• 10,333,325 Posts
• 409,063 Topics
• 23,365 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wally- Like it isn't  (Read 4388 times)

sowmonella

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You know I'm right.
Wally- Like it isn't
« on: January 09, 2019, 08:50:55 am »

In todays column, Wally says "The ACC has replaced the SEC as the best football conference in the country."  Please sir at least do a little research. The final polls (USA Today Coaches and AP) both have Clemson (#1) and Syracuse (#15) as the only ACC schools ranked in their Top 25. The SEC has 6 in the Coaches Poll and 7 in the AP ranked including 4 of the Top 8 and 5 of the Top 11. Yes Clemson is number 1 and well deserved but the SEC has been replaced by the ACC??? No way Walter.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Wally- Like it isn't
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 08:57:30 am »

Holy hell that's dumb.  Clemson is great.  Syracuse had a good team.  The rest of the conference was darn. 

Clemson only thing that kept the ACC from being down with the Pac 12 as a disgrace to FBS power conference football. 

Lots of overreaction to the championship game.  Jealousy and hate of Bama has made people dumber. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hawggy_Style

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 08:57:56 am »

In todays column, Wally says "The ACC has replaced the SEC as the best football conference in the country."  Please sir at least do a little research. The final polls (USA Today Coaches and AP) both have Clemson (#1) and Syracuse (#15) as the only ACC schools ranked in their Top 25. The SEC has 6 in the Coaches Poll and 7 in the AP ranked including 4 of the Top 8 and 5 of the Top 11. Yes Clemson is number 1 and well deserved but the SEC has been replaced by the ACC??? No way Walter.

You still read that junk?

Superhog1959

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 08:58:13 am »

Wally is delusional. Thank you Mr. White

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 09:03:36 am »

You said it best, do a little research. Only a buffoon would think the ACC overall is better. But then again, Wally fits that description perfectly...

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 09:04:26 am »

Wally is delusional. Thank you Mr. White
Who is Mr. White?

26.2Hog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 09:07:55 am »

And then there's also this from his column:

Monday night was all ACC.

Uh, no, Wally.  Monday night was all Clemson.  It had nothing to to with the rest of the ACC.

WooPig90

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 09:08:23 am »

Hes a clown. Probably drunk

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 09:09:15 am »

Who is Mr. White?

Who is Walter? Wally isn’t Walter.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 09:12:00 am »

Robert Shields was Better that Wally Hall who can't even carry Orville Henry's Lunch box.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 09:16:38 am »

Wally is a part of a growing number in our fan base of fans who at least dislike the SEC if not hate it.  Monday night was a great night for them and has contributed to the overreaction to that game. 

Superhog1959

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 09:22:47 am »

Who is Mr. White?
I recognized your picture. Your Walter White.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 09:23:01 am »

His column yesterday was about the A&M game and how the O needs to flow through Gafford.  Which in general was correct, but in going on and on about the game he forgot to mention that the run that put the game away happened during the long stretch when Gafford was on the bench and one of the reasons that Gafford didn't get as many touches as usual is because he was in foul trouble.  He left those two points out because they did not fit the point he was trying to make. 

He also likes to tweet snide comments about other teams and coaches during their games when they are playing below expectations or doing something stupid.  But he never has the balls to aim any criticism at Razorback football program in the same manner.  It's all sunshine and lollipops until the coach is about to be canned.  This is why when I address him on Twitter I often call him "raisins"

jkstock04

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 09:33:07 am »

He also probably still thinks 2012 was a great thing for the players to relax and "finally have some fun,"

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 09:54:48 am »

MOTHO

rzrbaxfan

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 10:08:38 am »

For one night, in one game, the best team from the ACC was better than the best team from the SEC. 

Check the next 5 best teams in each conference this year....

SEC
Georgia (11-3)
LSU (10-3)
Kentucky (10-3)
Florida (10-3)
A&M (9-4)

ACC:
Syracuse (10-3)
NC St (9-4)
BC (7-5)
Pitt (7-7)
GT (7-6)

And for your ACC fun fact, the ACC Costal division (you know, the one that doesn't have FSU or Clemson) in it's current state of 7 teams has never had a team repeat as divisional champs.  It has had 7 teams for the past 6 years, and it's been a different team to win the division each of those 6 years (everyone except Virginia has had 1 run as divisional champs).  Even with Bama atop the throne, the SEC championship game has offered more high profile, playoff-quality match-ups, unlike the ACC with a "championship" game that is more of a tune-up game for the playoffs.  I don't take anything away from Clemson.  They have built a great program that is here to stay.  However, to say that the rest of the conference is great along with them is about the most uneducated opinion I have ever heard.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 10:10:44 am »

Dear Sowmonella, your first mistake was reading Wally.  Your second mistake was telling people that you read anything that little elf writes.

Seebs

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 10:19:25 am »

Every time you read Wally it is like you calling your ex-wife to see how she is doing.  Be strong and avoid bad tidings. Nothing good can come from enabling that simpleton.

FutureMan

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 10:23:17 am »

I recognized your picture. Your Walter White.

I think he's Heisenberg

Hawggy_Style

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 10:27:47 am »

Dear Sowmonella, your first mistake was reading Wally.  Your second mistake was telling people that you read anything that little elf writes.

Boom!

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 10:32:49 am »

I read everything in front of me. So yes, I read Wally too.

He was right about the offense needing to flow through Gafford. Way too many threes jacked up. The best player needs to touch the ball at least once on nearly every possession. I came to the same conclusion before Wally wrote that.

Of course saying the ACC is better is stupid. But this is the same approach taken by guys like Bob Stoops, who used to say the SEC was top heavy. Sure, teams like Alabama was doing great but top to bottom the Big 12 was as good or almost, according to him anyway.

Not a fan of Wally's, although sometimes I agree with him. Mainly, I tired long ago of the petty remarks, snide comments, agenda-fueled stuff, 'the media can do no wrong' type stuff. And then you can always count on the annual Bob Knight tirade, and Nick Saban being not media-friendly, etc. I just find Wally to come across as a very petty individual.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 10:44:03 am »

Of course saying the ACC is better is stupid. But this is the same approach taken by guys like Bob Stoops, who used to say the SEC was top heavy. Sure, teams like Alabama was doing great but top to bottom the Big 12 was as good or almost, according to him anyway.

Funny thing about Stoops, he never stopped to consider that the bottom half of the Big 12 would be against teams 6-10 in the SEC, not 10-14.

liljo

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 10:52:01 am »

He was right about the offense needing to flow through Gafford. Way too many threes jacked up. The best player needs to touch the ball at least once on nearly every possession. I came to the same conclusion before Wally wrote that.

Not a fan of Wally's, although sometimes I agree with him. Mainly, I tired long ago of the petty remarks, snide comments, agenda-fueled stuff, 'the media can do no wrong' type stuff. And then you can always count on the annual Bob Knight tirade, and Nick Saban being not media-friendly, etc. I just find Wally to come across as a very petty individual.

Same here.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 11:09:47 am »

I will occasionally read the little twit's fiction. It's one of those you need to know what the idiots are saying type deals.

Wee Wally Pipsqueak is the enemy of good writing, make no mistake. You can count on several references to Grandma's biscuit recipe a year as in "you can bet Grandma's biscuit recipe that ----."

I can recall columns he wrote in the 80s, one in which he said there was no such thing as racism any more after Nolan accused the old ADG of it in their coverage of him.

Until Nolan started winning big, you'd think the guy didn't know a basketball from Grandma's biscuits according to the Wee one. As if the guy won all those games at Tulsa which hadn't won in years before he got there by just having players.

Wally acted as if Eddie ball was the only way a team could win. He has always had his ear to the ground, measuring public opinion before chiming in, telling the naysayers what they want to hear. Like a politician with his finger in the wind before taking a position on any subject.

I do think Clemson has supplanted Alabama slightly as the premier program in CFB due to winning 2 of 3 vs them in the CG. But to take that as the ACC overtaking the SEC is kind of silly. If NC, Louisville and FSU were at their peak, it might be close, but that is not the case.

Clemson's closest game was vs A&M, a team that was what, 5-3 in the SEC?

You can count on at least one Mickey Mantle screed a year, how Mantle dissed the Wee one years ago.

You can count on at least one Bob Knight rant a year and in his overall body of work in a year, more cliches than Rainman could count..
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:25:44 am by SooieGeneris »

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 11:12:52 am »

His column yesterday was about the A&M game and how the O needs to flow through Gafford.  Which in general was correct, but in going on and on about the game he forgot to mention that the run that put the game away happened during the long stretch when Gafford was on the bench and one of the reasons that Gafford didn't get as many touches as usual is because he was in foul trouble.  He left those two points out because they did not fit the point he was trying to make. 

He also likes to tweet snide comments about other teams and coaches during their games when they are playing below expectations or doing something stupid.  But he never has the balls to aim any criticism at Razorback football program in the same manner. It's all sunshine and lollipops until the coach is about to be canned.  This is why when I address him on Twitter I often call him "raisins"

That is the state of most of the AR sports media, but you're right, Wee Wally leads the charge when it is obvious the HC is on his way out the door..

hoglady

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 11:16:51 am »

Wally's worst mistake as a sports journalist is he always seems to let his personal feelings and petty vendettas cloud his sports writing.
So anyone reading his column expecting to get anything resembling objective analysis is reading the wrong column.

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 11:27:41 am »

I need something to line the bottom of my birds cage.

26.2Hog

• The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 11:40:21 am »

I need something to line the bottom of my birds cage.
Makes for pretty good fish wrap too.

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 12:48:40 pm »

In todays column, Wally says "The ACC has replaced the SEC as the best football conference in the country." 
Surely, he doesn’t believe that. If he does, somebody needs to call in a mental deficiency professional.

liljo

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2019, 01:11:28 pm »

Surely, he doesn’t believe that. If he does, somebody needs to call in a mental deficiency professional.
Nah, he knows better, I'm sure. He did it to rile people. Then he'll get on social media today and scan and scour to see how people reacted to it. Then his little feelings will get all hurt due to the reaction. Overnight, his hurt feelings will fester and turn into anger. This will make him want to write something tomorrow to make those mean people even angrier.

And once again, we'll all share a few laughs.

Al Boarland

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2019, 01:39:46 pm »

When you have beat writers that are fans first they live in the Hog bubble. It's the nature of the state of Arkansas.

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2019, 02:09:52 pm »

Wally's not as dumb as his journalist persona implies. It's just him catering to his target audience.

Seebs

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2019, 02:43:18 pm »

Wally's not as dumb as his journalist persona implies. It's just him catering to his target audience.

This is not correct. He is actually dumberer.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2019, 02:51:58 pm »

One of my favorite(or infamous) Wally stories was in 2011 when he was insinuating he may not vote for Kansas State's Collin Klein for Heisman because Coach Bill Snyder had a strict media-access policy for his players.

Wally, with it always being about the media, took offense to that. It's always about the media. His access, where he gets to sit at games, what restaurants, which hotels he has to stay in, etc.

In Wally's world, media access to a player trumps everything.

The ONLY factor to consider for Heisman is to turn on the TV and watch games. The player is worthy, or they're not. The coach's policy, right or wrong, has NOTHING to do with it.

But that's not how Wally thinks. His Heisman vote should have been taken away immediately.

phadedhawg

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2019, 02:55:35 pm »

Wally Hall is still alive?  Huh...

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2019, 03:47:54 pm »

My favorite little Wally moment, when Nutt was on his way out.  Wally finally had the balls to write a bad story about Nutt, (I forget what it involved now) but Wally was on one morning in Central Arkansas a terrible radio show called, "A show with no name", Nutt calls in and wants to confront little Wally but he cowers and lets David Bazzell and Tommy Smith shield him during the whole time Nutt is giving Wally the bidness.  Right as Nutt is saying goodbye and hanging up, Wally grows a pair and speaks up and he say, he say,

I stands behinds what I wrote!

I and I bet everyone that heard that call in that morning had a big laugh over that one.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2019, 03:58:43 pm »

Nah, he knows better, I'm sure. He did it to rile people. Then he'll get on social media today and scan and scour to see how people reacted to it. Then his little feelings will get all hurt due to the reaction. Overnight, his hurt feelings will fester and turn into anger. This will make him want to write something tomorrow to make those mean people even angrier.

And once again, we'll all share a few laughs.
PSA - Protect your ankles at all times!

LZH

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2019, 04:24:58 pm »

Wally is the guy that fell into a great job for Sears eons ago and has long since cashed in his chips. He's living comfortably on his past earnings and still has a desk at the office even though no one is paying attention anymore.

diveplayon4thn20

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2019, 07:33:26 pm »

Wally Hall is the definition of a hack, and his article is always an example of his lack knowledge about football. His writing style reminds me of a junior high journalism student, and thats giving jr high writers a bad name.

You would think with the time he has to write his few paragraphs of drivel would help him at least have a flow of thoughts and paragraphs that make a coherent little article, but almost always his articles are all over the place and bounce around with no continuity or structure at all.

This all could be forgiven if he ever had anything interesting  thought provoking, but he never does. I have never seen him have an original thought, and his articles are so full of misinformation and his words show his ignorance of any real understanding of football. I wonder if he ever even does any research at all.

I remember one time when he was baffled while discussing what some SEC coaches were saying about the offense Gus was running at Shiloh and Springdale. They stayed that the qb would have to run the ball at least 10-15 times per game for the offense to have a chance of being effective, and poor Wally was puzzled how they came to this conclusion. He didn't realize the offense  consisted   of the qb making one read, maybe a checkdown, and if noone was open the third read was to run the ball. Guess. that simple HS offense went over his head,lol.

Worst of all was when the program was going through turmoil and when the team really needed him to use his article and influence, if any, to try to calm the situation and try to keep the fanbase together, rather than helping, he would deliberately fan the flames and even poor gas on them. This happened in 2017 when everything seemed to be falling apart, and also especially during the Sprindale Mafia s soap opera fiasco in 2006, when we were having a magical run and had. clinched the west title and was in the running for the national title. He proceeded to write rumour mongering articles about hi friend Nutt and the program.

I have often wondered if he truly is a Hog fan or just a troll planted to stir up garbage at t certain times. Ridiculous i know, but I look forward to the day he is canned at the ADG and they get a real sportswriter instead of this hack that seems to have been there since the days of leather helmets and before the invention of the forward pass...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 08:05:56 pm by diveplayon4thn20 »

The Hawgman

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2019, 09:22:33 pm »

Holy hell that's dumb.  Clemson is great.  Syracuse had a good team.  The rest of the conference was darn. 

Clemson only thing that kept the ACC from being down with the Pac 12 as a disgrace to FBS power conference football. 

Lots of overreaction to the championship game.  Jealousy and hate of Bama has made people dumber.
Lil Wally does not believe that himself
Just stirring the pot because he has nothing else and hasn’t for a while.

supersaint

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2019, 09:39:01 pm »

Tell Wally to get back up in the tree and bake me some cookies.

jvanhorn

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2019, 10:08:36 pm »

I will occasionally read the little twit's fiction. It's one of those you need to know what the idiots are saying type deals.

Wee Wally Pipsqueak is the enemy of good writing, make no mistake. You can count on several references to Grandma's biscuit recipe a year as in "you can bet Grandma's biscuit recipe that ----."

I can recall columns he wrote in the 80s, one in which he said there was no such thing as racism any more after Nolan accused the old ADG of it in their coverage of him.

Until Nolan started winning big, you'd think the guy didn't know a basketball from Grandma's biscuits according to the Wee one. As if the guy won all those games at Tulsa which hadn't won in years before he got there by just having players.

Wally acted as if Eddie ball was the only way a team could win. He has always had his ear to the ground, measuring public opinion before chiming in, telling the naysayers what they want to hear. Like a politician with his finger in the wind before taking a position on any subject.

I do think Clemson has supplanted Alabama slightly as the premier program in CFB due to winning 2 of 3 vs them in the CG. But to take that as the ACC overtaking the SEC is kind of silly. If NC, Louisville and FSU were at their peak, it might be close, but that is not the case.

Clemson's closest game was vs A&M, a team that was what, 5-3 in the SEC?

You can count on at least one Mickey Mantle screed a year, how Mantle dissed the Wee one years ago.

You can count on at least one Bob Knight rant a year and in his overall body of work in a year, more cliches than Rainman could count..

Well the good new is Hall doesn't know a damn thing about baseball and doesn't like the sport so, thank God, he almost never writes about it which, I am sure, Dave Van Horn is eternally grateful for.  Of course that didn't stop him from jumping on the bandwagon when it looked like they had a chance to win a National Championship.

gaylen54

• Bench Warmer
  • Hogville Lurker since 2011, Hog fan since 1954
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2019, 10:09:17 pm »

I had editing and newswriting classes with Wally in college.  Even then he couldn't spell, punctuate or write a sentence that was grammatically correct. And he didn't seem to care. I mean he was really, really bad. Like how did he get into college bad.  But he was drinking buddies with the dept chair so that went a long way.
Over the years, I've read, shaken my head, and wept for his copy editors. Some days you just know he didn't write his own column because you can understand it!

lasthog

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2019, 10:24:11 pm »

No, he is dumb.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2019, 10:39:59 pm »

But he was right about Gafford getting the ball more.
Four shots tonight against Florida. FOUR SHOTS!!!!
How in hades does an NBA player attempt only four shots in a game?
My goodness, are we dumb.

Jimmy

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2019, 11:42:08 am »

Bless his heart, Wally takes so many liberties in his columns, I take everything he writes with a grain of salt.   

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2019, 11:58:38 am »

Wally's worst mistake as a sports journalist is he always seems to let his personal feelings and petty vendettas cloud his sports writing.
So anyone reading his column expecting to get anything resembling objective analysis is reading the wrong column.

Hoglady, you're a smart lady and I know you know this.  Wally is a columnist, not a sports writer; therefore, facts really mean nothing to him.  Actually, if you could get Wally into a one-on-one conversation, I'm fairly certain he would admit that he plays fast a loose with the facts.  He doesn't care whether fans agree with what he writes.

What he wants are readers and to be noticed and maybe quoted around the state. 

The OP appears to be a smart guy too, I don't know.  But he got suckered, again by Wally.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2019, 01:39:16 pm »

My favorite little Wally moment, when Nutt was on his way out.  Wally finally had the balls to write a bad story about Nutt, (I forget what it involved now) but Wally was on one morning in Central Arkansas a terrible radio show called, "A show with no name", Nutt calls in and wants to confront little Wally but he cowers and lets David Bazzell and Tommy Smith shield him during the whole time Nutt is giving Wally the bidness.  Right as Nutt is saying goodbye and hanging up, Wally grows a pair and speaks up and he say, he say,

I stands behinds what I wrote!

I and I bet everyone that heard that call in that morning had a big laugh over that one.

Great memory!!!  I remember someone posted the link on here at the time.

Sivad

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2019, 01:43:18 pm »

I had editing and newswriting classes with Wally in college.  Even then he couldn't spell, punctuate or write a sentence that was grammatically correct. And he didn't seem to care. I mean he was really, really bad. Like how did he get into college bad. 
Over the years, I've read, shaken my head, and wept for his copy editors.
He is no literary rocket.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2019, 01:44:40 pm »

Robert Shields was Better that Wally Hall who can't even carry Orville Henry's Lunch box.

Wally Hall...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas