• 10,306,515 Posts
• 408,355 Topics
• 23,331 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grad Transfer- Will this become a staple throughout the game?  (Read 1043 times)

mj4president

It seems more and more, teams are filling their QB hole with backups at power schools. I think it's here to stay.

Will this lead way to hurting recruiting of QB's who think they will land early PT due to a transfer?

Pudgepork

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Horse Racings most unlikely champ
Re: Grad Transfer- Will this become a staple throughout the game?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 08:34:00 am »

Yes, and it's another sad change that mostly let's large egos rule.

Example, Fields.  OU has 2 back to back Heisman winners.  Transfers become the norm and the backroom deals will be in play allowing the rich to get richer

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

LAHogfan123

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 08:40:28 am »

Free agency has hit College Football.

FiveIronFrenzy

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 08:42:59 am »

Example, Fields.  OU has 2 back to back Heisman winners.  Transfers become the norm and the backroom deals will be in play allowing the rich to get richer

Counterpoint:  Highly Rated and quality QBs (KB / Hurts/ etc.) who were bested by even better QBs (Lawrence / Tua / etc) will be finding new homes rather than rotting on the bench. This gives lower schools a chance to upgrade.  As much as I hate the phrase - I think this is a natural distribution of wealth vs rich getting richer.

mj4president

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 08:47:47 am »

Counterpoint:  Highly Rated and quality QBs (KB / Hurts/ etc.) who were bested by even better QBs (Lawrence / Tua / etc) will be finding new homes rather than rotting on the bench. This gives lower schools a chance to upgrade.  As much as I hate the phrase - I think this is a natural distribution of wealth vs rich getting richer.

Good point

Pudgepork

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 08:59:38 am »

True but it is usually a 1 and done deal.  Lessens the need for coaches to actually developed who they've recruited

hoggusamoungus

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 09:41:54 am »

Already has.

Superhog1959

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 10:23:44 am »

I don't think its good for the game as a whole. But it does help teams and players that find themselves in difficult situations. There is a bad effect and some good. In the end, you guys are probably right. Rich get richer.

havok

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 10:31:51 am »

The way things are going.. teams Like Oklahoma, might as well not bother putting an emphasis on Recruiting High School QB's.  with their track record, they can "Select" a grad transfer as needed.

greenEGnHAWGS

• Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 10:34:42 am »

Nothing wrong with this imo. As mentioned before, it distributes elite talent AND will probably help these individuals in the long-run considering they are graduating from college to reach this point.

hogmolar

• Senior
  • Hard to soar like an eagle when you hang out with
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 10:35:55 am »

True but it is usually a 1 and done deal.  Lessens the need for coaches to actually developed who they've recruited
I think you will see coaches who develop players stay with that trend and only use the grad transfer QB in a time of need to prevent a down year.  Howeve,r on the flip side you will see coaches who feast off the grad transfers and become known for that.  (Think of Mizzou basketball the years after MA, or the one and done coaches like UK). 

The toughest part may be that the top end players may say I will commit to the big boys and give it a shot to win the job while playing in 4 games in year 1 knowing they can transfer with a redshirt if not.  This is where it will be difficult for the less fortunate schools on the recruiting end. 

The Hawgman

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 10:36:31 am »

Totally agree
This keeps Bama etc from stockpiling just to keep good players from the competition

Youngsta71701

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • There's a God somewhere.
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 11:50:11 am »

It seems more and more, teams are filling their QB hole with backups at power schools. I think it's here to stay.

Will this lead way to hurting recruiting of QB's who think they will land early PT due to a transfer?
For quarterbacks yes.

phadedhawg

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 11:57:11 am »

If a student athlete, is on campus long enough to get a degree and would like to see the field during the last of their eligibility I'm all for it.  Aside from the distribution of talent, it's a great reward for the kids who take care of their business in the classroom. 

scooby21322

• Varsity
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 12:13:46 pm »

Why does it take a large ego?  I don't understand why a kid who is blocked shouldn't be able to find an opportunity elsewhere.  How many of us start at one company and spend our whole career there?  Very few.  We all stay where we are until we've exhausted what we can do there, and then move to a better opportunity.  This is how the world works. 

Paul

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 12:26:23 pm »

For a lower tier(yes I said it) P5 program like ours it may help us more than hurt us:  our starters may be less likely to transfer to bigger programs for fear of competition &  nonstarters on those teams will likely think they will have less competition here.

hawgtime

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 01:33:03 pm »

across the board.  teams will have to simplify playbooks because more and more athletes are going to jump for playing time.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 01:40:50 pm »

For a lower tier(yes I said it) P5 program like ours it may help us more than hurt us:  our starters may be less likely to transfer to bigger programs for fear of competition &  nonstarters on those teams will likely think they will have less competition here.

Once we start winning again, hopefully, I think this rule will be good for Arkansas.  We are in as you mentioned, the lower tier of P-5 schools, but with us being in the SEC if we can start competing and winning at a decent clip, some of these quad transfers that would never even look at us this year would probably be more willing to come here knowing we present a valid option for them to compete and win some big ballgames.

hawgtime

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 01:57:24 pm »

gone are the days where a grad transfer has a year to learn the playbook. 

Pudgepork

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 04:00:33 pm »

Why does it take a large ego?  I don't understand why a kid who is blocked shouldn't be able to find an opportunity elsewhere.  How many of us start at one company and spend our whole career there?  Very few.  We all stay where we are until we've exhausted what we can do there, and then move to a better opportunity.  This is how the world works.

I think it teaches them to take the easier way out instead of working harder to win back the position or win the position.  Except in the case of coaching or style change. 
Another example of a participation trophy culture.

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 04:24:30 pm »

I think it teaches them to take the easier way out instead of working harder to win back the position or win the position.  Except in the case of coaching or style change. 

Except that these are mostly 21-22 year olds who earned a degree in 3 or 4 years while playing college football.  That means they're in masters classes and STILL playing college football.   

I think the grad transfer deal is totally different than the bball transfers like Jordan Phillips or Darius Hall-- and I think your point better applies.  Those kids are just looking for another AAU program.

I do think OU gets burned if they keep ignoring the "farm system"-their own grown recruits.  Why would a high school kid go there at this point?

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 04:31:39 pm »

What changed that made this a major deal now?  Haven't grads always been able to transfer?  Is it easier now?

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 04:47:51 pm »

Already has.

This. Leave it to Beaver gave way to All in the family which gave way to Seinfeld, Married with children etc which gave way to "reality TV" and 2 and a half men.

You can wish for the return of Leave it to Beaver and The Andy Griffith Show all you want, but they are not coming back except on TV Land and in syndication.

Without giving players more freedom to transfer there would have been a massive law suit at some point. Might still be, but this lessens the chances or staves it off for awhile..

The days of million dollar coaches leaving on a whim while players are stuck having to jump thru hoops to go elsewhere even after a coaching change, recruiting scandal etc are gone and they're not coming back.

IMO it's better this way. The old fogeys said free agency would be the end of pro sports and their popularity has kept going up since then. Eddie Sutton said the shot clock and 3 point shot would ruin college basketball. The opposite has happened.

scooby21322

• Varsity
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 09:13:35 am »

I think this must be a generational thing. You must be older, yes? 

It doesn't teach them "to take the easier way out."  These kids are leaving a situation where they are not wanted and moving to a situation where they are wanted.  It's this way in the real world too.  In one workplace, your skills may not line up with the needs of the company.  But at another company, your skills may be exactly what they need.  And, in life, sometimes someone who is just better than you will take your spot.  Does that mean you should toil your life away watching someone else do your job?  No, go make something of yourself where you're wanted. 

Translated into football terms, Ryan Mallett's skills did not fit Rich Rodriguez' scheme, but were perfect for Petrino's.  If he had stuck around at Michigan, he certainly would've never made it to the NFL.

hog of steele

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 09:18:31 am »

This is nothing but good for the athletes. Every year they can be cut from the team. They have no security. So when a team offers them a job they don't want (back up QB who will never get meaningful PT) they have a right to turn it down. Why should they sit the bench at one school when they can play elsewhere?

There is another benefit to this. It encourages kids to pass classes and graduate in 3 years. If you want to take this option, you have to graduate first. All these transfers are going to be taking master's level courses. That is good for their future.

mj4president

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2019, 12:11:23 pm »

It's also good for the social aspect as they get to mix it up with other folks.

PolishPigPower

• As useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller...
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2019, 12:21:58 pm »

I think the Grad Transfer already is a staple of the game and will continue to grow.  I also think it's right and good, because if the student-athlete has taken care of the "student" part of this, then he/she should be free to pursue the "athlete" part elsewhere.

I also think the general transfer is going to explode even more than we saw this year.  As long as players aren't receiving a worthwhile stipend, then players are going to move around.  They're all essentially free agents now if they want to be, and if it is good enough for the players and administrations, then it should be good enough for the players, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas