Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Joe...  (Read 2633 times)

TheSportsGuy

Joe...
« on: January 12, 2019, 07:23:26 pm »

1st off, I can take any loss like tonight if we play as hard as we did tonight.  I'm beyond proud of them.  That was fun to watch.  Lsu is extremely solid.  I'm not sure what switch was turned on but wow.  Besides that, I Joe was the extreme weak point tonight.  Slow defense and inopportune turnovers and missed shot from him.  Color me surprised...  mike stayed with him to the end and I think he should've been taken out long before in favor of Sills.  But overall this game was fun and it bodes well the rest of the way if we can harness that energy and want-to every game

HogFaninMemphis

• Hogvillian
  • "Introibo ad altare Dei" -Psalm 42 (43)
Re: Joe...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 07:25:10 pm »

I agree with this. Sucks that we lost but fought hard. That energy will win games. Need to play a full game

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Razor_back

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 07:25:20 pm »

Missed free throws. 2 field goals. Turnovers. What has happened to him?

TheSportsGuy

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 07:26:21 pm »

Freshman wall perhaps...  mike needs to switch it up instead of live and doe by having a potential 3 ball at any time

Knot2brite

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 07:28:08 pm »

Joe is one of the focal points of SEC teams defenses and he doesnít have the experience nor the strength to overcome it yet

kaki

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 07:29:10 pm »

Joe's lack of strength seems to be really showing up, especially when he tries to drive.

InHOGuration Ball

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 07:29:31 pm »

1st off, I can take any loss like tonight if we play as hard as we did tonight.  I'm beyond proud of them.  That was fun to watch.  Lsu is extremely solid.  I'm not sure what switch was turned on but wow.  Besides that, I Joe was the extreme weak point tonight.  Slow defense and inopportune turnovers and missed shot from him.  Color me surprised...  mike stayed with him to the end and I think he should've been taken out long before in favor of Sills.  But overall this game was fun and it bodes well the rest of the way if we can harness that energy and want-to every game
  too many one dimensional players on the this team.   Other SEC teams have players that can penetrate, shoot, and play D.   We are lacking that...

Dominicanhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 07:34:14 pm »

he should've been taken out long before in favor of Sills. 

You gotta be kidding.. go look at Sills stats he's 0'fer in every game but one.. Sills is not the answer.. E-S maybe but not Sills... bad to worse..

TheSportsGuy

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 07:41:42 pm »

No I'm not kidding.  Yeah I'm aware his shots aren't falling but ssills brings at least another penetrator in the lane.  Joe....does not.  Tonight showed that.....and at a couple crucial times.  Wise up and think outside the "shooter's" box..

ShadowHawg

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 07:43:46 pm »

Joe can get in the lane. He has great handles is pretty athletic. He just isn't there mentally yet. He is struggling with the physicality of conference play.

Knot2brite

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 07:46:32 pm »

Joe can get in the lane. He has great handles is pretty athletic. He just isn't there mentally yet. He is struggling with the physicality of conference play.
He can get there but finishing is a problem at times. He is stick thin and needs a offseason falling in love with the weight room

TheSportsGuy

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 07:48:30 pm »

Sigh...

Letsroll1200

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 07:48:44 pm »

Joe giving up that three to Smart to start the overtime hurt. I just think he was tired.

TheSportsGuy

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 07:51:27 pm »

He seemed slow and while the others were hustling beyond anything I've seen from them, he seemed ok to be a step slow closing out or rotating or whatnot.  Beyond frustrating.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 08:00:24 pm »

No I'm not kidding.  Yeah I'm aware his shots aren't falling but ssills brings at least another penetrator in the lane.  Joe....does not.  Tonight showed that.....and at a couple crucial times.  Wise up and think outside the "shooter's" box..

I'd start E-S... let IJoe come off the bench for a while..

ShadowHawg

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 08:01:55 pm »

He can get there but finishing is a problem at times. He is stick thin and needs a offseason falling in love with the weight room

Agree

Dominicanhog

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 08:12:07 pm »

Joe giving up that three to Smart to start the overtime hurt. I just think he was tired.

That was a BIG 3... we never recovered.. and after playing great 2nd half defense..

TheSportsGuy

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 08:15:27 pm »

Based on his high school video and some flashes he has shown this season ES needs to base his game right now on driving in the lane.  He needs that confidence and I think that's his Avenue.  He was fantastic at that in high school.  Perfect body type with the long arms.  Stop settling for jump shots.  We got better tonight. It was fun again.

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 08:20:59 pm »

Good points.  He just doesn't seem quick enough off the dribble to beat his man.  He has the size so he just needs to work on his strength and maybe a jab step and something the defender will respect since he is a good outside shooter. 

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 08:53:57 pm »

Joe has lost a little confidence and the physicality of the SEC is bothering him big time. He has not developed the type of instincts needed on how to work for his shot. Show him tapes of Reggie Miller.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 08:56:03 pm »

The book is out on him. Stick to him, be physical.

He is learning what he will need to work on in the off season

cmrhawg

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 08:58:44 pm »

Love Joe, but he has been a liability on the court the past couple games.

SugarHillGaHog

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 09:05:32 pm »

The young man is what?  17-19 yrs old?  He started out with a bang and hasn't kept it up.  Few at that age are rock solid every day.  Hope he comes around soon.  The team needs him.

waphill

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 09:40:41 pm »

Watching him off the ball tonight, he appears to have absolutely no confidence left. He didn't want to touch it on the offensive end, and when he did get the ball, very timid.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 10:18:09 pm »

Watching him off the ball tonight, he appears to have absolutely no confidence left. He didn't want to touch it on the offensive end, and when he did get the ball, very timid.
I donít think itís a confidence issue. I think it has to do with LSU has some serious athletes that are built like football players and were determined to not let Joe get an open look. Doesnít help that our offense isnít good at getting shooters open. Not enough pump fakes or ball movement.  Plus we have some guys that are not scoring threats (Bailey) and defenses can cheat.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2019, 10:21:52 pm »

Time to bring him in off the bench.

Hawg Red

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2019, 10:24:39 pm »

Heís as weak of a player as Iíve seen in quite some time. He can shoot the hell out of the rock from 3, but he is very weak against pressure handling the ball and itís pathetic when he goes up close to the basket. Lot to work on. Donít think we need to pencil him in as two-and-done as some were.

I hope that he can flesh his game out and play stronger, but he looks like one of those dudes thatíll always be really skinny. This year will be good for all on the team in terms of mental toughness because they are learning some hard lessons early.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2019, 10:31:16 pm »

I donít think itís a confidence issue. I think it has to do with LSU has some serious athletes that are built like football players and were determined to not let Joe get an open look. Doesnít help that our offense isnít good at getting shooters open. Not enough pump fakes or ball movement.  Plus we have some guys that are not scoring threats (Bailey) and defenses can cheat.
He was well guarded all night long.

farfromgroovins

• Varsity
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2019, 10:33:01 pm »

Todd Day was always skinny.......Joe just needs to work on his game.  He's a frosh.

jchill

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2019, 10:34:17 pm »

Freaking Naz Reid was a little insane today. I could not believe the smooth stroke from three-point range. That guy will go to the league after this season and hopefully, Waters will follow him.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 10:40:52 pm »

Freaking Naz Reid was a little insane today. I could not believe the smooth stroke from three-point range. That guy will go to the league after this season and hopefully, Waters will follow him.
he is a freak. No doubt. Waters is one of the best pgs in the country. And I think Maze is pretty impressive too. LSU is really good but theyíll lose some games just because they arenít a disciplined team and canít bring the high energy every game.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 10:49:47 pm »

Joe has very weak ball-handling skills, i knew it wasn't his strength but he is weaker than I thought. We have to have his scoring, Jones and Gafford can't do it alone. As witnessed in the last 2 games, the rest of the team just are not going to score consistently at probably any point this season. Joe shoots way too good to be struggling this bad. He must be fatigued.

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2019, 07:58:03 am »

He was well guarded all night long.
He will be well guarded all season long.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2019, 08:20:03 am »

I like Joe. I lived in Fort Smith for 40+ years and know Joe and his family and I love his game and how well he was playing earier but right now he is not bringing his A game so why not limit his minutes in favor of someone who is producing more?   Not a permanent move but a move to develop competition.   That tells your players that if they are working their butt off in practice then they will get more minutes.

I do not know what is wrong with Joe?  Maybe a wall?  But Joe has played BB all his life so knows that playing time comes with production  and he has to earn those minutes?????  Apparently its Mike who does not understand that. Why are some players getting the same or more minutes when other players are playing better??   Mike must reward those who are producing in practice and games with more time with the 1s. 

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2019, 08:38:43 am »

Joe needs to add 20 pounds to his body, and an off the bounce game to keep defenders honest. He doesn't necessarily have to go all the way to the rim, but just a floater like Dusty had.

rmcchris

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2019, 09:06:52 am »

Joe is the product of scouting by the our opponents as we enter into SEC play.  Can't handle the ball very well, can't put it on the floor and drive to score very well. Put a big/stronger body up tight on him. I love his shooting ability but he is a liability on the floor at this time and in Mike's scheme.  I was at the game and I'm not sure about fun to watch.  Effort was there at times.  At times not, especially on defense.  Go watch the film and count the uncontested layups or dunks. Around 30 points worth by my estimate.  So not such a good effort on defense and anytime you give up 94.  Sure they have talent, but so do a lot of other teams.  If you listen to Mike's postgame or show on Sunday night, you would think we won the game.  We are done as far as a tournament bid and that should be our standard.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2019, 10:23:52 am »

The good early-season defense has disappeared. Back to our perennial problem of not being able to sustain good player rotations. Sub for offense, the defense wilts. Sub for defense, can't score. We choose scoring and get shelled.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2019, 11:41:40 am »

I really felt Joe let his issues on offense affect his game on defense. We got to  get Joe going or guys like Sills, Simpson, and Chaney have to produce at a high level if we don't. Keyshawn is 10-41 from 3 (24%) and 20-65 from the field. Somebody from the coaching staff should let Key know that he is 10-24 from inside the three point line.  You're 41% inside the 3 point line, lets try to get higher percentage baskets.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2019, 11:57:47 am »

I really felt Joe let his issues on offense affect his game on defense. We got to  get Joe going or guys like Sills, Simpson, and Chaney have to produce at a high level if we don't. Keyshawn is 10-41 from 3 (24%) and 20-65 from the field. Somebody from the coaching staff should let Key know that he is 10-24 from inside the three point line.  You're 41% inside the 3 point line, lets try to get higher percentage baskets.
That's more attempts than I thought for KES.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2019, 02:22:14 pm »

Todd Day was always skinny.......Joe just needs to work on his game.  He's a frosh.

Todd Day was among the top 10 high school freshmen in the U.S. when he was coming out. And 6-foot-8 and a terrific basketball player with all the skills.

daprospecta

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2019, 02:43:26 pm »

Joe needs to add 20 pounds to his body, and an off the bounce game to keep defenders honest. He doesn't necessarily have to go all the way to the rim, but just a floater like Dusty had.
Dusty added his ability to get to the rim and it paid dividends for him. Joe is more athletic and taller so I don't see why he can't make it happen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas