• 10,329,140 Posts
• 408,908 Topics
• 23,358 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Benintendi catch AP play of the year  (Read 1247 times)

southeasthog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Resident Inspector
Benintendi catch AP play of the year
« on: December 22, 2018, 06:57:43 am »

There may have been better catches, but it'd be hard to find a better and bigger one - given the stakes - than Andrew Benintendi's diving grab in Houston to end the Red Sox's 8-6 victory over the Astros in Game 4 of the American League Championship Series.

The catch of Alex Bregman's bases-loaded liner to left field gave the Sox a 3-1 series lead and is the Associated Press Play of the Year for 2018.

http://sports.yahoo.com/benintendi-alcs-game-4-catch-184604015.html

HogPharmer

Re: Benintendi catch AP play of the year
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 02:15:20 pm »

If Benny misses that ball, the Red Sox lose that game. If he plays it safe and lets it hop, it’s a tie game with runners on 1st and 2nd. Definitely took some big cajones to dive for that ball but that’s what playmakers do. They go out and win the game. Hands down my favorite baseball player in the league right now. I may be a little biased though.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HogPharmer

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 02:22:53 pm »

I’d also say that the Sox got more than their $620,000 out of him this year. He’s definitely going to get paid big in the very near future.

RazorPiggie

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 04:34:47 pm »

The best part about it is a Hog stealing one from a corn dog.

flippinhogmana

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 05:00:25 pm »

I’d also say that the Sox got more than their $620,000 out of him this year. He’s definitely going to get paid big in the very near future.

Even if you factor in his half million dollar signing bonus, I dont think another major league team got the sort of bargain Boston got the last two years with Beni.  He essentially came in and earned the starting job as a rookie and then instead of having the traditional sophomore slump, he continued to improve enough to keep the job full time this year.

In essence the Bosox got a starter with a significant defensive presence (at one time leading the league in assists at his position this year) who stroked 290/90 - with nearly over a hundred runs scored and nearly twenty bases stolen - FOR $600,000 per year.  Now thats a major league bargain compared to all his team mates and the rest of the league, even of to those of his draft year (and to corndogs too!) 

I think they are just pinching themselves at their good fortune as they plan on him hitting leadoff next year and no doubt improving on his numbers from this year.

Ironhawg

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 08:08:50 am »

The best part about it is a Hog stealing one from a corn dog.

This!!!!!!

Papawhawg

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 11:11:33 am »

Even if you factor in his half million dollar signing bonus, I dont think another major league team got the sort of bargain Boston got the last two years with Beni.  He essentially came in and earned the starting job as a rookie and then instead of having the traditional sophomore slump, he continued to improve enough to keep the job full time this year.

In essence the Bosox got a starter with a significant defensive presence (at one time leading the league in assists at his position this year) who stroked 290/90 - with nearly over a hundred runs scored and nearly twenty bases stolen - FOR $600,000 per year.  Now thats a major league bargain compared to all his team mates and the rest of the league, even of to those of his draft year (and to corndogs too!) 

I think they are just pinching themselves at their good fortune as they plan on him hitting leadoff next year and no doubt improving on his numbers from this year.

I believe he got a 3.6 mil signing bonus, not 1/2 mil

flippinhogmana

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 12:14:20 pm »

I believe he got a 3.6 mil signing bonus, not 1/2 mil

the site I saw recently said the latter, but either way, his last year's salary was a major league bargain was it not?

Flatline

• All-American Hogvillian
  • FEAR THE HOG!!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 12:12:35 am »

I wonder if the Hogs will ever see another like him.  Man it was fun watching him play.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 02:52:53 am »

I wonder if the Hogs will ever see another like him.  Man it was fun watching him play.

martin and hk are pretty good!

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 10:46:20 am »

Bacons Rebellion

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 08:01:14 am »

If Benny misses that ball, the Red Sox lose that game. If he plays it safe and lets it hop, it’s a tie game with runners on 1st and 2nd. Definitely took some big cajones to dive for that ball but that’s what playmakers do. They go out and win the game. Hands down my favorite baseball player in the league right now. I may be a little biased though.

That's what I was thinking.

I set an official goal for my softball outfielders to "Be a Hero" a some time during the season. I tell them nobody is ever going to remember you playing it safe and playing the ball on a hop and neither will you. You make a diving catch and you'll tell your kids about it someday.

It doesn't work. They play scared and field the ball on a hop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas