THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: UCF  (Read 3192 times)

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
Re: UCF
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2019, 04:08:33 pm »

Florida- 20.98 million (2017)
Texas - 28.3 million (2017)
Arkansas- 3.004 million (2017)
Oklahoma - 3.931 million (2017)
Missouri - 6.114 million (2017)
Alabama - 4.875 million (2017)
Mississippi - 2.984 million (2017)
Louisana - 4.684 million (2017)

What exactly is your point?   We’re much closer to Texas BTW.....

What’s your point?

And how many of those living in Florida are over 65. Over 20%. Less than 20% under 18.

lakecityhog

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2019, 04:11:17 pm »

How many of you actually believe that the Pac-12 champion is one of the "best" 8 teams in the country? Is a playoff about representing each conference or is it about putting the "best" 8 teams together?

NO artificial qualifiers - Take the top 6 and give #1 and #2 a bye, Or if people insist take the top 8. Whatever number you choose take the best teams within that number and to heck with conference standings or media bias.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2019, 04:30:41 pm »

I don’t think they should have been in the play off.  I do think they had talent all over the field that is way better than we currently have.

And for the “this game wasn’t as close as the score” statement; that fits when a team leading big puts in the 2nd and 3rd string and they give up some points at the end of the game.

This game was exactly as close as the score.  But for an onside kick recovery I believe they would have pulled out the win.  Admittedly we will never know.

LSU had all their starters in the game (except the ones kicked out) and were playing hard.  UCF just played well enough to make a comeback

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2019, 04:33:45 pm »

How many of you actually believe that the Pac-12 champion is one of the "best" 8 teams in the country? Is a playoff about representing each conference or is it about putting the "best" 8 teams together?

NO artificial qualifiers - Take the top 6 and give #1 and #2 a bye, Or if people insist take the top 8. Whatever number you choose take the best teams within that number and to heck with conference standings or media bias.

Yes to a 6 team playoff with byes.  Use the old BCS computer system to rank them.

Ethan2010

« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2019, 04:34:08 pm »

I don’t think they should have been in the play off.  I do think they had talent all over the field that is way better than we currently have.

And for the “this game wasn’t as close as the score” statement; that fits when a team leading big puts in the 2nd and 3rd string and they give up some points at the end of the game.

This game was exactly as close as the score.  But for an onside kick recovery I believe they would have pulled out the win.  Admittedly we will never know.

LSU had all their starters in the game (except the ones kicked out) and were playing hard.  UCF just played well enough to make a comeback
Lsu was down 9 starters on defense.....

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2019, 04:35:09 pm »

LSU has a number of defensive starters who elected not to play.

Jimbob111

« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2019, 04:36:55 pm »

I disagree completely. The only reason this game was even remotely competitive was because LSU was one injury away from putting in the water boy at corner or safety. They had a safety who was converted from receiver who had previously converted from safety.

If LSU had their starters from the regular season in the game, this was a slaughter for UCF. The best that UCF had to offer played against the 3rd and 4th string LSU defense at multiple positions.  The refs also tried to help UCF out a bit in blatant anti-SEC bias. Then, the announcers kept whining about UCF losing their starting QB. Well, they won their last 2 regular season games without him, why not this one?

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2019, 04:42:06 pm »

So much wrong.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2019, 04:46:24 pm »

I’m just happy we don’t have to witness another UCF national championship charade.  What an embarrassment.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2019, 04:47:51 pm »

If ucf plays with their starting qb, they would have a chance to beat most p5 schools

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2019, 04:50:15 pm »

If ucf plays with their starting qb, they would have a chance to beat most p5 schools

All they need to do is schedule them and play.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2019, 04:53:49 pm »

All they need to do is schedule them and play.

How many p5 teams would schedule them?

They are going to play Florida

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2019, 04:55:26 pm »

How many p5 teams would schedule them?

They are going to play Florida

So they changed their mind and accepted the FL offer?  Hadn’t heard that.  That’s a very fgood start.

hogfan1981

« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2019, 04:58:37 pm »

Exactly. Everyone talks about all the defensive players out for LSU, but QB is far and away the most important spot on the field. UCF’s starting QB was the most impactful omission from this game. Mack will be good but he is still a year or two away from being at the level of their starter.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2019, 05:05:34 pm »

LSU 548 yards
UCF 208

Passing
LSU 385
UCF 78

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2019, 05:08:06 pm »

So they changed their mind and accepted the FL offer?  Hadn’t heard that.  That’s a very fgood start.

I thought they had, but I could be wrong.

They should

The Hogfather

« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2019, 05:10:37 pm »

They’ll probably still claim a National Championship because they didn’t have their starting QB.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2019, 05:34:08 pm »

Sloppy game for the most part. LSU was unable to stick it in for TD's when they had the chance and traded for FG's (4) instead. Other than that and as sloppy of a game as it was in terms of penalties (14-145 yds for LSU, 12-104 yds for UCF), the LSU offense (#80) still managed to move through the UCF defense like crap through a goose (555 total yards) compared to UCF's "high powered" offense (#3) that produced just 250 total yards against a depleted defense.

Yes, I know that UCF's starting QB was out but so was almost all of LSU's secondary and as far as QB play goes, LSU hasn't had a tremendous difference maker at QB in years. Every time the LSU offense had a chance to start putting UCF away, they would fail to punch in a TD and settle for the FG. That's why it remained close enough for UCF to make it look closer than it really was in reality. It had a great deal more to do with LSU's offensive failures in the RZ than UCF's dominance as a team that sought to be deserving of being included in the play-off.

I wish UCF nor LSU had been missing anyone so that there would have been no excuses available for either side in this argument. Heck I wish we would have had that 8 team play off, then UCF could have been included (even though LSU was not good enough to have been included) and maybe that would silence some people. But look at it this way...had there been an 8 team play-off and UCF had been included, it would have made no difference except that they might have been beaten by more than they were.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 06:29:11 pm by MuskogeeHogFan »

1highhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2019, 06:44:13 pm »

Of course they did.  If they recruited all of their players exclusively from Florida I'd say there's a great chance they had better players than most teams from top 20 on down.  I don't know where all their players came from, but Florida has a ton of great players, and I'm sure that looking at the recruiting rankings over the past 4 years I bet they should be higher than what they are for UCF. 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2019, 07:01:43 pm »

I thought they had, but I could be wrong.

They should

Nope turned them down and they have caught some flack over doing so.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2019, 07:03:23 pm »

They’ll probably still claim a National Championship because they didn’t have their starting QB.

That boat won’t float. Guess how many players LSU had out.

The Hogfather

« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2019, 07:07:28 pm »

That boat won’t float. Guess how many players LSU had out.

Doesn’t matter if they make their own rings and bribe 1 publication to say they are the NCs.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2019, 07:09:23 pm »

Doesn’t matter if they make their own rings and bribe 1 publication to say they are the NCs.

And nobody with a brain will believe them.

troubleonthehill

« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2019, 07:22:58 pm »

And how many of those living in Florida are over 65. Over 20%. Less than 20% under 18.
That still means they have more under 18, than Arkansas has total population, though.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2019, 07:33:08 pm »

That still means they have more under 18, than Arkansas has total population, though.

True. They also have many more schools recruiting those players.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2019, 07:34:11 pm »

And nobody with a brain will believe them.

The dupes screaming for an 8 team playoff, so a team like UCF can get a shot will believe them.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2019, 07:49:44 pm »

UCF is a top 15 team this year.  They played another top 15 team in LSU and lost, in a good game.

All this noise about recruiting bases, injuries, etc is just noise. 

Yall are over complicating this darn.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2019, 08:02:03 pm »

UCF is a top 15 team this year.  They played another top 15 team in LSU and lost, in a good game.

All this noise about recruiting bases, injuries, etc is just noise. 

Yall are over complicating this darn.

Sloppy game for the most part. LSU was unable to stick it in for TD's when they had the chance and traded for FG's (4) instead. Other than that and as sloppy of a game as it was in terms of penalties (14-145 yds for LSU, 12-104 yds for UCF), the LSU offense (#80) still managed to move through the UCF defense like crap through a goose (555 total yards) compared to UCF's "high powered" offense (#3) that produced just 250 total yards against a depleted defense.

Yes, I know that UCF's starting QB was out but so was almost all of LSU's secondary and as far as QB play goes, LSU hasn't had a tremendous difference maker at QB in years. Every time the LSU offense had a chance to start putting UCF away, they would fail to punch in a TD and settle for the FG. That's why it remained close enough for UCF to make it look closer than it really was in reality. It had a great deal more to do with LSU's offensive failures in the RZ than UCF's dominance as a team that sought to be deserving of being included in the play-off.

I wish UCF nor LSU had been missing anyone so that there would have been no excuses available for either side in this argument. Heck I wish we would have had that 8 team play off, then UCF could have been included (even though LSU was not good enough to have been included) and maybe that would silence some people. But look at it this way...had there been an 8 team play-off and UCF had been included, it would have made no difference except that they might have been beaten by more than they were.

I think you are making it more simple than it really is. Whether anyone realizes it or not, UCF was unmasked today. They are good, sure. If they played a P-5 conference schedule all season long other than the Big 12, they might be a little better than an average team. Play-off deserving, no. They need to camp out on the doorstep of the Big 12 Commissioner and beg for an invite. It would help them to get better and it would help the Big 12(10).

raz1965

« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2019, 08:46:35 pm »

LSU was short 8 outstanding players on defense an still won the game, had LSU been full strength it would not have been close.

King Kong

« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2019, 09:00:22 pm »

LSU was short 8 outstanding players on defense an still won the game, had LSU been full strength it would not have been close.

Well, UCF was without their best player. Both sides can play this what if game.

UCF has lost 1 game in 2 seasons and beat Auburn last year. They have had an excellent run and are clearly a top 15 team

lakecityhog

« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2019, 09:07:19 pm »

Top 15 maybe top 20, but definitely not playoff caliber. Remember they just played the 3rd best team in the SEC with a pretty depleted roster.

Much like Boise their reputation has been built on catching a playoff wanting/expecting team in a bowl game that means very little when the playoff/BCS is missed. This time they caught a team with a coach that wants to keep the wolves away from his door and his team played like that.

Hogwild

« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2019, 09:08:22 pm »

LSU 548 yards
UCF 208

Passing
LSU 385
UCF 78

LSU had 32 1st downs

carolinahogger

« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2019, 08:14:06 am »

Game. Set. Match. You just nailed it. A four team playoff is still too exclusive. An eight team playoff allows for all five power conferences to have their champion in, plus three at large.

This year an eight team playoff would have included six tin cans for Alabama and Clemson to beat up on instead of just two. 

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2019, 08:51:19 am »

Geaux Tigers

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2019, 08:59:07 am »

LSU may had continued sleepwalking had UCF not acted as they did early in the game.  They motivated LSU. 

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2019, 10:31:33 am »

Reminds me of two things about our program:

1. UCF would have beat us by 50.  How did that happen?

2. The guy that built UCF looked very similar to Morris this year at Nebraska.

Only time will tell if Morris can turn it around but this year is not the measure of a man.

Man, you usually have really good post.  I had to stop after your OP though, Nebraska and Arkansas had completely different years this year.  Nebraska's coach took what he had and coached it up.  They were competitive and got better as the year went on, along with UCLA.  I would not compare Nebraska and Arkansas's year this past season.  We do not fare so well in that comparison and it does not bode well for Morris.

oldhawg

« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2019, 11:19:14 am »

Man, you usually have really good post.  I had to stop after your OP though, Nebraska and Arkansas had completely different years this year.  Nebraska's coach took what he had and coached it up.  They were competitive and got better as the year went on, along with UCLA.  I would not compare Nebraska and Arkansas's year this past season.  We do not fare so well in that comparison and it does not bode well for Morris.

And that is the elephant in the room.  Most everyone thought that Arkansas would show improvement similar to Nebraska, who was a much improved team by year's end, with four wins. 

However, Morris still deserves the benefit of the doubt.  No one, outside of the team, knows exactly what was going on in the locker room that transferred to the field of play.  Morris and staff have recruited well (compared to Nebraska's 24th on 247 Sports), he is positive and energetic, and he seems to have a plan.  The jury may still be out, but he deserves time to make it happen.   

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2019, 11:29:24 am »

The lines exposed UCF. Skill and speed UCF has it.
Which is usually Arkansas's problem too, over the years.
Skill position players? Sure.
Enough quality O-linemen and D-linemen to play in the SEC? Not usually.
It's a line of scrimmage league. What separates teams like Alabama and LSU is their quality of linemen---particularly D-linemen.

I still bring up a 'reject' like Darius Philon who was a tremendous player for us---but was being asked to greyshirt at Alabama! That says it all right there. They have a 8-10 rotation of guys like that on the D-line. We're happy to have a player like Philon...1 or 2 of them!

Actually, that 2014 defense which was so good featured Philon and Trey Flowers---both of whom are from Alabama.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2019, 11:31:53 am »

And that is the elephant in the room.  Most everyone thought that Arkansas would show improvement similar to Nebraska, who was a much improved team by year's end, with four wins. 

However, Morris still deserves the benefit of the doubt.  No one, outside of the team, knows exactly what was going on in the locker room that transferred to the field of play.  Morris and staff have recruited well (compared to Nebraska's 24th on 247 Sports), he is positive and energetic, and he seems to have a plan.  The jury may still be out, but he deserves time to make it happen.

I agree completely

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2019, 11:43:58 am »

Come on.  I can't be right all the time  ;D  At least my wife tells me that.

311Hog

« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2019, 11:50:36 am »

i have to admit i was so happy UCF lost, i wanted to like them but they talked so much trash, and so much holding and cheap shots that i couldn't.  They probably would have won the LSU game if they hadn't been such D bags about it, it woke the bayou bangles up.

The NewEra

« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2019, 11:58:15 am »

I'm still waiting for one of the UCF lovers to say they didn't want to be playing in that bowl game against LSU since they were passed over for the playoffs.  There is still time, it's only page 2.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The People’s Mod
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2019, 11:59:29 am »

i have to admit i was so happy UCF lost, i wanted to like them but they talked so much trash, and so much holding and cheap shots that i couldn't.  They probably would have won the LSU game if they hadn't been such D bags about it, it woke the bayou bangles up.

That holding stuff was BAD!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas