• 10,329,194 Posts
• 408,909 Topics
• 23,358 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Itís clear..  (Read 4124 times)

Arazorbackguy1

Itís clear..
« on: December 22, 2018, 01:32:12 pm »

Gafford is not a post up big man.  Would be interesting to see what % of his points are from cleanup misses vs straight up offense.  He should stop trying to be something he isnít.

alohawg

Re: Itís clear..
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 02:01:32 pm »

He has very little post game outside the dunk. I know he'll go in the draft this next time, but he's far from ready to take an NBA court. They'll eat him up as he currently is.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HawgnCorona

Re: It’s clear..
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 02:17:25 pm »

Heck if he decides he is not ready to move to the next level, I sure we would be happy to have in cardinal and red 1 more year. He could improve on the foot work and maintaining balance on his moves.

hogfanny

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 02:22:30 pm »

I think he'll be a 4 in the league.

King Kong

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 02:29:14 pm »

A lot of overreaction here.

He will be a Tyson Chandler type player. His skills transfer well when he is a role player

greenEGnHAWGS

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 04:02:13 pm »

He will be a Tyson Chandler type player. His skills transfer well when he is a role player

I was thinking more of a Javale McGee type player. Super athletic even without a great shot. Most points are dunks or putbacks

MakingPlays

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 04:07:04 pm »

I was thinking more of a Javale McGee type player. Super athletic even without a great shot. Most points are dunks or putbacks

Javale McGee is the best Gafford comparison I've seen, their games are very similar.  Gafford even has those goofy plays sometimes just like McGee, when he misses dunks and ball goes between his legs and stuff like that.

hoglady

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 04:07:48 pm »

Gafford is great running the floor and dunking.
He's just not good with his back to the basket - he's great when he's set up for a pass over the top that he can then dunk.

It would help if he had developed an outside shot.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 05:54:02 pm »

When Tyson chandler was younger, he was live javale McGee

ishankem

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 06:10:28 pm »

Don't know much, but he seems to be same Gafford as last year

realistichog

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 06:27:12 pm »

If, and I think itís a big if, he is drafted in the first round it will because he is an athletic 6í11 not because he is a good basketball player. I agree with a previous poster, I donít think he has improved his game from last year.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 06:50:37 pm »

If, and I think itís a big if, he is drafted in the first round it will because he is an athletic 6í11 not because he is a good basketball player. I agree with a previous poster, I donít think he has improved his game from last year.

His game has noteworthy improvements, particularly in regard to the consistency of his little jump hook and using each hand.

His passing hasn't progressed like you'd like, and he's still prone to going for the block rather than playing sounder defense,  but he's making progress and is an accomplished basketball player.    When he gets drafted, it'll be for his basketball skills-- he's aging out of being drafted on athletic potential.

Paul

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 06:52:33 pm »

They will coach him up in the League & he will make a lot of money. Donít see him improving his stock by coming back.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 07:01:37 pm »

They will coach him up in the League & he will make a lot of money. Donít see him improving his stock by coming back.
correct. If he stays healthy he will do well at the next level.  He wonít get the same kind of defensive. attention in the NBA. Right now teams swarm him down low. If he can go one on one he usually scores or gets FTs

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 07:03:32 pm »

correct. If he stays healthy he will do well at the next level.  He wonít get the same kind of defensive. attention in the NBA. Right now teams swarm him down low. If he can go one on one he usually scores or gets FTs
A jump shot would help.

hawg66

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 07:22:58 pm »

Five double doubles in 11 games. He had two all last season.

Carry on with your bashing.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 07:40:57 pm »

He is good with his back to the basket. His baby hook is very good. Right now he hasn't adjusted to being doubled with a guard digging down.

checkraiser88

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 07:43:47 pm »

Heís much a better player than he was last year. He has some low post moves when heís not doubled. Heíll be a lottery pick on potentials

Junkyard Hog

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2018, 07:51:06 pm »

Heís twice the player he was last year.

Smithian

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 08:04:07 pm »

Gafford is not a post up big man.  Would be interesting to see what % of his points are from cleanup misses vs straight up offense.  He should stop trying to be something he isnít.
He isn't a post up player, he is a rim runner. That's how he will make his NBA money. For now, the Razorbacks need him to produce down there while he is a Hog.

HawgnCorona

Re: It’s clear..
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2018, 08:33:19 pm »

I think Tyson Chandler and Jervale McGee are good comparisons at this point...But I think he has more to offer than either. That said Tyson has had a long productive career and McGee is working on one.

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2018, 08:57:12 pm »

Gafford is great running the floor and dunking.
He's just not good with his back to the basket - he's great when he's set up for a pass over the top that he can then dunk.

It would help if he had developed an outside shot.

I agree.  If he goes to an NBA that runs a lot he will be good.  He could be elite in the open floor.  He isnít A post up player.  Defense and transition is his game. 

HawgnCorona

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2018, 09:20:53 pm »

I agree.  If he goes to an NBA that runs a lot he will be good.  He could be elite in the open floor.  He isnít A post up player.  Defense and transition is his game. 

Which is why  we should be dictating tempo...Right now we are allowing teams to do that to us. That is one of our biggest problems. We must learn to dictate the tempo. when we do we play to our strengths.

When on the offensive in the have court set we need to penetrate and attack the basket, more for easy layups and dunks for Gafford...especially when the three isnt falling.

lasthog

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2018, 07:52:45 am »

You serious Clark?

Nickle-Pig

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2018, 08:34:43 am »

i think we are just now beginning to see who he is. He needs to put on some weight and work on his footwork. You are right he isn't big enough to hold his ground posting up. I think his shots are put backs and set ups as you suspect. I saw him make a quicker move yesterday that I think is the answer to his lack of weight. I also say him running down the floor better yesterday.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2018, 08:58:10 am »

Gafford will not be a great Pro without a Jump  shot but he can be a good Pro and make TONS OF MONEY because he is 6'10+, 7'3ish arm span, very athletic and he is very willing to play his butt off. A role player probable but that is ok.  Also, I think he is a good teammate.  That helps.

I agree he probable needs to go to the NBA next season.   Then he can get 12 months of coaching.   

zebradynasty

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2018, 10:25:56 am »

Didn't know we were trying to MAKE him a traditional back to the goal center? That was never going to work in such a short time we have him. Post moves (really good post moves) take years to develop and he's just really started to learn them. I think he can develop a jump shot once he has all day everyday to work on it. His post up game...that all depends upon how big and how much stronger he gets. His offensive game puts me in the mind of Dwight Howard, not sure you he'll ever be as big as Howard. I see Gafford more as a Clint Capela (Rockets) type if he get's on team with a wide open offense.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2018, 11:48:21 am »

A jump shot would help.

Exactly. He isn't a face up big man either. Pick your poison or the lesser of two evils.

I love watching Gafford and this team would have no chance without him. I am not bashing him at all.

hawg66

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2018, 11:55:23 am »

If Gafford was shooting jump shots this place would melt down every time he missed one.

mbgrulz

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2018, 12:21:35 pm »

Gafford will not be a great Pro without a Jump  shot but he can be a good Pro and make TONS OF MONEY because he is 6'10+, 7'3ish arm span, very athletic and he is very willing to play his butt off. A role player probable but that is ok.  Also, I think he is a good teammate.  That helps.

I agree he probable needs to go to the NBA next season.   Then he can get 12 months of coaching.   
Itís highly probable that you are spelling the word probable and meaning to spell probably. Haha. Just bustin your balls.

The way Dan looked last year with dynamic guard play is more indicative of how heíd look in the league.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2018, 12:58:20 pm »

What he needs is for basketball to be his 9-5. He is relatively new to the game, NBA coaches and NBA practices and he still has an opportunity to fulfill everything teams want in a lottery pick. He will probably have more upside and room for growth than any player taken in the first round. He's is arguably the most natural rebounder I've seen at Arkansas since Dean Tolson.

jm

• Senior
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2018, 02:36:11 pm »

There are no true back to the basket players in the NBA. It is just not a major part of the game now. It is all pick and roll etc, which he is built for

The real Hogules

• My Hogs are bad ass!
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2018, 03:31:45 pm »

I think Tyson Chandler and Jervale McGee are good comparisons at this point...But I think he has more to offer than either. That said Tyson has had a long productive career and McGee is working on one.

Dennis Rodman, without the tattoo's, well or the wild hair for that matter?  lol

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2018, 04:00:30 pm »

what is funny is that there were people who were posting during his sr season in HS, that people would be, disappointed is not really the right word, maybe confused by his game is a better way to put it. Those who had seen him alot said he had bad footwork, and had been made to look a certain way by the competition he played in HS. Those who had watched his in AAU said he was, on offense, much more of a garbage man ( not a bad thing in basketball ) picking up lots of points on rebounds. Also, in the more open floor AAU games he was able to use his ability to run the floor to get easy baskets. Those, people, of course, were roundly bood here as being haters of some sort.

He is a really good player, that, like most players, has some things he just does not do very well.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2018, 05:25:26 pm »

Kid that started basketball a little later than others is still developing his game and learning that's all.  He may be a year or two behind the curve of someone with the exact same skills, athleticism and size that spent more time earlier on in organized bball. 

If this weren't the era of get to the NBA ASAP he would continue to develop in college and be dominant by his Jr or Sr year.

b-ball coach

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2018, 05:28:08 pm »

He is a once a career athlete and a great player. He has some made some improvements like the jump hook off both shoulders and is stronger position posting. He still struggles defensively when he is one on one caught behind a post player and is error prone passing out of an aggressive double on the box.

His skills match the NBA in style, running the floor and the pick and roll. He will have to work on the pick and pop and improve his jumper and FT%. He will be missed and not replaced easily.

Enjoy him and the rest of this team. They play hard and get a lot out of the effort they play with. All teams have ups and downs and look great and bad on given nights. Joe and Gafford give us a chance but donít have much help on a consistent basis. Having said that, all the kids play hard and represent the U of A the right way.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2018, 06:19:30 pm »

I think he'll be a 4 in the league.

If he projects as a 4, wouldn't he need to be able to do something more than a dunk?  Gafford is as limited offensively as when he first arrived on campus, and that's a concern.  It doesn't seem as if he's gotten much stronger, and certainly has progressed much offensively, although his defense has come along a little bit.  Even though on defense, all the opposing player has to do is pump fake to get Gafford in the air, it works everytime.   His freethrow % is terrible, but I'm sure at the next level they'll make him work on that more than they have here.  He runs the floor very well for a big guy so that translates well to the NBA.  We will miss him a lot next year.

MemphisBossHog

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2018, 08:06:01 pm »

A jump shot would help.
this is 1000% right. Iím not sure how much time NBA coaching staffs ďcoach guys up.Ē  Thatís what the G League is for and he will spend a bunch of time there if he doesnít get a jump shot.  The G League is full of athletic guys that can run and dunk. As much as I like Gafford, he wonít go that far without developing a shot.  He will need to get bigger/stronger and learn to shoot.

NBA is all about spreading the floor, drive and kick to shooters.  Even big Croatian and Slovakian centers drain NBA 3s.

I hope he can be more than a Javale McGee.  Javale is a journeyman player who does nothing but dunk, rebound and block shots. Yes, he has made a career of it but I hope for more for Daniel.

Silence O the Hams

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2018, 08:13:56 pm »

Heck if he decides he is not ready to move to the next level, I sure we would be happy to have in cardinal and red 1 more year. He could improve on the foot work and maintaining balance on his moves.

Cardinal is red.  😜

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2018, 08:32:24 pm »

He is a once a career athlete and a great player. He has some made some improvements like the jump hook off both shoulders and is stronger position posting. He still struggles defensively when he is one on one caught behind a post player and is error prone passing out of an aggressive double on the box.

His skills match the NBA in style, running the floor and the pick and roll. He will have to work on the pick and pop and improve his jumper and FT%. He will be missed and not replaced easily.

Enjoy him and the rest of this team. They play hard and get a lot out of the effort they play with. All teams have ups and downs and look great and bad on given nights. Joe and Gafford give us a chance but donít have much help on a consistent basis. Having said that, all the kids play hard and represent the U of A the right way.

Coach knows. +1

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2018, 10:02:10 pm »

If he projects as a 4, wouldn't he need to be able to do something more than a dunk?  Gafford is as limited offensively as when he first arrived on campus, and that's a concern.  It doesn't seem as if he's gotten much stronger, and certainly has progressed much offensively, although his defense has come along a little bit.  Even though on defense, all the opposing player has to do is pump fake to get Gafford in the air, it works everytime.   His freethrow % is terrible, but I'm sure at the next level they'll make him work on that more than they have here.  He runs the floor very well for a big guy so that translates well to the NBA.  We will miss him a lot next year.

Not really, no.  Not every 4 in the league stretches people, particularly with teams that have 5s that are natural shooters (Denver, Minnesota, a few others)--  his role in the NBA is going to be to play defense, rebound,  and find 10 garbage points on face ups, baby hooks, put backs and the like.

His offensive footwork is light years ahead of where it was when he arrived at Arkansas;  his shooting form is both more consistent and smoother, which make him a much more projectable grower there.   The real questions from an NBA perspective are how 'strong' he will be able to play-- can you man him up and get the same defensive impact against very physical 4s and 5s---   and his ability to avoid turnovers offensively. 

I think he slips to the back of the lottery, if not out of it, but that's going to be more about what people talk themselves into with younger players, than anything to do with DG.

McKdaddy

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2018, 10:34:12 pm »

McKdaddy

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2018, 10:36:03 pm »

Mostly agree. I only follow 2 guys that publish nba draft predictions. They had him at 9 & 11 at the start of this season and heís only down to 15 by both now. Still fairly good given the lack of overall improvements by DG.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2018, 11:26:48 pm »

His offensive footwork is light years ahead of where it was when he arrived at Arkansas;  his shooting form is both more consistent and smoother, which make him a much more projectable grower there.   The real questions from an NBA perspective are how 'strong' he will be able to play-- can you man him up and get the same defensive impact against very physical 4s and 5s---   and his ability to avoid turnovers offensively. 

We'll have to agree to disagree Erie on how much DG has improved in certain areas.   But I hope he does stay as a lottery pick in the draft and not slip out.

hogwood

• Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2018, 05:47:08 am »

what is funny is that there were people who were posting during his sr season in HS, that people would be, disappointed is not really the right word, maybe confused by his game is a better way to put it. Those who had seen him alot said he had bad footwork, and had been made to look a certain way by the competition he played in HS. Those who had watched his in AAU said he was, on offense, much more of a garbage man ( not a bad thing in basketball ) picking up lots of points on rebounds. Also, in the more open floor AAU games he was able to use his ability to run the floor to get easy baskets. Those, people, of course, were roundly bood here as being haters of some sort.

He is a really good player, that, like most players, has some things he just does not do very well.

I was one of those people to an extent. I knew he'd be good here, but I was pumping the brakes on him being the next Portis right away or even fully replacing Kingsley. I did not think he would have such a great FR season. I was expecting 10/7, which is pretty good and not far off from what he ended up with. I just thought that coming in there were a couple of areas he was lacking in, and we are seeing those come out in the form of a sophomore slump. That said, I think he will get over it soon and get back to Indiana game type performances more regularly.

mbgrulz

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2018, 07:57:35 am »

I saw him play 1 time in HS, and I thought he might be 1 & done. I had seen all his highlights, and read all the reports about him, but when I saw how big he really was in person and the way he moved, I was floored. He wonít get drafted because of what he canít do. On the contrary, he will get paid millions because of what he already is and what he may be able to do in 3 years. This year is probably going to be frustrating for DG because the guard talent around him is pretty poor compared to last year. But, donít be fooled into thinking Dan isnít improving or isnít playing as well as last year.

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2018, 07:59:34 am »

In the NBA he won't be double and triple teamed every time he touches the ball.  It is actually easier to go against one really good player than to get the ball, have someone your same size on one side, and have another player or two slapping your arms on the other.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2018, 08:25:44 am »

Pretty hard to be 6'10ish and only 235 and be a back to the basket guy when bigger, thicker more physical defensive players are pushing you in the back all night long. 

But Gafford is a great option in the offense and can get his points.  But we need more 6'8ish 250+  big guys if we want to compete night in and night out against the top teams in the SEC and especially in the nation.

I keep asking WHERES the BEEF?

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2018, 09:09:41 am »

I think they are both BAD comparisons, and the obvious comparison is Clint Capella.

Swinesong1

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2018, 09:41:45 am »

I've said it numerous times, but Jarrett Allen is what you'll get from Gafford in the NBA. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas