee, but nothing about the program. That’s the Tennessee halo for you with ESPN (including having a UT alum call the game!).

Oh well.

WPS!
It drove me nuts when she was showing the new locker room while the game was going on.  I have noticed that announcers - this is all games - talk more about everything but what is going on in the game  You might as well turn off the sound.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas