• 10,312,091 Posts
• 408,481 Topics
• 23,342 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Missouri a legit Razorback rivalry now?  (Read 6530 times)

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Missouri a legit Razorback rivalry now?
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2018, 02:23:54 pm »

First of all, both  A&M and Missouri have largely owned the Razorbacks since both have been in the SEC. Second of all, A&M has the wealthiest athletic program in the United States and an endowment that is nine times larger than UA. Both A&M and Missouri are members of the AAU, which Arkansas is not. So, I suggest before running your mouth, you learn your facts.

I guess my original reply to this post was too strong. 

urkillnmesmalls

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2018, 05:11:14 pm »

Ole Miss seems like a rivalry. That game has been fun recently.

It's funny you bring that up, because at one point...they were in line to absolutely be our rival when Nutt landed there.  He mopped the floor with us for two seasons, and we kept saying..."Just wait," but their fans were convinced we were idiots, and they had struck gold. 

Turn out...fool's gold, and we got the last laught.  But...I guess they were so mad at Nutt that they forgot to be mad at us for when we were poking fun at them, and tried to warn them.  In the end...we're no more of a rival of theirs than we were when all of that happened.  You WOULD THINK that maybe we would have taken another stride with the Hunter Heave that kept them out of the SECCG one of the years they clipped Bama, but nope...nothing really became of that either. 

We seem to be a hard school for other people to want to have as a rival, even when they're schools that we've beaten when it mattered on occasion, and have done reasonably well against.  Not sure why.  I used to think it might be because our fans are just too kind natured and humble, but since then I've seen some of our fans act pretty poorly, so I don't think that's it either. 

Who knows?  We're rivalry-proof.   ;D

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

FayetteCorvette

• Walk-On
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2018, 05:56:02 pm »

Yes, it's a forced game.  We used to play Tennessee, a better team that a lot of fans loved to hate.  We had started to have some back in forth games with them, now we don't get to play them and now have to play a Battle Field Rivalry between the Hatfields and McCoys with a piece of glass for a trophy.

Since when has Tennessee been a better team than Missouri? The early 2000's? They have only given up 50 or more 11 times in history...3 of which are to Mizzou.

trippigs

« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2018, 06:35:40 pm »

Not yet for me.....ya just donít manufacture a rivalry

greenie

« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2018, 07:07:15 pm »

No

A rivalry is between two programs that hate each other.  I think most Hog fans are indifferent about MO

They're feeling good about themselves right now, and congratulations to them.  It won't last, and their minions will stop trying to give us advice on HV.  Although more of them should come over to our site to see what a good site looks like, and while they're at it, they should visit our facilities...that is, after they finish re-painting the rocks.

razortrack

• Varsity
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2018, 07:26:01 pm »

Rivalry has passion and this matchup lacks it. Arkansas and Texas in football, Arkansas and Kentucky in basketball. Missouri does not fit, no one cares.

Bacons Rebellion

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2018, 08:06:09 pm »

Making Missouri our rival will be the final step in our metamorphosis into Kansas.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2018, 08:30:38 pm »

Making Missouri our rival will be the final step in our metamorphosis into Kansas.
We R-Kansas ???

mizzouman

« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2018, 08:31:59 pm »

Bigfoot

« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2018, 08:40:14 pm »

We are not good enough to be their rival. All time series 7-3 for Mizzou. 4-1 Mizzou since joining the SEC. They are our Texas.

I'm not against them being a rivalry for us, but they are not our Texas.

LZH

« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2018, 08:42:38 pm »

Well Odom will get fired in 3/4 years or will take a big time job in a year or two. That's how this works, right?

hoghearted

• 2007 and 2009 Rolex DP Champions. Are you driven?
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2018, 08:49:32 pm »

I'll worry about 'rivalries' when we can at least be competitive on the field with all of our scheduled opponents.

LZH

« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2018, 08:57:00 pm »

I'll worry about 'rivalries' when we can at least be competitive on the field with all of our scheduled opponents.

Ha!.....or gag, cough, spit.  Probably the same either way.

Arkansas Fan

« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2018, 09:43:10 pm »

Since when has Tennessee been a better team than Missouri? The early 2000's? They have only given up 50 or more 11 times in history...3 of which are to Mizzou.

Come on, you know what he's saying. We all know Tennessee is the stronger traditional program than Missouri. Tennessee is just like us in terms of going through coaching changes and trying to regain prominence again. Missouri is just taking advantage of both Arkansas and Tennessee's struggles.

Ben

• Senior
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2018, 11:25:15 pm »

When Arkansas can level the series then maybe

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2018, 11:35:19 pm »

When Arkansas can level the series then maybe

Ahh...you'd be surprised what one solid curb stomping will do in a game that means something.  But...I just don't think Mizzou will ever be a rival.  It just doesn't feel like it at all.  Admittedly, it is a little funny what when this thing first blew up, our fans acted as if they're beneath us, and that they were no LSU.  Well, four losses later, and we haven't beat them as often as we've beaten LSU.   ;D 

We're seeing our program at an all time low.  I am usually not someone who says things can't get any worse, but I'll make an exception here.  I think we'll see good things in 3-4 years if CCM can continue to recruit this well, and maybe even surprise some folks shortly thereafter. 

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2018, 11:50:36 pm »

I don't understand.  Tennessee, a better team?  Better than whom?  Arkansas or Mizzou? 

Lol, they are better than both.  Who the hell do you think Missouri is?  Sure, you've beaten Arkansas lately, but you were a doormat in the big 12 and your in the easy side of the SEC which has helped, but your still just middle of the East.  Tennessee is down right now but has a very rich tradition and will rise again.

31to6

« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2018, 12:26:31 am »

Lol, they are better than both.  Who the hell do you think Missouri is?  Sure, you've beaten Arkansas lately, but you were a doormat in the big 12 and your in the easy side of the SEC which has helped, but your still just middle of the East.  Tennessee is down right now but has a very rich tradition and will rise again.
Tennessee is more like Alabama than Arkansas. Both have struggled recently, but TN has the national brand to pull in top recruiting classes which will produce success under the right coach.

Butch was able to pull in the talent to win the East. He just couldn't stack the bricks level.

They have had 3 bad hires in a row (Kiffen who bailed, Dooley who was clueless and Butch who flamed out). But they are one good coach away from being back in the national picture.

The Hawgman

« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2018, 12:32:17 am »

We are not good enough to be their rival. All time series 7-3 for Mizzou. 4-1 Mizzou since joining the SEC. They are our Texas.
Starting next year things change!!!!

snoot hoggy hog

« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2018, 12:34:28 am »

Start winning some championships and you wonít have to ask for rivals.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2018, 01:25:27 am »

You must be 10 years old if you don't comprehend what he's referring to.   Tennessee is a nationally recognized program in football that is a traditional powerhouse, they may have struggled lately but with the right coach believe Missouri won't even be able to remotely be able to compete with them.  Missouri is at the top of their game right now and that's winning 7 or 8 games a year which should be considered the ceiling for that program, Tennessee can compete for national championships year in and out with the right hire.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 09:35:46 am by LAHogfan123 »

hawg1221

« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2018, 01:39:03 am »

The real question is what do you define as a rivalry?

Pig_Lebowski

« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2018, 05:41:50 am »

Bazz thinks it is so therefore it must be.

Wants2Win

• Senior
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2018, 06:50:25 am »

I think some of you are giving Tenn a little too much credit. They havenít been relevant in a long time. Itís been 20 years since they won a natty. A lot has changed in 20 years.

TheGrove68

« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2018, 06:53:31 am »

You must be 10 years old if you don't comprehend what he's referring to.   Tennessee is a nationally recognized program in football that is a traditional powerhouse, they may have struggled lately but with the right c I achieve Missouri won't even be able to remotely be able to compete with them.  Missouri is at the top of their game right now and that's winning 7 or 8 games a year which should be considered the ceiling for that program, Tennessee can compete for national championships year in and out with the right hire.

Things have changed a lot since Ten. won their Last NC in football. Since the 2000's everyone is competing hard in the arena of football. Ten. while a fringe Blue Blood  they have a lot in common with Neb. in that Ten. isn't in a hot bed of Recruiting and they are far removed from their glory days and the margin of error is much greater now as opposed to 20+ years ago when they won their last NC 98 and before that it was 1967 and they had a bowl loss that year.

Ten is not seen in the same vein as Bama, Florida St.,Ohio st. etc. They are seen as a program on the decline by many in the world of CFB. Can they come back to relevance? Yes, but it is even harder today than in the past. 

It is also shortsighted to assume that Mizzou has reached its pinnacle of success....in truth we haven't got close because we have yet as a program fully bought in from the administration and fan base to the local media and still we are doing pretty well competing in the SEC. Sure I know the standard line from many of you is that everyone is down etc. etc. and their is some truth to that but in reality that might be the new norm. With schollie limits, transfers and a huge influx of cash all programs are splitting up the recruiting pie. And with smart development of hidden gems that contribute as 5th year SR it is very possible to compete and win versus teams that have higher recruiting rankings. How much difference is their in ranking 15 to 40? Not as much as many assume it's the top ten that really stretches it out.

Sure winning a NC requires having two and three deep 4* star players like the Bama,Clemson ,ND and OU's but competing with the Ten and A&M that have a more 4* but not so deep is not that hard if you are smart with recruiting.

geauxhawgs

• Varsity
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2018, 07:16:06 am »

a rivalry because Kelly Bryant went there for a year to avoid playing SEC West competition? hmmm  :puke: no it's not a rivalry and not even close to being one. On a side note- Can we stop with the rivalry crap and just focus on what we need to do to start WINNING again?!? Who gives a crap about anything else at this point...

exit followed by a boar

• Senior
« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2018, 07:42:48 am »

It will only be a rivalry when both sides compete.

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
  • We Played Like A Wild Band of Razorbacks!
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2018, 08:21:15 am »

I don't think we'll ever have "one true rival", and I think the sanity of some of our fans would be better if they embraced that identity. But Mizzou is the flagship university from a border state. Columbia is the closest campus in the SEC to Fayetteville. They're in the SEC and on our schedule every year, so that makes them our rival, along with Ole Miss, LSU, A&M, etc. This need to pretend they don't belong is kind of ridiculous.

Possible Oatmeal

« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2018, 08:32:22 am »

No.  Missouri is irrelevant and always will be.

jkstock04

« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2018, 09:08:19 am »

You must be 10 years old if you don't comprehend what he's referring to.   Tennessee is a nationally recognized program in football that is a traditional powerhouse, they may have struggled lately but with the right c I achieve Missouri won't even be able to remotely be able to compete with them.  Missouri is at the top of their game right now and that's winning 7 or 8 games a year which should be considered the ceiling for that program, Tennessee can compete for national championships year in and out with the right hire.

LOL here's a guy that lives in the past. The last time Tennessee was seriously relevant on a national stage most of these kids playing today weren't even born. Times have changed. This is not 1995 anymore where Nebraska and Tennessee are feared programs.

This was Mizzous 7th year in the SEC and have already won the east twice. Tennessee hasnt sniffed it in over 10 years. Tennessee doesn't hold a candle to Mizzou these days. Since joining the SEC they basically own Tennessee like they own us in head to head matchups.

An amazing anomoly among Razorback fans seems to be head in the sand when it comes to Mizzou. The level of obtuseness is uncanny when this subject comes up.

Possible Oatmeal

« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2018, 09:17:55 am »

LOL here's a guy that lives in the past. The last time Tennessee was seriously relevant on a national stage most of these kids playing today weren't even born. Times have changed. This is not 1995 anymore where Nebraska and Tennessee are feared programs.

This was Mizzous 7th year in the SEC and have already won the east twice. Tennessee hasnt sniffed it in over 10 years. Tennessee doesn't hold a candle to Mizzou these days. Since joining the SEC they basically own Tennessee like they own us in head to head matchups.

An amazing anomoly among Razorback fans seems to be head in the sand when it comes to Mizzou. The level of obtuseness is uncanny when this subject comes up.

That's because their "success" is temporary.  Capitalizing on down years of other teams.  You might call it "stuck in the past."  I call it seeing the situation for what it really is.

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
  • We Played Like A Wild Band of Razorbacks!
« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2018, 09:19:16 am »

Hog fans excel at living in the past. Change is hard.

The Hawgman

« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2018, 09:26:37 am »

Is Barry Odom turning Missouri into a legit rivalry for us?

Stole Kelly Bryant from us and now Arkansas' WR Jonathan Nance transferring to Missouri.

https://kmox.radio.com/articles/dual-threat-transfer-qb-kelly-bryant-chooses-mizzou
Now that mention it I HATE MISSOURI and cannot wait to whip them and KB in LR next year!!!!

jkstock04

« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2018, 09:33:20 am »

That's because their "success" is temporary.  Capitalizing on down years of other teams.  You might call it "stuck in the past."  I call it seeing the situation for what it really is.
So since joining the SEC Mizzou is 5-2 in head to head vs Tennessee. At what point do they get any credit?

This whole spinjob of "capitalizing on others down years" is 100% subjective. I could probably make some sort of homer argument lookong at records from back in the 70s that Bama better watch the F out for whenever Arkansas isn't in down years like they have been since joining the SEC. They are 12-0 against us since Saban simply because of some down years nothing more lol.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2018, 09:33:31 am »

Can it be a rivalry if it's one-sided?  Mizzou hates Kansas.  Arkansas hates everyone. 

Arkansas has never had a true rival.  ASU might be the only legit rivalry as both schools hate each other (but ya gotta actually play to be a rival!).

mizzouman

« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2018, 09:41:38 am »

Missouri is 5-2 against Tenn.  Missouri is 4-1 since joining the SEC against Ark and 7-3 all time.
All time record against the SEC is 51-47-1.  In fact, it's better against the all mighty West (26-20) than it is the East (25-27-1).
So, what's your argument again? 

LAHogfan123

« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2018, 09:43:31 am »

Lol, I bet Tennessee wins the East again before Missouri ever does, and I'm not really expecting Tennessee to with Georgia now the big dogs of the East and Florida making some improvements, but the only way that Missouri ever won the East was because of the East being totally toothless when Missouri came into the SEC.  Missouri should have been put in the West, but the SEC powers didn't want Missouri to be overwhelmed by the West, that's fact.

mizzouman

« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2018, 09:44:58 am »

Can it be a rivalry if it's one-sided?  Mizzou hates Kansas.  Arkansas hates everyone. 

Arkansas has never had a true rival.  ASU might be the only legit rivalry as both schools hate each other (but ya gotta actually play to be a rival!).
Oh  yeah, we hate kU.  We don't really hate Arkansas, yet.....  :)

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2018, 09:49:11 am »

Missouri is 5-2 against Tenn.  Missouri is 4-1 since joining the SEC against Ark and 7-3 all time.
All time record against the SEC is 51-47-1.  In fact, it's better against the all mighty West (26-20) than it is the East (25-27-1).
So, what's your argument again?

The real argument is wither or not Missouri is the ass hole of America or not.  I'd say yes more then likely but Ohio is close.

mizzouman

« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2018, 09:52:07 am »

The real argument is wither or not Missouri is the ass hole of America or not.  I'd say yes more then likely but Ohio is close.
If that's the case, Arkansas does lie below Missouri geographically.  I'd watch out from above.  :)

Haters gonna hate

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2018, 09:52:58 am »

Nope

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
  • In Karma Nirvana for all time.
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog
« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2018, 09:53:15 am »

If that's the case, Arkansas does lie below Missouri geographically.  I'd watch out from above.  :)

Louisiana is Arkansas' Mexico. Does that make Missouri Arkansas' Canada?

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2018, 09:54:56 am »

Yea we are the legs supporting America and don't worry we squat when we s hit.

HogPharmer

« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2018, 10:06:46 am »

I hereby dub them - wait for it...

That Team Up North

Now it's a rivalry.

[spit] Canadian football [spit]

HogPharmer

« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2018, 10:08:17 am »

Bazz thinks it is so therefore it must be.

Bazz also thinks the Sizzler serves quality food.

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2018, 10:08:28 am »

Louisiana is Arkansas' Mexico. Does that make Missouri Arkansas' Canada?

If that's the case then Build the wall!

SmallHog20

« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2018, 10:08:58 am »

No rivalry yet imo bc we keep losing. Win the next 3 or 4 and you may have something brewing. As a person, itís a rivalry game for me bc my in laws are mizzou fans and I absolutely dread that game due to the non stop thrashing I get. KB didnít help the heat. But as a hog fan I say not yet

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2018, 10:31:51 am »

Looked it up, Last 5 years in the Big12 Missouri  won 10 or more games 3 times, and finished ranked #4,#18 and #19 in the country.  Not exactly a doormat....just sayin..   They have been a little better than you seem to give them credit for... This year they finished Ranked #23
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 11:16:03 am by 99toLife »

chaz

• Varsity
« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2018, 11:11:46 am »

Is Barry Odom turning Missouri into a legit rivalry for us?

Stole Kelly Bryant from us and now Arkansas' WR Jonathan Nance transferring to Missouri.

https://kmox.radio.com/articles/dual-threat-transfer-qb-kelly-bryant-chooses-mizzou

HELL NO

BigSexyHog

« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2018, 11:47:19 am »

Bazz also thinks the Sizzler serves quality food.

Lmfao
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas