• 10,349,944 Posts
• 409,553 Topics
• 23,410 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hats off to Dabo for QB situation  (Read 1460 times)

pigzwillrise

• All-American Hogvillian
  • WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
Hats off to Dabo for QB situation
« on: January 07, 2019, 10:36:46 pm »

Hats off to Daboís handling of QB situation. He handled the Kelly Bryant/Lawrence situation exactly how it should have been handled and now he is reaping the rewards of making a great decision. They didnít get emotional about their decision. They didnít try to play both sides of the fence. They went with the QB they thought gave them the best chance to win. Then when KB whines about it they let him move along. Again, Clemson coaching staff handled the whole thing with class and look like geniuses now.  KB sure wasnít good enough to lead this team to where they are now. Well played Dabo.

Oliver

Re: Hats off to Dabo for QB situation
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 10:42:54 pm »

Oh to be in a situation where we have to pick between those two QBs.  I hope Chad gets us there.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 12:12:09 am »

Oh to be in a situation where we have to pick between those two QBs.  I hope Chad gets us there.
no kidding. talk about 1st world problems.

cardinalandwhite

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 12:14:16 am »

Also, think about his recruiting cred now.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 01:32:28 am »

Also, think about his recruiting cred now.

I don't think that was exactly a problem before. Hunter Johnson, a 4 star QB was 3rd string and left before the season.

They have another 4 star coming in from CT even with the presence of Lawrence.. the rich were getting richer even before the game tonight.

The word "talent" is overused to the point of absurdity by fans and media. Yes, you must have it, but talent is in the eyes of the beholder.

Jon Gruden raved about Nathan Peterman's "talent" before the 2017 NFL draft. Had him as a 2nd rounder, everyone else said 5th or 6th round..

According to the recruiting sites, all knowing according to many of the same "experts" above, Alabama has been ranked 1,1,1,1 and 5 in the 5 classes that would make up this year's team.

Clemson was ranked 16,9,11,16 and 7, meaning Clemson's BEST class in the last 5 was still 2 spots below Alabama's WORST class.

How did that turn out? Was Alabama really prepared that poorly compared to Clemson or was Clemson's talent underrated by the services? Or 'Bama's that overrated?

Overall, I think the recruiting services do a good job, but they are hardly infallible. If those rankings were accurate, 'Bama should have a staff shake up because there is NO WAY the Tide's players that played tonight are that much better than Clemson's.

I would opine that the talent was virtually even, even before tonight having seen Clemson a few times. I still thought 'Bama would win a close one, but I did think Clemson had a puncher's chance, unlike many on here.

No way I expected a Clemson blowout. The torch has passed in CFB. With two NCs in 3 years, both of them following wins over 'Bama, a 2-2 record vs them in the CFB playoffs, Clemson, not Alabama is the premier team in college football.

I'm not ready to write off Alabama by any means due to one and a half bad games in the CFP. They will still be the overwhelming favorite in the SEC in 2019 and one of 4 picked to go to the CFP again.

But they are no longer #1 in the nation. After blowing out all comers in the first 12 games, GA had them down by 2 TDs, OU outscored them 34-17 after starting out down 0-28, so counting tonight the Tide was outscored 78-33 in the last 6 quarters of the season.

For perspective, Saban had not lost a game by over 14 points since 2006 when he was with the Miami Dolphins..

Again, they are far from dead but this kind of loss could spark the kind of fan uproar there that could make Saban walk away before he's 80. It looked like he might go on until then, but now the fickle Bammers could turn on him.

The crime rate in the state will probably double overnight. At least we now know SOMEONE has Saban's kryptonite. It could get ugly there, at least we can hope so to hasten Saban's exit.

And don't say Dabo will go there for sure. He has a sweet deal at Clemson with 2 of their 3 NCs. Any season at 'Bama that is not undefeated would have fans there screaming for his scalp in spite of his being an alum. Ask Ray Perkins or DuBose how that worked out for them..

AirWarren

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Football impotence of the Midwest
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 09:22:36 am »

We are too worried about hurting the "home state" kid feelings around here.

Dabo and Clemson is all in.

Arkansas is trapped in '64 with the good ole boy routine.

hawgtime

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 10:08:03 am »

I don't think that was exactly a problem before. Hunter Johnson, a 4 star QB was 3rd string and left before the season.

They have another 4 star coming in from CT even with the presence of Lawrence.. the rich were getting richer even before the game tonight.

The word "talent" is overused to the point of absurdity by fans and media. Yes, you must have it, but talent is in the eyes of the beholder.

Jon Gruden raved about Nathan Peterman's "talent" before the 2017 NFL draft. Had him as a 2nd rounder, everyone else said 5th or 6th round..

According to the recruiting sites, all knowing according to many of the same "experts" above, Alabama has been ranked 1,1,1,1 and 5 in the 5 classes that would make up this year's team.

Clemson was ranked 16,9,11,16 and 7, meaning Clemson's BEST class in the last 5 was still 2 spots below Alabama's WORST class.

How did that turn out? Was Alabama really prepared that poorly compared to Clemson or was Clemson's talent underrated by the services? Or 'Bama's that overrated?

Overall, I think the recruiting services do a good job, but they are hardly infallible. If those rankings were accurate, 'Bama should have a staff shake up because there is NO WAY the Tide's players that played tonight are that much better than Clemson's.

I would opine that the talent was virtually even, even before tonight having seen Clemson a few times. I still thought 'Bama would win a close one, but I did think Clemson had a puncher's chance, unlike many on here.

No way I expected a Clemson blowout. The torch has passed in CFB. With two NCs in 3 years, both of them following wins over 'Bama, a 2-2 record vs them in the CFB playoffs, Clemson, not Alabama is the premier team in college football.

I'm not ready to write off Alabama by any means due to one and a half bad games in the CFP. They will still be the overwhelming favorite in the SEC in 2019 and one of 4 picked to go to the CFP again.

But they are no longer #1 in the nation. After blowing out all comers in the first 12 games, GA had them down by 2 TDs, OU outscored them 34-17 after starting out down 0-28, so counting tonight the Tide was outscored 78-33 in the last 6 quarters of the season.

For perspective, Saban had not lost a game by over 14 points since 2006 when he was with the Miami Dolphins..

Again, they are far from dead but this kind of loss could spark the kind of fan uproar there that could make Saban walk away before he's 80. It looked like he might go on until then, but now the fickle Bammers could turn on him.

The crime rate in the state will probably double overnight. At least we now know SOMEONE has Saban's kryptonite. It could get ugly there, at least we can hope so to hasten Saban's exit.

And don't say Dabo will go there for sure. He has a sweet deal at Clemson with 2 of their 3 NCs. Any season at 'Bama that is not undefeated would have fans there screaming for his scalp in spite of his being an alum. Ask Ray Perkins or DuBose how that worked out for them..

good post.

excited for spring ball.

southeasthog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Resident Inspector
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 10:15:50 am »

Yeah thatís why Cole started the first game instead of Ty.

jkstock04

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 10:26:49 am »

Great thoughts here. Not sure I agree with everything but lots of food for thought in this post.

I will say that the stat still holds that no team has ever won a NC without at least 1 top ten recruiting class in the previous 4 years. Though Clemson skeetered close to that.

You gotta think after this win they will have no problem compounding top 10 Bama like classes the next couple of years at least. This was an eye opening, dominant, soul crushing beat down where Bama lost their will to even be out there and quit...kind of like a run of the mill Hog conference game lol. That's what I enjoyed about it the most... watching Alabama last night was pretty much like watching the Hogs the past couple of years, especially as the game wore on.

But, main point being with all that is Clemson has now taken the pedestal of top bully in college football....not Alabama. New story line now and I much prefer it to same ole Bama dominance we are so used to.

A close game and loss maybe not...but this was so bad it has the feeling to it as the beginning of the end of Bamas reign.

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 10:48:13 am »

First, I think the Clemson staff outfoxed the Alabama staff in their preparations for the game last night.  Saban commented during the short interview at the half that Clemson had "borrowed" some stuff from other teams that they were not prepared for and that they would have to fix that at the half.  They never did fix it.  Alabama's DBs were getting manipulated out of position all night leaving WR's open all over the field.  In contrast, Alabama was the same as they always are, and seemed unable to solve Clemson's redzone defense.  It seemed that Bama got panicked early in the 2nd quarter with how easy Clemson was moving the ball.  Clemson put a great game plan together along with great execution and never let Alabama assert itself. Alabama was chasing all night instead of dictating the game.  They were mere mortals last night and got hammered by a better prepared team.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 10:54:15 am »

Yeah the best thing they did was make a decisive decision, and then let KB go.  If KB had stayed even with TL entrenched as the starter it could have caused a split locker room.  Best way to avoid it is to not have one of them around. The new rule allowed Dabo to do that with KB.  KB gets to have 1 more year somewhere else and Clemson got to avoid any drama.  Rarely do situations work out that well for both parties but kudos to Dabo for pulling it off.  He is one of the genuine guys out there so not surprising that it ended that way.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 10:54:33 am »

I feel so sorry for both those teams. Both sat Heisman caliber QB's on the bench for newbies. What a nice place to be.

jkstock04

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 10:57:00 am »

Yeah the best thing they did was make a decisive decision, and then let KB go.  If KB had stayed even with TL entrenched as the starter it could have caused a split locker room.  Best way to avoid it is to not have one of them around. The new rule allowed Dabo to do that with KB.  KB gets to have 1 more year somewhere else and Clemson got to avoid any drama.  Rarely do situations work out that well for both parties but kudos to Dabo for pulling it off.  He is one of the genuine guys out there so not surprising that it ended that way.
Dabo wanted him to stay and said KB was making a mistake. At least he said as much to the cameras...whether that was PR BS stuff I'm not sure.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 10:59:13 am »

Dabo wanted him to stay and said KB was making a mistake. At least he said as much to the cameras...whether that was PR BS stuff I'm not sure.

Well yeah who wouldn't want that insurance policy. But at the same time if Dabo really felt that way he may have not been thinking about the locker room problems it could have caused so either way I think it worked out best for him/Clemson and KB.  Could just chalk it up to good karma which often comes with being a good person.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 11:00:47 am »

Wouldn't have looked so great had Clemson's 3rd team QB not completed that 4th down pass vs Syracuse after Lawrence was knocked out of the game.  It was a risk and Dabo won.  Certainly was the obvious decision in terms of talent.  No brainer.  But it left Clemson vulnerable.  UGa would have made the playoffs had Hurts done as Bryant did. 

hawganatic

• Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 11:01:59 am »

Even worse, we are too worried about hurting recruits feelings by going after multiple quarterbacks at the same time.  How many times did people complain about going after Kelley out of fear of losing KJ?

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 11:06:54 am »

I'm not sure I would go that far.  I think it's probably more of a 1a and 1b rather than #1 and #2.  Until last night, you could have said the same thing about alabama (they had won 2 of the last 3 championships and were 2 and 1 vs Clemson).  I'm sure next year will probably be more of the same and come down to those two teams again. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 11:13:51 am »

Guessing some of this was 1:32 am euphoria.  A lot of jealousy and hate released. 

Bama had to replace 8 players from their 2017 defense including both safeties who left after their Jr seasons.  12 players drafted in total.   
Plus replaced assistant coaches again.  Yet they made it back to the NCG and have signed the #1 class.  Clemson only had to replace two 6R WRs and one defensive senior from 2017.  We've heard the end was coming before and Saban adjusted and reloaded.  They were not an experienced team this season at many positions. 

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 01:10:54 pm »

Make no mistake, if KB had wanted to come here, I would have been ok. He's a good player and guys transfer often.
But in a way, he almost looks selfish and we would have been taking a 'me-first' player.
Clearly...clearly...Trevor Lawrence is the better QB. He can make throws that Bryant cannot make...and Dabo knew that's what Clemson needed playing teams like Alabama. They didn't need a runner(although Lawrence is the full package and runs quite well himself)....they needed a polished passing game.
It was a no-brainer decision. Lawrence was the #1 recruit in the country.
For KB to say he didn't feel like he did anything to lose his job shows some tone-deafness.
The whole world knows now, if they didn't know already, that Lawrence is the superior player and KB was just pouting.
I'm not dejected we didn't get KB.

311Hog

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 01:18:04 pm »

I'm not sure I would go that far.  I think it's probably more of a 1a and 1b rather than #1 and #2.  Until last night, you could have said the same thing about alabama (they had won 2 of the last 3 championships and were 2 and 1 vs Clemson).  I'm sure next year will probably be more of the same and come down to those two teams again. 

^^this

Its a best of 5 series now. I think the revolving door at coordinator did Bama in among other things.  Your move Nick Saban =)

justmaybe

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 01:27:02 pm »

Iím hoping this brings bama down a notch. Dynasties donít last forever.it could start a ripple effect. And a comment last night could really ring true and made a difference in just the one game last night. The Clemson receiver from Alabama who wanted to go where there wasnít much staff turnover. A couple more players like that and there is another one game effect. Clemson will start having turnover now because their success will start raising Salary offers for their assistants. And then another dynasty will drop a notch. We just need to raise our bar

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 01:34:29 pm »

Iím hoping this brings bama down a notch. Dynasties donít last forever.it could start a ripple effect. And a comment last night could really ring true and made a difference in just the one game last night. The Clemson receiver from Alabama who wanted to go where there wasnít much staff turnover. A couple more players like that and there is another one game effect. Clemson will start having turnover now because their success will start raising Salary offers for their assistants. And then another dynasty will drop a notch. We just need to raise our bar

I wouldn't hold my breath on waiting for Alabama to start a downhill trend.  If I were a betting man, I'd bet they are BETTER next year.  They were rather thin on the D-Line and their secondary was young.  I just really wouldn't read too much into that one single game.

311Hog

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 01:38:30 pm »

hunger is a powerful thing, it is why repeating as champion is so hard.  The disappointment Clemson felt last year was more of a motivation to come back this year with something to prove than the joy of winning and trying to recapture that drive.

I would also bet that Bama comes back real hungry and real strong next year, that is of course unless Saban has had enough and calls it a day.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 01:51:36 pm »

hunger is a powerful thing, it is why repeating as champion is so hard.  The disappointment Clemson felt last year was more of a motivation to come back this year with something to prove than the joy of winning and trying to recapture that drive.

I would also bet that Bama comes back real hungry and real strong next year, that is of course unless Saban has had enough and calls it a day.

I will be surprised if he would be willing to go out like that. 

AirWarren

• Football impotence of the Midwest
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 01:52:56 pm »

I wouldn't hold my breath on waiting for Alabama to start a downhill trend.  If I were a betting man, I'd bet they are BETTER next year.  They were rather thin on the D-Line and their secondary was young.  I just really wouldn't read too much into that one single game.

Alabama football has been dominating since its inception. This is their standard. They may have a down decade or so, but Alabama football is here to stay.

311Hog

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 01:58:22 pm »

I will be surprised if he would be willing to go out like that. 
i would be to but he isn't getting any younger, and he is the driving force behind this juggernaut.

justmaybe

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 05:29:51 pm »

I expect them to be really good. I donít expect a downward spiral for sure. Or even a trend but if they can become beatable in the regular season (not by us for a while) for just a game or two. I think the biggest thing for them this year was losing all the dbs. For the last couple games Tua wasnít as good because he was so good early in the year, then an injury, then competition is better, and he makes some mistakes because he canít just go on auto pilot like he had been.
And I agree Clemson was the hungriest. Choose the underdog if things are equal. If you can make a case that one is the more hungry youíll then you take that one. Use to be 70% of the bowl games were won, not just covered the spread, by the underdog

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 05:45:37 pm »

lol... Bama will be in the playoff again next year... some of yall are dreaming..lol

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 06:20:36 pm »

I expect them to be really good. I donít expect a downward spiral for sure. Or even a trend but if they can become beatable in the regular season (not by us for a while) for just a game or two. I think the biggest thing for them this year was losing all the dbs. For the last couple games Tua wasnít as good because he was so good early in the year, then an injury, then competition is better, and he makes some mistakes because he canít just go on auto pilot like he had been.
And I agree Clemson was the hungriest. Choose the underdog if things are equal. If you can make a case that one is the more hungry youíll then you take that one. Use to be 70% of the bowl games were won, not just covered the spread, by the underdog

Every team can be beaten during the regular season.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 06:29:11 pm »

Besides Storey or Noland, who should've played?

Kelley did and we saw how that turned out. JSJ did, too. Is that who you wanted?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas