• 10,306,473 Posts
• 408,354 Topics
• 23,331 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chaney to Tennessee  (Read 5435 times)

Rock City Razorback

Re: Chaney to Tennessee
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2019, 08:39:02 am »

Monday Morning Quarterback / Re: Drop The Mic
« on: January 04, 2019, 08:11:40 pm »
The hot rumor is within a year or two Bert is going to be back into college coaching and that Chaney and Pittman will be back with him. Some are saying that Chaney is about to be demoted at Georgia and Pittman is not happy about it.

This from Mike Irwin on the 4th of January. Obviously Mike had a solid source and perhaps the reason for this move. Does Pittman return to Tennessee with Chaney? Will Chaney or Pittman sign a non-compete? Very interesting and good call Mike Irwin.

Bert left Pittman out to dry on several recruits, and he and Chaney didn't see eye to eye towards end. Not buying it. But I guess if they all enjoy being the Beefy Brothers, nothing can stop that bond  :puke:

hoglady

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2019, 08:39:43 am »

Agreed..but I will say Chaney moves around allot...not good for any program's consistency. He's been at Tn., Ar., Pitt, Ga, and now Tn. again within the last 6-7 years. Something not right there, seems to either bolt or wear out his welcome very quickly.

Didn't Chaney and Pittman leaving Tn. coincide with the Dooley firing?
Bert couldn't keep hardly any of his staff intact and had the same problem at Wisconsin.
Who wouldn't leave Pitt for Georgia?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2019, 09:13:26 am »

Chaney is a good OC.  This didn't surprise me a bit though.  Local media is spinning it as they didn't want to give him a raise and were outbid by Tenn.  Kirby wanted a change.  Chaney has been questioned and criticized going back into last season for game plans and in game play calling.  Not agreeing with all of it.  Just it has happened. 

UGa has been loaded with offensive talent.  Still will be even with losing Fields to transfer and a couple of others early to the draft. 

Bielema's biggest mistake was his oline recruiting and specifically how few HS olinemen he signed.  It was a philosophical difference with Pittman.  Pittman was right.  Can't see them working together again.  But some people change and admit their mistakes. 

Paul

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2019, 09:31:52 am »

The hot rumor is within a year or two Bert is going to be back into college coaching and that Chaney and Pittman will be back with him. Some are saying that Chaney is about to be demoted at Georgia and Pittman is not happy about it.

This from Mike Irwin on the 4th of January. Obviously Mike had a solid source and perhaps the reason for this move. Does Pittman return to Tennessee with Chaney? Will Chaney or Pittman sign a non-compete? Very interesting and good call Mike Irwin.
after Pittman left for UGA I had a long talk with him.  He was still fuming about the way BB "threw him under the bus".  I highly doubt he will ever allow himself be even peripherally associated with Bielema.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:19:36 am by Paul »

hoglady

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2019, 09:43:23 am »

Chaney is a good OC.  This didn't surprise me a bit though.  Local media is spinning it as they didn't want to give him a raise and were outbid by Tenn.  Kirby wanted a change.  Chaney has been questioned and criticized going back into last season for game plans and in game play calling.  Not agreeing with all of it.  Just it has happened. 

UGa has been loaded with offensive talent.  Still will be even with losing Fields to transfer and a couple of others early to the draft. 

Bielema's biggest mistake was his oline recruiting and specifically how few HS olinemen he signed.  It was a philosophical difference with Pittman.  Pittman was right.  Can't see them working together again.  But some people change and admit their mistakes. 

Chaney isn't perfect for sure but things have been going pretty good for Georgia - they are right there.
This feels like a knee jerk reaction by Georgia to the Bama loss in the SEC Championship game.
It's not like a successful LSU program that had an inept offense for too many years and really needed some changes.

Look at Clemson - lots of their success has come from keeping their staff intact.

Hogeyeblind

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2019, 09:54:03 am »

Lol.  Sheeple Cmon.  Bert has ZERO stroke - why in the hell would Chaney or Pittman need to or want to associated with some drunken, lazy POS.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2019, 09:56:22 am »

Chaney isn't perfect for sure but things have been going pretty good for Georgia - they are right there.
This feels like a knee jerk reaction by Georgia to the Bama loss in the SEC Championship game.
It's not like a successful LSU program that had an inept offense for too many years and really needed some changes.

Look at Clemson - lots of their success has come from keeping their staff intact.

The second half and especially last possessions vs Bama and then the Sugar Bowl were just the final straws. 

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2019, 10:14:12 am »

I don't respect a man who can't find a better insult than disparaging another man's appearance.

Having said that, I hope that photo is just a bad angle and really poorly cropped.
Ok, he's ugly too.

Doctor: "I think you're losing your mind and need to see a psychiatrist."
Rodney Dangerfield: "If you don't mind, I'd like a second opinion."
Doctor: "Ok, you're ugly, too."

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2019, 10:16:21 am »

I'm not sure why you would assume that.  Even Irwin stated it as a rumor.

Wisco Pig

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2019, 10:16:51 am »

Athens resident here.    UGa is all in.   They're PO'd about their performance in the Sugar Bowl and they fully intend to make college football a 3-team cartel.

If Auburn isn't any good next year, no one should be a bit surprised to see Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson all finish their regular seasons 12-0. 

As for Bielema reuniting with Pittman and Chaney, add me to the list of folks who can't see it.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2019, 10:23:35 am »

Best way to describe Chaney may be serviceable (except in an Auburn elevator).  With superior talent in a stable environment he's alright. Your offense will be OK.  Is he an innovator, developer of QBs, or elite play caller?  Can he as an OC elevate TN above where they are?  Before going to GA he was at TN, AR, and Pitt.  Teams going anywhere from 3 to 8 wins. 

What's interesting is that the last 4 HCs he has worked for including Pruitt at TN have all been former DCs.  So you would think Chaney is basically the HC of the offense, yes each HC wants a certain brand or style but all probably fairly similar.

CaptainHog

• Band Nerd
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2019, 10:29:11 am »

The talent level he'll be working will be a very noticeable drop.  Let's see what he can do and I'm sure the stats will be quite noticeable.   Don't be surprised if Pittman follows in less than 2 years...

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2019, 10:57:32 am »

True.

I think Kevin Steele has coached for every SEC team but the Hogs.

Wasn’t he also the DC that Dabo fired and then hired Venables away from OU?

hoglady

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2019, 11:00:41 am »

The second half and especially last possessions vs Bama and then the Sugar Bowl were just the final straws. 

Well - I guess Georgia fans can delude themselves into putting all that on Chaney.

It's not like the Georgia defense didn't cave and allow Jalen Hurts to drive 80 yards and 52 yards in the 4th quarter. Or that the head coach didn't make a pretty boneheaded decision that did more to cost Georgia that game than anything Chaney did.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2019, 11:05:55 am »

Clemson has had staff turnover and some of the hires were not big names except Venables. They fortunately have kept Venables a fairly long time for such a successful Coordinator.

wildturkey8

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2019, 11:30:15 am »

Georgia needs a more dynamic offense to win the big games.  Those offensive statistics (435 yds/game) are meaningless because they simply out-talent most of their opposition but they come up short against teams with comparable talent.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 03:51:48 pm by wildturkey8 »

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2019, 11:33:49 am »

Wasn’t he also the DC that Dabo fired and then hired Venables away from OU?

Yes after they lost 70-33 to WV.  Venables was getting demoted by Stoops to make room for his brother. 

MultipleScoreGasms

• Varsity
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2019, 12:10:22 pm »

I have frequently wondered why Pittman doesn't accept a HC position, and hire Chaney as his OC.  They do seem to follow each other (TN, AR, GA.......TN again?).

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2019, 12:29:12 pm »

Yes after they lost 70-33 to WV.  Venables was getting demoted by Stoops to make room for his brother. 

Thanks. That’s the way I remembered it but wasn’t 100% certain.

Redhogs

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2019, 12:35:09 pm »

Athens resident here.    UGa is all in.   They're PO'd about their performance in the Sugar Bowl and they fully intend to make college football a 3-team cartel.

If Auburn isn't any good next year, no one should be a bit surprised to see Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson all finish their regular seasons 12-0. 

As for Bielema reuniting with Pittman and Chaney, add me to the list of folks who can't see it.
I can't see ANY college program hiring fat lazy Bert for any reason, regardless of who he would work with. As Pittman said more than once, he loved Fayetteville but could not stand Bert.

AirWarren

• Football impotence of the Midwest
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2019, 12:37:03 pm »

I can't see ANY college program hiring fat lazy Bert for any reason, regardless of who he would work with. As Pittman said more than once, he loved Fayetteville but could not stand Bert.

Lol.

Coach B is living it up in New England with a fat wallet, good looking woman and a healthy child. On staff with the patriots. Sure he could care less about college athletics or Razorback athletics.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2019, 03:07:19 pm »

Was listening to the Vols sports radio yesterday, and the callers were all very positive about this and thought it was a solid hire. If he was rehired at Arkansas, there would be people on suicide watch. So either Vols fans don't know football as well as hogville, or Chaney isn't as bad of an OC as some of you think. I personally put a lot of the blame on everything wrong with Bert's tenure on Bert AND not his OCs
I used to get into it with certain Chaney haters on this board when he was at Arkansas. They thought he was a complete loser. I kept pointing out Chaney had a solid reputation within the college coaching profession. That wasn't my opinion. It came from people in the business and they know this stuff a lot better than I do. For this reason I was not surprised that Chaney ended up at Georgia and not surprised that he had success there.

It is not my understanding that he was told to find another job at Georgia. Rather that he's a play caller that does not like to be micro managed. Bert did not fire him at Arkansas. He just messed with him a lot including publicly on a few occasions. Pittman would have stayed at Arkansas but when Bert made negative comments about Chaney after he went to Pitt, Pittman was gone. It was just a matter of time.

I have no idea what Pittman will do now. I do know that he likes Georgia because of the access it gives him to outstanding O-linemen. As long as Kirby Smart doesn't run his mouth about Chaney I'm guessing Pittman will stay put.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2019, 03:34:00 pm »

I thought for the most part Chaney's offense at Arkansas was balanced and effective. It was good between the 20-yard lines.
My only complaint was the situational play-calling: short-yardage, goal line, etc. I thought we were not creative enough there.
I thought Enos improved that some.

LRHawg

• All-American Hogvillian
  • This too shall pass
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2019, 03:57:19 pm »

I'm more curious about what Pittman is going to do.

N HOG

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2019, 04:16:22 pm »

Chaney is a damn good OC.
It'll be interesting to see if that Georgia offense averages 38 points per game and 7 yds. per play next year plus gets to the SEC championship game and is in contention for the playoffs.

Chaney only helped get that program to 2 SEC Championship games in 3 years - plus played for a National Championship.

Does no one remember how much better our offense looked the year AFTER Chaney was gone?

Now Pittman....that's another matter....the beginning of the end for CBB.

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2019, 04:36:46 pm »

Jim Chaney is now the highest paid offensive coordinator in college football. $4.8 million for three years.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Everything from did-il-I-doh to darned if I know
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2019, 05:09:27 pm »

Many of the best teams change our OCs ever 3 or so years and their offenses evolve with the changes.

Hogeyeblind

« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2019, 05:34:13 pm »

I have no idea what Pittman will do now. I do know that he likes Georgia because of the access it gives him to outstanding O-linemen. As long as Kirby Smart doesn't run his mouth about Chaney I'm guessing Pittman will stay put.

Two grown azz men this connected at the hip like this is weird to say the least.  Grow up and quit puppy dogging each other.

Hoggish1

« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2019, 05:40:59 pm »

https://twitter.com/pbrown247/status/1082809914404290560

I wonder if this means anything for Pittman?

Well, it will get him closer to Pittsburg, KS, again...

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2019, 05:44:31 pm »

This doesn't seem strange to me at all, other than that Tenn would take him.

Chaney sucks and was sent away from UGA, just like he was here.

hoglady

« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2019, 06:42:19 pm »

Two grown azz men this connected at the hip like this is weird to say the least.  Grow up and quit puppy dogging each other.

Maybe Pittman likes Chaney's offense - that he believes his offense best suits his Oline recruits.
Plus life is too short and these guys spend a whole of time together. Life is much happier if you like the people you work with.

Redhogs

« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2019, 06:47:25 pm »

Lol.

Coach B is living it up in New England with a fat wallet, good looking woman and a healthy child. On staff with the patriots. Sure he could care less about college athletics or Razorback athletics.
I'm sure you are right...all at the University of Arkansas's expense.....just awesome.

lasthog

« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2019, 07:38:58 pm »

I know it's poor form to talk about somebody's looks, but my goodness, that's a bad look.
At some point, a person has to decide to LOSE SOME WEIGHT. Even if it means stomach surgery.

Dude is not so fat, just got a little bitty head.

lasthog

« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2019, 07:45:33 pm »

Mike Irwin

« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2019, 11:14:44 pm »

I'm not sure why you would assume that.  Even Irwin stated it as a rumor.
Absolutely a rumor and one that makes no sense to me. But I've been around coaches long enough to know that things change with time. Maybe Bert called them and apologized. Maybe they simply agreed that under the right circumstances at the right school they might all get together again at some point in the future.

It really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. They're not coming back here so if Chaney sticks at Tennessee, Pittman says at Georgia and Bert never gets another college job, so what? I just passed along a rumor I heard from somebody who knows those guys.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2019, 11:19:08 pm »

Ever had a best friend? Nothing strange about it at all. Professionally they're on the same wave length. Pittman clearly likes having Chaney as his boss as opposed to some random coach that might not mesh with his O- line philosophy  .

greenie

« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2019, 11:28:06 pm »

Absolutely a rumor and one that makes no sense to me. But I've been around coaches long enough to know that things change with time. Maybe Bert called them and apologized. Maybe they simply agreed that under the right circumstances at the right school they might all get together again at some point in the future.

It really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. They're not coming back here so if Chaney sticks at Tennessee, Pittman says at Georgia and Bert never gets another college job, so what? I just passed along a rumor I heard from somebody who knows those guys.

Even Mike calls him “Bert” now. I guess it’s official.

Bebop

« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2019, 11:28:58 pm »

after Pittman left for UGA I had a long talk with him.  He was still fuming about the way BB "threw him under the bus".  I highly doubt he will ever allow himself be even peripherally associated with Bielema.

Bret = Uncommon 😒😑

UnknownNobody

« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2019, 11:31:05 pm »

Ever had a best friend? Nothing strange about it at all. Professionally they're on the same wave length. Pittman clearly likes having Chaney as his boss as opposed to some random coach that might not mesh with his O- line philosophy  .

Agreed Pittman stayed after Chaney left but didn't get along /see eye to eye with Enos.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas