• 10,302,711 Posts
• 408,278 Topics
• 23,335 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sleep Apnea  (Read 1149 times)

The Chief

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I just don't understand...
Sleep Apnea
« on: November 22, 2018, 05:57:21 am »

I just completed a sleep study this morning after years of wondering why I'm chronically tired.  I thought I was just a wussy and was getting older. 

I first noticed sleep problems after OIF I in 2003.  But, I was in my lower 20s and was able to compensate for the fatigue through good old fashioned youthful exuberance.  After three subsequent deployments to that first one (four total) and one coming up soon, I knew I had to get help.  I'm now in my upper 30s and unable to compensate for poor sleep quality.

I went to my doc and told him what my wife says I do at night:  shallow breathe, gasp, and tremble.  I told him I'm always tired...always.  I'm even more tired after a night of "sleep" than I was before I went to bed.  I often wake with headaches, night sweats, etc.  The doc ordered the sleep study as I was at my wits' end.

I go and do the study hooked up to about 20 leads on my head, legs, and face.  The study wasn't comfortable, but it was worth it. The tech told me she couldn't officially tell my I had sleep apnea (she's not the doc), but she said, "you definitely have apnea."  She showed me where my oxygen saturation dropped down to 79% while sleeping before my body "shocked" itself awake to save my life.  This happened throughout the night.  Dangerous stuff.

Moral of the story:  if you have sleep issues and are active duty or a veteran, please get checked out.  Sleep apnea increases the risk of heart problems, PTSD symptoms, and a host of other complications.  It's worth getting looked at to potentially save your life.

Squealers

• Resident Wisenhiemer®
  • Global Moderator
  • All-American Hogvillian
  • Be a Mentor, Not a TorMentor
Re: Sleep Apnea
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 03:54:08 pm »

Thanks for the post.  I have a test coming up.  Night sweats and PTSD night terrors are my issue, hopefully they can determine something as well.  Keep us posted on your situation and outcomes.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ranman74

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 09:57:04 pm »

Are they doing the machines still or do they do the mouth gaurd I am going too do my test as well I grind my teeth like no other and snore like a bear

hogginbama

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 01:28:10 pm »

Are they doing the machines still or do they do the mouth gaurd I am going too do my test as well I grind my teeth like no other and snore like a bear

I received the CPAP machine in Feb 17. Had a followup with the sleep doc here in Alabama where I retired to and he recommended the mouth guard. The machine is what will get you the VA rating if diagnosed. I have not heard of anyone receiving a VA rating with Sleep Apnea and only the mouth guard.

311Hog

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 01:48:28 pm »

I just completed a sleep study this morning after years of wondering why I'm chronically tired.  I thought I was just a wussy and was getting older. 

I first noticed sleep problems after OIF I in 2003.  But, I was in my lower 20s and was able to compensate for the fatigue through good old fashioned youthful exuberance.  After three subsequent deployments to that first one (four total) and one coming up soon, I knew I had to get help.  I'm now in my upper 30s and unable to compensate for poor sleep quality.

I went to my doc and told him what my wife says I do at night:  shallow breathe, gasp, and tremble.  I told him I'm always tired...always.  I'm even more tired after a night of "sleep" than I was before I went to bed.  I often wake with headaches, night sweats, etc.  The doc ordered the sleep study as I was at my wits' end.

I go and do the study hooked up to about 20 leads on my head, legs, and face.  The study wasn't comfortable, but it was worth it. The tech told me she couldn't officially tell my I had sleep apnea (she's not the doc), but she said, "you definitely have apnea."  She showed me where my oxygen saturation dropped down to 79% while sleeping before my body "shocked" itself awake to save my life.  This happened throughout the night.  Dangerous stuff.

Moral of the story:  if you have sleep issues and are active duty or a veteran, please get checked out.  Sleep apnea increases the risk of heart problems, PTSD symptoms, and a host of other complications.  It's worth getting looked at to potentially save your life.

i fought it as well for decades until my wife recorded me sleeping and it scared the crap out of me, i have had my CPAP for about 3 years now it makes a HUGE difference, at my sleep study they put me on the CPAP almost immediately they said my Apnea was so bad they just started working on the best pressure and mask.  My advice is to go with the nose pillows if you can do it to avoid the full face mask. And be sure your CPAP has a humidifieri haven't had a nasal infection since and soon as i put the mask on i sleep like a baby.

hogginbama

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 02:47:07 pm »

i fought it as well for decades until my wife recorded me sleeping and it scared the crap out of me, i have had my CPAP for about 3 years now it makes a HUGE difference, at my sleep study they put me on the CPAP almost immediately they said my Apnea was so bad they just started working on the best pressure and mask.  My advice is to go with the nose pillows if you can do it to avoid the full face mask. And be sure your CPAP has a humidifieri haven't had a nasal infection since and soon as i put the mask on i sleep like a baby.

Tried the nose pillows and didn't have much luck with them. Kept opening the mouth to breath, regardless of sleep position. Went to the full mask, took a bit of time to get used to, but works like a charm.

The Chief

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 07:43:46 pm »

Update.

Went to the doc a week after I posted this. He said my O2 saturation actually dropped into the upper 60s at one point. Told me I woke up an average of 32 times an hour, but during REM,I woke up 60+times an hour average. He said I wasn't sleeping, I was trying not to die while being unconscious.

I've been on the CPAP since 22 DEC and my life is much better. I had no issues adjusting to sleeping with it. The bags under my eyes have shrunk, I feel better rested, and I rarely feel the constant anxiety of impending doom that chronic fatigue causes. I'm not 100%, but I feel 100%better than I did before.

Dillar Dog

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 08:18:11 pm »

Ok.  That's it.  I'm doing this.

Do you just get hooked up to all that mess and spend the night at Ft Roots and let them see what's what?

The Chief

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 10:24:16 am »

Ok.  That's it.  I'm doing this.

Do you just get hooked up to all that mess and spend the night at Ft Roots and let them see what's what?

Yep. First study you're just hooked up to leads and sensors. If you can sleep 4 hours they can get enough data.  You follow up with the doc for the result, then do another study with a CPAP.  Then the doc prescribes you the best device for your needs at the settings best for your particular apnea type.

311Hog

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 10:27:18 am »

Yeah that sounds about right, i was able to do all of mine in a single sleep test probably has to do with i am non military as well.

After the sleep study the next morning i was so well rested and felt so good i was literally "high" i didn't even go to work i just went home and relaxed all day.

So much less accumulative stress, i have lost weight, sure it is a bit of a pita sometimes but i rather deal with that than die in my sleep.

So glad it worked out for you Chief as i said before if anyone thinks they seriously might have sleep apnea i am encouraging them to do the study and find out the piece of mind is worth the price.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 07:16:03 pm »

I got a take-home sleep test when I had to redo mine. MUCH easier.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Everything from did-il-I-doh to darned if I know
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 03:01:48 am »

Yeah that sounds about right, i was able to do all of mine in a single sleep test probably has to do with i am non military as well.

After the sleep study the next morning i was so well rested and felt so good i was literally "high" i didn't even go to work i just went home and relaxed all day.

So much less accumulative stress, i have lost weight, sure it is a bit of a pita sometimes but i rather deal with that than die in my sleep.

So glad it worked out for you Chief as i said before if anyone thinks they seriously might have sleep apnea i am encouraging them to do the study and find out the piece of mind is worth the price.

I'm not aware of any military sleep clinics. Everyone I know has been referred to a civilian sleep clinic for diagnosis.

If there is enough sleep time, they can do the whole thing in one night if the clinic is well set up and the techs working there are experienced.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 03:26:27 am by Großer Kriegschwein »

Mick Hogger

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 07:15:51 am »

Good topic. I did the test about 4 years ago and was only getting 30% oxygen at night. The Dr said "you probably have trouble focusing and memory loss". Yep, big time back then. I highly recommend anyone that has trouble breathing at night to have the test done. Some people that suspect it aren't actually candidates for a cpap, but at least you know. I go to the clinic at Baptist. When you stay overnight, it's more like a hotel room with a hospital bed.

Most things have been covered here but if you do it, be careful. My Dr's kept prescribing sleep aids like Ambien and I've had to wean myself off of them twice (can take a few weeks) but it's been months and I'll never take one again. You get yourself programmed where you can't sleep without them and you'll never be able to sleep late if you have the chance. Once they wear off, you're done. Not going back to sleep, at least for me.

311Hog

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 12:19:02 pm »

I'm not aware of any military sleep clinics. Everyone I know has been referred to a civilian sleep clinic for diagnosis.

If there is enough sleep time, they can do the whole thing in one night if the clinic is well set up and the techs working there are experienced.

yeah i wasn't saying a specific military clinic i just meant military insurance may function differently that may require a two part test before getting the CPAP etc.

The found out what they needed with me so quickly that the whole thing happened in a night, the consultation about machine, masks etc. happened at the supplier though at a later date.  I am not sure about yall but i have to go back once a year to the sleep doc with my sim card from my machine so far i am at like 99% use which he says is perfect.

The Chief

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 04:49:37 pm »

The Army has a few sleep clinics at Army hospitals. But the process takes months. I was referred to Sleep Studies International in El Paso.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Everything from did-il-I-doh to darned if I know
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 06:42:57 pm »

yeah i wasn't saying a specific military clinic i just meant military insurance may function differently that may require a two part test before getting the CPAP etc.

The found out what they needed with me so quickly that the whole thing happened in a night, the consultation about machine, masks etc. happened at the supplier though at a later date.  I am not sure about yall but i have to go back once a year to the sleep doc with my sim card from my machine so far i am at like 99% use which he says is perfect.

It doesn’t. It’s an HMO. If there is an available military sleep clinic, then per the  HMO rules you must go there as long as they can get you in within 30 days. If not, then they will refer you to a network provider. I was referred to the Christus St. Francis Cabrini Sleep Clinic. I suppose as Chief said that there may be military sleep clinics out there, but I’ve not seen them due to being overseas or on small Forts for a majority of my career.

Our insurance is thru by Humana and labeled as TriCare (Regionally dependent).

I’m considered TriCare South.

We have to remain in compliance with our CPAPs. I have to get another one from the VA. I’ve had my old one for 4 years now.

WATER HOG

• Varsity
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 11:26:38 am »

Great information, I've been bad fatigued for couple months now, had sleep study done at Mt. Home Hospital. Two different nights, waiting for CPAP machine to come in Praying that it fixes my tiredness and breathing problem at night that Scares my wife,    Thank gentleman

nlrwildcat1

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 03:11:48 pm »

I have sleep apnea and was told the va doesnt consider ot for a disability rating anymore

The Chief

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 10:28:52 pm »

I have sleep apnea and was told the va doesnt consider ot for a disability rating anymore

You were told wrong.  However, proving service connection is difficult unless diagnosed on active duty.

Dillar Dog

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 06:50:23 am »

Why would that matter?

The Chief

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 10:45:13 pm »

Why would that matter?

If you get a certain rating, the VA will pay for your equipment and sleep apnea care.

Then there's some that want disability money.

Dillar Dog

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 02:56:28 pm »

If you get a certain rating, the VA will pay for your equipment and sleep apnea care.

Then there's some that want disability money.

I'm not one that wants the money.  But they've pay for any equipment I needed anyway so I was confused.  Maybe they don't for everyone?  I don't know

Hogwop

• You've raised my frosty dander!
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2019, 03:49:49 pm »

I just spent 3 days in the hospital and apparently my sleep apnea is terrible. 6 seconds without my heart beating at times. Off to another sleep study I guess. My issue is I need to lose weight, any ideas on the best way to lose it and keep it off? I know i have to change my diet around but I can't really run for long because of asthma so any good cardio type exercises that dont have me running all over Springdale?

Dillar Dog

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2019, 04:21:18 pm »

Maybe get a bike and got some of those trails up there. 

Hogwop

• You've raised my frosty dander!
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2019, 04:51:30 pm »

Maybe get a bike and got some of those trails up there.

That's a good idea. I wish I could just play basketball again. Maybe after I shed a few lbs I can get back into bball shape again.

311Hog

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2019, 08:48:33 pm »

best advice I can give is Keto, I haven't even been doing it exactly right and I have lost approx. 50 lbs in about 8 months with the holidays in there.  Minimal exercise as well.

rudebaker

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2019, 02:02:38 pm »

As a dentist I see signs of sleep apnea every day.  There are several signs that point to sleep apnea but it must be diagnosed through a sleep study.  After diagnosis, the method of treatment can be determined.  CPAPs are pretty much the golden standard of sleep apnea treatment but many people are sleep apnea intolerant.  If you are CPAP intolerant and want to try an oral appliance, your medical insurance wants you to have a note from your doctor saying that you are CPAP intolerant, then they will help cover the expense of an oral appliance (providing it is included in your insurance plan). 

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

seasonhog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2019, 09:44:30 pm »

It doesn’t. It’s an HMO. If there is an available military sleep clinic, then per the  HMO rules you must go there as long as they can get you in within 30 days. If not, then they will refer you to a network provider. I was referred to the Christus St. Francis Cabrini Sleep Clinic. I suppose as Chief said that there may be military sleep clinics out there, but I’ve not seen them due to being overseas or on small Forts for a majority of my career.

Our insurance is thru by Humana and labeled as TriCare (Regionally dependent).

I’m considered TriCare South.

We have to remain in compliance with our CPAPs. I have to get another one from the VA. I’ve had my old one for 4 years now.

Have used a CPAPs. for several years,  my study was done at VA , Mt. Vernon MO ,  also some of you might get check out for A-FIB ,  I have been on blood thinner for several years can cause some of same symptoms maybe sleep Apnea can bring on A-Fib.

Pork Twain

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2019, 10:36:36 am »

Knocked out my sleep study at the USAFA in Colorado Springs in 2010 and found out I had Sleep Apnea and they gave me a CPAP.  I hated it then and I hate the new one I have now.

VA counted it when I retired in 2016 and it still shows up in my rating today.

Skinny, obese, and in shape people all get sleep apnea

MarionHawgFan

• Varsity
  • yep me in all my glory
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2019, 11:02:36 am »

I have had my CPAP for a month and half and absolutely love it.  This the first time in years that I have energy at 1400 and later.  While it is a pain at times to take TDY and the like but wouldn't trade it for the world.

Squealers

• Resident Wisenhiemer®
  • Global Moderator
  • Be a Mentor, Not a TorMentor
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2019, 10:12:06 am »

Completed my sleep study this past week at the VA Hospital in Connecticut.   Got in 2 hours of sleep when they waltzed in and put a cpap mask on me.  Stated I had moderated apnea and ordered me a machine.  Sent me home with the mask and nose thingy.   Interesting process.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas