• 10,650,799 Posts
• 417,577 Topics
• 24,467 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chicago  (Read 2558 times)

hillbilly

Chicago
« on: January 09, 2019, 11:07:46 am »

Going up to Chicago in June for a Cubs game. I feel like I have seen a thread for Chicago before but I couldn't find it. Any tips for a good place to stay, really good food spots, or anything else I should do while I am there? Going to take the lady friend with me as well so I guess that should be considered in the suggestions, ha! Thanks for any info you guys have.

HawgWild

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Left lane, Hey!? Where’s my hammer?
Re: Chicago
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 05:37:27 pm »

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ricepig

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 06:32:51 pm »

On my last visit up to see my son, I ate at these two. I recommend Gene and Georgetti for steaks, and Il Porcello for Italian, both of those are in the River North area.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The People’s Mod
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 07:29:29 pm »

Go to george street pub. Ask for ali or dana.

Junkyard Hog

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 08:36:57 pm »

The river architecture cruise is awesome.

hawkhawg

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 09:28:31 pm »

This

hillbilly

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 12:32:15 pm »

Thanks, guys! I appreciate all the info and tips.

The_Hog_Father

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 12:39:16 pm »

Thanks, guys! I appreciate all the info and tips.

If you need anymore tips, just pm me. When I’m in Chicago, I live in the loop on Monroe not even a block from the Palmer House. Tell me what you like, where you’re staying, when, etc and I will hook you up.

hillbilly

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 12:17:18 pm »

This
Which cruise did you guys go on, or do you recommend going on? I have seen that there are a few different ones. The Odyssey looks pretty nice, wasn't sure how it compared to any others.

HawgWild

• Left lane, Hey!? Where’s my hammer?
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 01:58:48 pm »

We took one but I have no idea on the name. The river isn't that long, I would think they would all be similar. Chicago has much better architecture than New York IMO. One of my favorite views was from the corner of Michigan Avenue and Lower Wacker Drive looking north across the river at the Wrigley building.

Junkyard Hog

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 02:37:54 pm »

Which cruise did you guys go on, or do you recommend going on? I have seen that there are a few different ones. The Odyssey looks pretty nice, wasn't sure how it compared to any others.

https://www.cruisechicago.com/architecture-tours

Pretty sure this was the one.

kibster

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 03:43:26 pm »

Au Cheval for the burger.

yraciv

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 03:56:34 pm »

Au Cheval for the burger.

No reservations though, so come early to get your name on the list.

kibster

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 08:01:13 pm »

No reservations though, so come early to get your name on the list.

Truth. But so worth t.

kibster

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 11:07:27 pm »

I just booked a long weekend trip in May (mainly for food).  Any suggestions on hotels? I am looking at the Langham, but haven't pulled the trigger.  Open to other suggestions.

Junkyard Hog

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 10:16:20 am »

We stayed at Kimpton Gray.  It was nice, clean, and within walking distance to several attractions, including Hamilton.

hogwild6700

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2019, 09:38:48 pm »

Must do the Architecture Tour and so see the show Second City while you're there.

kibster

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2019, 10:41:32 pm »

Must do the Architecture Tour and so see the show Second City while you're there.

Thanks. Wife wants to do a river architecture tour as well as second city.

When we travel, I make a spreadsheet of when and where we are eating, and I let her fill in everything else.

The_Hog_Father

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2019, 11:42:54 pm »

Thanks. Wife wants to do a river architecture tour as well as second city.

When we travel, I make a spreadsheet of when and where we are eating, and I let her fill in everything else.

For the best food/architecture River tour book with these guys:
https://www.odysseycruises.com/chicago/cruises/dinner/chicago-river

hillbilly

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 10:13:52 am »

I was torn on what to do for our cruise we are taking in June, but we decided on the Lake Michigan option. Both looked really nice though.

kibster

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 10:16:04 am »

Do you know a good architecture tour that isn't centered around food? (I already have all of my reservations made for food).

EconHawg

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2019, 03:01:16 pm »

I'm a big fan of The Purple Pig on Michigan. Its a pretty unique menu.

Dillar Dog

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2019, 12:09:39 pm »

Go to george street pub. Ask for ali or dana.

And then what?

The_Hog_Father

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2019, 01:17:33 pm »

Do you know a good architecture tour that isn't centered around food? (I already have all of my reservations made for food).

If food is not that important, I would guess they are all pretty similar. I’ll ask around and see what friends suggest that have gone on the different tours and hit you back.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The People’s Mod
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2019, 10:11:11 am »

And then what?

Then eat like a pig.  We're going back up in august for the air and water show again.  We had a blast last year. 

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2019, 11:45:08 am »

Going up to Chicago in June for a Cubs game. I feel like I have seen a thread for Chicago before but I couldn't find it. Any tips for a good place to stay, really good food spots, or anything else I should do while I am there? Going to take the lady friend with me as well so I guess that should be considered in the suggestions, ha! Thanks for any info you guys have.

Stay at the Palmer House. Do the river architecture cruise (buy a couple of drinks on board).  Eat at Gene and Georgetti's and/or Gibson's Bar & Steakhouse on Rush, have a Pizza at Pizano's, Uno or Lou Malnati's, see a show at the Chicago Theatre a short walk up from the Palmer House, tour a museum like the Field.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2019, 11:47:42 am »

I just booked a long weekend trip in May (mainly for food).  Any suggestions on hotels? I am looking at the Langham, but haven't pulled the trigger.  Open to other suggestions.

Palmer House.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2019, 11:53:29 am »

Stay at the Palmer House. Do the river architecture cruise (buy a couple of drinks on board).  Eat at Gene and Georgetti's and/or Gibson's Bar & Steakhouse on Rush, have a Pizza at Pizano's, Uno or Lou Malnati's, see a show at the Chicago Theatre a short walk up from the Palmer House, tour a museum like the Field.

Dang, That is pretty solid I must say. 

Dillar Dog

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2019, 12:41:13 pm »

Then eat like a pig.  We're going back up in august for the air and water show again.  We had a blast last year. 

I would have to ask for someone specific for that to happen? 

kibster

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2019, 01:29:59 pm »

Thanks,  I do love Pizano's pizza.  Looks like we will be hitting up the Chicago Art Institute. 

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2019, 01:31:33 pm »

Thanks,  I do love Pizano's pizza.  Looks like we will be hitting up the Chicago Art Institute.

Jim gave some good tips, and I don't know Jim at all.  it was solid.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The People’s Mod
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2019, 01:40:51 pm »

I would have to ask for someone specific for that to happen? 

Nah, I just met them when we were up there and they take really good care of their customers.  Really nice folks. 

kibster

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2019, 01:56:17 pm »

Any thoughts on Second City?

kibster

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2019, 01:57:11 pm »

Here is the food line-up so far:

Lunch: Au Cheval and Pequod's
Brunch: Etta
Dinner: Smyth, Elske, and Roister

hillbilly

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2019, 02:11:36 pm »

Flying out in 1 week. Can't wait!

The_Hog_Father

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2019, 02:35:41 pm »

Flying out in 1 week. Can't wait!

Have fun man! Report back!

hillbilly

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2019, 04:33:50 pm »

Will do! Still open to any last minute suggestions or tips that haven't been mentioned on here yet. Thanks guys!

kibster

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2019, 05:55:44 pm »

We had a blast in Chicago.  I went mainly for particular restaurants, but did some non-food things as well (river architecture tour, Hancock observation deck, Second City).

hillbilly

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2019, 07:04:58 am »

We had a blast in Chicago.  I went mainly for particular restaurants, but did some non-food things as well (river architecture tour, Hancock observation deck, Second City).
What restaurants did you go to that you thought are must see places?

Cleve Dean

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2019, 08:10:31 am »

One of my favorite Italian restaurants:

https://www.saporitrattoria.net/

And there's a nice hole-in-the-wall bar across the street:

http://aliveone.com/

About a mile from Wrigley.

twistitup

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2019, 08:13:51 am »

The_Hog_Father

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2019, 12:23:45 pm »

:o
Im in

Au Cheval is outstanding, but timing is everything unless you want to wait an 1-3 hours for a table. Another option is to go to Small Cheval, which has a pared down menu and usually no wait. SC does not offer the egg on top nor the pork belly as toppings, if that is important to you and honestly you should definitely try it, then you should arrive at AC 30-45 minutes before the kitchen opens.

I haven’t tried the Italian restaurant above but it sounds really good, will definitely try it but I have another killer option that is in the west loop, Monteverde.

http://monteverdechicago.com

One of the Chefs on Staff is a friend that I made while he worked at Filippo’s on Clybourn, two storefronts down from Pequod’s. Filippo’s was the best, made from scratch, Italian food that you could get in Chicago regardless of price... But the idiot owners mismanaged this slice of heaven to the point where they went out of business. I’m still gutted about it. Now it’s an overflow/sports bar for Pequod’s called “whale tail”.

Here is a video from one of the local stations that gives a little hint... Damn I miss that Ravioli Annarella and that Rissotto Fratta, they were beyond amazing and quickly followed by shot after shot of the homemade limoncello afterhours. So many great memories there, so many amazing meetings that I would host with out of state Producers, the above the line crew and talent from “Zen Dog”, friends from Red Digital Cinema, Ford Modeling, etc. That hole in the wall was magic.

So many friends in this video, ... Damn it Fillipo!! 😫

kibster

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2019, 09:36:30 am »

What restaurants did you go to that you thought are must see places?

Smyth was one of the best meals I have ever had.  2-star Michelin.  Pricey, but well worth it.  They also have another, more casual place in the basement calle the Loyalist which I have heard serves the best burger in Chicago .http://www.smythandtheloyalist.com/smyth/

Au Cheval was really good.  We got there right at 11 on a weekday and there wasn't an issue getting in.

Roister - It is by the Alinea Group, but is a casual concept.  Open pit cooking and some of the best fried chicken I have ever had.  https://www.roisterrestaurant.com/

Publican Quality Meats - great sandwiches.  Small seating area next to their meat counter.  Their baker won the Beard Award for best baker this year.

Do-rite donuts was great for old fashion donuts.  Stan's donuts is good, but getting too big and commercial and the quality is falling.

Pequod's - Many locals think this is the best deep dish in the city and they may just be right.  Known for their caramelized crust.

Longman & Eagle.  Whisky bar with michelin quality food.  One of the most impressive whiskey lists I have ever seen.  I have been here for dinner and brunch and both times were great, but I preferred dinner.

Bakery at Fat Rice - Unique baked goods .  Their main restaurant Fat Rice is also a great experience, but I did not do it this trip.

hillbilly

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2019, 09:52:38 am »

Awesome post, thank you!!

ricepig

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2019, 03:37:24 pm »

Anyone ever eaten at GT Prime? Eating there tomorrow night, Gibson’s was a 9pm wait, so my son went with GT. He’s moved further north, was at the y of the river, but they’re building two condo buildings which blocked the view they paid for. Anyway, it’s like moving to a new city when they move 7-10 away, lol. We’ll catch a Cubs or two this weekend, the other diner plans will depend on what we do.

kibster

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2019, 08:35:27 am »

Anyone ever eaten at GT Prime? Eating there tomorrow night, Gibson’s was a 9pm wait, so my son went with GT. He’s moved further north, was at the y of the river, but they’re building two condo buildings which blocked the view they paid for. Anyway, it’s like moving to a new city when they move 7-10 away, lol. We’ll catch a Cubs or two this weekend, the other diner plans will depend on what we do.

I haven't, but I have heard good things.  I have eaten at GT Fish & Oyster and was very impressed.

ricepig

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2019, 03:31:34 pm »

I haven't, but I have heard good things.  I have eaten at GT Fish & Oyster and was very impressed.

Ok, I’ll give it a critique when I have time.

ricepig

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2019, 04:43:17 pm »

Chicago is a hot mf’er when it’s 95!  Luckily it cooled off when the front came through Saturday afternoon. Anyway, GT Prime was excellent, I had the Mishima American Wagyu filet, one had the Australian Waygu NY strip, and 2 Prime Filet Mignon. Mine was the best steak I’ve ever eaten in my life, it basically melted in your mouth. The service was great, I highly recommend it. We had burgers at Small Cheval, it was closer and seemed to be the what everyone wanted, great burger and shake, it’s just a small place, that only served burgers. The other meals were Blue Room, Sapori Trattoria, and Lou Malnati’s, all good, but not something I have to do next time. Maybe, Lou’s, it was after the Cubs game on Saturday, which was a broiler, too hot.

kibster

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2019, 09:55:17 pm »

Chicago is a hot mf’er when it’s 95!  Luckily it cooled off when the front came through Saturday afternoon. Anyway, GT Prime was excellent, I had the Mishima American Wagyu filet, one had the Australian Waygu NY strip, and 2 Prime Filet Mignon. Mine was the best steak I’ve ever eaten in my life, it basically melted in your mouth. The service was great, I highly recommend it. We had burgers at Small Cheval, it was closer and seemed to be the what everyone wanted, great burger and shake, it’s just a small place, that only served burgers. The other meals were Blue Room, Sapori Trattoria, and Lou Malnati’s, all good, but not something I have to do next time. Maybe, Lou’s, it was after the Cubs game on Saturday, which was a broiler, too hot.

I have been to Au Cheval a couple times, but never Small Cheval, but I hear it is essentially the same.  Glad you enjoyed the food!

And yeah, Chicago can get crazy hot.  I overheated one summer up there because I didn't expect it to be that bad when I was walking around downtown. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas