• 10,333,331 Posts
• 409,063 Topics
• 23,365 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday

Poll

Do you think Arkansas looks like a Tournament team this point in time?

Yes
No

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Up to this point, does Arkansas look like a Tournament team?  (Read 3643 times)

Sweet Feet

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Up to this point, does Arkansas look like a Tournament team?
« on: January 06, 2019, 07:54:32 pm »

What do you think

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
Re: Up to this point, does Arkansas look like a Tournament team?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 07:58:41 pm »

Yes. An NIT team.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hawg66

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 08:07:41 pm »

I voted no but I think the best answer is not yet.

revolution

• Hogvillian
  • Change is inevitable; growth is optional.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 08:32:41 pm »

Yes, I think this looks like an NCAA tournament team when you look at all the pieces - big man, point guard, shooters, gritty workers, backups who can contribute.

This team needs to shore up some areas - free throw shooting, consistent rebounding, consistent good offensive decision-making, identifying and closing out on shooters.

This generally looks like an NCAA team, but the question is will the leadership provide for the needed development so that this team reaches its maximum potential?

I hope so!

MikePiazza

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Chicks dig the long ball
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 09:08:33 pm »

They need 1-2 more signature wins to solidify resume, and to help buff out the WKU/GT losses.

Best chances:

at Tennessee
at Texas Tech
at Auburn
at Kentucky

If they go 2-2 in those four games, go 8-1 in the league at BWA and don't lose to any of the garbage teams (S. Carolina, A&M, Georgia), they SHOULD get in.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 09:14:39 pm »

Not with losses to Georgia Tech and Western Kentucky at HOME.

BigE_23

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 09:18:24 pm »

NCAA tourney talent, but...

RazorPiggie

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 09:20:05 pm »

No.

labb

• Senior
  • lower arkansas basketball fan
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 09:24:02 pm »

Well you all have your guesses and that is what they are. As of right now we are tied for 1st place in the SEC. What you think about that.

89ALUM

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 09:29:44 pm »

I see us going 20-11 regular season (10-8 conference), which would put us around 6th-7th-8th going into the SEC tournament.  We'd need at least one win or maybe two in the SEC tourney to be one of the last four in for NCAA.

But its more likely we'll be either first four out or a solid NIT team, getting to host one or even two games.  That would still be a great benefit for our young roster.  I'll be happy with it, and it would beat preseason expectations from the media.   http://www.secsports.com/article/25000391/media-picks-kentucky-2019-sec-champion

maxhog5

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 09:30:59 pm »

Arkansas has no one capable of driving the ball and getting their own shot.

hawgfan4life

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 10:14:16 pm »

Depends on which few minutes of any given game you are watching.  If Arkansas wins enough of their conference games, they will get into the NCAA despite what they are looking like.  Our fans like to complain about every conceivable variable about our team while ignoring their wins.  If we can have a winning conference record going into the SEC tournament and win a game there, we are likely an NCAA team.  That would give us 20 wins, place us in the top half of the conference, and despite all the talk about good and bad losses, we will be in decent shape to be in the discussion for a spot if we are sitting with at least 20 wins and at least one SEC tournament win.  From what I have seen, we are capable of greatly underachieving that mark or exceeding it by a good margin.  Too soon to really know what will happen with this team.  Considering that we have the youngest team in D1 or whatever the analysts keep stating, that all sounds about right.

Nickle-Pig

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 10:25:51 pm »

We better be

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 10:36:11 pm »

They need 1-2 more signature wins to solidify resume, and to help buff out the WKU/GT losses.

Best chances:

at Tennessee
at Texas Tech
at Auburn
at Kentucky

If they go 2-2 in those four games, go 8-1 in the league at BWA and don't lose to any of the garbage teams (S. Carolina, A&M, Georgia), they SHOULD get in.
so thatís 20-6 with 5 more games to play, bro they only need 20 to make the tourney most likely.

1highhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 02:05:20 am »

Not even close! 

(1) If Gafford could do more than dunk, had a 5-10' shot, didn't fall down when slightly bumped into, could hit ft's at least 70%.
(2) If we had guards that could drive the lane and create shots, dish, draw fouls, actually hit ft's around 78%.
(3) Please for the love of God give up the full court press!  Leaves wide open shooters on the opposing team and contributes to us losing frustrated Hog fans by them having massive coronaries.
(4) I don't know what all Mike has tried so far with this team and their ft shooting difficulties, I'm sure he has each one shoot at least 500 made free throws a day, if not, then shame on Mike.  If he is doing this and they're still this bad, bring in a damn hypnotist, I don't believe in that shimp, but I'd about try anything with those boys if it would help them make a FREE throw.

That's all I got.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 03:01:50 am »

If Wisconsin is then we are. If Villanova is we are  if Bama is we dang sure are.

Smithian

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 06:47:06 am »

Flip either WKU or GTech and I would say maybe bubble.

For now, no, the Razorbacks are not a tournament team. Lots of time to change that.

Breems

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 07:17:21 am »

No. The core of Gafford, Joe, Jones, and Harris is solid, but the rest of the team is way too inconsistent.

Hawg Red

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 08:01:07 am »

Who cares? It's January 7. This will only serve to get people fighting.

But I will say Arkansas is one of very many teams that have work to do to solidify a tournament spot. Some more than others.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 08:14:17 am »

Who cares? It's January 7. This will only serve to get people fighting.

But I will say Arkansas is one of very many teams that have work to do to solidify a tournament spot. Some more than others.

Itís gonna be fun... we havenít even gotten into the thick of the race. So much more basketball to play.

edemire

• Varsity
  • Author endorsed by Ronnie Brewer, Ken Hatfield
    • African-American Athletes in Arkansas: Muhammad Ali's Tour, Black Razorbacks & Other Forgotten Stories
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 08:32:04 am »

Absolutely agree. The freshmen have to stay engaged and positive that their learning curve will flatten as the SEC season rolls on. They have absorb the painful losses to come, learn from there, improve and keep improving.

It seemed like they did that after the Texas loss, and again after the Georgia Tech loss, so those are good signs that the team will improve throughout Feb.

Yes, I think this looks like an NCAA tournament team when you look at all the pieces - big man, point guard, shooters, gritty workers, backups who can contribute.

This team needs to shore up some areas - free throw shooting, consistent rebounding, consistent good offensive decision-making, identifying and closing out on shooters.

This generally looks like an NCAA team, but the question is will the leadership provide for the needed development so that this team reaches its maximum potential?

I hope so!

HoopS

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 08:57:21 am »

At this point, not yet.

Learning to close out winnable games is key. Heck, theyíd be 13-0 if they could shoot free throws at a higher clip.

Iíd love to hear that theyíre filling the gym after practice and before breakfast working on making FT a bit more automatic. If they do that, as simple as that sounds, then yes. If they donít, we wonít make it.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 09:51:33 am »

It's just too early to tell.  We've all seen flashes and we've all seen duds.  Time flies when you're having fun.  March will be here before you know it...

phadedhawg

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 01:21:32 pm »

I selected "no" but everything is still out in front of this team.  Beating A&M was a good first step. 

elksnort

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 03:21:59 pm »

Yes, mainly because their record is pretty good. They sort of look like a 12 seed.

lynbug

• Senior
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 03:40:21 pm »

I selected "no" but everything is still out in front of this team.  Beating A&M was a good first step.
They had a good start last Saturday.  Now, if they can stay in the top 4-5 in the SEC and win one in the SECT those bad home losses might not weigh them down.  But all of those two achievements will be tough.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2019, 05:49:28 pm »

Best chances:

at Tennessee
at Texas Tech
at Auburn
at Kentucky

I don't see any of the first 4 but still think they could get to 11-7 without.... though I think 9-9 is more likely..

hobhog

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 10:38:28 pm »

Well you all have your guesses and that is what they are. As of right now we are tied for 1st place in the SEC. What you think about that.

Seen this movie before.

sickboy

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 11:35:34 pm »

Right now, they look like they're going to develop into a tourney team to me. But who knows. They're so young it's hard to know how they'll react to adversity.

HawgnCorona

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2019, 12:24:37 am »

Do we want to peak at the wrong time? No...Ask this question the last week in Feb.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2019, 09:34:35 am »

SEC is going to be a buzz saw and outside of maybe TN it could be a really big middle. 

SC was at the bottom of the conf 5-7 before conference play started and ends up beating FL at FL.  Ok could argue that was a fluke, but then beat MSU in Columbia last night. 
A&M may be 0-2 but they played Kentucky to within 2 with about 7 min left in the second half.
Bama beats KY but then loses to LSU
OM looking better than expected right now.  11-2 and beat Vandy at Vandy to open SEC play.

The Hogfather

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2019, 09:38:20 am »

SEC is going to be a buzz saw and outside of maybe TN it could be a really big middle. 

SC was at the bottom of the conf 5-7 before conference play started and ends up beating FL at FL.  Ok could argue that was a fluke, but then beat MSU in Columbia last night. 
A&M may be 0-2 but they played Kentucky to within 2 with about 7 min left in the second half.
Bama beats KY but then loses to LSU
OM looking better than expected right now.  11-2 and beat Vandy at Vandy to open SEC play.

Completely agree.  SEC is strong this year, from top-to-almost-bottom.

The Hogfather

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2019, 09:41:16 am »

I voted yes.  If the question was whether or not Arkansas will make the Tournament, I would've answered no.  Hope I'm wrong, but the SEC looks absolutely rough.  I think if we would've beaten Texas/WKU, I would've answered yes to both.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2019, 09:45:24 am »

Win these next two games at Home, and you'll be sitting 12-3 (3-0) going to the matchup at Tennessee. While we SHOULD be 12-1 right now and probably close to the Top 25, we can still recover....but it will take a great coaching job by Mike to do so.

Let's safely assume we lose to Tennessee, dropping to 12-4 (3-1), we have a 4 game stretch against Missouri, Ole Miss, Georgia, and Texas Tech. No less than 2-2 there and preferably 3-1. Let's say that takes us to 15-5 following Georgia, going into a tough game at LSU.

That's what Mike will need to do to get us back into the discussion. He has made a comeback like this before, it's just unfortunate we even have to. Let's hope he does it.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2019, 09:52:18 am »

Andy Katz has updated his projection for the tourney based on how teams have played so far:
1 seed Tenn
3 UK
5 Miss St
5 AU
8 LSU
9 Ole Miss
10 Bama
10 Mizzou in play in game
https://www.ncaa.com/video/basketball-men/2019-01-08/mbk-andy-katz-bracket-breakdown

nwahogfan1

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2019, 10:00:57 am »

Our lack of inside toughness and scoring scares me in the SEC.  I do not see consistency there.  Also who will be our scorers when the make Joe and Jones put the ball on the floor?   

Until I see versatility in scoring I am sticking with 6-8 SEC wins.

GHGWPS501

• Bench Warmer
  • And... yada yada yada... the Hogs won.
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2019, 10:09:25 am »

I voted no.  However, it is crazy to think how close this team is to being 13-0 or 7-6.  Lot of close games.

pokeydaman

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2019, 10:12:29 am »

i voted no, but.... we are 7 points away from being undefeated. Little things cost us games.  free throws....a weak press...leaving shooters WIDE OPEN! Its all fixable stuff...whether Anderson can do it with this extremely young team remains to be seen.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2019, 01:11:17 pm »

Hell Alabama got in last year with a 19-15 regular season record and 8-10 in conf play, and went 2-6 in their final 8 games before selection Sunday.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2019, 01:59:41 pm »

Hell Alabama got in last year with a 19-15 regular season record and 8-10 in conf play, and went 2-6 in their final 8 games before selection Sunday.
its because they had Collin Sexton, the only reason, if you have a big time NBA player it draws attention so they are going to put you in there, thatís the only reason Oklahoma got in. Maybe Daniel gafford will get us in if we are on the bubble. Thatís the truth.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2019, 02:23:01 pm »

its because they had Collin Sexton, the only reason, if you have a big time NBA player it draws attention so they are going to put you in there, thatís the only reason Oklahoma got in. Maybe Daniel gafford will get us in if we are on the bubble. Thatís the truth.

TRUTH! No way Alabama or Oklahoma deserved in with the way they finished. Power of the superstar.

oldbooniehog

• Testing...testing
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2019, 10:13:53 pm »

After playing like they did against Florida tonight, they don't even look like an NIT team.

The Hogfather

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2019, 10:19:19 pm »

After playing like they did against Florida tonight, they don't even look like an NIT team.

CBI?

LAHogfan123

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2019, 10:23:49 pm »

I said no a long time ago, but I still lol when I see that people really believe this team is going to the NCAA Tournament.  But,, they will make a Tournament, so maybe that's what people are saying, just that they are meaning the SEC Tournament.

East Clintwood

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2019, 03:17:52 am »

I thought NIT before tonight's game -- now that feels too optimistic.

HogBreath

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2019, 04:12:58 am »

Would not be surprised if the SEC tournament turned out to be where the glorious fast forty roller coaster runs out of track.

hogfan1981

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2019, 05:06:00 am »

I thought NIT before tonight's game -- now that feels too optimistic.

There is always the CBI Tournament, so don't give up hope just yet.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2019, 05:57:45 am »

Win these next two games at Home, and you'll be sitting 12-3 (3-0) going to the matchup at Tennessee. While we SHOULD be 12-1 right now and probably close to the Top 25, we can still recover....but it will take a great coaching job by Mike to do so.

Let's safely assume we lose to Tennessee, dropping to 12-4 (3-1), we have a 4 game stretch against Missouri, Ole Miss, Georgia, and Texas Tech. No less than 2-2 there and preferably 3-1. Let's say that takes us to 15-5 following Georgia, going into a tough game at LSU.

That's what Mike will need to do to get us back into the discussion. He has made a comeback like this before, it's just unfortunate we even have to. Let's hope he does it.

Well, guess this ain't happening. For a split second, I almost forgot that we have a mediocre coach.

TNhawgfan

• Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2019, 07:12:44 am »

I voted no before last night. Now I don't even think NIT is in this team's future. 3 tourney appearances in 8 years  :puke:

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2019, 07:51:59 am »

Lotta folks named Homer here
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas