• 10,353,733 Posts
• 409,657 Topics
• 23,416 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NO Super Bowl/NFC title game for the 23rd straight year for the Dallas Cowboys.  (Read 913 times)

rzrbkman

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

4-10 playoff record in the past 23 season

They missed the playoffs in 13 of those 23 seasons.

alohawg

In the biggest game the biggest strength was MIA. I cannot believe this defense mailed it in, NO heart, NO toughness, NO physicality, NOthing when they were needed most.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tell me what you don't like about yourself.

I think they are in the same boat as Razorback basketball.
Good coach, decent program, never gonna be elite.

Time for a change but that Amari cooper trade bought Garrett probably 2 more years minimum.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian

And they are the first team in 31 years to win a playoff game with every starter under the age of 30.

They played all year without all pro center Travis Frederick too. I’m all for sending Linehan packing though.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian

They're still very young. Dak is still being developed as an NFL players. In the off season, they need to lock up their key folks, maybe get a deep threat receiver to compliment amari in the draft, and shore up some on defense. And next season not start 3-5 where they can have a much better record and hopefully get home field. And they need to play better on the road while they're ay it too.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian

I told everyone all year long the defense was overrated. It was smoke and mirrors because of the Saints shutdown.

The d actually gave up less yards per play last year.

Having said that, I did not expect them to get totally outmatched and out-physicaled all game.

The rams were the better team all year.

rzrbkman

• Senior

The Cowboys will face a much tougher regular season schedule next year due to their record being better this season, than in 2017.

The team will take a over $ 10 million salary cap hit with Sean Lee still on the roster.

Plus, they will still have Jerry Jones making more player personnel decisions than he needs to.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian

Jerry’s personnel decision this year turned the season around.

And their draft picks over the last 5-8 years have been outstanding.

What they need is elite coaching. Jmo

EastexHawg

What a great day of football.  Contenders move on, pretenders go home.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian

You didn’t even think they’d get to the playoffs, much less win a game.

Only one team isn’t a pretender at the end of the year. You just better hope “your” chiefs and that “atrocious” defense go all the way.

EastexHawg

You didn’t even think they’d get to the playoffs, much less win a game.

I didn't realize how terrible the NFC East was going to be for most of the season.  The Giants were awful, the Redskins didn't have a QB.  The Eagles came on late, but by the time they got it together it was too late. 

The Cowboys have the best RB in football and traded away their first round pick next year to win this year.  The Rams defense, which is hardly the Fearsome Foursome, controlled them with a four man rush, clogging running lanes, and laying 10-12 yards off receivers. 

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian

Anybody playing this late in the year has a chance to win it all, even if it’s an outside one. You didn’t pick them last week anyway.

Their vaunted defense let them down bigly tonight, as Kris Richard admitted.

EastexHawg

Considering history any Cowboys playoff win is a good one.  The defense is very good, capable of winning at the very least.  Elliott is in my opinion the best back in the league.  While Dak is improving I don't think...oh, well, I won't talk about that now.

Cooper seemed worth the pick after coming over, but I have to wonder if he will continue to be this type of player now that he has settled in with Dallas.  He disappeared in Oakland after a while.  Why?  And is that something in his makeup?

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian

You think the defense is very good?  Lol

They were overrated all year. Their defensive numbers are inflated due to the offense being ball control. They got exposed in every possible way last night.

Time will tell on Amari, but it sure did pay off this year. And Zeke got 20 carries for 47 yards last night including being stuffed on the biggest play of the game. I blame most of that on playcalling though.

Dak is definitely going in the right direction but I’d like to bring in somebody fresh to help him take the next step.

EastexHawg

You think the defense is very good?  Lol

They were overrated all year. Their defensive numbers are inflated due to the offense being ball control. They got exposed in every possible way last night.

Time will tell on Amari, but it sure did pay off this year. And Zeke got 20 carries for 47 yards last night including being stuffed on the biggest play of the game. I blame most of that on playcalling though.

Dak is definitely going in the right direction but I’d like to bring in somebody fresh to help him take the next step.

Zeke and an outstanding QB would complement each other.  Defenses would not be able to stack the box to stop Elliott if the Cowboys executed a play action, downfield passing game.  How much running room would Zeke have if Mahomes, Rivers, Brees, or even Romo was hitting timing based throws downfield?

For those who want to wait for Dak to get better how long are you willing to wait?  How long is the Cowboys' window?  How many years does Zeke have before he loses something?

The Cowboys defense was very good this year.  Look at the numbers.  They compared well with other 2019 NFL defenses, which is the standard...not the '76 Steelers.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian

Willing to wait? Hell, you still wanted Romo out there at age 37. Lol

Dak at age 25 - 1 playoff win and 33 nfl wins
Romo at age 25 - 0 playoff win and 0 nfl wins

A little perspective for you. Also, the defense was better in several categories last year. The vertical passing game is not on Dak. That’s on the coaching staff. You can find several videos of Dak throwing the ball down field. I know he doesn’t throw no-look passes and left-handed passes, but the off-balanced 50 yard strike to Cole Beasley two weeks ago was a decent pass.

You just don’t like Jerry because he moved on from a broken glass Romo. You’ve admitted such. Romo never won anything, including in 2007 when he had 4 pro bowl defensive players and 6 pro bowl offensive players around him and still couldn’t win a home game in the playoffs.

At this stage in his career, Dak is better than Romo. And I supported Romo every step of the way.

EastexHawg

No, he's not better.  Romo is one of the top rated passers in history.  He executed his position better than Dak does.  Romo had this type of running game and offensive line one time, in 2014.  He led the NFL in passing that year.  Where did Dak rate?

You are trying to conflate team performance with quarterback performance.  There's not a 1 to 1 correlation and I think you know that.  Marino was a much better QB than Dilfer or Brad Johnson but they won Super Bowls.  Rivers is better than Eli Manning but Eli has two rings.

Mahomes was the best QB in college football for two years but Texas Tech was a below .500 team.  Was the Iowa State QB better because they won?

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian

You totally missed the “at this stage in their career” point.

That’s undeniable. You didn’t even know who Tony Romo was when he was 25. And neither did every other team in the league that didn’t draft the guy. Romo had a very good career, but let’s not act like he ever won anything of significance. As a cowboy qb, you’re measured up to Aikman and Staubach fair or not. Dak will be measured the same way. Time will tell.

EastexHawg

In Romo's second and third full seasons (he missed a few games in 2008 with an injury) he threw for a combined 8,700 yards, 62 TDs, and passer ratings of 97.6 and 97.4.

The Cowboys went 13-3 and 11-5 those seasons.

Fortunately we have history to fill in blanks in memories.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian

And you know what?  He was 27 and 29 years old those years.

Pesky birth dates.

EastexHawg

You keep going back to team performance. 

For their careers Romo threw 248 TD passes and 117 interceptions.  Aikman threw for 165 TDs and 148 interceptions.

One of them is a Hall of Famer.  One is constantly ridiculed, especially over turnovers.  It's not easy to figure out who is who looking at their numbers. 

Is it possible supporting cast had something to do with it?

Pulled(PP)pork

For their careers Romo threw 248 TD passes and 117 interceptions.  Aikman threw for 165 TDs and 148 interceptions.

One of them is a Hall of Famer.  One is constantly ridiculed, especially over turnovers.  It's not easy to figure out who is who looking at their numbers. 

which rests at the feet of the owner and coaches.....fix that, fix the 'girls

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian

How is putting his age in any way shape or form going back to team performance?  Dak is 25. Romo hadn’t taken a single snap at the same age. I know you don’t like those facts.

EastexHawg

How is putting his age in any way shape or form going back to team performance?  Dak is 25. Romo hadn’t taken a single snap at the same age. I know you don’t like those facts.

You are the one who brought not only Dak but Staubach and Aikman into this Romo comparison.

Romo had a very good career, but let’s not act like he ever won anything of significance. As a cowboy qb, you’re measured up to Aikman and Staubach fair or not.

I'm not sure why you find age so much more important than playing time.  Mahomes is 23.  I think Marino was even younger.  They didn't have to play 5-6 years or wait until they were 28 to show what they are/were.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian

Zeke and an outstanding QB would complement each other.  Defenses would not be able to stack the box to stop Elliott if the Cowboys executed a play action, downfield passing game.  How much running room would Zeke have if Mahomes, Rivers, Brees, or even Romo was hitting timing based throws downfield?

For those who want to wait for Dak to get better how long are you willing to wait?  How long is the Cowboys' window?  How many years does Zeke have before he loses something?

The Cowboys defense was very good this year.  Look at the numbers.  They compared well with other 2019 NFL defenses, which is the standard...not the '76 Steelers.

Actually you were the one who starting comparing qbs.

EastexHawg

Actually you were the one who starting comparing qbs.

There's really no problem here.  You are a Cowboys fan and you are happy with Dak.  I'm a Chiefs fan and I'm happy with Mahomes.  You enjoy the Cowboys' and Dak's accomplishments over the coming years and I'll do the same.  We'll see whose team and QB ends up accomplishing more.

When Jerry is finally gone I may start rooting for the Cowboys again.  Maybe they and the Hogs might have a chance at returning to something close to what they used to be.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian

The only problem is I’ve called you out on your own statements and yet you, (a now professed Chiefs fan), continue to post in a thread to take shot at the Cowboys.

I’d love to continue supporting my team without having to defend them constantly. You started this.

So if you’re serious about enjoying your team and me enjoying mine, I’m in.

EastexHawg

I've rooted for the Cowboys and the Hogs for maybe longer than you have been alive, going back to shortly after Jerry was a player..  I'll reserve the right to comment on either of them if it's okay with you.

Comment on the Chiefs all you want.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian

And I’ll keep smacking you around with those pesky facts that trigger you.

EastexHawg

And I’ll keep smacking you around with those pesky facts that trigger you.

Triggered?  My team is hosting the AFC Championship Game.  What is yours doing next weekend?

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian

Triggered?  My team is hosting the AFC Championship Game.  What is yours doing next weekend?

“My team”. Didn’t know I was dealing with you, Mrs Hunt. Lmao

“Your” team won their first home playoff game in 25 years. Congrats. Let me know when they catch “my team” in Super Bowls.

See ya in 2023 at the earliest.

EastexHawg

“My team”. Didn’t know I was dealing with you, Mrs Hunt. Lmao

“Your” team won their first home playoff game in 25 years. Congrats. Let me know when they catch “my team” in Super Bowls.

See ya in 2023 at the earliest.

Ooohhh, burn. 

I was a Cowboys fan when they played in their first Super Bowl.  Did Mel Renfro really touch the ball on that long Colts TD pass to John Mackey?

I was there when Roger took them to four in eight years, winning two.  And of course I was there when Jimmy built the roster that won three in four years in the 90s... about the time egomaniac Jerry fired him.

Jerry thought he knew what he was doing back then, just as he thinks he knows what he has been doing for the last 23 years.  I'm sick of him, sick of his ego, sick of him throwing his weight around in the Arkansas coaching search.

I always try to see what is, not what I hope things to be.  Jerry's crap?  No, thanks.

Besides, I've been telling people about, watching, and rooting for Mahomes since he was in high school.  In addition to being a  great player he's a great kid and I like him, unlike Jerry.

alohawg

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian

Ooohhh, burn. 

I was a Cowboys fan when they played in their first Super Bowl.  Did Mel Renfro really touch the ball on that long Colts TD pass to John Mackey?

I was there when Roger took them to four in eight years, winning two.  And of course I was there when Jimmy built the roster that won three in four years in the 90s... about the time egomaniac Jerry fired him.

Jerry thought he knew what he was doing back then, just as he thinks he knows what he has been doing for the last 23 years.  I'm sick of him, sick of his ego, sick of him throwing his weight around in the Arkansas coaching search.

I always try to see what is, not what I hope things to be.  Jerry's crap?  No, thanks.

Besides, I've been telling people about, watching, and rooting for Mahomes since he was in high school.  In addition to being a  great player he's a great kid and I like him, unlike Jerry.
Just shows you're a bandwagon fan. True fans of their teams stick with them even when those in charge aren't making the best decisions, and when the team aren't playing very well.

I'm just as much a cowboys fan as I am a Razorbacks fan. I always will be. I won't latch onto the chiefs or another team because they're winning more at the moment or have a player I like.... For the moment. I show loyalty for the team my dad, my brother's raised me to be loyal to.

The cowboys have rebuilt their team, that had fallen into a bad state. They're trending up, as evidenced by winning a playoff game finally. Their biggest talent are 25 or younger. So they have awhile to get better and better. Dak played awesome at MSU. He played great in his 1st year with Dallas. He has struggled some this season, but still got farther in the playoffs than they did his 1st year.

They get another big play, deep threat receiver and shore up their defense a little, and get Dak some good tutoring from a better QB coach, they will be fine.

Had Dallas had home field for 1st round bye, they probably would've went further. So I'm looking at long term picture here. Not short term. That's what true fans do. For the cowboys and the Hogs.

I don't know if Morris was a horrible coaching hire yet. You don't either even though you think you do based on one year.... Again... You show the patience and loyalty of a 5 year old. And while you're busy placing all your blame on Jerry Jones, you ignore the fact those in charge at Arkansas took action as they did based on the promises made from malzahn and his people that malzahn wanted to become HC of the Hogs.

Had malzahn not did what he did, the whole process surrounding the coaching search wouldn't went far differently. We might not have even gotten Jerry involved and had Morris in the mix.

Jeff Long was right to want to keep malzahn and his influence away from the Razorback program. All he is, is a user. And he personally recommended Morris when he made it known he was just using us. Malzahn holds more blame in this than Jones or anyone else. But you leave that out.

So do as you like, go be a chiefs fan. You'll probably try to climb back on board the cowboys when they get to the super bowl over the next year or so. That's what unloyal, bandwagon fans do.

EastexHawg

Just shows you're a bandwagon fan. True fans of their teams stick with them even when those in charge aren't making the best decisions, and when the team aren't playing very well.

I'm just as much a cowboys fan as I am a Razorbacks fan. I always will be. I won't latch onto the chiefs or another team because they're winning more at the moment or have a player I like.... For the moment. I show loyalty for the team my dad, my brother's raised me to be loyal to.

The cowboys have rebuilt their team, that had fallen into a bad state. They're trending up, as evidenced by winning a playoff game finally. Their biggest talent are 25 or younger. So they have awhile to get better and better. Dak played awesome at MSU. He played great in his 1st year with Dallas. He has struggled some this season, but still got farther in the playoffs than they did his 1st year.

They get another big play, deep threat receiver and shore up their defense a little, and get Dak some good tutoring from a better QB coach, they will be fine.

Had Dallas had home field for 1st round bye, they probably would've went further. So I'm looking at long term picture here. Not short term. That's what true fans do. For the cowboys and the Hogs.

I don't know if Morris was a horrible coaching hire yet. You don't either even though you think you do based on one year.... Again... You show the patience and loyalty of a 5 year old. And while you're busy placing all your blame on Jerry Jones, you ignore the fact those in charge at Arkansas took action as they did based on the promises made from malzahn and his people that malzahn wanted to become HC of the Hogs.

Had malzahn not did what he did, the whole process surrounding the coaching search wouldn't went far differently. We might not have even gotten Jerry involved and had Morris in the mix.

Jeff Long was right to want to keep malzahn and his influence away from the Razorback program. All he is, is a user. And he personally recommended Morris when he made it known he was just using us. Malzahn holds more blame in this than Jones or anyone else. But you leave that out.

So do as you like, go be a chiefs fan. You'll probably try to climb back on board the cowboys when they get to the super bowl over the next year or so. That's what unloyal, bandwagon fans do.

Yes, I was a bandwagon fan for 50 years.  Bandwagon.  Hilarious.  And...I'm required to continue to root for a man who has no principles, only "what's in this for me and my ego?"  Got a convict who I think might be able to rush the passer?  Sign him up!  Got someone who gave his all for me for over a decade but I want to replace...but I don't want him to go somewhere else and embarrass me, bringing my decision making into question and hurting my ego?  I'll just end his career!

Apparently I should congratulate Jerry on having more money than anyone else was willing to spend so he could commandeer than Arkansas coaching search.  I bet there was no quid pro quo involved in any of that, either.  You can figure out what I might be talking about if you try real hard.

As for Mahomes, I have been watching him since he became the starting quarterback at Whitehouse.  Before that, actually.  We also watched in joy as one of his predecessors at Whitehouse, Luke Shivers, scored a TD for TCU against Bielema and Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.  When we couldn't watch Patrick we listened to his games on the radio.  Does that give you any clue that maybe, just maybe, we have reasons to follow and root for him other than seeing him throw a no look pass or appear on Gruden's QB show?

McKdaddy

I tend to feel as you do, that I stick w/ a team no matter.  But I'm stubborn that way.  I took pride in wearing my Cowboys gear when the team was 1-15, and took quite a mocking for it from my buddies, ha/ha!  But, I have a good buddy in Tulsa, w/ no UA connection or Hog fandom, that had been a Cowboys fan since 1960, but dropped them like a rock w/ how Jerry unceremoniously dumped Landry.  I disagreed w/ my buddy, but I couldn't really argue his feelings.  We both felt it was time for Landry to go, but how it was handled was a moment my buddy couldn't/wouldn't get over.

EastexHawg

But, I have a good buddy in Tulsa, w/ no UA connection or Hog fandom, that had been a Cowboys fan since 1960, but dropped them like a rock w/ how Jerry unceremoniously dumped Landry.  I disagreed w/ my buddy, but I couldn't really argue his feelings.  We both felt it was time for Landry to go, but how it was handled was a moment my buddy couldn't/wouldn't get over.

I didn't fault Jerry for firing Landry even though we all loved him.  He, Tex Schramm, and Gil Brandt were the Cowboys and built the franchise under an owner who stayed out of their way and let the people who knew what they were doing run the football operation.  But, it was Jerry's team and part of owning a team is being able to hire the coach you want.  On top of that Jimmy was the perfect man for the job.  That Jerry just happened to play with him at Arkansas is one of the great blessings of his life.

But...he did it the right way with Landry.  He cut him loose, no strings attached.  He didn't sign him to a contract and then say, "You are never going to coach this team again, but I'm going to hedge my bets and keep your rights so you can't coach anywhere else, either."  Actually if he had done that with Landry people might have been able to say, "Well, at least Landry didn't dedicate years of his life to Jerry so he didn't really owe him any loyalty."

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian

Yes, I was a bandwagon fan for 50 years.  Bandwagon.  Hilarious.  And...I'm required to continue to root for a man who has no principles, only "what's in this for me and my ego?"  Got a convict who I think might be able to rush the passer?  Sign him up!  Got someone who gave his all for me for over a decade but I want to replace...but I don't want him to go somewhere else and embarrass me, bringing my decision making into question and hurting my ego?  I'll just end his career!

Apparently I should congratulate Jerry on having more money than anyone else was willing to spend so he could commandeer than Arkansas coaching search.  I bet there was no quid pro quo involved in any of that, either.  You can figure out what I might be talking about if you try real hard.

As for Mahomes, I have been watching him since he became the starting quarterback at Whitehouse.  Before that, actually.  We also watched in joy as one of his predecessors at Whitehouse, Luke Shivers, scored a TD for TCU against Bielema and Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.  When we couldn't watch Patrick we listened to his games on the radio.  Does that give you any clue that maybe, just maybe, we have reasons to follow and root for him other than seeing him throw a no look pass or appear on Gruden's QB show?
And you completely ignored everything I said about the malzahn aspect of this. Everything regarding the coaching search is handled differently had Gus malzahn not been involved. I'm not excusing Jerry's involvement at all. But those in charge we're willing to quite literally burn the UofA to the ground to get malzahn. And that's something you just don't do.

You don't a rivals HC to set terms on getting him to come there. Not to the point of saying you have to fire the AD to get me to come.

Then you let him basically pick Morris to be our HC? True enough with Jones involvement too. But this is on malzahn more than Jones. But I doubt you'll admit that.

EastexHawg

And you completely ignored everything I said about the malzahn aspect of this. Everything regarding the coaching search is handled differently had Gus malzahn not been involved. I'm not excusing Jerry's involvement at all. But those in charge we're willing to quite literally burn the UofA to the ground to get malzahn. And that's something you just don't do.

You don't a rivals HC to set terms on getting him to come there. Not to the point of saying you have to fire the AD to get me to come.

Then you let him basically pick Morris to be our HC? True enough with Jones involvement too. But this is on malzahn more than Jones. But I doubt you'll admit that.

Malzahn wasn't the only candidate.  Norvell wanted the job.  Mike Leach was apparently very interested.  So was Lane Kiffin.  Jerry blew all that up and pushed through the local boy from his adopted hometown of Dallas.  That's what Jerry does, he gets his way.  Maybe someday Morris will be able to repay him.  What could he possibly do to show his gratitude? 

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian

Easttex is a scorned ex-lover and likes to ignore facts. Y’all are just wasting your breath.

Is it 2023 yet? Mahomes better get a restraining order in the meantime.

EastexHawg

Easttex is a scorned ex-lover and likes to ignore facts. Y’all are just wasting your breath.

Is it 2023 yet? Mahomes better get a restraining order in the meantime.

Excellent.  Enjoy playing Putt Putt or getting a pedicure next Sunday afternoon.  You should have a recurring appointment after 23 years.

Tommy

• Varsity
  • You ever heard a Bobo? Well you’s lookin at him

Malzahn wasn't the only candidate.  Norvell wanted the job.  Mike Leach was apparently very interested.  So was Lane Kiffin.  Jerry blew all that up and pushed through the local boy from his adopted hometown of Dallas.  That's what Jerry does, he gets his way.  Maybe someday Morris will be able to repay him.  What could he possibly do to show his gratitude?

You’re both right

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian

Either you're not understanding what I'm saying, or you're intentionally trying to ignore what I'm saying because you don't like what I said. Let me try one more time....

A normal coaching search starts with the current AD firing the HC if he isn't doing his job. Then either the current AD fires the HC, then hires a new 1, or a process is put in place where the AD is terminated, then a new AD fires the HC, and hires his replacement.  Usually with an in depth coaching search. That wasn't how things went down here, if a bunch of the talk going on at the time is true.... By many accounts,  malzahns handlers put the word out he was ready to come back home, and become Arkansas HC, but only if Jeff Long is fired.

So Long gets fired, and a tentative time table was laid out for when he would decide to leave Auburn.

Then after Long was fired, Malzahn used the talk of him returning to Arkansas as leverage to negotiate a long term fat deal with Auburn. So after he supposedly got what he wanted, from the UofA and then turned them down, malzahn then supposedly was asked for a name of a HC he's recommend that ran an offense the most like him. Malzahn recommended Chad Morris. Then Jerry Jones got involved. This all started with the user and manipulator that is Gus malzahn. If not for him, things may have turned out much differently.

You want to place all the blame on Jerry Jones? You're blaming the wrong guy. I'm not saying Jones doesn't deserve any of the blame for getting involved. He should've stayed out of it. But malzahn started this. And you still won't admit it, nor have the same amount of anger at him as you do Jerry Jones. The way things were done was all wrong.

My hope is, however the Morris situation works itself out, that the ptb at Arkansas will never have anything to do with malzahn ever again.

Morris may still wind up being successful at Arkansas. We can't know one way or the other after one year, as bad as it was. But Jones involvement in the whole thing, whatever it was, won't make me love the cowboys any less. Because I was born a cowboys fan.

If I'm going to quit being a cowboys fan, I might as well stop being a Hog fan too. And that's not gonna happen.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian

Either you're not understanding what I'm saying, or you're intentionally trying to ignore what I'm saying because you don't like what I said. Let me try one more time....

A normal coaching search starts with the current AD firing the HC if he isn't doing his job. Then either the current AD fires the HC, then hires a new 1, or a process is put in place where the AD is terminated, then a new AD fires the HC, and hires his replacement.  Usually with an in depth coaching search. That wasn't how things went down here, if a bunch of the talk going on at the time is true.... By many accounts,  malzahns handlers put the word out he was ready to come back home, and become Arkansas HC, but only if Jeff Long is fired.

So Long gets fired, and a tentative time table was laid out for when he would decide to leave Auburn.

Then after Long was fired, Malzahn used the talk of him returning to Arkansas as leverage to negotiate a long term fat deal with Auburn. So after he supposedly got what he wanted, from the UofA and then turned them down, malzahn then supposedly was asked for a name of a HC he's recommend that ran an offense the most like him. Malzahn recommended Chad Morris. Then Jerry Jones got involved. This all started with the user and manipulator that is Gus malzahn. If not for him, things may have turned out much differently.

You want to place all the blame on Jerry Jones? You're blaming the wrong guy. I'm not saying Jones doesn't deserve any of the blame for getting involved. He should've stayed out of it. But malzahn started this. And you still won't admit it, nor have the same amount of anger at him as you do Jerry Jones. The way things were done was all wrong.

My hope is, however the Morris situation works itself out, that the ptb at Arkansas will never have anything to do with malzahn ever again.

Morris may still wind up being successful at Arkansas. We can't know one way or the other after one year, as bad as it was. But Jones involvement in the whole thing, whatever it was, won't make me love the cowboys any less. Because I was born a cowboys fan.

If I'm going to quit being a cowboys fan, I might as well stop being a Hog fan too. And that's not gonna happen.

He’s intentionally ignoring without a doubt, most likely because you have valid points and he only knows how to divert to other points that interest him and have nothing to do with said valid points.

EastexHawg

What valid points?

Who was in charge at Arkansas when Long was fired?  No one?  Are you trying to say that no one was in charge, that the ship was careening out of control, and that Jerry merely rushed in to grab the wheel before it hit an iceberg?

And you really believe that?

Second, once it becomes apparent that Malzahn isn't going to take the job, who in his right mind lets a divisional opponent within the same conference pick his coach for him?  You say Malzahn is a scumbag who took advantage of us and that Arkansas should never have anything to do with him again.  Well...other than letting him pick our head coach, that is!

Oh, well, at least we got a 5'10", 175 pound quarterback out of the deal.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian

What valid points?

Who was in charge at Arkansas when Long was fired?  No one?  Are you trying to say that no one was in charge, that the ship was careening out of control, and that Jerry merely rushed in to grab the wheel before it hit an iceberg?

And you really believe that?

Second, once it becomes apparent that Malzahn isn't going to take the job, who in his right mind lets a divisional opponent within the same conference pick his coach for him?  You say Malzahn is a scumbag and that Arkansas should never have anything to do with him again.  Well...other than letting him pick our head coach, that is!

Oh, well, at least we got a 5'10", 175 pound quarterback out of the deal.
Who was in charge? You aren't aware of the chain of command, the power structure at the UofA? If not, maybe you should try to read up. Of course someone was in charge, quite a few that couldn't overcome their crush on malzahn long enough to get they were getting played.

And I said nothing about Jerry coming to the rescue. What I did say is malzahn started this, played the administration, possibly played Jones too.

And when have I ever thought it was a good idea for malzahn to pick our HC?? I didn't say or think it was. You're actually saying I stated stuff I never even said. All you're doing now is making stuff up. The whole UofA administration never should've elevated malzahn to the point that he'd have a say in anything the administration did. Especially giving him a say in the hiring of our next HC. They shouldn't have involved Jerry Jones either.

So maybe your anger is directed at the wrong people. Maybe it should be directed at the board of trustees at the UofA, and the chancellor that had a part in this. If you're being consistent that is.

But if you did that and acted the same way you have toward the Cowboys, you'd be finding another college football team and university to support. So are you going to do that? If so, why are you still posting on a hog message board? This is the fault of Gus malzahn for starting it and the UofA administration. Jerry did was he was allowed to do. Nothing more. So put the blame where it belongs if you're being consistent and honest.

Or just admit you're not being rational with who you're directing your anger at.

And again... Morris might wind up being a flop, or he might wind up turning us into a program like Clemson. We just don't know yet. Can't know based on just one year. Again, you think you've already got it figured out Morris was a big mistake and Jerry Jones is the person responsible. Now that's not rational thinking. That's irrational thinking.

EastexHawg

So after he supposedly got what he wanted, from the UofA and then turned them down, malzahn then supposedly was asked for a name of a HC he's recommend that ran an offense the most like him. Malzahn recommended Chad Morris. Then Jerry Jones got involved.

Read your own narrative.  Jerry Jones "got involved" because Gus Malzahn recommended Chad Morris.  How is that different than what I said?

And again...Jerry holds no position other than booster in Arkansas athletics.  Why is he "getting involved" in picking one coach over other candidates...based on the recommendation of the guy you said is a scalawag and who has already damaged the university, not to mention a man whose job is to beat Arkansas?

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis

Jerry doesn't seem to care , Jerry World is packed , The Star in Frisco is hosting State HS playoff games and he making money hand over fist.  Tim at the DMW agrees.

EastexHawg

I really do believe Jerry cares, it's just that he isn't as good at evaluating talent and making personnel moves as he thinks he is and his ego won't allow him to put someone who does know what he is doing in place.

I think he wants to win more than anything...well, maybe winning, being even more powerful and exalted in the NFL and Arkansas sports, and making more money are tied for first.  The shame of it is that if he would have simply handled the ownership function and let qualified people handle the football operation he would have won more.  At this point I think it might be a matter of him wanting to prove to everyone who has been critical of his style over the years that he can do it his way.  That's just an opinion, of course.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian

What a great day of football.  Contenders move on, pretenders go home.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas