Non Sports Forums > FINANCE/INVESTMENT FORUM

Walmart Outsourcing employees from its home office?

Pages: (1/1)

sevenof400:

That is a rather interesting although not entirely unexpected development I suppose. None the less what does it say when Walmart corporate is doing this to its own employees in Bentonville?

Pulled(PP)pork:

is that kind of like, pimpin'?

PP

ricepig:

They continue to work for comparable pay and benefits in a building on the WM campus, I can't see where it's much of a change, except from where your paycheck is direct deposit from. I guess it would depend what "comparable" is.

HiggiePiggy:

All I can say to future people looking to get into the workforce.  Do not go to the home office.  Your job is never safe there.   

They are a company that does not care at all about their employees.  A company that is making almost a trillion a year and they are continuing to cut people every quarter. 

ricepig:

--- Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 10, 2018, 11:09:09 am ---All I can say to future people looking to get into the workforce.  Do not go to the home office.  Your job is never safe there.   

They are a company that does not care at all about their employees.  A company that is making almost a trillion a year and they are continuing to cut people every quarter. 

--- End quote ---

Looks to me they made $9.86B in profit, so just a little shy of a trillion.

https://amigobulls.com/stocks/WMT/income-statement/annual

Vantage 8 dude:

--- Quote from: ricepig on November 10, 2018, 01:03:44 pm ---Looks to me they made $9.86B in profit, so just a little shy of a trillion.

--- End quote ---
Yep, just a "smidgen" short of a trillion. No doubt a simple "rounding error". Darn those accountants >:(.

99toLife:

--- Quote from: sevenof400 on November 10, 2018, 08:10:38 am ---That is a rather interesting although not entirely unexpected development I suppose. None the less what does it say when Walmart corporate is doing this to its own employees in Bentonville?

--- End quote ---

Been doing it for many years- Green Badge vs Blue Badge at the home office. 

HiggiePiggy:

--- Quote from: ricepig on November 10, 2018, 01:03:44 pm ---Looks to me they made $9.86B in profit, so just a little shy of a trillion.

--- End quote ---

Iím not talking what the waltons take home. I am talking about how much the company makes a year.  They should not be laying anyone off. Let people get fired, quit, or retired on there own.   Many families are destroyed by there way of screwing people out of jobs every quarter.   

99toLife:

--- Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 10, 2018, 04:48:32 pm ---Iím not talking what the waltons take home. I am talking about how much the company makes a year.  They should not be laying anyone off. Let people get fired, quit, or retired on there own.   Many families are destroyed by there way of screwing people out of jobs every quarter.   

--- End quote ---

Unless you are on Executive row inside the home office those jobs are what you make of them.  Trust me it's a work yourself from the inside out of Wal-Mart for more money.. Remember, no one forces you to work for Wal-Mart..

majestic:

--- Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 10, 2018, 04:48:32 pm ---Iím not talking what the waltons take home. I am talking about how much the company makes a year.  They should not be laying anyone off. Let people get fired, quit, or retired on there own.   Many families are destroyed by there way of screwing people out of jobs every quarter.   

--- End quote ---
THEIR sales are about 500 billion per year. I've never been a fan of the layoff/rehire cycle they go through every couple of years. But you want cheap crap....

HawgWild:

Personnel costs are an Albatross to every company. Employee salaries and benefits increase each year. Outsource them and let someone else worry about that. Not saying it's right but that's what happens.

sevenof400:

--- Quote from: ricepig on November 10, 2018, 10:02:48 am ---They continue to work for comparable pay and benefits in a building on the WM campus, I can't see where it's much of a change, except from where your paycheck is direct deposit from. I guess it would depend what "comparable" is.

--- End quote ---

The story I heard on NPR suggested the hiring of former Wal Mart employees at the outsourced firm was not necessarily guaranteed to be at the same wage with the same benefits. 
Of course, some verification is needed here but if that is true that doesn't paint any sort of positive picture for / of Wal Mart corporate. 

sevenof400:

--- Quote from: HawgWild on November 10, 2018, 05:26:08 pm ---Personnel costs are an Albatross to every company. Employee salaries and benefits increase each year. Outsource them and let someone else worry about that. Not saying it's right but that's what happens.

--- End quote ---

I hear you to an extent but it's not like Wal Mart is hurting. 
This is a problem with any company trying to meet analyst expectations.  Who in the hell monitors the analysts who set expectations?

99toLife:

--- Quote from: sevenof400 on November 10, 2018, 05:31:20 pm ---The story I heard on NPR suggested the hiring of former Wal Mart employees at the outsourced firm was not necessarily guaranteed to be at the same wage with the same benefits. 
Of course, some verification is needed here but if that is true that doesn't paint any sort of positive picture for / of Wal Mart corporate.

--- End quote ---

Correct, sometimes it's better..

thebignasty:

--- Quote from: sevenof400 on November 10, 2018, 05:31:20 pm ---The story I heard on NPR suggested the hiring of former Wal Mart employees at the outsourced firm was not necessarily guaranteed to be at the same wage with the same benefits. 

--- End quote ---
I also figure 6 months to a year from now the new company will start the process of laying off what they think they don't need.

Pulled(PP)pork:

--- End quote ---
large hospitals do the same thing, lay you off, then you have to re-interview usually at a lower pay wage

PP

ricepig:

--- End quote ---

If you actually work for WM in the department that is outsourcing the jobs, it's completely understandable, you can't read a profit/loss statement. Good luck in the future.

ricepig:

--- End quote ---

I said comparable.

http://walmartnewsonline.com/2018/11/08/walmart-outsourcing-its-financial-and-accounting-services/

Vantage 8 dude:

--- Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on November 10, 2018, 10:32:51 pm ---large hospitals do the same thing, lay you off, then you have to re-interview usually at a lower pay wage

PP

--- End quote ---
No doubt. My wife, who retired several years ago, was a RN at one of the major hospitals in central Arkansas. They were notorious for laying off staff and/or absolutely working the nurses and others to death with little or no raises. Their excuse was they were bleeding money and couldn't make a profit. And yet.......lo and behold from time to time they managed to find the monies to continually buy up other hospitals and give their own executives nice tidy increases in salary. Yep, talking about a classic example of tooting out of both sides of your rear........ >:( :( :-X

HiggiePiggy:

--- Quote from: ricepig on November 11, 2018, 07:34:02 am ---If you actually work for WM in the department that is outsourcing the jobs, it's completely understandable, you can't read a profit/loss statement. Good luck in the future.

--- End quote ---

My wife was part of one of their many layoffs.  Itís a crappy move by Walmart.  All I am saying is if you are looking for security in a job then do not go to Walmart because they are a company that does not care at all about employees. 

HawgWild:

--- Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 11, 2018, 01:54:13 pm ---My wife was part of one of their many layoffs.  Itís a crappy move by Walmart.  All I am saying is if you are looking for security in a job then do not go to Walmart because they are a company that does not care at all about employees.

--- End quote ---

Sorry for your wife's experiences. Job security and guaranteed pensions are becoming a thing of the past.

ricepig:

--- Quote from: HawgWild on November 11, 2018, 03:16:48 pm ---Sorry for your wife's experiences. Job security and guaranteed pensions are becoming a thing of the past.

--- End quote ---

Correct, these days it's a 401k and some part they may or may not match. Any layoff isn't good when it effects you personally.

Pulled(PP)pork:

--- Quote from: ricepig on November 11, 2018, 03:55:06 pm ---Correct, these days it's a 401k and some part they may or may not match. Any layoff isn't good when it effects you personally.

--- End quote ---
but they offer matching, up to 3%

PP

ricepig:

--- Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on November 11, 2018, 09:05:20 pm ---but they offer matching, up to 3%

PP

--- End quote ---

We were talking about companies in general.

Pulled(PP)pork:

--- Quote from: ricepig on November 12, 2018, 07:52:48 am ---We were talking about companies in general.

--- End quote ---
I was being sarcastic.....in general
 :P

PP

AirWarren:

--- Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on November 10, 2018, 10:32:51 pm ---large hospitals do the same thing, lay you off, then you have to re-interview usually at a lower pay wage

PP

--- End quote ---

Indeed.

hog.goblin:

Wal-Mart is closing 292 stores in 2019.  That means 18 checkout attendants will lose their jobs...

HiggiePiggy:

--- Quote from: hog.goblin on December 02, 2018, 05:04:39 pm ---Wal-Mart is closing 292 stores in 2019.  That means 18 checkout attendants will lose their jobs...

--- End quote ---

Lol.

ricepig:

--- Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 02, 2018, 07:45:48 pm ---Lol.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, those must be the stores in NWA, they're always overstaffed, compared to the rest of the world.

twistitup:

--- Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on November 10, 2018, 08:13:20 am ---is that kind of like, pimpin'?

PP

--- End quote ---

Pimpin ain't easy

twistitup:

--- Quote from: HawgWild on November 10, 2018, 05:26:08 pm ---Personnel costs are an Albatross to every company. Employee salaries and benefits increase each year. Outsource them and let someone else worry about that. Not saying it's right but that's what happens.

--- End quote ---

This is why employee loyalty is a thing of the past

McKdaddy:

--- Quote from: hog.goblin on December 02, 2018, 05:04:39 pm ---Wal-Mart is closing 292 stores in 2019.  That means 18 checkout attendants will lose their jobs...

--- End quote ---

+1

Pat Goss:

Even as Walmart plans to close hundreds of locations, it also intends to open more than 300 stores in the next year, including 50 to 60 supercenters in the United States and 85 to 95 Neighborhood Markets. The stores that are to be shuttered are ones that the retailer says account for less than 1 percent of global revenue.  20 checkout attendants will be hired for the new store openings. 

Tommy:

--- Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 10, 2018, 11:09:09 am ---All I can say to future people looking to get into the workforce.  Do not go to the home office.  Your job is never safe there.   

--- End quote ---

Yep

BigoBoys:

--- Quote from: 99toLife on November 10, 2018, 02:38:57 pm ---Been doing it for many years- Green Badge vs Blue Badge at the home office. 

--- End quote ---
The green badge hasn't been around for many years. 

99toLife:

--- Quote from: BigoBoys on January 27, 2019, 06:38:02 pm ---The green badge hasn't been around for many years.

--- End quote ---

Didn't know that, 2012 was last year I worked at the home office...

Inhogswetrust:

--- End quote ---

ALL big companies have layoffs and buyouts and turnover.

Inhogswetrust:

--- Quote from: twistitup on December 03, 2018, 08:08:34 am ---This is why employee loyalty is a thing of the past

--- End quote ---
Not for all employees and all companies BUT it has been going on now since the baby boomer generation.

Inhogswetrust:

--- Quote from: HawgWild on November 11, 2018, 03:16:48 pm ---Sorry for your wife's experiences. Job security and guaranteed pensions are becoming a thing of the past.

--- End quote ---

Yep. If anyone takes a job with any company thinking they will have job security they are fooling themselves.

Biggus Piggus:

I'd love to know how this is going for Genpact and Walmart. Interpreting internal numbers is hard enough when you have many years of institutional knowledge to deal with how business units and systems changed and dealt with the many vagaries of reporting and analysis.

HawgWild:

The algorithm isnít talking.

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version