• 10,306,108 Posts
• 408,350 Topics
• 23,328 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breakdown: Arkansas  (Read 2549 times)

Bruinstyle2001

Breakdown: Arkansas
« on: January 17, 2019, 08:23:56 am »

D1Baseball Breakdown: #16 Arkansas
https://d1baseball.com/analysis/2019top-25-breakdown-no-16-arkansas/ ($ Wall)

Hitting: 60
Power: 65
Speed: 50
Defense: 60
Starting Pitching: 55
Bullpen: 60
Experience/Intangibles: 55

Projected Starting Lineup
C - Zack Plunkett, R-Sr.
1B - Jordan McFarland, Jr.
2B - Trevor Ezell, R-Sr.
3B - Jack Kenley, Jr.
SS - Casey Martin, So.
LF - Christian Franklin, Fr.
CF - Dominic Fletcher, Jr.
RF - Heston Kjerstad, So.
DH - Matt Goodheart, So.

RHP - Isaiah Campbell, R-Jr.
RHP - Kevin Kopps, R-Jr.
LHP - Patrick Wicklander, Fr.
RP - Matt Cronin, Jr.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 02:37:26 pm by Bruinstyle2001 »

hogdollar

Re: D1Baseball Breakdown: Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 08:33:28 am »

The two big surprises to me are Plunkett and Wicklander. Especially Wicklander I think he looked good but Ramage has looked really good as well.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Bruinstyle2001

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 08:41:03 am »

The two big surprises to me are Plunkett and Wicklander. Especially Wicklander I think he looked good but Ramage has looked really good as well.

They seem to keep saying Plunkett (that's what they said in the Fall one as well), but I still see Opitz as having the lead in practices/scrimmages.

The coaches seem to be really high on Wicklander and that seems to be translating into the stories.  The article mentions Ramage as the likely #4 pitcher for starting rotation. 

hogdollar

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 08:48:53 am »

They seem to keep saying Plunkett (that's what they said in the Fall one as well), but I still see Opitz as having the lead in practices/scrimmages.

The coaches seem to be really high on Wicklander and that seems to be translating into the stories.  The article mentions Ramage as the likely #4 pitcher for starting rotation.
From the scrimmages that I saw Opitz definitely seemed to have the lead but I think both could handle the job so it's not to big of a worry.

Wicklander has sounded like and from what I've seen and read he could definitely be the real deal. I've just been thinking Ramage was due to have a big year which could still happen with Kopps coming back he could have a up and down year so we could see Ramage on the weekend then.

bjl

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 09:19:01 am »

i think Ezell is Sr, not So.

Is there any info on C. Franklin here?  I'm not too familiar with him.  Will he be an offensive threat?  good speed?

navyhog24

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 09:20:28 am »

I like Kenley's defense, but if we could somehow find someone just as good defensively with a better bat, that lineup looks potent.

hogdollar

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 09:31:26 am »

I like Kenley's defense, but if we could somehow find someone just as good defensively with a better bat, that lineup looks potent.
I think Nesbit could be a name to watch here. He handled the bat well in the fall but his availability is going to depend on if Ezell is 100% healthy to start the year.

PorkRyan

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 10:22:51 am »

Wicklander was better in the Fall.  Ramage got lit up in the Fall world series.  I am not sure if the pitching rotation starts like D1 says, but I think that is how it will look at the end of the season.  Vermillion could play his way into the rotation as well.   

I will be shocked if Opitz isn't starting somewhere.  I am not sure Ezell will be ready to start in the field game 1. That will force Ezell to DH and Goodheart to 1B or OF.  His bat has to be in the lineup.   

Bruinstyle2001

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 10:32:29 am »

i think Ezell is Sr, not So.

Is there any info on C. Franklin here?  I'm not too familiar with him.  Will he be an offensive threat?  good speed?

Correct on Ezell - that was a miss-key on my part.

The comments on Franklin in the article are that he is a "good athlete," "has very good speed," is "likely to take over in left [field]," and "is a premier defender with huge upside."
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 12:03:50 pm by Bruinstyle2001 »

hogdollar

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 10:43:20 am »

Wicklander was better in the Fall.  Ramage got lit up in the Fall world series.  I am not sure if the pitching rotation starts like D1 says, but I think that is how it will look at the end of the season.  Vermillion could play his way into the rotation as well.   

I will be shocked if Opitz isn't starting somewhere.  I am not sure Ezell will be ready to start in the field game 1. That will force Ezell to DH and Goodheart to 1B or OF.  His bat has to be in the lineup.
Your right Ramage did but he also seemed to look good through out the rest of the fall and in the scrimmage games.

Opitz started the game vs Little Rock at 1st and I thought he looked decent so if Ezell is healthy to where Goodheart can stay at DH then it wouldn't surprise me to see Opitz move to 1st if McFarland gets off to a slow start. I still think Opitz will be the starting catcher however.

Bruinstyle2001

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 10:49:12 am »

Looking at the projected starting lineup, I like that on paper we are not scheduled to lose much for the 2020 season.  This team has a real potential to be a dynamic team for 2020 and 2021 with the addition of the recruiting classes that will be coming in.

ucahogfan

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 01:32:29 pm »

Always like how D1 posts these for their preseason top 25 teams.  I tend to agree with all of their grades except for the team speed.  I feel like that you could almost throw a 60 on it especially considering we have Casey Martin who is one of the fastest players in baseball.  He consistently turns in sub 4 run times down the 1B line from the RH box.

If DVH was going to give him the green light, I think he is a 30 SB guy primarily because he will have a lot of XBHs.  If he wasn't a big time power threat, I would have said 40-50 SBs.

It will be interesting to see how our power does this year.  We do have the best trio in the country to build around with Fletcher, Martin and Kjerstad and those three guys could hit .340+ with 50 HRs and 150+ RBIs.  Goodheart and McFarland could both hit double digit HRs.  I think we hit 70-80 HRs this year as a team.

ucahogfan

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 01:34:04 pm »

Looking at the projected starting lineup, I like that on paper we are not scheduled to lose much for the 2020 season.  This team has a real potential to be a dynamic team for 2020 and 2021 with the addition of the recruiting classes that will be coming in.
We will lose two potential first round picks in Fletcher and Cronin.  Campbell, McFarland and Kostyshock all have the talent to work their way into top 5 round conversation as well.  However, knowing we can build the offense around juniors Kjerstad / Martin / Goodheart / Opitz in 2020 is comforting.

dotnet

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 03:01:33 pm »

Wicklander was better in the Fall.  Ramage got lit up in the Fall world series.   

The way baseball is going, and DVH has always been, I think he would prefer to have the freshman starting and Ramage in the bullpen.  I think he likes to have someone with experience to come in to tight situations instead of a freshman.  (an astin vs fant situation)

Ramage was already playing that role quite well in the CWS.

dotnet

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 03:04:15 pm »

We will lose two potential first round picks in Fletcher and Cronin.  Campbell, McFarland and Kostyshock all have the talent to work their way into top 5 round conversation as well.  However, knowing we can build the offense around juniors Kjerstad / Martin / Goodheart / Opitz in 2020 is comforting.

Between those you mentioned, the current recruiting class that will be freshmen, Ramage, Nesbit, Wicklander, Vermillion, and all of the current freshmen pitchers who will likely develop - Arkansas will probably be returning as much as any team in the country in 2020.

The biggest issue is a current lack of an obvious front line starter.  The two best hopes are a current freshman, Ramage, or Vermillion developing. 

ucahogfan

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 05:20:08 pm »

Between those you mentioned, the current recruiting class that will be freshmen, Ramage, Nesbit, Wicklander, Vermillion, and all of the current freshmen pitchers who will likely develop - Arkansas will probably be returning as much as any team in the country in 2020.

The biggest issue is a current lack of an obvious front line starter.  The two best hopes are a current freshman, Ramage, or Vermillion developing.
Yeah, I think 2020 will be yet another good season (I think 2019 is going to be a great team as well) as we have some truly elite talent returning and some elite talent coming in.

Offensively, every team in the country will be envious of DVH and Thompson having Kjerstad and Martin to build around.  They were two of the top three freshmen hitters in the country last year (along with Torkelson at ASU who hit like 26 HRs).  Add in Goodheart who I think will show out as a hitter this year as well as Opitz, DVH will have veterans he can lean on.  I think Franklin will be a solid LF for us this year and I could easily Nesbit being an everyday player at one point this season.  We will be looking for a new CF and 2B for sure, but the rest of the positions are in flux.  Recruiting wise, we have a couple of highly touted OF recruits in Jason Hodges out of Chicago and Nate Stevens (also a C) out of Wisconsin who could step in right away and provide two more big time power threats.  Also bringing in Cason Tollett out of Little Rock who will probably back up Opitz before stepping in full time in 2021.  I could see our lineup be:

C - Opitz
1B - Goodheart
2B - Nesbit
SS - Martin
3B - Pierce (signee out of Vegas who plays on the Sticks)
LF - Hodges
CF - Franklin
RF - Kjerstad
DH - Stevens

That is three freshmen in the everyday lineup which probably won't happen, but we do have a lot of talent there.

On the mound, I completely agree that we probably won't have that established Friday night guy, but we didn't either coming into 2017 until Knight took over.  What we will have is plenty of solid arms returning.  Vermillion is a mid 90s arm with a good breaking ball who will probably be a key piece in the pen.  Wicklander is more of a pitchability LHP, but could be our returning weekend starter.  Ramage will have two years of experience in SEC play and will be a key arm for us.  Burton is a freshman who can hit 94 who might see some innings this year.  We have a couple of elite in-state pitchers in Blake Adams out of Har Ber and Zach Morris out of Cabot.  Morris could be a potential top 3-5 round pick as a LHP who can hit 93 and has seen a nice velo jump in the last year.

Bruinstyle2001

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 07:33:19 am »

Always like how D1 posts these for their preseason top 25 teams.  I tend to agree with all of their grades except for the team speed.

I definitely agree with this.  I think they are choosing this grade more off the fact that DVH has chosen not to rely on SBs for his offense the last few years rather than best on the team speed we have this year.  I think that running/hit and runs will be a larger part of our offense this year.

What I specifically liked about the potential 2020 lineup is that we could return 5 or arguably 6 everyday players to the lineup.  We will feel some of the losses (Fletcher, Cronin), but could potentially return 1 or 2 starters and several bullpen arms for the 2020 season. 

Bruinstyle2001

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 07:40:17 am »

https://d1baseball.com/season-preview/2019-d1baseball-preseason-all-americans/

We added on some All-American accolades yesterday.  Only Arkansas and Oregon State had multiple players on the first-team All-American team and we also matched Oregon State with 3 in total.  Casey and Heston were 2 of only 3 Sophomores selected to the All-American teams.

First Team
SS - Casey Martin, Arkansas
OF - Heston Kjerstad, Arkansas

Second Team
RP - Matt Cronin, Arkansas

PorkRyan

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 11:19:06 am »

Wicklander has Friday night starter written all over him. 

PorkRyan

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2019, 11:22:46 am »

Yeah, I think 2020 will be yet another good season (I think 2019 is going to be a great team as well) as we have some truly elite talent returning and some elite talent coming in.

Offensively, every team in the country will be envious of DVH and Thompson having Kjerstad and Martin to build around.  They were two of the top three freshmen hitters in the country last year (along with Torkelson at ASU who hit like 26 HRs).  Add in Goodheart who I think will show out as a hitter this year as well as Opitz, DVH will have veterans he can lean on.  I think Franklin will be a solid LF for us this year and I could easily Nesbit being an everyday player at one point this season.  We will be looking for a new CF and 2B for sure, but the rest of the positions are in flux.  Recruiting wise, we have a couple of highly touted OF recruits in Jason Hodges out of Chicago and Nate Stevens (also a C) out of Wisconsin who could step in right away and provide two more big time power threats.  Also bringing in Cason Tollett out of Little Rock who will probably back up Opitz before stepping in full time in 2021.  I could see our lineup be:

C - Opitz
1B - Goodheart
2B - Nesbit
SS - Martin
3B - Pierce (signee out of Vegas who plays on the Sticks)
LF - Hodges
CF - Franklin
RF - Kjerstad
DH - Stevens

That is three freshmen in the everyday lineup which probably won't happen, but we do have a lot of talent there.

On the mound, I completely agree that we probably won't have that established Friday night guy, but we didn't either coming into 2017 until Knight took over.  What we will have is plenty of solid arms returning.  Vermillion is a mid 90s arm with a good breaking ball who will probably be a key piece in the pen.  Wicklander is more of a pitchability LHP, but could be our returning weekend starter.  Ramage will have two years of experience in SEC play and will be a key arm for us.  Burton is a freshman who can hit 94 who might see some innings this year.  We have a couple of elite in-state pitchers in Blake Adams out of Har Ber and Zach Morris out of Cabot.  Morris could be a potential top 3-5 round pick as a LHP who can hit 93 and has seen a nice velo jump in the last year.

Cason Tollett is a kid no one ever talks about.  He was MVP at the PG MLK tournament last season and may have been again if they had won.  Elite defensive catcher who just hits and hits.

Our 3B may be in JUCO this season.  Pierce will probably be a pretty high pick.       

bodycounTT

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2019, 01:25:26 pm »

I usually do a good job following the team and the news on this board, but could anyone tell me what happened to Cole Turney from last years Freshman group? Thought he had major upside and was looking forward to seeing him play this year.

Bruinstyle2001

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2019, 01:34:48 pm »

I usually do a good job following the team and the news on this board, but could anyone tell me what happened to Cole Turney from last years Freshman group? Thought he had major upside and was looking forward to seeing him play this year.

He transferred to a JUCO during the summer.  He never really quite got his swing back last year after surgery and after continued struggles during year and in the summer, it was determined that it was best for him to transfer out and try to get his confidence back where he can play everyday.

bodycounTT

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2019, 01:46:10 pm »

He transferred to a JUCO during the summer.  He never really quite got his swing back last year after surgery and after continued struggles during year and in the summer, it was determined that it was best for him to transfer out and try to get his confidence back where he can play everyday.

I figured that was the case. Sad how some players respond to injury and don't recover quick enough, if ever.

UofA🐗Alumna

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2019, 03:11:00 pm »

I figured that was the case. Sad how some players respond to injury and don't recover quick enough, if ever.
I agree.  Add the fact that 11.7 scholarships kill the chance for coaches to be patient with player development.  College baseball is all about roster management and the ability to persuade good talent to play for little to no scholarship money.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • R_A_Z_O_R_B_A_C_K_S
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 04:31:13 pm »

C - Zack Plunkett, R-Sr.
2B - Trevor Ezell, R-Sr.
3B - Jack Kenley, Jr.
SS - Casey Martin, So.
DH - Matt Goodheart, So.

RHP - Kevin Kopps, R-Jr.
RP - Matt Cronin, Jr.

----------

Sorted by class:
C - Zack Plunkett, R-Sr
2B - Trevor Ezell, R-Sr

3B - Jack Kenley, Jr
CF - Dominic Fletcher, Jr

SS - Casey Martin, So
DH - Matt Goodheart, So.

LF - Christian Franklin, Fr

Pitching:
RHP - Kevin Kopps, R-Jr.

RP - Matt Cronin, Jr.

bulldog04

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2019, 04:59:47 pm »

C - Zack Plunkett, R-Sr.
2B - Trevor Ezell, R-Sr.
3B - Jack Kenley, Jr.
SS - Casey Martin, So.
DH - Matt Goodheart, So.

RHP - Kevin Kopps, R-Jr.
RP - Matt Cronin, Jr.

----------

Sorted by class:
C - Zack Plunkett, R-Sr
2B - Trevor Ezell, R-Sr

3B - Jack Kenley, Jr

SS - Casey Martin, So
DH - Matt Goodheart, So.

Pitching:
RHP - Kevin Kopps, R-Jr.

RP - Matt Cronin, Jr.

put Ramage in Kopps spot and you nailed it

hogdollar

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2019, 05:10:42 pm »

C - Zack Plunkett, R-Sr.
2B - Trevor Ezell, R-Sr.
3B - Jack Kenley, Jr.
SS - Casey Martin, So.
DH - Matt Goodheart, So.

RHP - Kevin Kopps, R-Jr.
RP - Matt Cronin, Jr.

----------

Sorted by class:
C - Zack Plunkett, R-Sr
2B - Trevor Ezell, R-Sr

3B - Jack Kenley, Jr

SS - Casey Martin, So
DH - Matt Goodheart, So.

Pitching:
RHP - Kevin Kopps, R-Jr.

RP - Matt Cronin, Jr.
Ramage instead of Kopps I'm not sure if Kopps will have the stamina to go as a Saturday starter yet. And its sounding like Noland has a pretty good shot at Saturday his scrimmage video looks really good.

ucahogfan

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2019, 07:40:12 pm »

I definitely agree with this.  I think they are choosing this grade more off the fact that DVH has chosen not to rely on SBs for his offense the last few years rather than best on the team speed we have this year.  I think that running/hit and runs will be a larger part of our offense this year.

What I specifically liked about the potential 2020 lineup is that we could return 5 or arguably 6 everyday players to the lineup.  We will feel some of the losses (Fletcher, Cronin), but could potentially return 1 or 2 starters and several bullpen arms for the 2020 season.
Casey Martin routinely runs sub 4 times down the 1B line.  He could steal 2B every single time if he wanted too.  Franklin also has big time speed and Ezell has a lot of career SBs.  It wasn't that long ago that DVH had us over 100 SBs as a team because that was how we needed to manufacture runs.  He didn't want to give up outs last year with the power and we didn't have a ton of burners on the team although we had decent team speed.

Yeah, I could see six everyday players being back and then you will have Boulware at 2B.  I had completely forgotten about him when I posted my lineup earlier on in this thread.  I believe Boulware has signed to play on the Cape this summer which will be huge for us.  If they aren't playing on Team USA, I want our starters playing on the Cape if possible.

Bruinstyle2001

Re: Breakdown: Arkansas
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2019, 02:41:52 pm »

Baseball America 2019 Preseason Top 25 Preview: #18 Arkansas (Free)
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-preseason-top-25-preview-no-18-arkansas/

Path To Omaha: Arkansas will be attempting to avoid a College World Series finals hangover. Only two of the last 10 runners-up have returned to Omaha the following season. The good news for the Razorbacks is that they have some serious star power in Campbell, Cronin, Fletcher, Kjerstad and Martin. That core can help them get back to the CWS if some of the less experienced players can perform in their new roles.

C - Casey Opitz, So.
2B - Trevor Ezell, R-Sr.
3B - Jack Kenley, Jr.
SS - Casey Martin, So.
DH - Matt Goodheart, So.

RHP - Kevin Kopps, R-Jr.