• 10,546,654 Posts
• 415,604 Topics
• 23,821 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Willie McCovey passed away peacefully on Oct. 31 at the age of 80  (Read 353 times)

jbcarol

Re: Willie McCovey passed away peacefully on Oct. 31 at the age of 80
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 08:14:57 pm »

Robert Wilonsky
‏Verified account@RobertWilonsky
 3h3 hours ago

Spent the day reading 1957 @dallasnews stories about Willie McCovey's days as a Dallas Eagle. I also went to visit one of his former teammates. And then I wrote this.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2018/11/01/before-baseball-legend-19-year-old-willie-mccovey-soared-1957-dallas-eagle

The future Baseball Hall of Famer's name was misspelled the first time it appeared in The Dallas Morning News, on Sept. 30, 1956. "Willie Lee Covey," this newspaper called the kid who that season hit .310 for the New York Giants' Class-B affiliate in Danville, Va.

Willie McCovey, the teen first-baseman from Mobile, Ala., was coming off a year during which he hit 29 homers and 38 doubles, leading the Carolina League. The big club was promoting him up to Dallas, to the mighty Eagles of the Texas League.

McCovey's time in Dallas would not last long — a single championship season spent on the banks of the Trinity River, at Burnett Field on Jefferson Boulevard. His days wearing an Eagle uniform are, at most, an aside in an illustrious career. I've yet to see that 1957 season mentioned in the obituaries and tributes penned since McCovey's death at the age of 80 on Wednesday.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas