• 10,302,836 Posts
• 408,279 Topics
• 23,335 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dana Holgorsen to Houston  (Read 4130 times)

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
  • We Played Like A Wild Band of Razorbacks!
Re: Dana Holgorsen to Houston
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2019, 01:06:47 pm »

Texas would be an attractive option for the Pac 12 on the surface, since they don't fully know how they are, but Houston? I don't see that at all.

Big market, but do they draw good ratings and have good attendance? NO! Commuter school, derisively referred to as Cougar High in Texas..

The Pac 12 would look down their noses at UH. IMO, it's Big 12 or nothing as far as getting into a Power 5 conference.

However, the Big 12 was looking for warm bodies so they could still have two divisions after Col., Neb., A&M and Mizzou left and the best they could do was .... West Virginia?

TCU made sense to make it 10, they decided to play 9 conference games rather than add 2 more and eventually came up with the gimmicky Championship game to pit 1 vs 2 from the regular season.

The Big 12 has passed on UH how many times? At least 3. What makes them more attractive now? Fertitta?

I'm assuming that if the Pac-12 expanded they would add four to get to sixteen. My only argument for Houston is that the Pac-12 would add at least two from Texas and that Houston would be a better choice for them than Texas Tech. The private schools would get no consideration because they aren't research universities (the reason Utah was added instead of BYU). The B12 already has four Texas schools and gains nothing by adding another.

tusked

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2019, 01:11:44 pm »

Houston can get all the cosmetic surgery they want, boob job, lipo, whatever.  They are still lipstick on a pig.

They will NEVER be invited to the Pac12, never.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Mo_Better_Hogs

• All-American Hogvillian
  • DE FENSE!! DE FENSE!!
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2019, 05:23:07 pm »

AirWarren

• Football impotence of the Midwest
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2019, 06:14:53 pm »

And let's face it, the guy is a chick magnet.

hoghearted

• 2007 and 2009 Rolex DP Champions. Are you driven?
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2019, 06:18:17 am »

Reminds me of our former coach. Didn't he have a similar reputation at Wisconsin?

Grizzlyfan

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2019, 10:08:43 am »

DH may have done the math and concluded his $20M at Houston sets him up better than what happens when he exits WVa.

When Holgorsen was at OSU he lived in an extended stay hotel all year. He is single - maybe he prefers chasing TX tail vs WVa tail? (Implies, purposefully, that he has been known to spend time on the bar circuit with an eye on the ladies and two hands on a drink.)
To carry out this thought.  Apparently he had a very bad, if not nonexistent, relationship with his kids growing up.  They are now grown and living in the Houston area.  Grandkids perhaps?  Anyway, that is some speculation by one guy on the Sports Animal out of OKC.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2019, 10:18:07 am »

Money, a fresh start, a better city, better recruiting, MUCH better game day travel, much less travel for recruiting. Will Grier is gone now.  Did I mention almost DOUBLE the money. Easier to win, too. And, Houston is his hometown. Plus, WVU refused to match.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2019, 10:47:26 am »

in before "But, why?"

20 million reasons, plus he must think he's got a better chance of getting Houston in the playoffs than WVU.  Which should really show how much chance he thinks both Houston and WVU really have.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2019, 10:59:01 am »

Downgrade from MA.  Dumb.
$4 Million per year...and you call that "dumb."

May I suggest...Community College?

Athog

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2019, 11:29:06 am »

Haha

West Virginia would not update contract quick enough!!

kingofdequeen

« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2019, 12:37:08 pm »

$4 Million per year...and you call that "dumb."

May I suggest...Community College?

re-read what i typed, copernicus. 

may i suggest a see and say?

Been10Hog

• Senior
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2019, 12:49:58 pm »

Art Briles, Kevin Sumlin and Tom Herman all used UH as a stepping stone better than what WVU was being for DH. Sometimes it is better to take a step back to get forward

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2019, 12:56:26 pm »

And let's face it, the guy is a chick magnet.

IMMEDIATELY made me think of Big Ernie McCracken (Bill Murray) in Kingpin.   ;D   

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2019, 12:57:56 pm »

I knew someone would see that too...I posted too soon...should have kept reading.  Nicely done! 

Murr

• Meatchicken Cowturds!!!
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2019, 01:15:51 pm »

A few possible reasons:

(1) He just concluded his 8th year at West Virginia, and he probably had taken them as far as he was going to. The relationship on both sides was growing stale.

(2) He is well-familiar with the Cougars’ program and area, having spent a couple of seasons as their OC.

(3) He can attract better talent to Houston than Morgantown.

(4) Houston is about to make him the richest non-Power 5 head coach ever.

(5) Houston is known to be making a push for Big XII membership. Hiring Holgorsen demonstrates a commitment to that.

(6) Holgerson wanted more years guaranteed than what WVU was initially offering. WVU did not want a large buyout on a coach who had built that program to finally contend for a Big 12 title with its strongest roster in recent memory and finished 4th in conference.

(7) Holgerson already has experience transitioning G5 programs into competitive P5 programs. WVU was kings of the Big East before entering the Big 12. The ‘eers needed and infusion of talent and depth to compete week in and out in a P5 conference.

AirWarren

• Football impotence of the Midwest
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2019, 01:16:07 pm »

I knew someone would see that too...I posted too soon...should have kept reading.  Nicely done!

Big Ern. Legend.

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2019, 01:17:21 pm »

Art Briles, Kevin Sumlin and Tom Herman all used UH as a stepping stone better than what WVU was being for DH. Sometimes it is better to take a step back to get forward

Jeff Fisher to WVU confirmed?

Sivad

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2019, 02:39:12 pm »

Has HoustonDale ever dug coal?

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2019, 02:55:49 pm »

I think this is a good move for Holgo and WV.  Too often a coach and school stay married for too long and it ends up bitter on both sides.

He had a decent 8 year run there.  Not spectacular but respectable, and fairly consistent.  1 losing season out of 8 isn't bad and two 10 win seasons.  Fact is he had most likely peaked there.  WV shoehorned into the Big 12 didn't help.  He didn't move to another P5 job the last 2 years either for whatever reason.

Now he gets a fresh start at a school that can be the next UCF or was UCF before UCF became a thing.  Have a couple 10 or more win seasons at UH and he will be a hot commodity for a P5 school.  Moving back there will help him strengthen his recruiting ties and elevate his game as a recruiter.  Also with the uniqueness of the move going from a P5 to G5 voluntarily it's getting him talked about much more than if he had stayed at WV. 

WV can start fresh.  They didn't have to fire the guy a year or two down the road and pay a buyout and they get a little cash in their pocket.  I think the hardest part for them is going to be finding a decent replacement.  The biggest stumbling block IMO is the B12 membership.  Put them in the ACC and they would be an attractive job.  As many times as he's gotten passed up recently I could see Kiffin doing well there.  The hire would get them some pub, and I think he needs a P5 job that's a little out of the way and not in the spotlight 2-4-7, and Morgantown fits that bill.  Leach would kill it there but would not be an upgrade for him, but the funkiness of the location/conference affiliation fits him.  Maybe the chance to beat Texas Tech every year would be a draw for him as well.  Neal Brown and Seth Littrell both could do well there.  If Dan Enos had a season of being the official coordinator under his belt I could see them making a run at him since Saban assistants are always in demand.

HogPharmer

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2019, 04:25:27 pm »

I went to UofH for a while....they don't have much fan support. Campus is small, downtown style and most kids don't live in dorms. Athletics support is low for all sports. Residents of Houston support A&M more than Houston or Rice....that being said - Rice even has a stronger following than Houston ...big $$ at Rice

What is it with Rice and $$?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2019, 04:27:04 pm »

Like I said, identifying a good coach isnt rocket science.  Great hire by Houston

It’s basically a crap shoot.

twistitup

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2019, 04:30:37 pm »

Intelligent, successful alumni that give back...other than that, I'm not sure. It's not easy to get in, but the perks are pretty cool.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Rice-University-announces-free-tuition-for-middle-13236823.php

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2019, 04:34:57 pm »

Money, a fresh start, a better city, better recruiting, MUCH better game day travel, much less travel for recruiting. Will Grier is gone now.  Did I mention almost DOUBLE the money. Easier to win, too. And, Houston is his hometown. Plus, WVU refused to match.

PitP, you probably got most of the stuff right that's important to him.  One exception is the hometown part; DH is an Iowa boy, born and bred.  Graduated from high school and college in the state.  Secondly, he didn't actually double his salary; he was paid $2.9Mil, plus possible bonuses up to $600,000 in 2017.  And I believe I read that his 2018 salary, was in the $3.5Mil range.

As a former UH assistant coach, and with additional experience in the state, he certainly understands the advantages of the job he just accepted.  Lots of really good instate three-star players to choose from.

And this would be personal, while Houston is far from being likable to me, (humidity and traffic are horrible) I would rather coach in there than in Morgantown.

P-5 or G-5, doesn't matter; he'll become a superstar at Houston.    Next move might be to Baylor when Matt Rhule actually moves to pro football.  It's been proven his style offense can win there and he doesn't have the baggage.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2019, 12:45:13 pm »

I think this is a good move for Holgo and WV.  Too often a coach and school stay married for too long and it ends up bitter on both sides.

He had a decent 8 year run there.  Not spectacular but respectable, and fairly consistent.  1 losing season out of 8 isn't bad and two 10 win seasons.  Fact is he had most likely peaked there.  WV shoehorned into the Big 12 didn't help.  He didn't move to another P5 job the last 2 years either for whatever reason.

Now he gets a fresh start at a school that can be the next UCF or was UCF before UCF became a thing.  Have a couple 10 or more win seasons at UH and he will be a hot commodity for a P5 school.  Moving back there will help him strengthen his recruiting ties and elevate his game as a recruiter.  Also with the uniqueness of the move going from a P5 to G5 voluntarily it's getting him talked about much more than if he had stayed at WV. 

WV can start fresh.  They didn't have to fire the guy a year or two down the road and pay a buyout and they get a little cash in their pocket.  I think the hardest part for them is going to be finding a decent replacement.  The biggest stumbling block IMO is the B12 membership.  Put them in the ACC and they would be an attractive job.  As many times as he's gotten passed up recently I could see Kiffin doing well there.  The hire would get them some pub, and I think he needs a P5 job that's a little out of the way and not in the spotlight 2-4-7, and Morgantown fits that bill.  Leach would kill it there but would not be an upgrade for him, but the funkiness of the location/conference affiliation fits him.  Maybe the chance to beat Texas Tech every year would be a draw for him as well.  Neal Brown and Seth Littrell both could do well there.  If Dan Enos had a season of being the official coordinator under his belt I could see them making a run at him since Saban assistants are always in demand.

Neal Brown to WV.  I think he will do well there.  So with the Troy vacancy I think it's time to get Houston Nutt back in the game. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2019, 01:02:13 pm »

WV hired the coach Miss St should have hired. 

go hogues

• You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2019, 01:12:57 pm »

So with the Troy vacancy I think it's time to get Houston Nutt back in the game. 
"Ya spell fun, T-R-O-Y"

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2019, 01:35:19 pm »

Neal Brown to WV.  I think he will do well there.  So with the Troy vacancy I think it's time to get Houston Nutt back in the game.
huge hire for them. i mean, a really great hire. perfect. It's an upgrade over Holgy imo./

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2019, 02:22:19 pm »

huge hire for them. i mean, a really great hire. perfect. It's an upgrade over Holgy imo./

I tend to agree. WVU came out ahead in this in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 04:12:22 pm by Inhogswetrust »

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2019, 02:35:33 pm »

Similar academic situation to Vandy... and expectations for future lucrative employment.

Rambo Hog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2019, 11:53:06 am »

I know people who would chose to go to Texas State before University of Houston because it was too much of an urban commuter school .Kind of like UALR.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas