• 10,397,374 Posts
• 410,986 Topics
• 23,490 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disney World....  (Read 1769 times)

HogPharmer

Disney World....
« on: November 15, 2018, 05:37:45 pm »

It's that time.... My little girl is 5 y.o. now and my wife and I are looking into taking her to Disney World next summer. My sister and brother-in-law just got back from a trip taking their 4 & 6 y.o. girls. They stayed in the Contemporary. My wife and I are looking to book a room at the same resort. The convenience of it's location being right next to Magic Kingdom is our major draw. Looking for any advice or recommendations from anybody here with any experience. Disney is not my ideal vacation but I love my little girl and want to give her a vacation she'll always remember so I'm looking forward to it for her sake. TIA.

GolfNut57

Re: Disney World....
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 06:04:53 pm »

It's that time.... My little girl is 5 y.o. now and my wife and I are looking into taking her to Disney World next summer. My sister and brother-in-law just got back from a trip taking their 4 & 6 y.o. girls. They stayed in the Contemporary. My wife and I are looking to book a room at the same resort. The convenience of it's location being right next to Magic Kingdom is our major draw. Looking for any advice or recommendations from anybody here with any experience. Disney is not my ideal vacation but I love my little girl and want to give her a vacation she'll always remember so I'm looking forward to it for her sake. TIA.

Money...........take lots and lots and lots of money. Oh and did I say to take a lot of money?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

sevenof400

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Is it too late to remember what was best in life?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 06:38:42 pm »

Good for you, HogPharmer.  I hope y'all enjoy the experience. 

FWIW: let me offer these thoughts.  The wife and I took our kids to WDW and in retrospect, I wish we would have waited until they were just a bit older because a lot of the rides that caught their attention they either were not old or large enough to ride (under the restrictions in place back then anyway).  What does your daughter want to do while she is there?  Will she be disappointed she can't ride Space Mountain (or other rides with restrictions)?  You might explore the various ride restrictions on the WDW web site.   

At her age, you can't go all day so does she enjoy swimming? If so, what are the pool facilities at the Contemporary like these days?  How many days are y'all looking to stay?  Will you do WDW each day or do you have other things planned as well (any thing away from WDW)?  Staying on property will make going to/from your room easier but it won't be quick.  Start early each day, take a break when you get hot / tired and take advantage of the night time hours. 

You mention summer but can you be more specific?  It can get brutally hot all summer long in Florida but if you can take your trip in latest May / early June, some schools won't yet be out so while the crowds will be huge, they won't be at their largest for the summer. 

Deerhunter

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 09:39:09 am »

We usually go every year to every other year.  I know you are wanting to stay at Contemporary, but I recommend looking into Wilderness Lodge, a lot cheaper.  Contemporary is very busy and hectic, WL is laid back.  Really nice after a busy and hectic day at the parks.  Itís still a deluxe in the Magic Kingdom area and you can just take a short boat ride over.  It our favorite resort by far.  If you need recommendations on restaurants just ask.  Are yíall getting meal plan? 

There are no down times on crowds anymore at Disney like there used to be.  The poster above mention late May or early June as being lighter than the rest of summer.  I donít agree.  It used to be, but that has shifted . Late June early August is lighter, but a lot hotter.  End of May, Memorial Day weekend and week are usually packed.  Last two years it was.  In 2009 we went that weekend and it was pleasant, but like I said there really is no down time anymore, but if your going summer time the end is lighter crowds, but brutally hot. 

Any questions let me know. We have become what I would call Disney experts, lol. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 12:19:56 pm by Deerhunter »

Junkyard Hog

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 12:52:10 pm »

We've been twice....just got back from our second trip a couple of weeks ago.

If you can go in October, I would definitely recommend that.  The crowd levels were 1-2 at most parks (still a ton of people, but much better than a 10!) and the weather was good.

The first time we went we stayed at Contemporary (actually Bay Lake Towers at Contemporary).  It was convenient for the walk to Magic Kingdom and the pool was nice.  Other than that it seems pretty dated.

This last trip we stayed at The Yacht Club.  It was much more up to date and we were able to walk to Epcot and the Boardwalk.

Make sure you stay on property so you can get fast passes.  You need to book those (along with dining) 6 months ahead of time to make sure you get what you want.

Also, as mentioned above, try to hit the lottery before you go.  It's gonna cost you 8-10K probably.

HogPharmer

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 07:01:20 pm »

Thanks for the responses so far everyone. Unfortunately, I only have minimal custody of my daughter due to a divorce and a nasty ex. I only get her for a handful of weeks during the summer so weíre limited to that. Also, my wife is graduating from grad school in May and we want to take our trip before she starts work in June. So weíre going the last week of May (including Memorial Day weekend). I know itís going to be insanely busy but unfortunately, thatís the best I can do with the time I have.

My ex wife is content to collect child support and not have a job, not buy clothes for my daughter and not take her to do fun things. While I have the burden of paying  money to a woman who only has a heart filled with hate and an unwillingness to allow me more time, I am fortunate enough to have a good job that does allow me to make memories with my daughter in the small amount of time that I do have her.

As for any rides, my little girl is a chicken (just like her daddy). She wonít be interested in too many rides. Nor do I ever really expect her to be. Sheís into the princesses. Weíve got plans to do a meal at Cinderella's castle as well as at the Contemporary at Chef Mickeyís. Also plan on doing th Bippity Boppity Boutique. My sister and BIL just took their girls and said the Contemproray has a nice pool.

We do plan on getting a meal plan as well. The one with one quick service and one table service meal per day. Some of those will transfer to our more expensive meals and I know how that works for the most part.

Iím thinking we may do a couple days at MK, one at Animal Kingdom, ad possibly split a day at Epcot and Hollywood Studios but thatís the part Iím not 100% sure about. Probably going to spend 6 nights there. We have a Disney vacation planner which helps a lot. But Iím always looking for more valuable insight from those who have been.

Thanks again for all the comments/help and keep them coming!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 08:01:21 am by HogPharmer »

porque

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 11:36:30 am »

Money...........take lots and lots and lots of money. Oh and did I say to take a lot of money?

I will second this.  I took my 3 kids about 10-12 years ago and it set me back $10k.

sevenof400

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 11:54:06 am »

HogPharmer,

Serious points for you for making the following the quote line under your avatar:

I do the Bippity
Boppity Boutique.

That'll have them scratching heads in the Tavern

How's your planning going BTW?

HogPharmer

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 03:29:54 pm »

HogPharmer,

Serious points for you for making the following the quote line under your avatar:

I do the Bippity
Boppity Boutique.

So far so good. Spoke with my Disney vacation planner last week and sheís getting everything set up. Hopefully I wonít have to do much other than book my flights and pay for the trip. Hoping my boss gets me a good Christmas bonus this year and not some bogus membership to the Jelly of the Month Club.... He can be a bit of a jerk this time of year though...

The Chief

• I just don't understand...
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 04:23:11 pm »

So far so good. Spoke with my Disney vacation planner last week and sheís getting everything set up. Hopefully I wonít have to do much other than book my flights and pay for the trip. Hoping my boss gets me a good Christmas bonus this year and not some bogus membership to the Jelly of the Month Club.... He can be a bit of a jerk this time of year though...

Be sure and download the Disney app to your phone.  You can do Fast Passes and see current wait times in real time for each ride/attraction.  It's a great asset to have.

McKdaddy

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 06:08:23 pm »

I miss the Disney trips w/ the kiddos. We took them 4 consecutive years, but they ďoutgrewĒ them.  ::)  Weíve since taken them on 2 Disney cruises, but itís not the same, plus Iím not a fan of those Petri dishes.

tangman

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 07:54:48 pm »

I took my 12 year old daughter last year. She was a little old to enjoy the characters, but yours should have a blast. I bought the same meal plan you are considering and it worked out great. Just remember the more expensive restaurants will require 2 meal credits. We went in July and got caught in a rain every day it seemed, so we learned to carry ponchos. If you get to the parks when they open, you can ride rides multiple times without fastpass until the crowds get there. We went back to the room and hit the swimming pool in the heat of the day. Your daughter will love Chef Mickey's where the characters come around to your table. My daughter liked the T-Rex restaurant. The one I enjoyed the most was a 50's themed one in MK. I suspect your daughter could spend 2 days at MK and never lose interest, but expect much larger crowds at that park than the others. Animal KIngdom was much less crowded, and that's the one my daughter enjoyed the most. Make reservations for some of the shows, as they are entertaining. Lion King was one when we were there that we both enjoyed. Most importantly, I learned to go at my daughter's pace. It was her vacation, so when she wanted to spend a day at one of the water parks, I agreed. And the wave pool was freaking awesome. 

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 07:13:41 am »

You better watch your step or you might be lucky to get to plan a trip to magic springs.

go hogues

• You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 10:18:33 am »

We took our son last year and had the most wonderful time. Have a great trip! Late May is a great time to go.

If you can break away for a few hours, "Pandora, Flight of Passage" is an unbelievable ride and worth the 3 hour wait.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 03:37:25 pm »

We have gone several times and continue to find new things that we enjoy and wish we had done on earlier trips.

Humidity will be bru-tal. So, plan for indoor things at least once in your in-park time. We love Its a Bugs Life, the Nemo Ride, Soaring, the Indy Jones show, Test Track, Toy Story ride, and several others scattered over the various parks. They get you out of the sun and sometimes indoors which is really nice. Plus, you are seated and that helps. Even, the older shows like Philharmonic Mickey allow you to sit in the AC for a bit.

We tried to hit parks right as they opened. Kiddos will be cranky early but better for them to be cranky with the sun not overhead and the parks wall-to-wall people. We'd do lunch and head back to the resort. A swim followed by a nice nap was on every day's agenda. Great for kids but necessary for parents too.

I believe the Contemporary is where we stayed one time. My son loved chasing the seabirds down the beach but beyond that we found little to make it better than the econo resorts (All-Star Movies is where we usually stay). We conclude that resorts are for swimming and sleeping.

A fun winter activity is sitting with maps and a spreadsheet and letting the kids figure out places they want to go and mapping it out. We'd do one park in the morning and another in the evening.

We chanced upon Crystal Palace our first visit. It is in MK right in front of the castle. We now schedule dinner reservations there at 8pm on a night they do 9pm fireworks. Good buffet and Winnie the Pooh and his friends are there for pictures and autographs. Then, you are "right there" for fireworks. My wife likes the HS night time fireworks show set over water - can't remember the name right now - and that gives us two late nights. We try to be in early the other nights.

Tusker House in AK is a nice breakfast buffet with character dining. Then, you are in AK early for all of the stuff there. You can get in an hour prior to the park opening so you are able to get the first ride completed before the park technically opens.

There are parts of all parks we've never visited even after 5 trips. That's fine. Find places you like and go back if you want! We do the Lion King show twice every visit. Really really enjoyable (did I mention it is inside?).

Dad and spouse will enjoy Epcot's food and I think there are good options at most restaurants for little ones.

Be sure to take advantage of the "delivery service" to your resort so you aren't carrying a bunch of crap around all day.

Our first year we had a snafu regarding transportation to/from the airport - it was a Disney error and they upgraded us to a limo. It was nice. The next time we did the van shuttles and hated it. We always opt for limo service - barely costs more and you don't visit umpteen other properties (on and off resort) on your way to your DW resort (which is at the end of the line for the drop-off services). And, they'll customize your service so you don't hang around waiting for a full load. The youngsters will love it and parents are going to appreciate it as well.

The last two trips we have arranged to get into a park for dining (which means you get access to other stuff) and it didn't cost us extra? Am I remembering that correctly? We hit town around 5pm, swam for a few minutes, and then went to Epcot for the nice Italian restaurant. We were able to see the Epcot fireworks from the parking lot waiting on the transit bus to return us to our resort.

Do as much of your food purchases courtesy of the meal plan. It will save you money and help the budgeting. While expensive, just suck it up and enjoy. You can pay off the debt while the kiddos never know otherwise. NOT a place to try and go "on the cheap."

We visited downtown disney once. It was ok but after a week of shopping in the parks it was very redundant.  We have never visited the water parks - after a daily swim our water urges were met!

Side note: I have always struggled with my feet when at Disney! Tons of walking. If your shoes don't fit properly watch out! One year I thought I'd get new tennis shoes for the trip. A few minutes breaking them in at home was not enough. Oops. Another year, I opted for sandals but my feet slid around and I developed a blister. Another year I had a monster blister due to a bad toenail. NOT the place for flipflops, in my opinion.

sevenof400

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 11:16:13 am »

"...not the place for flip flops...."

Fact.

sevenof400

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 09:32:11 am »

HogPharmer,

I do the Bippity
Boppity Boutique.

Still waiting for that avatar quote line update, HogPharmer! 

holeinthewall

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 03:28:15 pm »

Toy Story ride,

We would split the kids up I would always make sure to try and hit the wife right in the forehead with the laser.

Awesome ride.  Was inside Space Mountain with the lights on.  Looks like an amusement park ride.

Haunted Mansion is good. 

Something to remember you can bring your own food and drink in. No alcohol or glass. We would always rent a stroller for the cooler and a bag full of snacks.

AirWarren

• Football impotence of the Midwest
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 01:26:25 am »

We took our 9 year old daughter in October. It was amazing. We stayed at the art of animation. We stopped in Tallahassee on the way down there. I was Leary of it because my wife and I went in 2011 and hated it. But it was an amazing trip this time. My daughter lit up and was so appreciative of the whole experience. We told her about a month ahead of time. I custom made a letter and stamp from ďthe royal palaceĒ and had told her she got some mail. My wifeís family lives in England so she thought it was from them. In the package I put the magic band bracelets in there. She thought the were Mickey fit bits lol. The we had her read the letter. She got to the part that said ďpack your bags, we are going to...Ē and she put her hand over her mouth and just started screaming and crying hahaha. We got it on video too lol. When we got there,  we hit up Disney springs formerly known as downtown Disney. Itís a great place to walk, shop, and eat. Had a great arcade too.

We did Magic Kingdom, Hollywood studios, and Epcot.

1. Magic kingdom. 9 year old girl will turn back into a 3 year old watching Disney jr almost instantly. Heck, my eyes are star struck at times.  The fireworks at magic kingdom are amazing. If you can, get reservations to eat breakfast at the Beastís castle. Wonderful experience. You also get in the park early so you can hit the rides before the crowds. The 7 dwarfs mine train is awesome, the splash mountain ride, big thunder mountain, the haunted mansion, and space mountain are musts. What surprised me is that my kiddo rode all the roller coasters.

2. Hollywood studio. Our consensus favorite. Tower of terror is amazing. Again, my kid rode it and didnít flinch. I was terrified lol. Toy story world is amazing. Star tours and the Indiana Jones experience is cool. My wife got picked to be an extra on set ha.  The best ride here imo is Aerosmith rocking rollercoaster. GREAT COASTER. Iím a Star Wars nerd and there is tons of Star Wars stuff here. I got some great pictures with chewy and great videos of storm trooper marches. Also, this is a great place for character photos. An ABSOLUTE must is the Fantasmic show(sorcerers apprentice) starring Mickey Mouse. This show alone is worth the trip. Itís absolutely amazing.

3. Epcot is great. Not as kid friendly but itís a favorite. The MISSION SPACE ride is very cool. Also the Chevrolet test track is great. Best part about Epcot is SOARIN around the world...think we road it like 4 times. Spaceship earth inside the Epcot sphere is great as well as the Frozen Ever After ride. Great food and beer everywhere. And this is the best place to get character pictures and autographs.

A couple of things that we would recommend. The memory maker photo package. You literally pay one flat flee and anytime you see a Disney worker with a camera, you scan your magic band and it downloads to your Disney app on your phone. We had over 200 pictures from our trip. No hassle. We made two books when we got back.

Fast passes and use of the Disney app. Itís a lifesaver.

We got the second tier meal plan. We did the deluxe package when it was just my wife and I that went and we found that you spent a lot of time trying to make time to eat. Which is not something I want to do 24/7 at Disney. And, at the Art of animation we had good food at the resort so we ate there a lot.

I canít wait to go back. In two years they are opening the Star Wars galaxy park. It looks like itís going to be amazing. And they are working on a tron ride which looks crazy fun. We will be headed back.

If you didnít read anything in this reply. I stress to make sure you get the MEMORY MAKER PACKAGE AND DO NOT MISS THE FANTASMIC SHOW AT HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS.

Itís truly a magical place. Have fun and make some memories. Wear some good shoes. We walked 35 miles in 3 days in the parks.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 01:40:54 am by AirWarren »

Pulled(PP)pork

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 05:18:15 am »

don't go in the summer, that's my advice

oldman1015

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 11:59:26 am »

Amen

AirWarren

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 06:20:40 pm »

October was a fantastic time of the year.

Pulled(PP)pork

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2019, 08:56:12 pm »

I took my girls in June, it was unbearable at times.  just think, 40K sweaty people rubbing and bumping into each other, lined up for rides/attractions/shows.

AirWarren

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 09:48:51 pm »

I took my girls in June, it was unbearable at times.  just think, 40K sweaty people rubbing and bumping into each other, lined up for rides/attractions/shows.

February was nice temps.  But we found out that a ton of European and South American schools were out of school at this time and the place was flooded with rude foreign folks. And there was a ton of teenagers there from other countries there on school trips.

October was way better than February.

HogPharmer

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 12:34:26 pm »

Still waiting for that avatar quote line update, HogPharmer! 

Going good. My grandma had some non-expirable passes from a long time ago (they don't offer those anymore). Our vacation planner is getting me a side-by-side comparison for how much they will save me because we will still have to purchase some passes. As Bigpigpimpin mentioned, I've noticed that the cost difference for 3 people having 5 day passes vs. 7 days passes is only like $30 or $40 so if those passes that don't expire only save me a few bucks, I'm just going to save them for a later booking.

Disney also offered a $500 discount a few days ago and my vacation planner was able to go in and grab us that discount for our existing booking so she's already saved me over $500. She's also setting us up with a 3rd party stroller rental that will be in our room the day we arrive. The Disney strollers suck from what I've heard.

Does anybody know if there's any sort of convenience stores located somewhat close to the resorts? We'll have a meal plan, but I'd also like to get some snacks and waters, red bulls, gatorades, etc. for the room. We will be taking the shuttle from the airport to the resort so making a pit stop with an uber isn't an option as of right now. I wouldn't mind to take an uber from the resort after we check in to somewhere as long as it wouldn't take too long.

AirWarren

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 01:12:33 pm »

Going good. My grandma had some non-expirable passes from a long time ago (they don't offer those anymore). Our vacation planner is getting me a side-by-side comparison for how much they will save me because we will still have to purchase some passes. As Bigpigpimpin mentioned, I've noticed that the cost difference for 3 people having 5 day passes vs. 7 days passes is only like $30 or $40 so if those passes that don't expire only save me a few bucks, I'm just going to save them for a later booking.

Disney also offered a $500 discount a few days ago and my vacation planner was able to go in and grab us that discount for our existing booking so she's already saved me over $500. She's also setting us up with a 3rd party stroller rental that will be in our room the day we arrive. The Disney strollers suck from what I've heard.

Does anybody know if there's any sort of convenience stores located somewhat close to the resorts? We'll have a meal plan, but I'd also like to get some snacks and waters, red bulls, gatorades, etc. for the room. We will be taking the shuttle from the airport to the resort so making a pit stop with an uber isn't an option as of right now. I wouldn't mind to take an uber from the resort after we check in to somewhere as long as it wouldn't take too long.

There are gas stations and I believe a Mcdonald's within the resorts.

Also, there is a Walmart right outside of the Disney resort. It was like a 5 minute drive from Art of Animation studio. There will be tolls, so take plenty of change. Plenty of eateries in and around that area too that are your typical chains.

Just another little tid bit of information, the walmart of SLAP FULL of Disney merchandise at a fraction of the cost if you want some souvenirs.

Disney does a wonderful job of accommodations. We even participated in a trial thing where certain resorts allow you to bring your pet. So we took our shih-Tzu with us and she even got a goodie bag from Disney. My daughter got a "first visit" button that she wore around everywhere and was treated like a princess everywhere she went. They got the hospitality down...but I guess for what you pay, they better lol.

oldman1015

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2019, 03:13:11 pm »

I've been in July and Christmas.

ricepig

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2019, 07:39:35 pm »

I've been in July and Christmas.

Late January/February and October for me, and there's always foreigners there when the U.S. school kids are in session.

HogPharmer

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2019, 05:42:40 pm »

Just got back from our Disney trip last Friday. My number one piece of advice is as follows:

Take (at minimum) 2 pairs of underwear for each day you are there... The swamp butt is real.

Otherwise we (especially the little one) had a great time!

sevenof400

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2019, 08:25:39 am »

Just got back from our Disney trip last Friday. My number one piece of advice is as follows:

Take (at minimum) 2 pairs of underwear for each day you are there... The swamp butt is real.

Otherwise we (especially the little one) had a great time!

HogPharmer,

Are the lyrics still running through your head?

It's a small world after all!

Glad to hear y'all had a great time!

HogPharmer

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2019, 03:02:55 pm »

HogPharmer,

Are the lyrics still running through your head?

Glad to hear y'all had a great time!

I managed to get out of there without going through that attraction so I'm all good!

vandybuff

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2019, 11:33:41 pm »

this might seem silly, but if school is not a conflict have you thought of 'fall or winter'.   Far, far less crowded; better weather; less expensive.  And unless you always thought 'walking on the face of the sun' would be enjoyable, non-summer is more comfy.

HogPharmer

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2019, 11:57:05 am »

this might seem silly, but if school is not a conflict have you thought of 'fall or winter'.   Far, far less crowded; better weather; less expensive.  And unless you always thought 'walking on the face of the sun' would be enjoyable, non-summer is more comfy.

Trust me, I would MUCH rather have gone during the cooler, less crowded times. My daughter is from a previous marriage though and my times where I get her for full weeks at a time (i.e. the times when I can take her on trips like this) are limited to the summer time only unfortunately. So we had to make the best of the time that we had and went as soon as we could before getting into the dog days of summer. We still had a great time and I would definitely go again, especially if I could manage to get a trip in during the cooler times of the year.

I think we are going to try for a cruise next summer. My wife and I both love cruising and my daughter will be 6 next summer so she'll be big enough to go and actually enjoy it.

vandybuff

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2019, 05:56:29 pm »

Just a fyi re:  off season.  I have a young adult child who is a 'kid again' at WDW.  Until about four years ago, she would go in early to mid January.  She said the light crowds, discounted on-property hotels, cheap flights made it a 'real deal'.  Because she sold her biz and moved west three years ago and she is now a DLand attendee, I do not know the current deals at WDW. 

All the best to you and yours!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas