• 10,333,380 Posts
• 409,064 Topics
• 23,365 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: JUST IN: Freshman Jordan Phillips will transfer from Arkansas.  (Read 7204 times)

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: JUST IN: Freshman Jordan Phillips will transfer from Arkansas.
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2019, 11:38:26 am »

No, not at all. I live in Big 12 territory and watch most of his games. He's been a fine player and I wish he had stayed. But I think he might have very well been a better player under Mike.

Maybe.  Probably.  5mpg at Arkansas.  36 mpg last season. 33 this season.  Our program isn't for everyone. 

k.c.hawg

« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2019, 11:47:34 am »

Maybe.  Probably.  5mpg at Arkansas.  36 mpg last season. 33 this season.  Our program isn't for everyone. 

Agreed. He came there having almost 30 years of info on how the Nolan/Mike system of playing time operated. Probably not a good fit if he was looking for 33-36 minutes since we have had National POY not get that many minutes. Yet it was Mike's fault he left. NWB has turned into a fine basketball player, fullfilling a role on a good team. Very glad it all worked out for him. All along I felt like he saw his brothers experience at ISU and thought that was a better fit.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2019, 11:53:40 am »

Agreed. He came there having almost 30 years of info on how the Nolan/Mike system of playing time operated. Probably not a good fit if he was looking for 33-36 minutes since we have had National POY not get that many minutes. Yet it was Mike's fault he left. NWB has turned into a fine basketball player, fullfilling a role on a good team. Very glad it all worked out for him. All along I felt like he saw his brothers experience at ISU and thought that was a better fit.

I thought Babb should have played more.  I agree he seemed destined for Iowa St.  Turned into an effective player.  Not a star certainly.  But solid starter on a good team. 

jjdlc

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2019, 01:40:17 pm »

Haven't seen it mentioned, but leaving now does give Phillips the opportunity to play second semester next year instead of missing the entire season.  So, that at least somewhat explains the timing.  Now as to why he chose to transfer in the fist place...

k.c.hawg

« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2019, 01:43:27 pm »

Haven't seen it mentioned, but leaving now does give Phillips the opportunity to play second semester next year instead of missing the entire season.  So, that at least somewhat explains the timing.  Now as to why he chose to transfer in the fist place...

Yes but then he will have blown 2 seasons, on half seasons.

The Hogfather

« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2019, 01:45:10 pm »

Right.  By then, the other players will have carved out their roles/minutes.  Will make it tough for him to make a huge impact next season as well.  He'll probably get frustrated and transfer again...

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2019, 02:11:00 pm »

I wonder if Phillips situation caused any locker room friction.  Nothing serious like splitting the team or anything like that or any real drama queen type stuff, but with basketball being such a small group could one guy being down or wanting to GTF out of there bring the rest down or be a distraction.

Not Phillips fault but while he was hurt and/or recovering it seems like the rest of the group bonded pretty well and had some good chemistry going.  I can understand if after recovery Jordan felt like a bit of a 10th wheel so to speak. 

He wasn't a key contributor yet this year but will be interesting to see how team responds. 

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2019, 03:15:48 pm »

I wonder if Phillips situation caused any locker room friction.  Nothing serious like splitting the team or anything like that or any real drama queen type stuff, but with basketball being such a small group could one guy being down or wanting to GTF out of there bring the rest down or be a distraction.

Not Phillips fault but while he was hurt and/or recovering it seems like the rest of the group bonded pretty well and had some good chemistry going.  I can understand if after recovery Jordan felt like a bit of a 10th wheel so to speak. 

He wasn't a key contributor yet this year but will be interesting to see how team responds.

Nope, no locker room friction. Again, he just didnít think he would play above any of the other guards on the team. Theyíre all freshmen and sophomores.

The Hogfather

« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2019, 03:18:53 pm »

Nope, no locker room friction. Again, he just didnít think he would play above any of the other guards on the team. Theyíre all freshmen and sophomores.

He's not a guard, though.  Just not a smart decision, but at least he got to control his destiny.  ;)

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2019, 03:20:11 pm »

He's not a guard, though.  Just not a smart decision, but at least he got to control his destiny.  ;)

Haha heís a guard. Thatís where his game was. Kid was skilled on the perimeter. A shame he didnít at least stick it out to the end of the season.

The Hogfather

« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2019, 03:25:50 pm »

Haha heís a guard. Thatís where his game was. Kid was skilled on the perimeter. A shame he didnít at least stick it out to the end of the season.

Saying he is "skilled on the perimeter" is extremely generous at this point.

He is a SF with potential to play as a larger guard if his shooting/ball handling improves.  At his height, without those skills, he is an uneffective SF.

Main point is he could fill a different role than MANY of the guards we have on our roster that you're saying he was afraid to compete with.

He would've been better off working his arse off to improve his shooting/ball handling/agressiveness than taking the path of least resistance.

jjdlc

« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2019, 03:27:43 pm »

I didn't say it was a good reason, just one possibility, especially if he doesn't want to red shirt.  Of course sound rationale doesn't seem to be in the equation on a lot of these transfers. 

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2019, 03:33:25 pm »

Surprised a bit that he's leaving this soon, but based on things I've heard he was 1 of 3 candidates I saw leaving by the spring. Some folks I trust saw him as a future starter, but he was so far behind due to the injuries and with the roles that wings Isaiah Joe and Mason Jones carved out and seem entrenched, I could see this coming eventually.

Arkansas in a bad-luck stretch with wing/SFs when you look at KGarland, DHall, and now JPhillips. Had the young man remained healthy, he's likely in the Top 7-8 rotation. Players want minutes and roles out of the gates, though, and patience is a rare commodity these days.

I understand wanting minutes and all that, but did this kid miss the part where he was out with knee surgery? He thinks it was going to happen immediately? He seems flaky if this was the decision at this moment.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2019, 03:43:38 pm »

Saying he is "skilled on the perimeter" is extremely generous at this point.

He is a SF with potential to play as a larger guard if his shooting/ball handling improves.  At his height, without those skills, he is an uneffective SF.

Main point is he could fill a different role than MANY of the guards we have on our roster that you're saying he was afraid to compete with.

He would've been better off working his arse off to improve his shooting/ball handling/agressiveness than taking the path of least resistance.

For those of us in the know, and who have actually talked to the staff, yes he was a guard. Participated with guards in drills and was primarily a wing. Never flash posted or any of that.

The Hogfather

« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2019, 03:53:02 pm »

For those of us in the know, and who have actually talked to the staff, yes he was a guard. Participated with guards in drills and was primarily a wing. Never flash posted or any of that.

Probably trying to improve his skillset because you say he was "skilled on the perimeter", yet he couldn't handle well enough and was 3-20 (0-6) shooting.

I understand he probably thought of himself as a guard and wanted to be a taller guard, but his skillset wasn't there yet.

He probably is considered a "guard" on our team when we wanted to go big (if he could've ever earned enough playing time to allow it), but he is most assuredly not a guard in terms of skills at the moment.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2019, 03:56:20 pm »

I understand wanting minutes and all that, but did this kid miss the part where he was out with knee surgery? He thinks it was going to happen immediately? He seems flaky if this was the decision at this moment.

I think it has more to do with him projecting his future here, not necessarily his current playing time. As I've said, look at the backcourt next year:

Harris / Hill
Joe / Sills
Jones / Embery

Where is he breaking in there? Who will sit out over Phillips? I just think he didn't want to be a 3rd stringer. Then, the 2020 class arrives....

MakingPlays

« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2019, 04:07:32 pm »

I think it has more to do with him projecting his future here, not necessarily his current playing time. As I've said, look at the backcourt next year:

Harris / Hill
Joe / Sills
Jones / Embery

Where is he breaking in there? Who will sit out over Phillips? I just think he didn't want to be a 3rd stringer. Then, the 2020 class arrives....

I don't think it was that.  I mean if you're a 6'7 guard and top 150 player, wouldn't you have enough confidence in yourself to think you could beat out a 5'10 guard that's younger than you for playing time?

I think he was just upset he wasn't play as much as he wanted and I'm sure him being in his home state when we played against TAM with family and friends watching and he only got to play 2 minutes probably pushed him from being upset to not wanting to be here anymore.

But, like I said in another thread, these kids that are use to the spotlight and not use to competing for playing time, they don't think "Alright let me get in the gym and get better so I can play more"  they get upset and think it's someone else fault and want out. 

Corkscrew Johnson

• Hey Houston, hold onto my rope!!
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2019, 04:09:56 pm »

Kids get homesick, kids get disgruntled with playing time, kids are living in a me-first generation.  This is all true, and I don't see the trend reversing any time soon.

That being said, every coach deals with this, and the frequency is getting odd.  We aren't talking about guys who are hopelessly buried in the depth chart due to better talent.  Some are transferring right before they would get major minutes.  There is absolutely some responsibility for the coach to help manage this situation....sometimes it requires nurturing, sometimes it requires a firm hand, but always there is a recurring theme of leadership that makes kids want to stay.

HawgsPolo

• Varsity
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2019, 04:51:37 pm »

Big things popping and little things dropping..stay tuned

JenksHawg

• Varsity
Re: Jordan Phillips
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2019, 05:13:44 pm »

Young didnít leave, he declared for the draft which was very dumb, Babb, Bryant showed they werenít good enough to play in the SEC and Hall had off the court issues, pay more attention next time.

Ha! ďBabb showed he wasnít good enough to play in the SECĒ???

ShadowHawg

« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2019, 05:34:48 pm »

Ha! ďBabb showed he wasnít good enough to play in the SECĒ???

Babb wasn't all that. He is clearly d1, but he is a role player today same as he was here.

RaisinHog

« Reply #121 on: January 09, 2019, 05:57:20 pm »

And Anderson himself even said he was guard when he talked about him in post game stuff early .. I remember him saying " and make no mistake he is a guard"

The Hogfather

« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2019, 08:31:10 pm »

And Anderson himself even said he was guard when he talked about him in post game stuff early .. I remember him saying " and make no mistake he is a guard"

I donít care what was thought or said.  I care about size/skill.  He didnít have the skillset to play a legit guard spot.  We may call him a guard, but he was/is a small forward who wants to eventually have the skills to be a taller guard.

Paul

« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2019, 09:52:17 pm »

i have no idea if Hill will stay 4 years or not, Hill played with a good portion of our roster in AAU, it won't take him long at all to blend in, i don't think he would only play a few minutes a game i think his contribution "could" be significant.

I guess my feeling is if, MA and the rest of the team sees him in practice and feels like he would be an X factor if you will for this season that possibly get over that hump and into the sweet sixteen i would take that success now and worry about 4 years from now when it happens.
Sweet 16???  Give me what youíre having & make it a double

mjsphd

« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2019, 10:26:12 pm »

Young didn’t leave, he declared for the draft which was very dumb, Babb, Bryant showed they weren’t good enough to play in the SEC and Hall had off the court issues, pay more attention next time.

Just checked on Mr. Babb, who now goes by Weiler-Babb at #21 Iowa State in the Big 12. Plays 33 minutes a game- averages 9.5 points (11.3 last year), 4.5 points, and 4.2 rebounds.  My guess is that he could play in the SEC.  Probably not a star, but a solid player. 

Hogmatic

« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2019, 11:03:08 pm »

What happened with his exit and did it have any impact upon tonight's game?

moses_007

« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2019, 09:05:51 am »

He missed his mama... 

Letsroll1200

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2019, 09:10:23 am »

Transfers is not a Arkansas issue it's just the state of college basketball. TCU has 3 transfers at the break already. Yuat Alok, Angus McWilliam and Kaden Archie.

The Hogfather

« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2019, 09:15:09 am »

Transfers is not a Arkansas issue it's just the state of college basketball. TCU has 3 transfers at the break already. Yuat Alok, Angus McWilliam and Kaden Archie.

I understand.  Sad state of affairs.

« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2019, 11:30:42 pm »

Well there goes our best free throw shooter

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2019, 12:00:45 am »

I donít care what was thought or said.  I care about size/skill.  He didnít have the skillset to play a legit guard spot.  We may call him a guard, but he was/is a small forward who wants to eventually have the skills to be a taller guard.

You simply, donít know that. So youíre speaking from a place of ignorance. Having seen the kid in practice, and talking to the coaches, he is a guard. A big guard. But a guard nonetheless.

The Hogfather

« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2019, 06:56:03 am »

You simply, donít know that. So youíre speaking from a place of ignorance. Having seen the kid in practice, and talking to the coaches, he is a guard. A big guard. But a guard nonetheless.

In theory, not reality.

HoopS

« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2019, 11:30:41 am »

Next season, Jordan Phillips will be remembered as the next Michael Jordan who Mike ran off.

Corkscrew Johnson

• Hey Houston, hold onto my rope!!
« Reply #133 on: January 15, 2019, 12:32:34 pm »

Next season, Jordan Phillips will be remembered as the next Michael Jordan who Mike ran off.

Probably will just be remembered as a talented kid who could have contributed meaningfully after a year of experience and maturation. We will likely be reliant on 7 players again next year.

Let me ask you a question: would we be undefeated right now with Darius Hall?  He wouldn't have to be "Michael Jordan" to have contributed at least 4-5 points a game for us.  Looking at our losses, that would have won us every game expect maybe Florida.  I would take 15-0 or 14-1 right now.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2019, 12:44:11 pm »

Probably will just be remembered as a talented kid who could have contributed meaningfully after a year of experience and maturation. We will likely be reliant on 7 players again next year.

Let me ask you a question: would we be undefeated right now with Darius Hall?  He wouldn't have to be "Michael Jordan" to have contributed at least 4-5 points a game for us.  Looking at our losses, that would have won us every game expect maybe Florida.  I would take 15-0 or 14-1 right now.
we canít help his off the court issues

HogBreath

« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2019, 01:08:03 pm »

we canít help his off the court issues
If you're able to beat up bears, a few off the court challenges should be easy enough.

The Hogfather

« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2019, 01:12:50 pm »

I'm frustrated by guys like Phillips/Hall because they clearly could've been SIGNIFICANT contributors if they just stuck around for a little bit longer.  Hell, Hall already was and Phillips likely would've been in a few more weeks (if he started shooting a little better and actually put in the effort needed to get better/have better results once he got on the court).

With those 2, I think we would have a much more complete team.  We definitely would've won 2-3 more games, in my opinion.

HoopS

« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2019, 02:36:24 pm »

impossible to know but with the roster as-is, we would be undefeated right now with better FT shooting.

I was a fan of Hallís. Sat by his mom a game and enjoyed chatting with her. He had upside but was far from a finished product. I would have liked to have seen him here long term but there seems to be more to the story than anything that happened or didnít happen on the court.

Some will absolutely use Phillips leaving as a way to gig Anderson. Itís actually comical and I look forward to seeing how big this fish ends up.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas