• 10,335,439 Posts
• 409,103 Topics
• 23,366 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Way Too Early Looks at the 2020 - 2022 Hogs  (Read 6648 times)

MemphisBossHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Way Too Early Looks at the 2020 - 2022 Hogs
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2019, 06:05:22 pm »

Yeah, for me, a crafty lefty is someone who is more 86-88 and hitting 90-91 who mixes speeds and has just decent offspeed.  Wicklander was mainly 90-93 this year hitting 95 with a wicked slider.  His change is also decent.
yeah, my apologies if I used the term incorrectly.   Im not trying to put Wick in the category of crafty lefty who throws junk.  I just meant that he is a left hander who in the baseball world is "special" just because of that. LOL and he offers something different from what we have had the past couple of seasons.

I see your point about Wicklander.  I just mean he is different from Blaine and Isaiah in that he isnt the prototypical right handed Friday night ace.   Im excited to see what he can do being a lefty and being the top guy.   I hope that Wicklander can mix in some different speeds and maybe some different arm angles to keep the batters uncomfortable.  I dont see him having the variety of pitches that Isaiah had this past season, but I could be wrong. I will defer to uca or the board if this is wrong.  I do know that he does have a filthy slider if he is on and hopefully this season and its experiences will have him ready to step up and take that Friday night spot.

PintailKiller

« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2019, 10:44:29 am »

I can see a path where Wicklander ends up more like Ethan Small from MSU.  His out pitch would be the slider instead of Small's change.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

woodrow hog call

« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2019, 11:12:28 am »

I think the upside for Wicklander is very high, certainly looking forward to see what he adds between now and next spring. Sometimes it hard for us to know how many pitches a guy has that he is comfortable throwing. I think Bubba is pretty good at seeing the different pitch selection, but for the average fan we might think a guy is only throwing two or three pitches, when he is actually throwing four. The difference might be so slight that we canít pick it up but, the advantage can be in the confidence he has in throwing that fourth pitch in certain count.

AlmaHog2011

« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2019, 09:00:30 pm »

Supposedly had an offer at one time... but baseball talks slowed down after hurting his knee from what I heard.

No we need him on the football field and need him a lot and need him badly!

AgriHawg

• Walk-On
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2019, 01:18:43 am »

1. Washington - LF Some will think this is crazy I know, but in limited ABís his numbers are perfect for leadoff and he should improve significantly this offseason
2. Goodheart - 1B Hit machine will move the leadoff batter to scoring position
3. Martin - SS Gets protection from Kjerstad
4. Kjerstad - RF Might see a dip in RBIís with Marin clearing the bases in front of him
5. Webb DH Should force pitchers to face Kjerstad
6. Opitz - C Could swap with Nesbit but I like his grit to get the timely hit better. 
7. Franklin - CF Provides some good pop in the bottom of the lineup
8. Nesbit - 3B
9. Boulware - 2B Should have a good OBP for the top of the lineup to drive him in

Probably wonít be the lineup we see, but itís my guess as of now and Iíd like to see how it would function.  So am I crazy or just delusional?

woodrow hog call

« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2019, 08:39:42 am »

1. Washington - LF Some will think this is crazy I know, but in limited ABís his numbers are perfect for leadoff and he should improve significantly this offseason
4. Kjerstad - RF Might see a dip in RBIís with Marin clearing the bases in front of him
6. Opitz - C Could swap with Nesbit but I like his grit to get the timely hit better. 
8. Nesbit - 3B
9. Boulware - 2B Should have a good OBP for the top of the lineup to drive him in

Probably wonít be the lineup we see, but itís my guess as of now and Iíd like to see how it would function.  So am I crazy or just delusional?

Solid first post for sure, as to whether youíre crazy or delusional, itís too soon to tell about that. 😉

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2019, 09:10:32 am »

No we need him on the football field and need him a lot and need him badly!
agreed, just saying at one time he supposedly had an offer.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2019, 09:12:52 am »

8. Nesbit - 3B

I think thats what we see from 2-5.. everything else is a guess right now. I like goodheart in the 2 , Casey in the 3, and Kjerstad in the 4 for protection.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2019, 09:29:27 am »

I can see a path where Wicklander ends up more like Ethan Small from MSU.  His out pitch would be the slider instead of Small's change.

If he grows a MPH or 2, and gets that change to perform, he is a nasty 3 pitch guy.  That will also help him get through a lineup the third time and solidify a Friday night role, IMO

A Hogwork Orange

« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2019, 09:32:52 am »

No

Do you have a timeline on when we could find out about this?

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I liked Big Mike but it was a lie
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2019, 09:41:14 am »

Do you have a timeline on when we could find out about this?

We should know something after summer classes

AgriHawg

• Walk-On
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2019, 11:53:53 am »

Solid first post for sure, as to whether youíre crazy or delusional, itís too soon to tell about that. 😉

Thanks, I was hoping my first post wouldn't make me look completely stupid.  Which is why I didn't mention pitching for next season, I'm not sure what's going to happen there other than I expect to see Wicklander and Noland in some form or fashion.

hogdollar

« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2019, 12:09:59 pm »

8. Nesbit - 3B

Doesn't look to bad but I would expect Chet Allison to be in the lineup somewhere and I would bet in LF.

EconHawg

« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2019, 12:24:24 pm »

I like Washington, and I'm certainly not saying he won't be at the top of the order next year, but I'll need to see him get a hit against an SEC pitcher before I'd be ready to predict he'll hit in the 1 hole next season.

He had some nice plate appearances in non-con play, but was 0-2 on the season in SEC AB's. Also, his K% on the season (.279) trailed only McFarland (.293) and Franklin (.289).

I do love his potential, and especially his apparent attitude and love for the game. Hope we do see him progress to the point he's a top of the order guy. 

311Hog

« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2019, 12:26:10 pm »

i just expect the unexpected hehe =) I know last year it was Lifiri? sp that seemed like the most likely to play, no one thought Kenley would do what he did.

I guess sit back and try to think of the most unlikely thing and that will happen it is the Hogs after all

EconHawg

« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2019, 12:28:29 pm »

3B might be a battle to watch during the off season. Nesbit's defense was great (and I'm a big fan of his), but I think he'll need to hit better than .262 next year to stay locked into an everyday role. I wouldn't be surprised to see him progress and keep that spot though.

factchecker

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2019, 12:42:49 pm »

I do love his potential, and especially his apparent attitude and love for the game. Hope we do see him progress to the point he's a top of the order guy.
Same here.  Washington filled that energy role that Cowboy's transfer left vacated.  There are only so many slots in the lineup but I'd love to have him battle and stick around like Kenley did (if he doesn't earn a starting role this season).

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2019, 10:17:34 am »

This thread seems to be a good place to put in a couple of updates.

Several of you have asked me about potential transfers....at this time, I'm not at liberty to discuss names. I will tell you that we have a potential MIF transferring and another pitcher. The latter I've long considered a long shot. I still am in believe it when I see it mode. But, if it comes to fruition, it will be a game changer.

The MIF is looking more and more likely as we speak. ....big time stick with pop and will hit for average. Will be coming off of injury and will be a senior. You're gonna like this one if it happens.

Another familiar face could also return I'm told.

Nothing is certain at this point. But I just wanted to update you on a few things that are getting more and more smoke.

navyhog24

« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2019, 10:20:49 am »

ucahogfan

« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2019, 10:28:24 am »

Doesn't look to bad but I would expect Chet Allison to be in the lineup somewhere and I would bet in LF.
Yeah, DVH had a hard time containing his excitement about Allison.  Think he slots into LF as well.

EconHawg

« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2019, 10:46:22 am »

Several of you have asked me about potential transfers....at this time, I'm not at liberty to discuss names. I will tell you that we have a potential MIF transferring and another pitcher. The latter I've long considered a long shot. I still am in believe it when I see it mode. But, if it comes to fruition, it will be a game changer.

The MIF is looking more and more likely as we speak. ....big time stick with pop and will hit for average. Will be coming off of injury and will be a senior. You're gonna like this one if it happens.

Nothing is certain at this point. But I just wanted to update you on a few things that are getting more and more smoke.

This might be a reach, but...

Would that familiar face be living in San Marcos at the moment? There's a former Hog on that team and their coach did just retire.

I get it if you don't want to/can't say anymore, I'm just playing the wild speculation game here. Also, thanks for the updates.

kennymayne

« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2019, 11:11:08 am »

Looks like its happening. Cole Austin from Arizona State.
https://mobile.twitter.com/coleraustin/status/1142908305016332293

AlmaHog2011

« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2019, 12:43:10 pm »

MIF? Sorry I am not up on this?

Wisco Pig

« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2019, 12:45:45 pm »

MIF? Sorry I am not up on this?

Middle infielder

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2019, 04:30:29 pm »

This might be a reach, but...

Would that familiar face be living in San Marcos at the moment? There's a former Hog on that team and their coach did just retire.

I get it if you don't want to/can't say anymore, I'm just playing the wild speculation game here. Also, thanks for the updates.

No, although I liked Jaxon.

Supermark101

• Hogvillian
  • We all need a little Love

bulldog04

« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2019, 09:29:18 pm »

Here's my projection for 2019
1. Franklin CF
2. Martin SS
3. Goodheart 1b
4. Kjerstad RF
5. Allison LF
6. Cole Austin 3b
7 Webb DH
8. Opitz
9. Nesbit 2b

Weekend Rotation
Wicklander
Noland
Kopps

Mid Week Starter:
Blake Adams

Long Relief: Ramage
Middle Guys:
Denton, Zeb, Trest, Burton, Monke, Taylor, Henry

Closer:
Caleb Bolden

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #127 on: June 28, 2019, 09:48:41 pm »

I'll update my lineup as well with the new info:

1. Goodheart 1B, I still think he is gonna be the highest OBP guy next year
2. Martin SS, I think he improves at SS defensively to become an above average SEC SS, he just gets to so many balls that if he can even get down to 10-12 errors he will be a very good defender. Offensively, if he can lay off high heat and the low breaking ball, he will be the number one pick in the draft and our best all-around hitter, so hit him second
3. Austin 3B, he has the potential to be a very good hitter, but given the fact that the most low-leverage ABs (no on and 2 outs) go to the 3-hole, this spot lets him have some growing pains and bad ABs while also giving him the chance to get a bunch of ABs.
4. Kjerstadt RF, obvious
5. Webb DH, I expect him to be very good next year
6. Allison LF, You could flip him and Austin, and maybe by the end of the year DVH does so, but I like Allison here to protect Webb and Opitz, my 7-hole
7. Opitz C, RBI guy who I expect to show off a higher BA and a significantly higher slugging percentage while keeping his OBP up with patience at the plate. I expect him to OPS above .850, which would make him a middle-of-the-order bat on most teams besides ours and why I had him at the 3-hole before the addition of Austin
8. Boulware, 2B, Perhaps our one lone weak spot in the lineup, but he wasn't just awful at the plate in 2018 and his defense looks to be very very good as well as his baserunning. I expect him to OPS between .750 and .775 and have like a .295/.395/.360 slash line, which is okay.
9. Franklin CF, his defense looks to project better than Fletcher's if he can learn his routes even 80% as good as Fletch did. If Franklin can learn to consistently be able to hit 91-93 on the fastball, he should be very effective as a second leadoff role developing into the true leadoff guy come 2021

AlmaHog2011

« Reply #128 on: June 28, 2019, 10:00:05 pm »

Doesn't Webb play second base? If he does I don't see him DHing.

navyhog24

« Reply #129 on: June 28, 2019, 10:05:43 pm »

Dont forget about incoming freshman, Jason Hodges. I could really see him starting at DH or even 1B.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2019, 09:50:24 am »

Dont forget about incoming freshman, Jason Hodges. I could really see him starting at DH or even 1B.
crushes

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2019, 02:38:51 pm »

The Allison news changes things for me. If Iím DVJ Iíd consider trying Goodheart in LF and Hodges at 1B at this point.

ucahogfan

« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2019, 02:41:02 pm »

The Allison news changes things for me. If Iím DVJ Iíd consider trying Goodheart in LF and Hodges at 1B at this point.
Goodheart's arm is not strong enough to play LF.

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2019, 03:16:31 pm »

Goodheart's arm is not strong enough to play LF.

I bet it could be
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas