• 10,570,239 Posts
• 416,080 Topics
• 23,903 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Improved record..  (Read 3296 times)

hogfanny

Re: Improved record..
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2018, 11:39:08 am »

2-10
5-7
7-5

is that enough to keep people from whining... or does it need to be more drastic earlier?!!! Is that type of improvement enough to keep his job?
Hogs have tougher schedule so if he does it will be a greater accomplishment if he can pull it off.  Don't want to  Underestimate the SEC west.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2018, 07:47:50 pm »

Benny, good to hear from you again. I would like to hear your take on the season from both sides of the fence, what has been good and what has been bad.

The Good: Morris's work as a HC has improved quite noticeably. Early in the season, Smiley could have been coaching the OOC teams and we would have still lost and truly been outcoached. If Morris put as much effort in the game plan against NT as he did Bama, very little question that we would have secured a victory. Further, while Morris wasn't able to get as good a quality recruiting class as Bielema was in his first class, Morris looks to have a very good class in year two. Lastly, we've seen the flashes up and down the roster of the good talent we already have.

The Bad: We've lost four games and counting this season where we were noticeably the more talented team. It's one thing to lose games because you simply lack the talent and need to recruit better. It's another when coaching blunders and mental quit are the factors responsible. Combine that with struggles of scheme fitting and that's largely why we are where we are right now.

The Ugly: Already mentioned above, but there have been two particularly ugly aspects of this season. The mental hangover from the Bielema era and the misfit of scheme. If physical ability was all that mattered, there is zero question that this team should have made a bowl. The only question on the season would be whether we go to a toilet bowl at 6-6 or a better bowl depending on how good our opponents were/how our transition to Morris went. However, this team has a lot of quit in them which is probably the biggest legacy of the Bielema era. He leaves a lot of physical talent, but talent that struggles to translate itself to the field. (Think Brandon Allen and his time here. This team has BA level talent top to bottom and across the board. However, they are playing like 2013 BA, but all it would take would the equivalent of hiring a Enos type coach to flip that switch and have 2015 BA). Which brings me to the second ugly. Obviously the style that Morris wants to run is different rom the style that Bielema was running. Obviously that will lead to some changing pains. However, Morris has really struggled to adapt to the talent at hand. He's gotten better as the season went on. However, he really used the TE's in the spring game before completely forgetting that we have a flock of NFL level TE's on the roster until halfway through the season. Not to mention the struggle of being unable to pick a qb which really set the offense backwards. Further, this IMO has has only served to increase the problems above. Poor coaching has led to players doubting the coaching staff, and thus doubting their ability to win. Lastly, breaking with my theme here a bit, but also the lacking of a winning mentality has been enhanced by the new coaching staff.

Most importantly, what needs to happen moving forward? How do we improve? The basic answer is simple. We need to improve that killer instinct. The team can have all the potential in the world, but it won't matter if that potential doesn't eventually become production. Morris is in no way responsible for the mentality of the team he inherited. However, the team has regressed under Morris and that is on him. Obviously better talent won't hurt, but there are two things on that. You are never going to be able to have clones of players that are all exactly the same. See Petrino in 2010 vs 2011. Might as well have two completely different offenses despite only having Wilson and DJ instead of Mallett and Davis. You have to be able to adapt to the talent that you have on hand. The second aspect is team respect of the coaching staff. Anybody who thinks these players are trying to sabotage the new coaching staff out of loyalty to the old has a short memory seemingly forgetting that they completely lost all respect for the old staff and gave up on them. It certainly seems though that several of our best players on the team don't seem to have bought in to the new staff, and to their defense, the new staff has struggled to sell anything worth buying, performing worse than Bielema ever did. While younger players that are eager to buy anything are trying, if the coaching staff does not continue to improve, then even the incoming talent will eventually see through the staff and we'll be right back at square one.

In short, if things don't change, our best case scenario is as an Auburn-lite. Only capable of success if the player's skill sets and talent is juuuuust right. The second that Morris doesn't exactly what he needs then the team will suck, but could boom for that one or two seasons where things are just right. Morris has shown improvement, but that's the big downside with having a coach with so little experience. They do have to learn on the job essentially.

Admittedly this post has been fairly doom and gloomy. However, to be fair, this is one of the worst seasons in all of SEC history. Excluding Vandy because they have been truly quite bad, quite often, there have only been 12 other 2 win or fewer seasons in the past 30 years, and 6 of those are Kentucky. That puts us in the bottom 3.333% of seasons, bottom 2% if you also exclude Kentucky). Hell, for Arkansas school history, you have to go back all the way to 1952 to find a 2 win season, and even then, there were fewer games. So, barring some sort of miracle, this year will go down as quite objectively the worst season in the entire history of the program.

However, it doesn't have to be that way. There is still hope to cling on to. Morris is learning to expand his playcalling to match talent. He is bringing in a good recruiting class so far. The red flags are definitely outweighing the green lights at the moment, but there is potential for this to end up being a good hire. However, like players themselves, it's currently just potential and lacking production.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

presidenthog

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2018, 09:12:45 pm »

The Good: Morris's work as a HC has improved quite noticeably. Early in the season, Smiley could have been coaching the OOC teams and we would have still lost and truly been outcoached. If Morris put as much effort in the game plan against NT as he did Bama, very little question that we would have secured a victory. Further, while Morris wasn't able to get as good a quality recruiting class as Bielema was in his first class, Morris looks to have a very good class in year two. Lastly, we've seen the flashes up and down the roster of the good talent we already have.

The Bad: We've lost four games and counting this season where we were noticeably the more talented team. It's one thing to lose games because you simply lack the talent and need to recruit better. It's another when coaching blunders and mental quit are the factors responsible. Combine that with struggles of scheme fitting and that's largely why we are where we are right now.

The Ugly: Already mentioned above, but there have been two particularly ugly aspects of this season. The mental hangover from the Bielema era and the misfit of scheme. If physical ability was all that mattered, there is zero question that this team should have made a bowl. The only question on the season would be whether we go to a toilet bowl at 6-6 or a better bowl depending on how good our opponents were/how our transition to Morris went. However, this team has a lot of quit in them which is probably the biggest legacy of the Bielema era. He leaves a lot of physical talent, but talent that struggles to translate itself to the field. (Think Brandon Allen and his time here. This team has BA level talent top to bottom and across the board. However, they are playing like 2013 BA, but all it would take would the equivalent of hiring a Enos type coach to flip that switch and have 2015 BA). Which brings me to the second ugly. Obviously the style that Morris wants to run is different rom the style that Bielema was running. Obviously that will lead to some changing pains. However, Morris has really struggled to adapt to the talent at hand. He's gotten better as the season went on. However, he really used the TE's in the spring game before completely forgetting that we have a flock of NFL level TE's on the roster until halfway through the season. Not to mention the struggle of being unable to pick a qb which really set the offense backwards. Further, this IMO has has only served to increase the problems above. Poor coaching has led to players doubting the coaching staff, and thus doubting their ability to win. Lastly, breaking with my theme here a bit, but also the lacking of a winning mentality has been enhanced by the new coaching staff.

Most importantly, what needs to happen moving forward? How do we improve? The basic answer is simple. We need to improve that killer instinct. The team can have all the potential in the world, but it won't matter if that potential doesn't eventually become production. Morris is in no way responsible for the mentality of the team he inherited. However, the team has regressed under Morris and that is on him. Obviously better talent won't hurt, but there are two things on that. You are never going to be able to have clones of players that are all exactly the same. See Petrino in 2010 vs 2011. Might as well have two completely different offenses despite only having Wilson and DJ instead of Mallett and Davis. You have to be able to adapt to the talent that you have on hand. The second aspect is team respect of the coaching staff. Anybody who thinks these players are trying to sabotage the new coaching staff out of loyalty to the old has a short memory seemingly forgetting that they completely lost all respect for the old staff and gave up on them. It certainly seems though that several of our best players on the team don't seem to have bought in to the new staff, and to their defense, the new staff has struggled to sell anything worth buying, performing worse than Bielema ever did. While younger players that are eager to buy anything are trying, if the coaching staff does not continue to improve, then even the incoming talent will eventually see through the staff and we'll be right back at square one.

In short, if things don't change, our best case scenario is as an Auburn-lite. Only capable of success if the player's skill sets and talent is juuuuust right. The second that Morris doesn't exactly what he needs then the team will suck, but could boom for that one or two seasons where things are just right. Morris has shown improvement, but that's the big downside with having a coach with so little experience. They do have to learn on the job essentially.

Admittedly this post has been fairly doom and gloomy. However, to be fair, this is one of the worst seasons in all of SEC history. Excluding Vandy because they have been truly quite bad, quite often, there have only been 12 other 2 win or fewer seasons in the past 30 years, and 6 of those are Kentucky. That puts us in the bottom 3.333% of seasons, bottom 2% if you also exclude Kentucky). Hell, for Arkansas school history, you have to go back all the way to 1952 to find a 2 win season, and even then, there were fewer games. So, barring some sort of miracle, this year will go down as quite objectively the worst season in the entire history of the program.

However, it doesn't have to be that way. There is still hope to cling on to. Morris is learning to expand his playcalling to match talent. He is bringing in a good recruiting class so far. The red flags are definitely outweighing the green lights at the moment, but there is potential for this to end up being a good hire. However, like players themselves, it's currently just potential and lacking production.

Are you still saying micah smith was "not a reach" and a really good player? How do you feel knowing he was passed by 2 freshman, and will be transfering at the end of the year to a directional school?

You are one long winded joke.

lakecityhog

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2018, 09:20:08 pm »

Good work Benny. I have wondered if maybe Morris got a lot more involved with the play calling after North Texas. It seemed like a noticeable difference in not only the play selection, but also in the sequence of certain plays.

I also agree that the whole offensive staff has been learning on the fly and that is not really a good thing. If Morris gets to where the players have no faith in him as a coach he is truly screwed. Players second guessing the coaches killed BB.

Contrary to what so may think I hope Morris becomes a very successful coach here, that means that the Razorbacks are successful and that is what really matters.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2018, 10:31:43 pm »

Are you still saying micah smith was "not a reach" and a really good player? How do you feel knowing he was passed by 2 freshman, and will be transfering at the end of the year to a directional school?

You are one long winded joke.

How did you feel about Peyton Hillis being passed by two freshmen? Oh yeah, they were two extremely highly rated and extremely highly recruited freshmen. Peyton, Felix, and McFadden were all three higher levels than Smith, Foucha, and Mason for sure.

However, yeah, I maintain that Micah was on par with say somebody like a Michael Smith or a Dennis Johnson. Above average, far from being a reach, capable of being good but not great/elite SEC player. Foucha and Mason had offers to some high level places and were both high 4* players. I'd be surprised if they didn't beat out Micah and probably even disappointed if they didn't. However, compared to the level of safety play we've had for the past 15 or so years, Micah would have been well above average. Just that Bielema recruited a plethora of stud DB's his past two years similar to Petrino recruiting a plethora of DE's before he was fired.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2018, 10:44:16 pm »

Good work Benny. I have wondered if maybe Morris got a lot more involved with the play calling after North Texas. It seemed like a noticeable difference in not only the play selection, but also in the sequence of certain plays.

I also agree that the whole offensive staff has been learning on the fly and that is not really a good thing. If Morris gets to where the players have no faith in him as a coach he is truly screwed. Players second guessing the coaches killed BB.

Contrary to what so may think I hope Morris becomes a very successful coach here, that means that the Razorbacks are successful and that is what really matters.

Yeah, it's been very strange how similar Morris has been to Bielema. Personnel choices have been near identical. Basically said the same things Bielema said at press conferences. Losing early games that we had no reason losing, only to play better later in the season (albeit still losing under Morris). Good recruiting but now the players have regressed even further from where they were last year. Blank look on his face when the team is losing with little to no fire. Playing not to lose and not to win.

At least he's cheaper...

« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2018, 07:17:01 am »

I suppose it could be said that John L started the downfall of the mental side of football at Arkansas.  Bret never, from day one, never improved on that mental aspect, losing his #2 QB just before season one started and constantly making moves that caused losses more than improving the team.  Morris has not improved the attitude of this team and Management has not helped by going from running Nutt to passing Petrino to a coach who believed he was HC at BAMA to one who thought he was very good at running the ball because he won big at Wisconsin to another who believes he is good at running and passing.  But this should not be used as an excuse as many teams change coaches an don't fall on their asses like we have.

I do not agree with Benny on the pretty good talent we have.  We are slow overall.  The few Guys with speed we do have cannot seem to get on the field much and that is odd.  Besides if you do not believe you can do the job, then you cannot do the job and nearly the entire team is failing at attitude.  I tend to blame Bret for the attitude as he was here 5 years stinking up the place.  Bret had a 5 year opportunity and he failed, failed, failed, failed and failed some more.

I see a work ethic in Morris that I never seen in Smile or Bret.  I see efforts to get players that I haven't seen in 40 years.  I see a controlled ego and a fair sense of mind.  I see a cheaper loser than our previous coach.  I believe the future forecast is calling for some sunshine.  I want to believe this staff saw early on the mental problems we had and tried to use more experienced players who might have stroke with the other players.  He was likely correct but he didn't calculate that those players would send the wrong message to the nubbies.  This wrong message syndrome has been around for 7 years now.  Until that is broken, Arkansas will not get much better. 

I also see the offensive failures of the coaching staff.  Poor play choices or right calls at the wrong time.  Players trying to send messages by not playing, just showing up.  Not knowing the talents of each individual to the point of knowing who to play.  In fairness to Morris, I would offer that his choice of starting QB early on likely looked better n practice.  After all he was the only QB with experience on the college field.  He was the current leader of the squad.  He really needed to be the Guy if at all possible.  I believe he likely felt he would be the Guy from day one as did most of the team.  And our mental midgets about football players often decided to assure that their wants were accepted as the company line.  We still are not past that huge problem.  Morris will tell me what he is made of if he can just change the attitude.  I believe that will take nothing short of a purge of many players. 

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2018, 08:41:40 am »

What he did at SMU being a high end accomplishment is easily debatable.

Here's an excellent question, how many internet Hog fans would think he was an awesome hire from SMU had Ole Miss hired him instead of us?
Hed been a better hire for ole miss than us. And im a fan.

31to6

« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2018, 08:48:38 am »

Hed been a better hire for ole miss than us. And im a fan.
OM has better offensive talent than us and it is not even close. Morris would be shocking the SEC there.

We have to give it some time.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2018, 08:50:03 am »

OM has better offensive talent than us and it is not even close. Morris would be shocking the SEC there.

We have to give it some time.
absolutely agree.

« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2018, 09:11:25 am »

Well reasoned insightful and well stated, except fot the two facts missing. Yes there is some talent on this team, unfortunately it does not extend beyond the number ones. We di not have an offensive line for 2/3 of the season and we sorely lack depth there.. Ditto the defense. Did you notice what happened on the very next play after Greenlaw left the game? The other issue is that there is a vast difference between talent and speed. Bert recruited for Big 10 football. It does not work in the SEC. Morris was very clear early on that you either have speed or you are chasing speed. What he was saying was "we don't have speed" We also don't have play makers. As an addendum we started the year w/o a qb

Not only will this take much recruiting but those recruits will need to get built up and get experience before you see what Morris can do.

DoctorSusscrofa

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2018, 11:05:38 am »

If Morris improves his record every year like he did at SMU... Will the whiny bastards dissapear or find a different agenda against Morris?!! ???

There's not anyone else on here.

Swinelake

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2018, 09:44:15 am »

The one thing I'm sure of if he finishes 2-10  and then goes 4-8 next year, there will be two camps.

The Morris Camp saying we got a great coach who double his win total from his first season, expect 8 wins next year.
The anti-Morris Camp saying we got a coach with 20-40 career record, no wonder he only won one SEC game in 2 years.

What if the four wins are the last four of the year? State, LSU, W. Kentucky, & Missouri.

HoggieStyle

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2018, 10:21:44 am »

So, there are no legitimate concerns/complaints, right?

Only whiny bastards?

LoL

OP, you are the master of winning hearts and minds.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2018, 10:30:39 am »

So, there are no legitimate concerns/complaints, right?

Only whiny bastards?

LoL

OP, you are the master of winning hearts and minds.
yep... they staying or going when things turn around?

HogPharmer

« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2018, 10:45:13 am »

The one thing I'm sure of if he finishes 2-10  and then goes 4-8 next year, there will be two camps.

The Morris Camp saying we got a great coach who double his win total from his first season, expect 8 wins next year.
The anti-Morris Camp saying we got a coach with 20-40 career record, no wonder he only won one SEC game in 2 years.

I don't think anyone will be happy with 4 wins next year. Anyone who says that 4 wins next year is awesome is equivalent in idiocy to the same people that want CCM fired right now after only 9 games.

colt07

• Band Nerd
  • It’s not the years, honey. It’s the mileage!
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2018, 11:48:41 am »

Does the 7 win season in 2020 include a win over Notre Dame?

If Hogs are winless in next three games then we need to be 6-6 next year to quiet the noise. Anything less will just ramp up the volume.

If we win one more this year that would be an upset and one we should not have won.  Morris will have some 'money in the bank' and I believe 5-7 next year would be acceptable.

The big year is 2020. If we go to Notre Dame and beat them up there and are 6-6  or 5-7 Morris gets to continue. If we go up there and get blown out by Notre Dame (I remember those Southern California games) and are 5-7 he will be gone.

I do believe if he continues to recruit well he can be successful at Arkansas. Arkansas can be successful in the SEC.

All this is just conjecture because our biggest enemy for the next couple of years will be the injury bug. We are not deep enough to withstand many of his quality recruits getting hurt.

PorkSoda

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2018, 05:12:35 pm »

Ill give him this year.  Next year he has a senior QB or kelly bryant and some stud frosh wrs.  He better win a bowl. No excuses

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2018, 05:20:39 pm »

Ill give him this year.  Next year he has a senior QB or kelly bryant and some stud frosh wrs. He better win a bowl. No excuses

Need to get to a bowl first, Winning a bowl game is feel good fun, but means nothing..

« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2018, 06:08:58 pm »

Ill give him this year.  Next year he has a senior QB or kelly bryant and some stud frosh wrs.  He better win a bowl. No excuses

Thanks for your input here on HV Hunter

doc53

« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2018, 09:28:57 pm »

I am concerned that this crew thinks that Ty is a SEC caliber qb....not a hater,followed Ty throughout his years at Charleston,just think he is a better fit at Tech or UCA

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2018, 10:17:35 pm »

Needs to make a bowl next year, so that means at least 6 wins. From there I would like to see 8-10 wins every year after that.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 10:35:20 pm by mckinneyhog5 »

Idahog

« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2018, 11:53:40 pm »

My fear is that next year is no better than this year.  This place could become unbearable.

This place has been through far worse than multiple bad seasons... The most unbearable was the bickering during the MM saga.

Youngsta71701

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • There's a God somewhere.
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2018, 07:26:43 am »

If Morris improves his record every year like he did at SMU... Will the whiny bastards dissapear or find a different agenda against Morris?!! ???
Nope. We have to win 10 games every year. ;D

Hawg2afault

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2018, 08:27:39 am »

If we win more games than Hunter Uricheck's name is called at the game tonight I'll be happy.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas