• 10,333,323 Posts
• 409,063 Topics
• 23,365 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jersey Retirement  (Read 1152 times)

lamont7906

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Jersey Retirement
« on: January 09, 2019, 09:16:08 am »

Should the University of Arkansas retire McFadden jersey number after this season. Should we as fans start a petition to try to get it done?

* McFadden is probably the greatest football player that stepped on the feild for our university and what makes it even better he's home grown. Think of the impact we take care of our great players plus I believe he do deserves the honor.

NoogaHog

• Senior
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
Re: Jersey Retirement
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 09:42:59 am »

I think that we should honor his jersey without necessarily retiring the #5. I think we should have a plaque or some sort of display honoring him, but still have the number.

I feel the same way about basketball, I don't know why we can't honor some players and hang their jerseys without retiring their numbers. It would be great to see a bunch of #10 jerseys hanging in the rafters for Day, the Brewers, Portis, Gafford, etc. Hang Mayberry's, and Corliss's, and Scottie's jerseys. Hang Delph's. and a lot more. That is what Kentucky does.

In football, we can hang DMac's jersey, along with Alworth's, Billy Ray Smith, Jr.'s (and Sr.'s). and a lot more I'm not thinking of at the moment.

We can honor them without retiring the number.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

oldgoat

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 10:23:31 am »

YES.

Hawggy_Style

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 10:26:15 am »

Should the University of Arkansas retire McFadden jersey number after this season. Should we as fans start a petition to try to get it done?

* McFadden is probably the greatest football player that stepped on the feild for our university and what makes it even better he's home grown. Think of the impact we take care of our great players plus I believe he do deserves the honor.

Replace the Walmart.com that’s ABOVE the Razorback logo with a giant #5.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 10:40:45 am »

yes

TexHog188

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 11:03:15 am »

It wasn't the jersey, it was the man in it we should honor.  Hang a banner, create a ring of honor in razorback stadium, put up a McFadden tribute in a prominent area where fans can see it.  Retiring a number... I kinda enjoy watching a number 5 smash through defenses and then thinking back to when it was DMac.  If you retire it, that will never happen again.

Porcius Magnus

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 11:05:09 am »

I don't like retiring numbers but hanging jerseys are an all together different matter.  As much as I love our programs, we are pretty terrible at honoring individuals this way.

hawkhawg

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 12:27:38 pm »

Build a statue. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 12:42:24 pm »

I think that we should honor his jersey without necessarily retiring the #5. I think we should have a plaque or some sort of display honoring him, but still have the number.

I feel the same way about basketball, I don't know why we can't honor some players and hang their jerseys without retiring their numbers. It would be great to see a bunch of #10 jerseys hanging in the rafters for Day, the Brewers, Portis, Gafford, etc. Hang Mayberry's, and Corliss's, and Scottie's jerseys. Hang Delph's. and a lot more. That is what Kentucky does.

In football, we can hang DMac's jersey, along with Alworth's, Billy Ray Smith, Jr.'s (and Sr.'s). and a lot more I'm not thinking of at the moment.

We can honor them without retiring the number.

Too many MOFO's wanna wear #5... Can't retire that stuff...

jusgtohogs

• Varsity
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 01:01:59 pm »

Honoring McFadden is appropriate but retiring the number isn't a good idea.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 01:24:27 pm »

NO

RowNorseRow

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 02:47:26 pm »

Before last season I would have said with no hesitation that we should retire the #5, but after watching Rakeem Boyd wear that number with pride and running like he had some DMac in his veins, I really enjoyed seeing the number running over DBs again. I think Rakeem will do that number a great service in his final two years. I truly think this guys is a special talent. If we can get our O-line up to speed and really open some holes I think that Rak can have DMac-esque numbers these next two years. I’m all for hanging #5 in he stadium though and maybe even a statue.

Bacons Rebellion

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 03:19:39 pm »

Not enough numbers for modern football. If anything we should bring back #12.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 03:53:55 pm »

no

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 04:35:46 pm »

Build a statue.
Heisman pose with a middle finger salute!

phadedhawg

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 06:16:08 pm »

Wasn't Brandon Burlsworth's jersey the last one we retired?  I think we should reserve retirements for very special situations such as that.  As others have said...ring of honor is the way to go yo!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 06:24:41 pm »

Build a statue. 

This in Bronze standing in the SEZ with stand featuring a certain bronzed wooden bat for "The Boot" to sit on when the LSU game is in Arkansas...

Pulled(PP)pork

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 06:49:04 pm »

have they retied anyone elses?
Isnt Dan Hampton in the NFL HOF?  if so, why not retire his first.  Joe Ferguson?

Hogvillage Idiot

• Senior
  • Doing my best to live up to my name.
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 06:51:49 pm »

Maybe McDonald's will introduce a premium hamburger, call it the DMac, and sell it for $5 ;)

Pulled(PP)pork

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 06:52:26 pm »

Lets not stop with the jersey, lets rename it "Darren McFadden Field"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas