• 10,306,108 Posts
• 408,350 Topics
• 23,328 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connor Noland  (Read 5318 times)

hogdollar

Connor Noland
« on: January 14, 2019, 02:23:41 pm »

Since Ben Hicks announced hes coming to Fayetteville I wonder if this will cause Noland to focus more on baseball rather than football. I would think it does since Hicks will almost assuredly be the starter next year and KJ waiting in wings one would think he has brighter future on the mound instead of under center.

navyhog24

Re: Connor Noland
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 02:31:45 pm »

Noland will not miss any Spring Ball football-wise according to DVH. Noland may appear as a reliever in mid-week and early non-conference games. That's about it I'd assume.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

PorkRyan

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 03:07:18 pm »

Noland will not miss any Spring Ball football-wise according to DVH. Noland may appear as a reliever in mid-week and early non-conference games. That's about it I'd assume.

agreed.  I'd put his +/- at 10 innings pitched for the year. 

hogdollar

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 03:19:50 pm »

This season I would agree that we wont see much of him. I guess I was looking more towards next year and the year after if he was to get beat out by KJ.

Pudgepork

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 01:08:11 pm »

Noland would have to be really impressive before the coaches start limiting his time in the other sport.
Myself, I'd love to see him become the strike throwing machine that shuts down sec teams on every Sunday game.  Not expecting that from a frosh, but ya never know..................

yraciv

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 02:52:39 pm »

Too early to tell how it will play out. He was a 4 star QB coming out of HS and damn good/well rated baseball player as well. I think there are expectations in both sports that he can develop into a good player.  I don't think he will contribute that much this year, while he still focuses on spring ball, but who is to say.

I think you are guilty along with others of the KJ hype, and just didn't see enough out of Connor as a True FR QB to assume that he won't be a starting QB here.  I on the other hand am going to assume Connor will be playing college football until a younger QB beats him out on the depth chart. That may be KJ next year, maybe in two years, but starting a game & getting good reps as a true FR on the football field is good experience. Hicks likely beats him out next season, but who knows if Hicks gets hurt and he sets the world on fire after what will happen with baseball. Its just way too early to tell.

PorkRyan

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 04:18:46 pm »

Noland would have to be really impressive before the coaches start limiting his time in the other sport.
Myself, I'd love to see him become the strike throwing machine that shuts down sec teams on every Sunday game.  Not expecting that from a frosh, but ya never know..................

My guess is that there will be some opportunities early due to everyone being on low pitch counts.  He will have a small window to impress.  He was a strike throwing machine in high school, but the SEC zone is usually a lot smaller.

bulldog04

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 05:34:11 pm »

My guess is that there will be some opportunities early due to everyone being on low pitch counts.  He will have a small window to impress.  He was a strike throwing machine in high school, but the SEC zone is usually a lot smaller.
His control is what will give him a chance to pitch this year. DVH work tolerate pitchers that don’t throw strikes

BroyledNutts

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 10:45:08 pm »

His control is what will give him a chance to pitch this year. DVH work tolerate pitchers that don’t throw strikes

This year in particular I don't think he can ... there's too many unproven commodities in the pen ...

Pudgepork

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 08:23:22 am »

That sec strike zone seems to shrink and move when Hogs are pitching. 

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I liked Big Mike but it was a lie
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 08:39:39 am »

I don't expect Connor to ever suit up for the football hogs again.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The People’s Mod
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 08:42:59 am »

Does that mean no spring camp? 

PorkRyan

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 10:39:56 am »

That is the truth.

NATEHOGG216

• now thats a hog fan
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 11:03:00 am »

Wow. Really?

hogdollar

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 12:48:17 pm »

Well this just got a little more interesting

Knot2brite

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 01:50:39 pm »

There are some variables but I am 75% positive this is the truth

fullfan

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 02:09:18 pm »

Does that mean no spring camp? 
Spring practice would be considered suiting up so I guess he means no to Spring practice. 

Not surprised CN would stick with baseball.

dotnet

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 02:09:47 pm »

That could be awesome for the baseball side

hogdollar

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 02:49:37 pm »

With as good as he was in highschool focusing on 2 sports one has to wonder what his ceiling could be if he was to solely focus on baseball. Personally I think the ceiling could be pretty high with a chance to work with Hobbs for a season and an off season but nothing has been said yet so dont wanna get the hopes up on it to much.

NoogaHog

• Senior
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 03:43:24 pm »

So, is he giving up the full scholly for a partial one? I don't know anything about his family, but I would think the full ride would hard to give up.

That being said, he did fax his LOI from Italy, so maybe it is not a big deal.

Hogdomer

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 03:43:48 pm »

Care to put a wager on that one?

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 05:02:21 pm »

Ugh oh!!!!

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 05:48:02 pm »

which is his best option at having a pro career?

plus, our football team right now needs a full time qb, not one playing another sport

ladybackfan

• Varsity
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 09:23:19 pm »

So, is he giving up the full scholly for a partial one? I don't know anything about his family, but I would think the full ride would hard to give up.

That being said, he did fax his LOI from Italy, so maybe it is not a big deal.

His Granddad can afford to pay for his college.  I think he is a diamond miner or something like that.

Hogdomer

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2019, 10:07:28 am »

His Granddad can afford to pay for his college.  I think he is a diamond miner or something like that.

No

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2019, 11:38:12 am »

No. Things can change and sources can be wrong. It's a dumb proposition to ask. My track record is pretty good though and don't just throw random stuff out unless i believe it's true. Sure, things can change but it's not believed he will play next fall. If you have info to the contrary, send me a pm and I'll try to verify.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2019, 11:40:46 am »

No. Things can change and sources can be wrong. It's a dumb proposition to ask. My track record is pretty good though and don't just throw random stuff out unless i believe it's true. Sure, things can change but it's not believed he will play next fall. If you have info to the contrary, send me a pm and I'll try to verify.

i never doubt me my boy spal

ThisTeetsTaken

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2019, 12:30:05 pm »

Source?

PorkRyan

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2019, 01:54:06 pm »

You are way off on this one. 

hogdollar

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2019, 01:59:27 pm »

So now we've had 2 people say they are at least 75% sure hes done with football and two that seem pretty adamant that hes still playing football. From past experience its hard to doubt what SPAL says when it involves players.

navyhog24

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2019, 02:01:42 pm »

So now we've had 2 people say they are at least 75% sure hes done with football and two that seem pretty adamant that hes still playing football. From past experience its hard to doubt what SPAL says when it involves players.

I think he'll stay with the football just enough so that he can stay on full scholarship instead of risking getting a partial scholly with baseball.

Hogdomer

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2019, 02:18:38 pm »

I guess it's possible the coaches plan to lay the ultimatum down (no more football) and think Connor will agree or they think they can convince Connor to give up football voluntarily.  If so, they have only revealed this to "sources" and not to the player himself yet.   

hogdollar

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2019, 02:38:46 pm »

I guess it's possible the coaches plan to lay the ultimatum down (no more football) and think Connor will agree or they think they can convince Connor to give up football voluntarily.  If so, they have only revealed this to "sources" and not to the player himself yet.   
I dont think it would be hard to convince him to give it up. His playing time is going to go way down unless Hicks gets hurt plus you know the coaches will get KJ in his 4 games and from what we saw hes not exactly Kyler Murray or Jamisis Winston. I'm not trying to knock the kid I think he could turn out to be great at both or not so great at both but I think his future would be brighter in baseball.

Hogdomer

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2019, 02:44:03 pm »

I dont think it would be hard to convince him to give it up. His playing time is going to go way down unless Hicks gets hurt plus you know the coaches will get KJ in his 4 games and from what we saw hes not exactly Kyler Murray or Jamisis Winston. I'm not trying to knock the kid I think he could turn out to be great at both or not so great at both but I think his future would be brighter in baseball.

He had one of our two wins in the only game he played the whole time as a true freshman.  He will still be a redshirt freshman next year.  He loves football.  Kyler Murray didn't exactly light it up as a freshman at A&M either.  If he was that in love with baseball, we would have at least explored the MLB draft coming out of high school.

hogdollar

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2019, 03:12:59 pm »

He had one of our two wins in the only game he played the whole time as a true freshman.  He will still be a redshirt freshman next year.  He loves football.  Kyler Murray didn't exactly light it up as a freshman at A&M either.  If he was that in love with baseball, we would have at least explored the MLB draft coming out of high school.
Your right about Kyler and that Connor did lead us to one of our 2 wins. I also think it has been well stated how much he loves football. I just think with the recent additions of Hicks and KJ, yes I know we havent seen KJ in a Hog uniform that's a different topic, I just think his future may be brighter on the diamond instead. I also want to say I have no sources on anything I'm just trying to pass the next 29 days with good conversation.

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2019, 05:23:56 pm »

I guess we will see how it turns out after the spring. I'd be shocked if he was a part of the football team next fall, but I've been wrong before.

Hogdomer

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2019, 07:01:58 pm »

I guess we will see how it turns out after the spring. I'd be shocked if he was a part of the football team next fall, but I've been wrong before.

I’ll be shocked if he isn’t.

Pudgepork

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2019, 09:17:19 am »

Noland will miss fall football because he'll be on a book signing tour promoting his newly released book,
How I Struck Out 20 Straight LSU Tiggers.     

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2019, 10:00:28 am »

Noland will miss fall football because he'll be on a book signing tour promoting his newly released book,
How I Struck Out 20 Straight LSU Tiggers.   

Why couldn’t he finish the 7th inning?   Cronnin cant go that long

Pudgepork

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2019, 11:32:29 am »

Why couldn’t he finish the 7th inning?   Cronnin cant go that long

He pitched a complete game.  Lsu scored 4 runs in the 1st 3 innings and won the game 4-2

Razrpig256

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2019, 03:12:30 pm »

Sounds like Chad was down at Baum earlier this week to discuss Noland with DVH and Hobbs. Here is the interview Bo posted earlier with DVH:

https://twitter.com/sportstalkwbo/status/1086365093284233221?s=21

bulldog04

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2019, 06:07:26 pm »

Sounds like Chad was down at Baum earlier this week to discuss Noland with DVH and Hobbs. Here is the interview Bo posted earlier with DVH:

https://twitter.com/sportstalkwbo/status/1086365093284233221?s=21
Sounds like he will have a role with team and have a chance to start in mid week games

parallaxpig

• Hogvillian
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2019, 06:22:53 pm »

He knows he will be #2 behind Hicks whether he goes thru spring ball or not.

Roadhog82

• Senior
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2019, 05:54:21 pm »

If he was that in love with baseball, we would have at least explored the MLB draft coming out of high school.

We? Interesting 🤔

hogdollar

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2019, 05:57:23 pm »

Sounds like he will have a role with team and have a chance to start in mid week games
Sounds like he could start more than the mid week games. Also from today's presser the door was opened for him to miss the red white game.

arthurhawgerelli

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2019, 10:12:48 am »

Sounds like he could start more than the mid week games. Also from today's presser the door was opened for him to miss the red white game.

The spring game is the same weekend the baseball team travels to Auburn.  I could see Noland missing the spring game, but I don't think it has any bearing as to his place on the depth chart of the football team. 

Connor has been at the early morning football workouts for those wondering. 

navyhog24

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2019, 05:11:41 pm »

I'm happy to admit to being wrong on Noland. The kid has great command and a nasty curve and slider.

BigBrandonAllenFan

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2019, 07:40:12 pm »

If you play for Van Horn, and you are named the Saturday night starter, you are very good.

hogdollar

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2019, 08:04:59 pm »

After what I saw today he may be and stay on the football team but I'll be shocked if he plays again. Hes not gonna be the real deal I think he already is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas