• 10,303,891 Posts
• 408,319 Topics
• 23,337 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have you ever seen a better freshman QB...  (Read 3699 times)

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
Re: Have you ever seen a better freshman QB...
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2019, 11:02:47 pm »

Randall 'Pink' Floyd comes to mind...

Check you later...

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2019, 11:06:44 pm »

I dare say you’re high.  Matt couldn’t throw like that.

High, no...  BUT Matt Jones QB'd under HDN. Think about that, then go back and re-read my post. That kid did more with his legs and pure will than anyone in Arkansas history. Had he received proper QB coaching and been in a system better suited for a mobile QB he would have been special. He was so good as a true freshman that Zac Clark got out of Fayetteville...

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2019, 09:05:24 am »

Stats are merely a way of quantifying performance.  But okay, forget about the stats.  Mahomes has a better arm, Mahomes is more athletic, and Mahomes is just plain better.

He didn't become better when the veteran QBs at Tech were injured and Kliff Kingsbury decided he had to play him, he was better when he got to Lubbock.  He passed for 605 yards and 5 TDs in the third round of the Texas 5A playoffs in the last high school game he ever played, then he threw for a Big 12 freshman record 598 yards and 6 TDs in the third college game he started and finished the next year as a true freshman.

He has just shown that he was not just the Texas High School Player of the Year, and not just the NCAA total offense leader both full seasons he played in college, but also the best QB and Most Valuable Player in the NFL in his first season as a starter...

But that's okay.  Trevor Lawrence is better than Mahomes was.  After all, he got more scholarship offers and won the championship on a team that also won two year ago with a different QB and has played in five straight college football playoffs...with three different QBs...and four of the last five championship games.

Besides, Gil Brandt said he would trade as many draft picks as it took to get him.  I wonder where Mahomes would go in the 2017 draft if it was done again today.
He would be the #1 pick... the furthest he would drop is #2.... i bet the chicago bears wish they could re do their pick..lol

UnknownNobody

« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2019, 09:10:39 am »

I dare say you’re high.  Matt couldn’t throw like that.

Jones was able to throw really well his first two years however he hurt his shoulder running the ball and then chose not to have surgery  (just did PT) and was limited after.

He was not next level like Lawrence but then again not many are.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2019, 09:21:24 am »

Matt jones could have been a better version of Vince young IMO

EastexHawg

« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2019, 03:08:56 pm »

Tom Brady - best freshman QB ever.

I think you are getting the idea.  "Best" doesn't necessarily mean "most acclaimed" or "most successful in terms of winning".  It's ironic that argument would be made on this board considering all the whining about Troy Smith, who by the way led the nation in passing, being given the Heisman over McFadden just because he was on the #1 ranked team. 

I don't know that much about Brady's high school career and subsequent development and therefore how "good" he was as a freshman.  There is no doubt about how great he has become over the years.

Wildhog

« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2019, 03:19:56 pm »

I think you are getting the idea.  "Best" doesn't necessarily mean "most acclaimed" or "most successful in terms of winning".  It's ironic that argument would be made on this board considering all the whining about Troy Smith, who by the way led the nation in passing, being given the Heisman over McFadden just because he was on the #1 ranked team. 

I don't know that much about Brady's high school career and subsequent development and therefore how "good" he was as a freshman.  There is no doubt about how great he has become over the years.

No freshman ever went 3/5 for 26 yds and an interception better than Tom Brady. 

HogPharmer

« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2019, 04:44:28 pm »

Y'all said the same things about the Alabama kid last year in the second half last year...and he crapped the bed this year.. Lawrence will crap the bed at some point too it's just the way it is..

If 14-1 and finishing as a Heisman finalist is considered "crapping the bed," then where do I sign up?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas