• 10,302,836 Posts
• 408,279 Topics
• 23,335 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Returning O'Linemen, who plays and who doesn't?  (Read 2734 times)

lakecityhog

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Returning O'Linemen, who plays and who doesn't?
« on: January 15, 2019, 11:38:07 am »

68   Kirby Adcock      OL   R-So   6-5   280   
54   Austin Capps     OL   Sr   6-4   311   
66   Ty Clary            OL    Jr   6-4   288
57   Shane Clenin     OL   R-So   6-6   302   
73   Noah Gatlin       OL   R-Fr   6-7   293   
74   Colton Jackson   OL   Sr   6-5   301   
75   Silas Robinson   OL   R-Fr   6-4   304   
78   Dalton Wagner   OL   R-So   6-9   302   
71   Ryan Winkel      OL   R-Fr   6-6   286

67   Tyler Hall          OL   Jr   6-4   295   
64   Audry Horn       OL   R-So   6-2   290

The guys in BOLD are returning starters and the guys underlined played quite a bit last year. I have also adjusted their class standing for the 2019 season. We know that Morris really likes Gatlin and he spoke well of Clenin. Both Capps and Clary played a lot of snaps, obviously Clary played a ton as a starter.

I know that most on the board expect Jackson to move on or be replaced, probably by one of the Juco kids. Most of what I have read says that Cunningham is the most game ready of the two. So, do we pencil him in at LT? Morris is crazy about the length of Nwanna, saying he can scratch his calves standing upright so maybe he is the LT and Cunningham the RT?

My best guess is that the incoming freshmen get the same treatment as Gatlin, 4 games of scattered PT and keep their redshirts. We will be a much better team 3 or 4 years from now if they can redshirt all of them.
Based on that I am projecting a 2-deep O'Line of:

LT               LG              C              RG               RT
      Nwanna          Capps       Clary         Clenin         Cunningham

Gatlin             Winkle     Robinson     Adcock         Jackson/Horn

How many of you think I am crazy? I think we could see a pretty big jump from the middle 3 guys just from having that 1st year under their belts. More time to learn the system, more work with Fry, more work with Carroll in my mind equals better play.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Bring me some DTs!
Re: Returning O'Linemen, who plays and who doesn't?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 12:38:14 pm »

No way next season's starting center is Clary. He may play somewhere, but it won't be starting center.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 01:30:50 pm »

OT Nwanna
OG Capps
OC Robinson
OG Gatlin
OT Cunningham

Those appear to be the best five but not sure how it fleshes out exactly. Gatlin might be able to move inside more easily than Nwanna or Cunningham. Jackson and Clary won't see the field much unless there is an injury. Adcock and Clenin will see it less.

lakecityhog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 04:36:06 pm »

Why do you say that about those 4 kids? I thought that Clary, Clenin and Capps gave good effort when on the field.
Are you thinking that he will play "his" recruits over BB's guys?

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 05:58:33 pm »

Why do you say that about those 4 kids? I thought that Clary, Clenin and Capps gave good effort when on the field.
Are you thinking that he will play "his" recruits over BB's guys?

Ask yourself these things:

1. Which guys did you see play last year that possessed the necessary size, strength and quickness, but didn't have the learned and perfected position technique to make them successful?
2. Which guys did you see play last year that didn't possess the necessary size, strength and quickness, but attempted to play hard and utilized really good positional technique that made them successful?
3. Which guys did you see play last year that had the size, strength and quickness and utilized the perfected positional technique necessary to make them successful last season?

No names, we aren't going to bash any players here...just think about what we saw most of the time last season?

Inconsistency in production and playing as a unit was the theme of the season. Even if you had 3 out of 5 or even 4 out of 5 blocking as they should and executing, one or two guys can miss his block or be out of position and blow the whole thing up. Frustrating for everyone. We actually saw some success at times on the O-Line, but it wasn't sustainable due to the lack of consistency and everyone not being on the same page all of the time.

So who plays and who doesn't? Given the results of last season, along with attitudes that may have played into all of that, I'd suggest that there will be a lot of testing and evaluation (physical, mental and emotional) that is going to take place in the off-season conditioning program that is going to play a huge role in who gets to show how badly they want to be a part of this program during and after the spring.

I'd suggest you'll have an opportunity to better answer your own question after the O-Line passes through the 2019 off season Crucible.

Hogeyeblind

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 06:22:03 pm »

Hopefully Clary and Jackson become permanent human blocking dummies

Poker_hog

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 06:28:54 pm »

Clary was a true sophomore last year.  I wouldn’t write him off yet.

247Hog

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 06:45:27 pm »

I think Clary will be decent next season when he has time to adjust, learn and grow instead of being thrown in the fire.

Colton has the talent and hope he gets his mind into learning the system and buying in. If he doesn't, probably wont see much playing time.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 05:46:01 pm by 247Hog »

lasthog

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 07:21:55 pm »

I think Clary will be decent next season when he has time to adjust, learn and grow instead of being thrown in the fire.

Colton has the talent and hope he gets his mind into learning the system and buying if. If he doesn't, probably wont see much playing time.

The guy is a real talent. Let's hope he uses this ability to its full extent, thus benefitting the team and, ultimately himself.

It would seem to me that after seeing the results from last season, all the returning players would want to be brothers in arms the season ahead.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:53:49 pm by lasthog »

lakecityhog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 07:56:19 pm »

I literally hate people who seem to live for the opportunity to dump on kids.

LumberBacks

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 08:16:44 pm »

OT Nwanna
OG Capps
OC Robinson
OG Gatlin
OT Cunningham

Those appear to be the best five but not sure how it fleshes out exactly. Gatlin might be able to move inside more easily than Nwanna or Cunningham. Jackson and Clary won't see the field much unless there is an injury. Adcock and Clenin will see it less.
Not sure how you stick Robinson in there.  We've not seen him yet.  Came from a very small school and was a low 3 star.  Not to say he might surprise, but I'm not sure he starts this year.  Clary is still a project, tho.   Whoever lines up at center is going to take their lumps.

RaisinHog

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 08:46:46 pm »

I think LT Cunningham LG caps center Clary RG Jackson RTNwanna

jgphillips3

• Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 09:07:08 pm »

Right now, my way too early projection would be:

RT: Nwanna
RG: Clary/Clenin
C: Robinson/Clary
LG: Gatlin
LT: Cunningham

I think we want someone other than Clary at Center but I can’t completely write him out of there just yet.  I wouldn’t be shocked to see Capps make 1st string if he progresses.  I could also see Jackson battling Nwanna for RT if Nwanna is too raw at the position.

LRrazorback

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 09:36:29 pm »

Please, for the love of all things good, no clary at center

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 09:39:16 pm »

I think LT Cunningham LG caps center Clary RG Jackson RTNwanna
Yep. Just bc Jackson forgot the snap count once doesn’t mean he isn’t one of our best blockers.

RaisinHog

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 10:10:00 pm »

Yep. Just bc Jackson forgot the snap count once doesn’t mean he isn’t one of our best blockers.

Not only that .. but he missed a ton of time with back injury .. I just have doubts that 3 year starter isn't in the starting 5 if healthy

RaisinHog

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 10:12:27 pm »

This Robinson love baffles me .. he hasn't played a down of college football an we stole him from SMU... Clary has started several games..

lakecityhog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 06:50:43 am »

The "2nd team syndrome" has now reached the O'Line. The unknown is always better than what you have!

I won't be surprised to see Cunningham at LT, I have also read that Nwanna is pretty raw and needs some development.

HenduHog

• Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 10:15:55 am »

68   Kirby Adcock      OL   R-So   6-5   280   
54   Austin Capps     OL   Sr   6-4   311   
66   Ty Clary            OL    Jr   6-4   288
57   Shane Clenin     OL   R-So   6-6   302   
73   Noah Gatlin       OL   R-Fr   6-7   293   
74   Colton Jackson   OL   Sr   6-5   301   
75   Silas Robinson   OL   R-Fr   6-4   304   
78   Dalton Wagner   OL   R-So   6-9   302   
71   Ryan Winkel      OL   R-Fr   6-6   286

67   Tyler Hall          OL   Jr   6-4   295   
64   Audry Horn       OL   R-So   6-2   290

The guys in BOLD are returning starters and the guys underlined played quite a bit last year. I have also adjusted their class standing for the 2019 season. We know that Morris really likes Gatlin and he spoke well of Clenin. Both Capps and Clary played a lot of snaps, obviously Clary played a ton as a starter.

I know that most on the board expect Jackson to move on or be replaced, probably by one of the Juco kids. Most of what I have read says that Cunningham is the most game ready of the two. So, do we pencil him in at LT? Morris is crazy about the length of Nwanna, saying he can scratch his calves standing upright so maybe he is the LT and Cunningham the RT?

My best guess is that the incoming freshmen get the same treatment as Gatlin, 4 games of scattered PT and keep their redshirts. We will be a much better team 3 or 4 years from now if they can redshirt all of them.
Based on that I am projecting a 2-deep O'Line of:

LT               LG              C              RG               RT
      Nwanna          Capps       Clary         Clenin         Cunningham

Gatlin             Winkle     Robinson     Adcock         Jackson/Horn

How many of you think I am crazy? I think we could see a pretty big jump from the middle 3 guys just from having that 1st year under their belts. More time to learn the system, more work with Fry, more work with Carroll in my mind equals better play.

I think you're crazy, but it has nothing to do with this excellent OP.  lol

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 10:33:30 am »

Man, we need this group to have a breakout season next year in the worst way. The shortest ticket to getting where we want to be is to have the Offensive Line deliver for our QB and running backs.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 11:09:27 am »

My optimism on Robinson is more an indictment of Clary. He had full opportunity to own the position and be our guy going forward. It should be telling that we signed another OL who projects as a center...along with the RS FR in the pipeline.

Blocking, blitz analysis, scheme calling...that can be taught. But, by this point he should be able to snap. He can't. Maybe back to OG, but not at OC short of someone failing miserably.

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 03:10:23 pm »

He needed to RS first year, but stupid Bret threw him in there and had his STARTING from Day 1 as a blueshirt trues freshman smh...

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 05:16:42 pm »

He needed to RS first year, but stupid Bret threw him in there and had his STARTING from Day 1 as a blueshirt trues freshman smh...

That has zero to do with a players inability to be able to snap and step in a timely fashion to execute his responsibility. Not everyone can do that. It really does take a very talented young man to play Center, make line/blocking calls, recognize potential stunts/games and call those out, make a quick and accurate snap and be able to pull/reach/post, etc and carry out their blocking responsibilities without losing his grip on the ball and rolling it back or snapping left, right or over the head of the QB. Even really great OG's/OT's might not be able to execute at Center.

That said, maybe Clary can play OG and I think I can recall having seen him play decently at that spot in the past. But as a Center, it just seems to be more than he can adapt himself to and last season he was woefully overwhelmed at times even if he made a good snap.

ortime

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 05:34:19 pm »

Three important things required of the center. He's got to be smart to make the calls, his snaps need to be money and he can't get blown up. When the middle goes there is no pocket. We didn't have 2/3 last year.

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 05:53:50 pm »

My optimism on Robinson is more an indictment of Clary. He had full opportunity to own the position and be our guy going forward. It should be telling that we signed another OL who projects as a center...along with the RS FR in the pipeline.

Blocking, blitz analysis, scheme calling...that can be taught. But, by this point he should be able to snap. He can't. Maybe back to OG, but not at OC short of someone failing miserably.

It's college football.  You should be recruiting every position, every year, right? 

I think what's more telling is that the staff didn't go out and sign a JUCO center.  That means they think someone can actually play there next year.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2019, 07:19:21 pm »

No way next season's starting center is Clary. He may play somewhere, but it won't be starting center.

He's had a long time to work on it...

Hogmatic

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2019, 07:48:37 am »

That has zero to do with a players inability to be able to snap and step in a timely fashion to execute his responsibility. Not everyone can do that. It really does take a very talented young man to play Center, make line/blocking calls, recognize potential stunts/games and call those out, make a quick and accurate snap and be able to pull/reach/post, etc and carry out their blocking responsibilities without losing his grip on the ball and rolling it back or snapping left, right or over the head of the QB. Even really great OG's/OT's might not be able to execute at Center.

That said, maybe Clary can play OG and I think I can recall having seen him play decently at that spot in the past. But as a Center, it just seems to be more than he can adapt himself to and last season he was woefully overwhelmed at times even if he made a good snap.

Clary can be a good guard and backup center but that won't happen unless Robinson fails to seize the opportunity.   We all have to hope Robinson can do it well.

oldhog63

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2019, 11:24:43 am »

Please, for the love of all things good, no clary at center

I doubt if any of you guys on this thread have ever played center, much less at the college level. Not only was Clary learning a new offense (at multiple positions), but playing center for the first time. It is the most difficult position on the OL. Give the young man a break!

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2019, 12:15:11 pm »

He's had a long time to work on it...

I understand that. I fully understand that the staff had no choices really at center, and Froholdt as well was trying to learn it on the run too, thanks to a retirement of one kid and simply the previous staff not recruiting and/or developing centers. No question it's the hardest position in the line, well beyond just getting the ball back to the quarterback consistently. I have no doubts he did the best he could. All that said, this staff just has to come up with a quality SEC center for next season.

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2019, 12:15:44 pm »

8)
I doubt if any of you guys on this thread have ever played center, much less at the college level. Not only was Clary learning a new offense (at multiple positions), but playing center for the first time. It is the most difficult position on the OL. Give the young man a break!

These players have been given slack and break after break under old regime. This is why Arkansas football is at an all-time low. No more breaks. Get it together, or find somewhere else.

bigmac3378

• Band Nerd
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2019, 12:16:51 pm »

I played LT all throughout my high school career. I practiced deep-snapping outside of practice, as my neighbor was our punter. We had two centers get injured so I moved to Center for a few games and it was the most nerve-racking experience I had in football. So when Clary was put there I was impressed that he handled it, though not always successful. I couldn't wait to get back to my natural position. He definitely got a pass from this fan.

oldhog63

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2019, 01:47:55 pm »

8)
These players have been given slack and break after break under old regime. This is why Arkansas football is at an all-time low. No more breaks. Get it together, or find somewhere else.
Given slack and asking someone to play a position they have never played before are two very different things. I am just as frustrated as you about the state of the program, but if you want to blame issues at center, don't blame it on the guy that stepped up to play out of position. Blame it on the previous regime for not keeping the roster correctly stocked.

lakecityhog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2019, 06:06:45 pm »

Old, you are wasting your time! Clary should have come in and made shotgun snaps right on the money from day 1, he should KNOW the proper blocking calls and how to make that first step quickly and in the right direction from birth!

Never mind that ALL of the other O'Linemen were adjusting to the new scheme too, never mind that he was playing a totally new position, never mind that he SEC D'Linemen across from him trying to knock his head off EVERY play.

Man, it is so EASY to sit your fat ass on a couch and make such a judgement on a kid! It must really be easy when you have NEVER done it yourself.

I played ball in Jr High and High School and sometimes I get that "the older I get, the better I was" syndrome and then reality sets in and I remember the truth. I was a pretty decent HS player on a pretty decent SMALL Arkansas High School. I had some decent HS players knock the crap out of me a few times, but I cannot fathom how much difference it would be to be hit by an LSU or Alabama NFL ready D'Lineman!

I seriously doubt that many on this board know one dammned thing about what Clary went thru last season!

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2019, 07:33:15 pm »

Old, you are wasting your time! Clary should have come in and made shotgun snaps right on the money from day 1, he should KNOW the proper blocking calls and how to make that first step quickly and in the right direction from birth!

Never mind that ALL of the other O'Linemen were adjusting to the new scheme too, never mind that he was playing a totally new position, never mind that he SEC D'Linemen across from him trying to knock his head off EVERY play.

Man, it is so EASY to sit your fat ass on a couch and make such a judgement on a kid! It must really be easy when you have NEVER done it yourself.

I played ball in Jr High and High School and sometimes I get that "the older I get, the better I was" syndrome and then reality sets in and I remember the truth. I was a pretty decent HS player on a pretty decent SMALL Arkansas High School. I had some decent HS players knock the crap out of me a few times, but I cannot fathom how much difference it would be to be hit by an LSU or Alabama NFL ready D'Lineman!

I seriously doubt that many on this board know one dammned thing about what Clary went thru last season!

It's really funny. A question is posed and when you don't get the answer that you want to hear, everyone else is full of crap and overly judgemental.

Clary is not a bad OG. He has a lot of potential in that position as he develops. 

RaisinHog

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2019, 07:48:26 pm »

People also forget that he kinda just got thrown too center in fall camp after Hayes and a few others either got hurt or what not

lakecityhog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2019, 07:53:53 pm »

It's really funny. A question is posed and when you don't get the answer that you want to hear, everyone else is full of crap and overly judgemental.

Clary is not a bad OG. He has a lot of potential in that position as he develops. 

What answer did I want? To hear that a kid that has played his guts out should relegated to becoming a "tackling dummy"???
Muskee, most of the time you have some pretty good takes, but if you agree with that kind of crap you are much less of a man than I ever thought!

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2019, 08:31:36 pm »

>:(
C’mon, man...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas