• 10,332,217 Posts
• 409,027 Topics
• 23,362 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: JUST IN: Freshman Jordan Phillips will transfer from Arkansas.  (Read 7196 times)

woopiggohuskies314

• Walk-On
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
JUST IN: Freshman Jordan Phillips will transfer from Arkansas.
« on: January 08, 2019, 04:01:20 pm »

Jeff Goodman reporting he is transferring.
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1082757342498881538

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
Re: Jordan Phillips
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 04:07:16 pm »

There goes that scholarship we were looking for.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 04:07:32 pm »

That's interesting and odd.  Did he just leave the team?  Mike seemed to be upping his minutes and putting him in during critical times.  Kid just looked a little rusty and out of basketball shape which is to be expected after being out with an injury. 

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 04:08:13 pm »

Sad. Another talented freshman transferring year 1. Does his scholarship go to Javon Franklin? We need a backup 3 behind Jones. Or you could go small off the bench next year with Hill, Sills, and KES (who I also worry about transferring).

Hog Fan...DOH!

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 04:09:13 pm »

Ug, sucks.  Coming off an injury, he had a slow start getting in shape.  I just don't get these kids needing the quick fix.  MA and staff would make this kid better.  I guess if he leaves now and enrolls elsewhere, he'll be eligible next Spring somewhere?  That's just more time he doesn't get to play and improve.

isavedjazz

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 04:15:00 pm »

These kids are so soft smh. Hope Mike finds a better use for his scholarship

The Hogfather

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 04:20:16 pm »

WTH?  How weird.  Surely he wasn't expect to come back from injury and be a starter right away as as freshman.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:18:32 pm by The Hogfather »

Hog Fan...DOH!

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 04:20:26 pm »

That's interesting and odd.  Did he just leave the team?  Mike seemed to be upping his minutes and putting him in during critical times.  Kid just looked a little rusty and out of basketball shape which is to be expected after being out with an injury. 

I'm still confused by Darius Hall leaving.  I really don't blame Mike for this.  Kids are pulling the trigger on transfer way, way too quickly IMO.

WooPig90

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 04:20:48 pm »

I'm still confused by Darius Hall leaving.  I really don't blame Mike for this.  Kids are pulling the trigger on transfer way, way too quickly IMO.

Off the court issues

Pumbaa

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 04:20:57 pm »

I had a feeling this might happen at the end of the year but I didnít expect it mid season. I wonder if this makes any difference in Hill playing this year or not?

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 04:21:26 pm »

Sad. Another talented freshman transferring year 1. Does his scholarship go to Javon Franklin? We need a backup 3 behind Jones. Or you could go small off the bench next year with Hill, Sills, and KES (who I also worry about transferring).
KES isnít transferring, he and his family have a very good relationship with CMA and staff and his buddy BT is coming in 20í who is a stud.

Superhog1959

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 04:21:55 pm »

Hate to see any player leave. If we recruited him, it was for a reason. If he came here, it was for a reason. But if he leaves, there must be a reason. Maybe he just feels like his PT will be limited, even in coming years.

daprospecta

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 04:24:26 pm »

I don't get it. We were upping his minutes and he seemed to be coming along. Strange.

The Hogfather

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 04:25:22 pm »

I don't get it. We were upping his minutes and he seemed to be coming along. Strange.

Makes no sense.

ttalmadge

• Global Moderator
  • Bench Warmer

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 04:28:23 pm »

Makes no sense.
its going to be for the best I believe, Hill, Franklin and a big man which might take up the transfer that could be had later on after the season.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 04:28:38 pm »

KES isnít transferring, he and his family have a very good relationship with CMA and staff and his buddy BT is coming in 20í who is a stud.

Good to know.  Love Key.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 04:31:08 pm »

Phillips leaving secures playing time for KES. I'm less worried now. I'd like to see him stay. I think he has big time potential as a scorer. Shots just arent falling for him right now.

I wish BT was a for sure lock. Dont know if that's the case yet.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 04:36:11 pm »

I had a feeling this might happen at the end of the year but I didnít expect it mid season. I wonder if this makes any difference in Hill playing this year or not?

Playing Hill this year would be a massive mistake. We will be fine with a 9 man lineup the rest of the way.

Harris / Sills
Joe / KES
Jones
Bailey / Osabuohien
Gafford / Chaney

MakingPlays

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 04:36:41 pm »

I thought he was very likely to transfer at the end of the season if he didn't crack the rotation by then, but transferring now when CMA was just starting to make him apart of the rotation makes no sense at all.  What did he expect, to miss most of the off-season and first part of the season with an injury and come back and suddenly play 20+ MPG?  All he had to do was keep working.

Oh well, though, there's Javon's scholarship.  Trading his remaining 3 1/2 years for 3 years of Javon I'll take it.

hogfanshan

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 04:38:21 pm »

To me...this is a head-scratcher.

Hawggy_Style

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 04:39:12 pm »

Need to start avoiding these soft kids.

MakingPlays

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 04:46:09 pm »

Well, I will say it doesn't get much closer than the Whitt and Watkins family relationship and Jimmy Whitt transferred out.  Jimmy was Manny Watkins best friend.  So you never say never. 

But, I do agree the Keyshawn is a very unlikely candidate.  He's going to be a good player for us.  You can tell when he gets interviewed he loves being here, always talks about how he likes the staff and how they encourage him.  He's also been quoted on Bryce Thompson articles telling Bryce how much he loves it here and wants him to be here. 

SONofHAM

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 04:46:57 pm »

its going to be for the best I believe, Hill, Franklin and a big man which might take up the transfer that could be had later on after the season.
So you think it's good to lose players already on the team so we can MAYBE get a player you like better later on?  No, this isn't good.  Just like it wasn't good when Young, Babb, Hall, Bryant etc left.

311Hog

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 04:47:34 pm »

Playing Hill this year would be a massive mistake. We will be fine with a 9 man lineup the rest of the way.

Harris / Sills
Joe / KES
Jones
Bailey / Osabuohien
Gafford / Chaney

i don't think playing hill is a mistake i think we should let him play if he wants to, get him one year with Gafford, and another year with Joe because you know Joe isn't staying 4 years.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 04:47:47 pm »

During Games or after when I replay the games I usually look at the bench and see how they react to good plays and you could tell JP wasnít happy, he wouldnít ever get up from his seat and just acted like he didnít want to be there but KES, DS and RC would get up and be happy for his teammates, shows they are team players even though they arenít starting.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 04:50:07 pm »

i don't think playing hill is a mistake i think we should let him play if he wants to, get him one year with Gafford, and another year with Joe because you know Joe isn't staying 4 years.

But Hill is staying 4 years. Him wasting a year right now is a mistake. He is not ready to play right now. He hasn't even had an offseason with the team. Look at how long it has taken Sills to get comfortable. KES still isn't settled in. I would make no sense to play Hill 2-5 minutes a game and burn his scholarship unnecessarily.

isavedjazz

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 04:50:10 pm »

WTH?  How weird.  Surely he wasn't expect to come back from injury and be a start right away as as freshman.

!!!

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 04:50:26 pm »

So you think it's good to lose players already on the team so we can MAYBE get a player you like better later on?  No, this isn't good.  Just like it wasn't good when Young, Babb, Hall, Bryant etc left.
Young didnít leave, he declared for the draft which was very dumb, Babb, Bryant showed they werenít good enough to play in the SEC and Hall had off the court issues, pay more attention next time.

KlubhouseKonnected

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 04:51:55 pm »

I was floored by Hall is well. One would have expected him to be a serious part of this yearís team.

Hog Fan...DOH!

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 04:52:52 pm »

During Games or after when I replay the games I usually look at the bench and see how they react to good plays and you could tell JP wasnít happy, he wouldnít ever get up from his seat and just acted like he didnít want to be there but KES, DS and RC would get up and be happy for his teammates, shows they are team players even though they arenít starting.

You may be right.  I saw JP as a more talented Adrio.  The guy definitely had a big time role on this team going forward.   

I guess kids see College as just another AAU team nowadays. 

MakingPlays

Re: JUST IN: Freshman Jordan Phillips will transfer from Arkansas.
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 04:55:29 pm »

Question for Kevin, I noticed you said you weren't shocked.  Were you hearing things before this that he was unhappy or he was thinking about transferring?

MakingPlays

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 04:57:44 pm »

I noticed that as well, thought he was just a laid back guy, but yea I agree I never seen him smile, never seen him really cheer and appear to be happy on the sidelines.  At the most you'd see a small clap or something.

HawgsPolo

• Varsity
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 04:59:14 pm »

Buh bye and best wishes kiddo

311Hog

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2019, 05:01:37 pm »

But Hill is staying 4 years. Him wasting a year right now is a mistake. He is not ready to play right now. He hasn't even had an offseason with the team. Look at how long it has taken Sills to get comfortable. KES still isn't settled in. I would make no sense to play Hill 2-5 minutes a game and burn his scholarship unnecessarily.

i have no idea if Hill will stay 4 years or not, Hill played with a good portion of our roster in AAU, it won't take him long at all to blend in, i don't think he would only play a few minutes a game i think his contribution "could" be significant.

I guess my feeling is if, MA and the rest of the team sees him in practice and feels like he would be an X factor if you will for this season that possibly get over that hump and into the sweet sixteen i would take that success now and worry about 4 years from now when it happens.

MakingPlays

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2019, 05:02:48 pm »

Harris / Sills
Joe / KES
Jones
Bailey / Osabuohien
Gafford / Chaney

I'm with you, I wouldn't waste Hill's redshirt.  He'd be losing a whole year to only play 17 games.

We will be fine with our current rotation. Then if something happens to need more guard depth, Gabe is a capable at playing the wing spot and Henderson can give us that 3 or 4 minutes at the 5 spot if needed.

imtad16

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2019, 05:10:53 pm »

Jeff Goodman reporting he is transferring.
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1082757342498881538

Oh good grief. What the heck, is giving a place 5 months considered giving something a shot to 18/19-year-olds these days? At least Hall gave it a full season. This is silly. Next season maybe we have a player leave when things don't go as expected after 2 months and the next after a month and so on. Unless there is some extenuating circumstances that have yet to come out this appears to be an opportunity for a kid to learn mental toughness.

Letsroll1200

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2019, 05:13:16 pm »

This kid is a stud! He really struggled to make it back to the campus after the break. He will be missed! This is at the feet of Mike Anderson. He continues to play upperclassmen no matter what. Beard last year and Bailey this year. It's a shame not to play the best player. These kids see Bailey missing lay ups.

labb

• Senior
  • lower arkansas basketball fan
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2019, 05:14:50 pm »

kid could have just been homesick. Happens. As the other poster posted, he did not seem to be very happy.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2019, 05:15:28 pm »

Middle of the season. Man these kids. Stick it out for the season.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2019, 05:16:21 pm »

This kid is a stud! He really struggled to make it back to the campus after the break. He will be missed! This is at the feet of Mike Anderson. He continues to play upperclassmen no matter what. Beard last year and Bailey this year. It's a shame not to play the best player. These kids see Bailey missing lay ups.
Phillips is 3-20 this season, what do you expect CMA to do?? Keep him out there and ride a guy shooting 15 percent.

imtad16

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 05:17:42 pm »

So, you think it's okay for a kid to leave if not getting to play as much as he should after 5 months is acceptable (Also, early seaons injury)? Even if he should be playing a bit more, leaving after 5 months when things are working out as well as a kid thinks is between a kids own ears, not at the feet of the coach. If he plays well over time he earns more PT. I get your point if this happened over a season or 2, but not after 5 months.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2019, 05:18:00 pm »

Call it like it is   Bye quitter

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2019, 05:19:14 pm »

Wonder what genius is in his ear, to pull this move now

imtad16

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2019, 05:20:46 pm »

Middle of the season. Man these kids. Stick it out for the season.

No kidding and that is being generous. 1 season is not too much to ask. If I'm a coach I might now be tempted ask a kid while recruiting them, "will you leave, if after mid-season everything isn't perfectly the way you think they should be?"

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2019, 05:23:05 pm »

Question for Kevin, I noticed you said you weren't shocked.  Were you hearing things before this that he was unhappy or he was thinking about transferring?

Surprised a bit that he's leaving this soon, but based on things I've heard he was 1 of 3 candidates I saw leaving by the spring. Some folks I trust saw him as a future starter, but he was so far behind due to the injuries and with the roles that wings Isaiah Joe and Mason Jones carved out and seem entrenched, I could see this coming eventually.

Arkansas in a bad-luck stretch with wing/SFs when you look at KGarland, DHall, and now JPhillips. Had the young man remained healthy, he's likely in the Top 7-8 rotation. Players want minutes and roles out of the gates, though, and patience is a rare commodity these days.

Pumbaa

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2019, 05:23:22 pm »

He and Bailey donít even play the same spot on the floor man. Get a clue. Jones, joe, sills, and KES are getting his minutes. I donít think heís earned more time than them judging by in game play. Transfers are a thing across college basketball. This is not the worst thing that could have happened.

HoopS

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2019, 05:24:35 pm »

sorry but thatís garbage. Kid was struggling and more PT would have only hurt the team. Ridiculous.

I just sent 9 kids to college for baseball. Of that, 2 are ready to transfer and another already has. They didnít make an informed decision as I had talked to them about and it didnít take long for them to realize it wasnít the right fit. Happens all the time in all sports.   

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2019, 05:24:52 pm »

He and Bailey donít even play the same spot on the floor man. Get a clue. Jones, joe, sills, and KES are getting his minutes. I donít think heís earned more time than them judging by in game play. Transfers are a thing across college basketball. This is not the worst thing that could have happened.
Yes, I thought it was a very very bad post also.

HogSkinsDisease

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2019, 05:24:59 pm »

Off the court issues

Grades possibly?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas