• 10,227,452 Posts
• 406,708 Topics
• 23,288 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What era is/was the lowest point in UA history? (For the big 3 sports combined.)  (Read 1943 times)

mj4president

Seebs

WWII

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis

WW2.

mj4president

Excluding then lol

EastexHawg

Today.  We are coming off our first ever ten loss season and are without question the worst football program in our conference.  We're working on our longest streak in history without a conference championship in basketball and have our fewest NCAA appearances and tournament wins in a ten year period since the tournament expanded to 32 teams, much less 64. 

Baseball is strong, but in reality college baseball is insignificant compared to football and basketball.  No one has an office pool for the College World Series, much less the regionals and supers.

Hogdomer

Today.  We are coming off our first ever ten loss season and are without question the worst football program in our conference.  We're working on our longest streak in history without a conference championship in basketball and have our fewest NCAA appearances and tournament wins in a ten year period since the tournament expanded to 32 teams, much less 64. 

Baseball is strong, but in reality college baseball is insignificant compared to football and basketball.  No one has an office pool for the College World Series, much less the regionals and supers.

100% correct.

mj4president

I feel like we've lost an entire generation with how terrible we've been. Kids in my extended family cheer for Bama or Auburn.

EastexHawg

I feel like we've lost an entire generation with how terrible we've been. Kids in my extended family cheer for Bama or Auburn.

But Jeff Long is a GREAT AD...he's on a committee, for goodness sakes...and only a mouth breathing moron wouldn't see how lucky we are to have him

justmakeit2thebcs

1972-74.....Basketball was way under .500,  Football and baseball were barely above it.

orvillesghost

If you look at all sports probably the early 50s or 72-74

But I will agree with an earlier poster, we are losing an entire generation of fans, my nephews range in age from 13 to 25 and none of them care a thing about Arkansas. They either follow the pros or root for Alabama.

Justifiable Hogicide

2-10

RyanMallettsEgo

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Take it easy, I'm pre-law.

But Jeff Long is a GREAT AD...he's on a committee, for goodness sakes...and only a mouth breathing moron wouldn't see how lucky we are to have him

Remind me, where's Bobby coaching now?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...

::hornsdown::

Are we not coming out of it 1 sport at a time..?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian

You forgot to use the [/sarcasm] font...

Bacons Rebellion

• I'm a llama!

WWII

Not really.

Arkansas Razorback basketball
1939 9-3, 18-5
1940 6-6, 12-10
1941 12-0, 20-3, Conference Champion, NCAA Final Four
1942 10-2, 19-4,  Conference Champions
1943 8-4, 19-7
1944 11-1, 16-8. Conference Champions
1945 9-3, 17-9, NCAA Final Four

EastexHawg

One man was responsible for all Arkansas men's sports for a decade...and it wasn't Bobby.  Long was a disaster who unfortunately got to just about finish off Arkansas, especially football, before finally being fired.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Take it easy, I'm pre-law.

One man was responsible for all Arkansas men's sports for a decade...and it wasn't Bobby.  Long was a disaster who unfortunately got to just about finish off Arkansas, especially football, before finally being fired.

Yeah, I forgot his job was to coach every team as well.

LRrazorback

Yeah, I forgot his job was to coach every team as well.

He just hired them to coach

Andrew Hogfan

We do one at my work

Hog are ya

Deleted

Ohh man... Post kind of scares me but I must admit, makes me laugh, and kinda of say, yeah.... you're kind of right....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 07:09:39 am by 007 License To Squeal »

Hawghiggs

If you look at all sports probably the early 50s or 72-74

But I will agree with an earlier poster, we are losing an entire generation of fans, my nephews range in age from 13 to 25 and none of them care a thing about Arkansas. They either follow the pros or root for Alabama.

That's because a lot of Arkansas fans would rather lose and cheer for the SEC. Then to win and be in a different conference.

007 License To Squeal

• Global Moderator
  • Fmr USAF Combat Crew Titan II Launch Crew Member

What did Lou Holtz say?  "It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from there" (paraphrased)....
This is lowest in my lifetime, imo.

RacinRazorback

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

As a lifetime Razorback hardcore fan for over 50 years, the current situation with the bb and fb programs are such a downer for me! When Frank passed was it the end of AR sports being at least competitive?? Young fans just don't have anything positive to go back to. I can go back in time and remember the Sutton days, Then the Nolan days, the Petrino days, the the DMac days! Young fans have nothing to reflect back on and be positive about! WPS, love me some hogs, but it can be tough being a fan these days!

Superhog1959

As a lifetime Razorback hardcore fan for over 50 years, the current situation with the bb and fb programs are such a downer for me! When Frank passed was it the end of AR sports being at least competitive?? Young fans just don't have anything positive to go back to. I can go back in time and remember the Sutton days, Then the Nolan days, the Petrino days, the the DMac days! Young fans have nothing to reflect back on and be positive about! WPS, love me some hogs, but it can be tough being a fan these days!
If you have been a hog fan for 50+ years, theres a good chance at some point we walked right past each other. Its nice to finally be able to say hi.

It would be hard for me to pin point a certain low period, as there have been many. I remember going to Walmart after the 69 game with Texas. There were people that were crying, or you could tell they had been crying. Even grown men.That was pretty low, as we were 1 play from a NC. Walmart used to play the games over the intercom back in those days.

When Kenny left, we got bad in football. I liked Kenny, but he sat our program back many years, by bolting to Clemson with out notice.

Suffering through the Heath and Pel years was tough. It got so bad I couldn't and didn't even want to watch them.

I was excited about Bobby P. Then in one day it was all taken away.

When it became apparent what BB turned into. That was pretty low.

It would be hard to just say there was a certain time of rock bottom low because there have been many. As I look back at these low times, I started thinking about my life. It is almost a parallel. If you live long enough, all people will have hard, low times. I have always believed its not what happens in your life, its how you handle it. I have had to remind myself that a few times, because its easier to say this when things are good.
I believe attitude is a important thing in life. If you have a good attitude, desire to improve and accomplish, at some point you will be successful. If you don't ever fail in life, then your not trying hard enough.

We are going through some tough times in football, basketball to a degree. Now is the time to stand up, get tough, face these challenges, become better. You can lay down and die or get up and try. We need to unite as a team, become stronger from what we have endured. Quite feeling sorry for ourselves and do something about it. If you give 100% of what you have, you may not always win, but in the end you will at some point succeed.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!

I can tell you what makes this go away for a while. Take your kids,somebody elses kid, a friend..... to a game up there,go on Friday and tour the campus,look at all the new facilities, then start at Dickson st. where it hits the 4 way walking stop up in the campus and walk all the way down.

Along the way point out all the historical milestones, stop in the book store,point out georges,point out where we carried the goalposts after Tennessee,point out how electric it was after beating Texas,Bama,Tennessee.......,Remember ALL the championship teams and those who came close.MANY,MANY incredible seasons with many all americans. Ask Dan Hampton if we can return to glory, The Crockets, the Lindseys, the Jones..... Go eat a burger somewhere on Dickson then that night, return! Show em the stadium all lit up and feel the football in the air.(fife music like in Green acres). And Know " We will be back"

RacinRazorback

• Varsity

I have done part of what you suggest with my daughter and nephew and it was a great experience for them to see the long history of the Razorbacks! Now I will take it a step further the next game I take them to! Great suggestions  and I appreciate them and will use them in the future!! Thanks!

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

We taught the ones in my family to be more loyal..............Heck I have a two year old nephew that can call the Hogs.

Hogs-n-Roses

I have done part of what you suggest with my daughter and nephew and it was a great experience for them to see the long history of the Razorbacks! Now I will take it a step further the next game I take them to! Great suggestions  and I appreciate them and will use them in the future!! Thanks!
There's a bunch of negative hype amongst our fans. I've even fell into it myself at times. All has been self destruction(IE we did it to ourselves) no matter the issue, we caused the declines. The other side is, all that was listed above and more. We are a sleeping monster.

007 License To Squeal

• Global Moderator
  • Fmr USAF Combat Crew Titan II Launch Crew Member

There's a bunch of negative hype amongst our fans. I've even fell into it myself at times. All has been self destruction(IE we did it to ourselves) no matter the issue, we caused the declines. The other side is, all that was listed above and more. We are a sleeping monster.

I respectfully disagree.....So the fans are responsible for the actions of Jeff Long?

Piggfoot

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hog Table top cooker

Long picked up where John White left off. Long was a White Clone and a liar at that talking about how well the program was doing academically.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....

Any year you are within a caught ball of a National Title in a Big 3 sport is not the low ebb. 

alohawg

I'm pushing 56 and don't recall a lower point in my life. The good news is it won't take much success to infuse hope and that's always something.

wildturkey8

Any year you are within a caught ball of a National Title in a Big 3 sport is not the low ebb. 
That caught ball that was not, only adds to the narrative.  I'm so tired of people who pretend to be in the know telling the Arkansas fanbase to lower their sights.  This has been a constant for the last 6 going on 7 years.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..

Individually, the low point for baseball in the modern era was 3-4 years ago when the team lost something like the last 15 games to end the season.

Basketball: most of the Heath and Pelphrey reigns of error. Pel got everyone's hopes up by beating OU and Texas back to back when both were in the Top 10, then crapped the bed with a 2-14 record in conference. I would have to go with that season if you can't list the entire Pel Era.

Football: there have been a number of low points in my memory, the early 90s, 96-97, 2004-05, the Nuttless constant drama, the bike, 2012-13 but nothing tops 2-10.

Hopefully the old sayings about it's darkest before the dawn and you have to hit bottom etc hold true.

As far as all three at the same time, now is not exactly Shangri-la, but baseball had a great season that was one out short of a NC and as inconsistent as the BB team is, they do have a winning record. For now.

I'd go with 2012 as far as all three combined. I don't recall what the baseball team did, but the football stunk pretty badly after starting the season in the Top 10 and basketball won 19 but stayed home IIRC.

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes

Big 3.... football season, off season, and cruitin.

Well, at least cruitin season seems to be on the uptick.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian

That's because a lot of Arkansas fans would rather lose and cheer for the SEC. Then to win and be in a different conference.

No dude.... It's simple. Read slowly and multiple times if necessary:
Arkansas fans would rather work to become the best where the best play instead of going to a playground with smaller kids and being a bully.!! You're desire to run indicates a wrinkle in your character that you may want to pray about...

Hogs-n-Roses

I respectfully disagree.....So the fans are responsible for the actions of Jeff Long?
No, not at all. There was just a very vocal and borderline arrogant contingent who supported "FULLY" jeff long and really have yet to let themselves be held accountable. Some how they just sleased by, never said "I'm wrong" and just transitioned over to now behind the "I just support the team/university" ya'll are really wrong for speaking out against what we have going on now. They have slid/slimed into the fanbase/message boards/talk radio and were taking shots at the new hire before he had hardly hit the ground here. The Nuttzi's did the same, and to be fair I've been guilty of the same or something in that neighborhood before.

To be clear on your question. I hold Jeff Long responsible for the destruction of our football program. Not the fans. And the fans are in no way responsible for Jeff Long. Hopefully, 20 years from now, he will be a positive. We would have learned from that mistake and will never repeat anything associated with he or his policies.

LZH

No, not at all. There was just a very vocal and borderline arrogant contingent who supported "FULLY" jeff long and really have yet to let themselves be held accountable. Some how they just sleased by, never said "I'm wrong" and just transitioned over to now behind the "I just support the team/university" ya'll are really wrong for speaking out against what we have going on now. They have slid/slimed into the fanbase/message boards/talk radio and were taking shots at the new hire before he had hardly hit the ground here. The Nuttzi's did the same, and to be fair I've been guilty of the same or something in that neighborhood before.

To be clear on your question. I hold Jeff Long responsible for the destruction of our football program. Not the fans. And the fans are in no way responsible for Jeff Long. Hopefully, 20 years from now, he will be a positive. We would have learned from that mistake and will never repeat anything associated with he or his policies.

I fell for the 'Long shot' myself.  I think the problem with alot of programs these days is they are hiring business grads, salesmen, fundraisers, instead of old football coaches who can actually spot coaching talent and guide them during the rough patches.  These new AD's are not football savvy enough to be worth a stuff if a HC comes to them with a problem, much less have a feel for the athletic department as a whole....they look at revenue streams, not wins/losses.  That sounded great until we began looking like Ned in the first reader.

Hawgphish

My son is 21.  He leaves to go back to college tomorrow.  For the first time in his life, we are passing on watching the hogs to watch NFL.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.

The Bert Era is by far the worst

hawgmasta

• I have to return some videotapes.

This is what hurts the most, my little cousins and sons have never seen Arkansas do anything. They seem to be fans just because I keep buying them Arkansas paraphernalia lol

WampusHog

• Band Nerd

It's getting exhausting trying to explain to my out of state, newly minted, Hog fans at the University that Arkansas used to be good in the big three sports. Hate that they don't any McFadden, Petrino, etc. memories to hold onto. We did get to go to Omaha twice last summer though so that was nice at least.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When God made me, he broke the mold of perfection.

Care to make a wager that Petrino doesn't get a Major 5 head football coaching job within two years ?  I say he does. What do you say ?  I'd give your left nut if he came back and coached the Hogs one day. You see all of the beautiful facilities we have now ? What coach instilled the confidence and success to the big donors to create to drop major cash to build our top shelf football facilities ?  I think if you are honest with yourself you know it was Petrino's success which kick-started every single one of the football operations make overs. The 2010 season and the 2011 season did the trick. And that was all Bobby. Hate him all you choose. But without him, all those neat buildings and ultra modern facilities within would never be on the UA campus.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When God made me, he broke the mold of perfection.

What did Lou Holtz say?  "It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from there" (paraphrased)....
This is lowest in my lifetime, imo.
Hear, hear.

Con el Cerdos

People do like identifying with sports winners, without doubt.  I know I do.

Maybe that makes us a sick society, letting sports rule a big, or maybe a large part of our lives.

As for the "low point era," in my mind it started with the 1990, football season and still living it today. 

So, with an exception or two in the Nutt and Petrino years, our football program has been in the dumper since Ken walked out on Broyles after the 1989 season.

LZH

People do like identifying with sports winners, without doubt.  I know I do.

Maybe that makes us a sick society, letting sports rule a big, or maybe a large part of our lives.

As for the "low point era," in my mind it started with the 1990, football season and still living it today. 

So, with an exception or two in the Nutt and Petrino years, our football program has been in the dumper since Ken walked out on Broyles after the 1989 season.

Every game being on TV helps the teams who are winning reel in the kids as fans.

Don't even get me started about some other reasons I'm convinced of.

There may be lower points in Arkansas history where the sports programs were just worse than now, but it wasn't during a time period where media knew everything and reported it immediately and where the cost of the programs was at its highest.  And it didn't come during a time where expectations were waaaaay above results.

White followed by Long during a time when folks like that wielded great power and were too stupid to properly utilize it is why we are where we are.  Many Hog fans backed these idiots to the fullest.  Just shows how good, intelligent people can be suckered.  Reminds me of the current President of the US situation.

LZH

There may be lower points in Arkansas history where the sports programs were just worse than now, but it wasn't during a time period where media knew everything and reported it immediately and where the cost of the programs was at its highest.  And it didn't come during a time where expectations were waaaaay above results.

White followed by Long during a time when folks like that wielded great power and were too stupid to properly utilize it is why we are where we are.  Many Hog fans backed these idiots to the fullest.  Just shows how good, intelligent people can be suckered.  Reminds me of the current President of the US situation.

You make a good point and something that goes with what I noticed during fat boy's last couple of years.  The 247/espn/rivals/whoever internet recruiting ratings give alot of folks instant and endless reason to think major success is just a year or two away.....over and over and over.  "We sucked last year, but look at the class Coach so-and-so is bringing in - look at all these 4-stars".

oldhawg

You make a good point and something that goes with what I noticed during fat boy's last couple of years.  The 247/espn/rivals/whoever internet recruiting ratings give alot of folks instant and endless reason to think major success is just a year or two away.....over and over and over.  "We sucked last year, but look at the class Coach so-and-so is bringing in - look at all these 4-stars".

Well, it does profer more hope than saying, "Look at all the three stars that coach so-and-so signed."  In spite of what people say and think, there is a correlation between numbers of stars and success.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas