• 10,302,836 Posts
• 408,279 Topics
• 23,335 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Florida is favored according to ESPN?  (Read 3354 times)

OinkinOregon

Florida is favored according to ESPN?
« on: January 05, 2019, 10:03:06 pm »

Didnít Florida lose at home tonight?

Fan701

Re: Florida is favored according to ESPN?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 07:01:15 am »

Not surprised. The computers love Florida for some reason.  Kpom has them ranked #22.  They did look good against Butler last week, but they've mostly played below expectations.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 07:10:36 am »

I would much prefer to face Florida off a win than a loss. Rarely see a well coached team lose 2 in a row.

King Kong

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 07:17:48 am »

I would love to beat Florida back to back times. However Iím sure Kevaughn goes for like 40

The real Hogules

• My Hogs are bad ass!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 08:32:27 am »

After gutting out a tough road win, I'm expecting this team to loosen up a little on the offensive end and our outside shots will start to fall again. That would force teams out of their zones, resulting in Gafford getting more quality touches.
I like our chances at home against this particular Gator team.

HawgnCorona

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 08:33:11 am »

Did they have USC-E losing as well? 14 comeback on the gators home floor. We get the win here....

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 08:37:35 am »

Did they have USC-E losing as well? 14 comeback on the gators home floor. We get the win here....

Or Florida will regroup and come back on fire this game and we lose another game at home.

Superhog1959

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 08:44:29 am »

ESPN had A+M favored to beat us at 57%. Got to play the game.

skinnypig

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 08:46:38 am »

The matchup predictor just goes off the BPI of both teams means absolutely nothing

RaisinHog

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 08:54:44 am »

I hate that we get them off of a bad loss .. we got Georgia tech and Western Kensucky off of bad loss and they made us pay.. I do however think we should win

HawgnCorona

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 08:56:07 am »

Or Florida will regroup and come back on fire this game and we lose another game at home.

They havent been on fire all season, so Im not sure about the regrouping and starting a fire. It seems just as plausible for us defending home court and getting a win. I dont have as much confidence in the Gaytors...

Hogmatic

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 09:00:05 am »

Florida and UK both have schemes can wreak havoc on us if our shots aren't falling.  UF handily beat Butler last week which kicked us out of the NCAA first round.  UF and Butler play a style that can run when needed but very adept in the half court with great passing, great rebounding and sets to get backdoor cuts.  UF has better athletes so they like to run and drive to the basket more than Butler.

They have Allen but he is surrounded by young guards that may not handle our pressure.

HawgnCorona

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 09:11:13 am »

They also lost to Butler this year as well...and 2 losses at home and on a neutral court. So I like our chances of going 2-0 to start the season.Nothing scares me about Flo-Rida that would include KA.

King Kong

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 09:19:32 am »

Florida and UK both have schemes can wreak havoc on us if our shots aren't falling.  UF handily beat Butler last week which kicked us out of the NCAA first round.  UF and Butler play a style that can run when needed but very adept in the half court with great passing, great rebounding and sets to get backdoor cuts.  UF has better athletes so they like to run and drive to the basket more than Butler.

They have Allen but he is surrounded by young guards that may not handle our pressure.

That is not the same Butler team that beat us. Kelan Martin has graduated.

Butler did this season play Indiana really well

FineAsSwine

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 09:20:03 am »

They also lost to Butler this year as well...and 2 losses at home and on a neutral court. So I like our chances of going 2-0 to start the season.Nothing scares me about Flo-Rida that would include KA.

I actually like our chances to start off at 3-0 since our next two are at home.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 09:20:35 am »

2 totally different teams my man. Florida isnít the Florida weíre used to seeing. And again, our defense has been good this years just gotta take care of business at home.

HawgnCorona

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 09:45:25 am »

I actually like our chances to start off at 3-0 since our next two are at home.

Im with you on that 3-0 start...We have yet to play our style and win the game. This could be a perfect time to start. I will take my lumps at Tenner.

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 09:51:14 am »

I would much prefer to face Florida off a win than a loss. Rarely see a well coached team lose 2 in a row.

As always, if Iceman implies or predicts a hog loss, I double down on the money line. A winning tradition like no other.

Fan701

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 10:00:13 am »

Strange how Florida destroyed Butler in Gainesville last week but lost to them earlier in the season on a neutral court.  I guess that shows what homecourt advantage can do, as well as the degree of randomness and unpredictability there is in basketball.  Some days the shots fall, others they don't.

hogfan14

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 11:21:56 am »

A lot of Florida fans are wanting that coach gone this morning lol. Guess it sounds like every other fanbase after a loss though.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 11:30:48 am »

A lot of Florida fans are wanting that coach gone this morning lol. Guess it sounds like every other fanbase after a loss though.

Heís a good coach. Just young and inexperienced. Itís hard being the man that follows The Man. What Donovan did there would be hard for any coach to live up to

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 11:36:10 am »

Heís a good coach. Just young and inexperienced. Itís hard being the man that follows The Man. What Donovan did there would be hard for any coach to live up to

That's true. You get handed a solid program, but you also have to follow one of the best ever.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2019, 12:18:43 pm »

That's true. You get handed a solid program, but you also have to follow one of the best ever.

Kinda like CMA following in the footsteps of the Notorious N.O.L.A.N. two coaches removed. Minus the solid program part.

Hogmatic

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 01:06:41 pm »

2 totally different teams my man. Florida isnít the Florida weíre used to seeing. And again, our defense has been good this years just gotta take care of business at home.

I hope you're right.  We need momentum and confidence with a young team like this.   Hayes, Stone, Allen all look ok with newbies Locke and Nembhard at the guards but they shot terrible

sickboy

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2019, 01:08:01 pm »

Yep. Those are the only two outcomes. We either win or we lose.

hawg1221

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 06:33:20 am »

It's hard to compare teams by records and who they lost to. SC is a very physical team despite their record. Arkansas probably isn't as physical on the inside, despite having Gafford. Matchups of that nature can make a big difference. You never know, which is why they play the game. Maybe that difference is all Florida needs.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2019, 08:22:48 am »

Tom Murphy this morning shared my concern about playing Florida after a loss. They will likely regroup and come back focused for this game. Kevaughn Allen, who has been struggling this year and hasn't improved his game at all since his freshman year, is almost certainly going to go off for 20+ points against us.

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2019, 09:34:24 am »

Tom Murphy this morning shared my concern about playing Florida after a loss. They will likely regroup and come back focused for this game. Kevaughn Allen, who has been struggling this year and hasn't improved his game at all since his freshman year, is almost certainly going to go off for 20+ points against us.

Future #frozencoldtakes tweet to add to your canon

Same logic of regrouping and refocusing could apply to the hogs, coming home after a sloppy game in college station. I expect the hogs to clean up the fouls and FT shooting. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2019, 10:02:57 am »

I don't care who it is, I don't want to play a team after they lost a game they should have won.  It is an extra bit of motivation to get that bitter taste out of their mouth and prove they are better than what they showed, which they are.  I would much rather Florida had won a close game in regulation or OT.

Although I don't expect the Hogs to be over confident after beating A&M and the game still gave them plenty of things to work on the natural reaction after a game like that is to exhale.  It may be more emotionally draining than a close lose. 

I do hope the win at A&M gets more fans to the game.  Good crowd can make the difference in a close game.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2019, 10:09:36 am »

Future #frozencoldtakes tweet to add to your canon

Same logic of regrouping and refocusing could apply to the hogs, coming home after a sloppy game in college station. I expect the hogs to clean up the fouls and FT shooting. 

Remember, we lost to Georgia Tech AT HOME after they just lost to Garner Webb. We also lost to Western Kentucky AT HOME after they just lost to Missouri State.

I'm not saying we will lose, but we need to be cautious of this assumption we will beat Florida just because it is at home and they just had a bad loss. History tells us (just this year) that means nothing. History also tells us Allen shoots well against us (however, our perimeter defenders are better this year).

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2019, 10:35:13 am »

How the hell is Allen still there?  ;D

Seems like he's been having his game of the season against us for like 5 years in a row, now. I fully expect him to come back in to BWA and have his best game of the year, AGAIN, just like the last few times he's come back. He needs to be double-teamed, shadowed, harried, harassed, I don't care how but Mike can easily win this game by making sure Allen can't beat us.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2019, 10:37:42 am »

I don't care who it is, I don't want to play a team after they lost a game they should have won.  It is an extra bit of motivation to get that bitter taste out of their mouth and prove they are better than what they showed, which they are.  I would much rather Florida had won a close game in regulation or OT.

Although I don't expect the Hogs to be over confident after beating A&M and the game still gave them plenty of things to work on the natural reaction after a game like that is to exhale.  It may be more emotionally draining than a close lose. 

I do hope the win at A&M gets more fans to the game.  Good crowd can make the difference in a close game.
Agreed!

Little Lady Back

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2019, 10:44:36 am »

I'm concerned as well. Kevaughn always seems to have a career game against us EVERY YEAR! It seems as if he has been playing college ball for 12 years. He is a senior, correct?

The Hogfather

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2019, 10:46:03 am »

Yeah, this is Kevaughn Allen Iverson's NBA Finals Game 7.  He will shoot 35 times, score 34 points, and they'll win by 20+.  Everyone will talk about how he "killed" us and then he'll miss all 42 shots he takes in his next game against Tennessee, as they lose by 20+.

Wisco Pig

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2019, 10:47:13 am »

KeVaughn Allen vs. Arkansas

02/03/2016    Gainesville            2-6 from field,   10 points
03/10/2016    Nashville (SEC-T)  3-10 from field,  11 points
12/29/2016    Fayetteville           7-16 from field, 21 points
03/01/2017    Gainesville            5-6 from field,   12 points
01/17/2018    Gainesville            8-12 from field, 28 points
03/09/2018    St. Louis (SEC-T)   4-11 from field, 11 points

So, that's 6 games that Allen has played against Arkansas.   The 28-point game last January was an outstanding performance, no doubt about it.  Also, the 21 points three years ago in Fayetteville was impressive.

The interesting thing, however (at least to me), is that when you remove the 28-point game, Allen averages 13 points a game against us and shoots 43% from the floor.   For his career at Florida, he averages 12 points a game and shoots 42.5% from the floor.  In other words, outside of the one admittedly outstanding performance, KeVaughn's numbers against Arkansas are pretty close to his numbers against everyone else.

Little Lady Back

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2019, 10:49:22 am »

KeVaughn Allen vs. Arkansas

02/03/2016    Gainesville            2-6 from field,   10 points
03/10/2016    Nashville (SEC-T)  3-10 from field,  11 points
12/29/2016    Fayetteville           7-16 from field, 21 points
03/01/2017    Gainesville            5-6 from field,   12 points
01/17/2018    Gainesville            8-12 from field, 28 points
03/09/2018    St. Louis (SEC-T)   4-11 from field, 11 points

So, that's 6 games that Allen has played against Arkansas.   The 28-point game last January was an outstanding performance, no doubt about it.  Also, the 21 points three years ago in Fayetteville was impressive.

The interesting thing, however (at least to me), is that when you remove the 28-point game, Allen averages 13 points a game against us and shoots 43% from the floor.   For his career at Florida, he averages 12 points a game and shoots 42.5% from the floor.  In other words, outside of the one admittedly outstanding performance, KeVaughn's numbers against Arkansas are pretty close to his numbers against everyone else.

Interesting stat. It sure seemed like he did a lot more damage that that over the years. 

The Hogfather

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2019, 10:50:15 am »

He actually had one of his better games Saturday.  If he would play like he did last Saturday every game, he'd be a very good player.  Problem is, he thinks he's a shooter, so he takes 200 shots a game and his coach inexplicably tells him to shoot more.

4-6, 2-2 from 3, 10 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 0 turnovers, 0 fouls.

What he should do is try to get to the basket more because he can get there (just can't make shots) and get fouled (he can shoot FTs).  Yet, he normally shoots as many or more 3s as he does 2s.  Not good.

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2019, 11:09:48 am »

With our younger, faster defense this year, I think Mike needs to play some zone early. The goal here is to hopefully get Allen to miss a few and him start taking bad shots and hopefully us getting quick fast break points off them. The problem with this strategy is that I think to an extent, Mike tried this last January and Allen was hot and just shredded us. Maybe man with some double-teams when he tries to come inside is a better idea?

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2019, 10:46:36 am »

Ark +1.5, +105 money line, O/U 137

Taking ark in the money line and also the over.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2019, 02:52:39 pm »

Good thing we are playing Florida then, they are not well coached.

The Hogfather

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2019, 02:56:54 pm »

True.  Any coach telling Kevaughn Allen to shoot MORE can't be that great.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2019, 02:58:55 pm »

True.  Any coach telling Kevaughn Allen to shoot MORE can't be that great.

It seems the guys that play for White tend to regress over time.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2019, 03:44:11 pm »

69-65 Hogs

Florida's first road game since opening with an 81-60 loss to FSU.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2019, 03:52:56 pm »

ScrUF!

TushCrush

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2019, 04:13:07 pm »

ESPIN didn't figure in the Bailey factor. I think we got this  :-*

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2019, 04:29:43 pm »

ESPIN didn't figure in the Bailey factor. I think we got this  :-*

It depends if he finally got those bricks out of his drawers and can elevate. 

TushCrush

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2019, 05:58:05 pm »

It depends if he finally got those bricks out of his drawers and can elevate. 
Bailey knows bricks.
Mike brought him in out of Campti, LA out in the bojacks and coached him.
Good kid. Adrio doesn't mind mixing it up >:(
He also does a great interview now.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2019, 06:11:32 pm »

Pretty sure ESPN FPI had us favored to lose to WKU, too. We couldn't believe it. It was right.

ceegar

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2019, 08:52:41 pm »

they should be    we not very good this year   pretty young

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2019, 09:18:50 pm »

Completely disagree.  I think one of the better coaches in the SEC, especially on defense. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas