• 10,302,836 Posts
• 408,279 Topics
• 23,335 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: SEC network loves MA  (Read 2842 times)

checkraiser88

SEC network loves MA
« on: January 13, 2019, 05:40:19 pm »

The way the sec network shows graphics of how young we are each game along with MA's accomplishments really lead me to believe that MA will get another 3 years minimum. However, the local media has started to get a little anxious and I wonder if it might spread to the national guys? Every game they show how young we are and then they brag that MA has never had a losing record. We get that same propaganda every game! If we do fire MA.. what will be the blowback of firing an african american coach without a losing season?

*move to jumpball, sorry

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: SEC network loves MA
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 05:45:18 pm »

None.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

presidenthog

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 05:57:43 pm »

The way the sec network shows graphics of how young we are each game along with MA's accomplishments really lead me to believe that MA will get another 3 years minimum. However, the local media has started to get a little anxious and I wonder if it might spread to the national guys? Every game they show how young we are and then they brag that MA has never had a losing record. We get that same propaganda every game! If we do fire MA.. what will be the blowback of firing an african american coach without a losing season?

*move to jumpball, sorry

He isn't ever going to be anything, but above average.

Either accept this is his cieling at Arkansas, or think we are capable of being better than above average. We will see how the PTB think.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 07:40:14 pm »

Regardless of Mikeís ability as a coach, I bet he could post this ish in the correct forum.

hoglady

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 07:56:50 pm »

Seldom do you hear the SEC Network guys bash any coaches.

Hog N Bama

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 08:02:59 pm »

MA will never be better than middle of the pack

AirWarren

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Football impotence of the Midwest
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 08:05:01 pm »

Mirror image of our entire athletic program then.

Boarcephus

• Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 08:06:45 pm »

In the last 10 years or so, the UofA has had two coaches I would have loved to have seen succeed, one is Bielema and  the other is Mike because both are quality, nice guys but Bielema didn't and I'm not sure Mike will.  Bielema was in over his head and Mike is trapped in a world 25 years ago. 

swineology

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 09:25:47 pm »

Mirror image of our entire administration

FIFY

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 02:17:51 am »

sssshhhhhh don't tell DVH

Supermark101

• Hogvillian
  • We all need a little Love
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 02:42:43 am »

Outside of football, basketball, and volleyball we are well above average.

HogBreath

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 05:55:30 am »

That's when I fell for....the Middle of the Pack.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 08:28:54 am »

That's when I fell for....the Middle of the Pack.
Varoom Varoom!

Hook 'em Hogs

• Senior
  • Macchio or just plain Macho?
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 09:01:21 am »

I don't know if Mike needs to go or not.  What I do know is that if we did let Mike go, Arkansas is a much better job now than when he took over.  I think we could get a very quality coach to come based on what Mike has done and how he has been treated.  The thing you can know is that you'll be given time to turn this program into a winner, and that you can get players here.  Mike's been given time and has gotten some real nice players here.  The wins haven't come in the way anyone would like though. 

Letsroll1200

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 09:40:34 am »

I don't know if Mike needs to go or not.  What I do know is that if we did let Mike go, Arkansas is a much better job now than when he took over.  I think we could get a very quality coach to come based on what Mike has done and how he has been treated.  The thing you can know is that you'll be given time to turn this program into a winner, and that you can get players here.  Mike's been given time and has gotten some real nice players here.  The wins haven't come in the way anyone would like though.

Arkansas fans should be thanking Mike Anderson for what he's done. I don't think he's met the expectations that we were expecting when he was hired. However, he has brought some stability to the program. If he can't make a significant impact in the tournament in the next two years, than the Hogs might have to make a move.

daprospecta

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 11:49:44 am »

Arkansas fans should be thanking Mike Anderson for what he's done. I don't think he's met the expectations that we were expecting when he was hired. However, he has brought some stability to the program. If he can't make a significant impact in the tournament in the next two years, than the Hogs might have to make a move.
Honestly, I feel this way too. I feel we should be a tourney team this year BUT with what we have this year AND what's coming in next year, we should have enough talent to make a run within the next two years.

hawg66

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 11:58:25 am »

The reason they always mention how young the team is is because people who understand basketball realize that other than one and done players itís a significant learning curve moving to major college basketball.

As freshmen at Tennessee Williams Schofield and Bone went 16-16 with a losing conference record, finished 9th in the SEC. Patience is needed but not likely.

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 12:10:14 pm »

He isn't ever going to be anything, but above average.

Either accept this is his cieling at Arkansas, or think we are capable of being better than above average. We will see how the PTB think.
Above average???  WTH....that statement is what is wrong with Arkansas media and fans alike......what is going on is unacceptable....period.

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 12:11:08 pm »

The reason they always mention how young the team is is because people who understand basketball realize that other than one and done players itís a significant learning curve moving to major college basketball.

As freshmen at Tennessee Williams Schofield and Bone went 16-16 with a losing conference record, finished 9th in the SEC. Patience is needed but not likely.
Year 7......14 games 4 home losses???

phadedhawg

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 12:12:30 pm »

While all that is true, MA has the NCAA flop last year with a group of seniors bringing down his approval rating.  Had he done something with a senior heavy team people would be more willing to cut this year's freshman heavy team a bit more slack. 

checkraiser88

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 12:19:13 pm »

They will eventually start mentioning why we are this young to begin with in year 8

The Hogfather

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2019, 12:23:56 pm »

While all that is true, MA has the NCAA flop last year with a group of seniors bringing down his approval rating.  Had he done something with a senior heavy team people would be more willing to cut this year's freshman heavy team a bit more slack. 

Yeah, that Butler dud really left a sour taste in my mouth, as did the transfers of a couple of guys who likely would've been able to contribute this season (especially Hall).  The way we started, I started to get a little excited about how we were playing.  However, the past couple of losses (especially Florida) and the Western Kentucky loss really started to bring that sour taste back.  Also, when I look at the upcoming schedule, I don't see many games I think we'll win.  It is pretty daunting.

hobhog

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2019, 12:53:31 pm »

I think MA is appreciated for the man he is and his spirit, but I think confidence of fan base that he can take us where we want and should be has diminished greatly. Even the most ardent of his supporters that I speak to seem to be losing patience. He needs to get it turned around this year and I'm not sure he can. Tournament or bust should be our yearly mantra, especially after 8 years.

daprospecta

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2019, 01:09:35 pm »

I think MA is appreciated for the man he is and his spirit, but I think confidence of fan base that he can take us where we want and should be has diminished greatly. Even the most ardent of his supporters that I speak to seem to be losing patience. He needs to get it turned around this year and I'm not sure he can. Tournament or bust should be our yearly mantra, especially after 8 years.

Tourney most years but thinking you should be guaranteed a tourney team every year is a bit much. Every 3 out of 4 is fair.

hawg66

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 02:47:33 pm »

Thanks to all the posters for proving my point.

hobhog

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 05:50:40 pm »

Thanks to all the posters for proving my point.

Correct- people have lost patience.

hogsmash12

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 08:47:07 pm »

Iím just so torn with the whole Ďtheyíre youngí thing. Itís truly amazing how athletes evolve.  Freshmen are doing amazing things and they just keep getting better which scares me and I donít know what to think of it. I think that coaching is the new recruiting ground.  There is so much parody in college basketball these days and coaching is the separator. 

Iíll leave it there and hang up and listen.

hawg66

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 09:23:50 pm »

Correct- people have lost patience.
The ones who donít or wonít understand, yes.

hobhog

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 10:02:22 pm »

The ones who donít or wonít understand, yes.

Hard to see the picture when you are in the frame.

I'm guessing his approval rating is lowest ever been and dropping. People don't and won't understand being irrelevant in an average conference after 8 years of a coaches term.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 10:13:27 pm »

Iím just so torn with the whole Ďtheyíre youngí thing. Itís truly amazing how athletes evolve.  Freshmen are doing amazing things and they just keep getting better which scares me and I donít know what to think of it. I think that coaching is the new recruiting ground.  There is so much parody in college basketball these days and coaching is the separator. 

Iíll leave it there and hang up and listen.
The word you are looking for is parity.  A parody is weird Al, where you take a known commodity and make light of it with different words, lyrics etc. to poke some fun at something.

The irony is that the Arkansas program sometimes seems like a parody of its former self.

hogsmash12

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2019, 10:21:01 pm »

The word you are looking for is parity.  A parody is weird Al, where you take a known commodity and make light of it with different words, lyrics etc. to poke some fun at something.

The irony is that the Arkansas program sometimes seems like a parody of its former self.

You are absolutely correct and I sit drunk and corrected. Iím looking for a response to the spirit of the thought.

hogsmash12

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2019, 10:23:19 pm »

Iím just so torn with the whole Ďtheyíre youngí thing. Itís truly amazing how athletes evolve.  Freshmen are doing amazing things and they just keep getting better which scares me and I donít know what to think of it. I think that coaching is the new recruiting ground.  There is so much parity  in college basketball these days and coaching is the separator.    Iíll leave it there and hang up and listen.

hamARchy in the USA

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2019, 10:51:35 pm »

Iím just so torn with the whole Ďtheyíre youngí thing. Itís truly amazing how athletes evolve.  Freshmen are doing amazing things and they just keep getting better which scares me and I donít know what to think of it. I think that coaching is the new recruiting ground.  There is so much parity  in college basketball these days and coaching is the separator.    Iíll leave it there and hang up and listen.

Coaching gets discounted around here but the coach has always been first and foremost.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2019, 12:27:42 am »

But...they have a different coach now.  Isn't that the point?  The players were patient, but only because they had to develop and get past their weaknesses.  It could be argued that it was the hiring of Barnes that turned TN around, couldn't it?

As fans, people who don't like how MA coaches...I get it.  But, lately we've seen an uptick in recruiting, and if our future commits land, that is poised to continue.  I'm not a huge MA fan, but it's far from guaranteed that we're going to see the same level of talent come to the hill, unless the PTB can land a really heavy hitter.

I think we'll have to see a pretty big drop off over the next two years to see a change.  I just think many people see us as turning a corner with recruiting, and interest in the program, and they want to see if MA can deliver.  Losing Gafford will prove to be a big hurdle, so we'll see what happens...   

cram224

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2019, 07:32:10 am »

Have a feeling Mike will have to make major changes with his coaching staff if he wants to hang around much longer.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2019, 07:50:08 am »

*move to jumpball, sorry

Why even start this thread?  CMA is more secure in his job than anyone on the whole UofA campus!  He will be there until he decides to retire I can guarantee you that.  That was a fact when he was hired. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2019, 08:17:09 am »

These conversations are bringing back memories of seasons 7 and 8 of Nutt - the free pass years.  Fans in larger numbers began turning and voicing their frustrations.  Now I don't believe we have a coordinated, or what felt coordinated, effort by the mouthpieces to shut down the fans frustrations as we did then. 

Going to be lots of blowback from the ardent supporters after the next success. 

I don't believe Mike will change the staff unless another member of the inner circle comes in.  I don't believe in forcing staff changes on a coach.  His program.  His staff.  Let him sink or swim with his choices. 

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2019, 08:28:25 am »

These conversations are bringing back memories of seasons 7 and 8 of Nutt - the free pass years.  Fans in larger numbers began turning and voicing their frustrations.  Now I don't believe we have a coordinated, or what felt coordinated, effort by the mouthpieces to shut down the fans frustrations as we did then. 

I don't believe Mike will change the staff unless another member of the inner circle comes in.  I don't believe in forcing staff changes on a coach.  His program.  His staff.  Let him sink or swim with his choices.

I agree with the last paragraph.  It would be nice to see them have some success, and propel some of the staff to bigger opportunities.  Something was said the other night during the telecast that was interesting to me.  They said that Scotty Thurman was working the Isiah Joe on his shot.  They then added that he was working on helping him CREATE his own shot.  Part B...I'm cool with, but there's NO REASON to mess with his shooting motion, at all.  Thurman actually had a sort of awkward short that really didn't line up with the basket as well as is coached, so hopefully it's a "do as I say, not as I do" situation. 

I don't think it would matter who MA has as assistants.  He's going to employ the same age old strategy as long as he's here, which is to try to get into the other team's legs.  We'll never know if we actually have the talent to play with some teams, because he's going to run our own players ragged playing that style.  Sink...or swim. 

hawg66

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2019, 08:40:16 am »

But...they have a different coach now.  Isn't that the point?  The players were patient, but only because they had to develop and get past their weaknesses.  It could be argued that it was the hiring of Barnes that turned TN around, couldn't it?

Except that Barnes was already the coach. He was actually in his second year. His first year Tennessee went 15-19 and finished 12th in the SEC. People are shocked and surprised, I know.

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2019, 09:03:59 am »

Except that Barnes was already the coach. He was actually in his second year. His first year Tennessee went 15-19 and finished 12th in the SEC. People are shocked and surprised, I know.

No...I knew that.  The point is...the players developed under him.  They didn't go early...because they weren't good enough, and had weaknesses.  Schofield couldn't shoot, for example.  I'm very interested to see how we look in two years, and I'm confident MA will still be here minus a total meltdown.  If we can get a replacement for Gafford, we could be pretty good in 2021 or so.  Again...wait until next year.  We just never quite seem to get the player mix correct, but I keep thinking one of these days...we will get someone like Waters, and someone like Gafford, and we'll see MA's system work at its highest level. 

ladybackfan

• Varsity
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2019, 09:16:16 am »

Why even start this thread?  CMA is more secure in his job than anyone on the whole UofA campus!  He will be there until he decides to retire I can guarantee you that.  That was a fact when he was hired.

If he came here under that condition then the people who hired him should be run out of town. DVH is the most secure coach on campus.  Fire him and keep Anderson and their will be tanks rolling through Fayetteville.

hawg66

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2019, 10:08:12 am »

No...I knew that.  The point is...the players developed under him.  They didn't go early...because they weren't good enough, and had weaknesses.  Schofield couldn't shoot, for example.  I'm very interested to see how we look in two years, and I'm confident MA will still be here minus a total meltdown.  If we can get a replacement for Gafford, we could be pretty good in 2021 or so.  Again...wait until next year.  We just never quite seem to get the player mix correct, but I keep thinking one of these days...we will get someone like Waters, and someone like Gafford, and we'll see MA's system work at its highest level.
I was thinking you believed Barnes was a new coach based on that part where you said he was a new coach. And I like your take on the potential for this group. The point is, there are many here who believe Barnes came in and Tennessee was instantly and miraculously better. The facts are that he was way under .500 in conference and overall. The players he has now were not great as freshmen and took their lumps while developing. Patience.... not with Anderson, but with this group of players who have a chance to be special.

If Anderson was replaced and the new guy went 31-37 his first two years while finishing 12th and 9th in the SEC this place would be as bad as it is now. The scary thing is several would be happy only because Anderson was gone.

Paul

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2019, 11:48:23 am »

Who?  Scott Edgar?

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2019, 11:56:23 am »

I was thinking you believed Barnes was a new coach based on that part where you said he was a new coach. And I like your take on the potential for this group. The point is, there are many here who believe Barnes came in and Tennessee was instantly and miraculously better. The facts are that he was way under .500 in conference and overall. The players he has now were not great as freshmen and took their lumps while developing. Patience.... not with Anderson, but with this group of players who have a chance to be special.

If Anderson was replaced and the new guy went 31-37 his first two years while finishing 12th and 9th in the SEC this place would be as bad as it is now. The scary thing is several would be happy only because Anderson was gone.

I still think of Barnes as "new" in some ways.  But...I completely agree.  People don't believe we can do worse, but we absolutely can, and odds are, we would.  If there's one thing I get SICK AND TIRED OF about Hogville, it's that there's this underlying theme that these amazing coaches are out there, and we can just pick up the phone and hire one.  We just watched a proven HC from an underdog program in Wisconsin, come here and FAIL.  It seemed like he should work here...did more with less at UW, and beat up on the big boys of the Big 10.  I know...people will come out of the woodwork to say they knew he would fail, bad hire, etc.  The bottom line is, he was a proven coach with a winning record, and he failed...miserably, most would say. 

Hey...if you have Bill Self on the phone begging to get out of KS...or someone with that type of pedigree...then that's one thing, but to suggest that we'd be better off if we had moved on from MA and hired Gregg Marshall from Wichita State when he had those Sr. laden good teams, convinced he would do great things here, then that's another. 

I don't think Calipari is any better of a coach than MA.  I really don't.  I just think he gets the best players.  If he came here...he wouldn't be any better than MA IMO.       

Basketball fan

• Band Nerd
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2019, 12:09:21 pm »

Oh my..some of the hog fans are delusional.....coach cal is a much better coach all the way around when it comes to recruiting....x and o's of the game...hogs don't play defense and doesn't really appear they even work on defense..the run..shoot..holler concept Nolan use to run no longer works...Yes they are young but look at teams like Kansas who start three freshmen are in same boat but yet they are winning and playing without their big center for rest of year and still winnng..if Arkansas lost gafford like kansas lost their center there would be no more win games..take a look around at other teams...if games are close ma will always be outcoached..proven stat

Hatleyville454

• Varsity
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2019, 02:15:55 pm »

As fans, people who don't like how MA coaches...I get it.  But, lately we've seen an uptick in recruiting, and if our future commits land, that is poised to continue.  I'm not a huge MA fan, but it's far from guaranteed that we're going to see the same level of talent come to the hill, unless the PTB can land a really heavy hitter.

I think we'll have to see a pretty big drop off over the next two years to see a change.  I just think many people see us as turning a corner with recruiting, and interest in the program, and they want to see if MA can deliver.  Losing Gafford will prove to be a big hurdle, so we'll see what happens...

Don't hang your hat on the future recruiting. Remember 2011? We had a top 10 class. We signed all of those Wings teammates that had just won the AAU national tourney. BJ Young was a 5 star from out of state. We were gonna be back on top in no time!!

The next 4 seasons we went to one NCAA tournament, and that was on Bobby Portis and Michael Qualls back, who were not in that great 2011 recruiting class. Ky Madden is the only player that stayed around long enough to see any success.

I don't think it would matter who MA has as assistants.  He's going to employ the same age old strategy as long as he's here, which is to try to get into the other team's legs.  We'll never know if we actually have the talent to play with some teams, because he's going to run our own players ragged playing that style.  Sink...or swim. 

I don't mind the system, controlled chaos and what not, but your strategy can't be to get into the legs of the other team any longer. Too many timeouts and game stoppage for that to work anymore. Even official reviews are killing us on that front...if they are going to employ that system, the goal needs to be to speed up the other teams decision making to create TOs and/or frustrate them in the backcourt to shorten the shot clock. That's it.

I don't think Calipari is any better of a coach than MA.  I really don't.  I just think he gets the best players.  If he came here...he wouldn't be any better than MA IMO.       

I can't stand Calipari as much as the next guy, but this is just crazy talk!

I appreciate Mike's tenure here, and think he was definitely the coach we needed at the time. He righted the ship and got us back to a respectable place in college basketball. However, I don't think he is the one that will take our program to that next level - the level we long for. He is the bridge to get to that level, and at some point, we have to decide to cross that bridge.

rzrbackramsfan

• "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2019, 05:01:15 pm »

Crazy, I posted along the same lines a few weeks ago and have seen the the same view from other CMA defenders recently. 

oldbooniehog

• Testing...testing
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2019, 08:05:35 pm »

For folks in this thread comparing Rick Barnes to Mike Anderson, there is simply no comparison.

Rick has 23 trips to NCAA Tourney as a head coach.

Mike has 9 as a head coach.

Rick had more ranked finishes at Texas than Mike has ranked finishes lifetime.

mountainhog

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2019, 08:29:38 pm »

To the op, sec network isnt the only ones who loves MA.  So do all the opposing coaches and fans.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2019, 06:32:37 am »

*move to jumpball, sorry

The whole SEC loves them some Mike Anderson, as long as they can beat Arkansas like a rented mule then they will keep on living them some CMA.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas