• 10,682,189 Posts
• 418,486 Topics
• 24,568 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Improved record..  (Read 3360 times)

#1 STUNNA

Improved record..
« on: October 30, 2018, 10:48:28 am »

If Morris improves his record every year like he did at SMU... Will the whiny bastards dissapear or find a different agenda against Morris?!! ???

Hogmatic

Re: Improved record..
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 11:02:14 am »

The Trolls are going to be Trolls.  This is a FREE message board so some OM and even ASU people I know get on here and try to create dissent.  CCM will bring in the new talent to deal with the real problem- HOLES in the talent on each side of the ball but it is much worse on Offense.  Trolls or negative posters just want to say that we should be much better because of O'Grady, Boyd, and Froholdt.  Guess what , there are 11 players plus backups that are more valuable than ever with HUNH offenses.   Our offense is choked back by weak WRs, a Thin Oline, a moderate talent/inexperienced QB and now we are thin at RB.  O'Grady, Boyd, and Froholdt don't equate to a great offense unless we can clone them to fill the remaining 11 spots on offense. 

The HOLEs on offense mean our QB can't easily find an open WR before the pocket collapsed on him.   If a defense decides to stuff the run and cover O'Grady, then Storey has to check down from the TE or RB to the 3rd option WR.  The problem is that this oline can't hold blocks long enough for the WRs to get open (if the WR is playing hard).  Our WRs are the weak spot on the team and have neutered this offense.  We don't have a good enough OLine or QB to overcome the HOLE created by our WRs.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 11:05:09 am »

The Trolls are going to be Trolls.  This is a FREE message board so some OM and even ASU people I know get on here and try to create dissent.  CCM will bring in the new talent to deal with the real problem- HOLES in the talent on each side of the ball but it is much worse on Offense.  Trolls or negative posters just want to say that we should be much better because of O'Grady, Boyd, and Froholdt.  Guess what , there are 11 players plus backups that are more valuable than ever with HUNH offenses.   Our offense is choked back by weak WRs, a Thin Oline, a moderate talent/inexperienced QB and now we are thin at RB.  O'Grady, Boyd, and Froholdt don't equate to a great offense unless we can clone them to fill the remaining 11 spots on offense. 

The HOLEs on offense mean our QB can't easily find an open WR before the pocket collapsed on him.   If a defense decides to stuff the run and cover O'Grady, then Storey has to check down from the TE or RB to the 3rd option WR.  The problem is that this oline can't hold blocks long enough for the WRs to get open (if the WR is playing hard).  Our WRs are the weak spot on the team and have neutered this offense.  We don't have a good enough OLine or QB to overcome the HOLE created by our WRs.

agreed... our receivers are absolutely attrocious. I think we see improvements similar to what SMU was getting yearly with Morris.

psychhog

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 11:09:34 am »

If Morris improves his record every year like he did at SMU... Will the whiny bastards dissapear or find a different agenda against Morris?!! ???

I sure hope so. If he doesnít improve Iíll be on here saying he was not a good hire for us and will definitely question his HC ability. But for now Iím hopeful and I personally think heíll be able to get it done if heís given time and he continues recruiting like this.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 11:12:19 am »

2-10
5-7
7-5

is that enough to keep people from whining... or does it need to be more drastic earlier?!!! Is that type of improvement enough to keep his job?

Hogwild

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 11:33:55 am »

2-10
5-7
7-5

is that enough to keep people from whining... or does it need to be more drastic earlier?!!! Is that type of improvement enough to keep his job?

The one thing I'm sure of if he finishes 2-10  and then goes 4-8 next year, there will be two camps.

The Morris Camp saying we got a great coach who double his win total from his first season, expect 8 wins next year.
The anti-Morris Camp saying we got a coach with 20-40 career record, no wonder he only won one SEC game in 2 years.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 11:37:10 am »

The one thing I'm sure of if he finishes 2-10  and then goes 4-8 next year, there will be two camps.

The Morris Camp saying we got a great coach who double his win total from his first season, expect 8 wins next year.
The anti-Morris Camp saying we got a coach with 20-40 career record, no wonder he only won one SEC game in 2 years.
In your opinion what will it take to get both camps happy? will what he did every year at SMU keep everyone happy? or will that still not be enough for the blind?

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 11:38:15 am »

Great post.  I think winning so few games this season will be better in the long run for Morris.  If he wins a game or two more next season he can show improvement.  The jump from 2 to 5 wins is a whole lot easier than 7-9 wins.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 11:42:09 am »

Great post.  I think winning so few games this season will be better in the long run for Morris.  If he wins a game or two more next season he can show improvement.  The jump from 2 to 5 wins is a whole lot easier than 7-9 wins.

That's probably true.  I expect 7-9 wins in year three.  any less than that and I'm gonna be disappointed big time and will begin to question his ability. 

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 11:43:01 am »

That's probably true.  I expect 7-9 wins in year three.  any less than that and I'm gonna be disappointed big time and will begin to question his ability. 
so you would be happy with what he did at SMU?

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 11:43:49 am »

so basically youd be happy with what he did at SMU?

Difficult to answer that without seeing exactly HOW it unfolds. 

Bacons Rebellion

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 12:02:41 pm »

Actually, no, because I would be unhappy with SMU's defense and pretty well convinced that we're not going to make it over the hump without a defense

With simply the win total and pattern, probably. I'm not sure I would have said that before this season, but I did not realize how bad a mental shape we were in.

ifghog

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 12:06:13 pm »

2-10
5-7
7-5

From where BB left us I will take that progression

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 12:12:02 pm »

Actually, no, because I would be unhappy with SMU's defense and pretty well convinced that we're not going to make it over the hump without a defense

With simply the win total and pattern, probably. I'm not sure I would have said that before this season, but I did not realize how bad a mental shape we were in.
you wouldnt be happy with improving every year? Have you seen the defensive recruits he is bringign in? pretty sure he knows you have to have studs on the defensive side of the ball.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 12:37:20 pm »

you wouldnt be happy with improving every year? Have you seen the defensive recruits he is bringign in? pretty sure he knows you have to have studs on the defensive side of the ball.

Its impossible to say that, though.  if in year three we win 7 of 9 and then tank the rest of the season, I would certainly have questions.  Its just gonna take time and patience to know about our coach.  I LOVE his recruiting and I'm very hopeful but just like I'm not ready to call him a loser or bad hire, I'm not sure what I will think in three years. 

Ironhawg

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 12:45:29 pm »

2-10
5-7
7-5

My fear is that next year is no better than this year.  This place could become unbearable.

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 12:49:03 pm »

My fear is that next year is no better than this year.  This place could become unbearable.
A bigger fear is what RRS will become.

Ironhawg

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 12:49:37 pm »

You are exactly right.

BassinHawg

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 12:54:06 pm »

Define "Improves". It's not going to take much to improve the way he is going right now. You talking 1 win, 2 wins, 4 wins or 6 wins in say 3 years?

OkieBack

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2018, 01:00:29 pm »

2-10
5-7
7-5

I think this is the most realistic progression that may happen.  Obviously the sooner the wins the better, but IF folks understand how banged up this program was when Bielema left town then it should be a no-brainer to figure out Year #3 is where we should see us back on track a bit. 

Petrino was 5-7 year #1 and 8-5 year #2 but there is really not much comparison.  The culture and the recruiting was in far better shape in 2008.  I think this year is the throw away year in that so much effort was spent reversing player attitudes.  We really have gone from a team with a defeatist attitude to a team that tries for 4 quarters, all in one season.  I can't say the team attitude change is 100% yet, but it will get there. 

Bacons Rebellion

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2018, 01:05:00 pm »

Well, I won't be very happy IF we are winning games 55-52 and losing 65-21. Though the games would be fun. As I said, I would be thinking, in that case, that we had hit our ceiling.

I THINK our defense ill be okay. I like our defensive recruiting. But I THOUGHT Bielema would have good offensive lines --  he believed we needed studs there, too. So I don't always trust my expectations.

I'm fine with Morris so far. Just answering your question.

wildturkey8

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2018, 01:07:05 pm »

They way we started in 2015 was a huge red flag.  Then again, 2013-14 were or should have been red flags as well.

jgphillips3

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2018, 01:11:23 pm »

I think we are still going to steal one from Missouri or MSU to go 3-9 this year.  However, next year, after looking at the schedule, I can see 5 wins or maybe 6 with what we know is coming in/coming back.  If we could add KB as a grad transfer, he could potentially add 2 more wins to the total.  In 2020, if we keep recruiting at this pace, we should be a solid, competitive 8 to 9 win type team.  After that, the sky is the limit.  Recruiting will tell the tale.  I would be fine with 6 wins next year and 7-9 wins the next.  We just canít have another losing season.  Thatís probably too much for fans to bear.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2018, 01:12:18 pm »

Define "Improves". It's not going to take much to improve the way he is going right now. You talking 1 win, 2 wins, 4 wins or 6 wins in say 3 years?
2-3+ wins every year like he did at SMU.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2018, 01:50:11 pm »

2-3+ wins every year like he did at SMU.
Morris should have had 4-5 wins this year.  No excuse for CSU, N Tex St and Vandy.  So he needs to win at least 6 if not 7 next year.  That means 2 or 3 conference games and all the Non-cons.

@ Ole Miss
@ Kentucky
vs. A&M
vs Auburn
@ Bama
vs Miss St
@ LSU
vs Mizzu

Dan42AR

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2018, 01:38:08 am »

I for one will never be happy with a losing season. But if you can see a positive progression then maybe you will have a good reason to be optimistic about the direction the team is going. Living with the growing pains and liking them are two different things.

LZH

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2018, 04:25:06 am »

We should be sitting at 4-5 right now. One could argue the A&M and Vandy games, that we should have won at least one of those. But no way should we have lost the CSU and Ole Miss games, no way. I fully admit to expecting 5-6-7 wins this year, but that's done and I was wrong.

Btw, UNT would have beaten us regardless of who we had at QB. They were just better than us. I know poor ol' Kelley had a horrible day, but it was Morris that kept trotting him back out there to keep throwing it to the wrong team.

Some people say that Noland or one of the other underclassmen should play the rest of the games. Actually, with the bye week coming, it would not shock me if we have seen Storey for the last time. But that's only if he isn't the one who gives us the best chance of winning. And I'll say that about the rest of the positions. Morris and the team don't want to go 0-fer in conference play. No one does. We're still trying to win games, here.

Now I'm not talking about goldbrickers or quitters, or guys who are just playing half-assed. Whoever they may be, their time on the field should be over. I'm talking about playing guys who really want to play, and play hard for four quarters. No need imo to play a freshman over a senior just "to get him some experience ". If he's earned a start, or more snaps, then yeah, I agree. But you want your best (and hungriest) eleven out there.

So having said all that, I would be very disappointed if we aren't fighting for bowl eligibility 365 days from now. That would likely mean that we would have won the games we were supposed to, and hopefully not given any more away. And I, too, believe KB would be worth one, maybe two wins next year.

Even as bad as we have looked for most of this season, we should not be finishing any worse than 4-8...probably 5-7. So I could not consider anything less (or equal to) than that next year to be 'progress'.

gmarv

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2018, 06:37:33 am »

We are looking up from the bottom of the hole that has been dug.From where I sit we have stopped digging now comes the slow crawl out of it.If our coaches keep learning and recruiting as hard as they are and stack another really good class on top of this one.Then I feel like year 3 will decide how good CCM is.

Hogmatic

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2018, 10:58:03 am »

We should be sitting at 4-5 right now. One could argue the A&M and Vandy games, that we should have won at least one of those. But no way should we have lost the CSU and Ole Miss games, no way. I fully admit to expecting 5-6-7 wins this year, but that's done and I was wrong.

Btw, UNT would have beaten us regardless of who we had at QB. They were just better than us. I know poor ol' Kelley had a horrible day, but it was Morris that kept trotting him back out there to keep throwing it to the wrong team.

Some people say that Noland or one of the other underclassmen should play the rest of the games. Actually, with the bye week coming, it would not shock me if we have seen Storey for the last time. But that's only if he isn't the one who gives us the best chance of winning. And I'll say that about the rest of the positions. Morris and the team don't want to go 0-fer in conference play. No one does. We're still trying to win games, here.

Now I'm not talking about goldbrickers or quitters, or guys who are just playing half-assed. Whoever they may be, their time on the field should be over. I'm talking about playing guys who really want to play, and play hard for four quarters. No need imo to play a freshman over a senior just "to get him some experience ". If he's earned a start, or more snaps, then yeah, I agree. But you want your best (and hungriest) eleven out there.

So having said all that, I would be very disappointed if we aren't fighting for bowl eligibility 365 days from now. That would likely mean that we would have won the games we were supposed to, and hopefully not given any more away. And I, too, believe KB would be worth one, maybe two wins next year.

Even as bad as we have looked for most of this season, we should not be finishing any worse than 4-8...probably 5-7. So I could not consider anything less (or equal to) than that next year to be 'progress'.

IMO the lack of buy-in plus the lack of talent in some areas is very damaging.  We may be better than expected if the team cleans house of malcontents, everyone buys-in, and we get the committed talent infusions to fill in the talent gaps.  I'm telling ya that the WRs are killing this offense and team so the new WR commitments will correct a massive issue.  The Oline has made an impressive change so I'm not worried about them anymore.

Leadbelly

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2018, 11:01:21 am »

2-10
5-7
7-5

Yes, it would be. For me anyway. The past two Hog Head Coaches dug this hole over a seven year period, so if we could win 7 in year 3, CCM should be coach of the century.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2018, 05:16:52 pm »

No, they'll come out in full force whining that 7 wins in year 3 is good enough for Arkansas and that Morris is as good a coach as we can get.

However, if Morris improves the record here like he did at SMU, fans who want the best for the program are going to be less and less in favor of Morris. Especially when we have more players go to the NFL ver multiple seasons than we have actual victories, people will see that talent wasn't as bad as they thought.

Hogbit

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2018, 05:46:40 pm »

2-10
5-7
7-5

No, that will not cut it in year 3.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2018, 05:53:20 pm »

If we win 7 regular season games in year 3 given how bad we are in year 1, then I'd say that's pretty good. 

lakecityhog

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2018, 06:12:00 pm »

Benny, good to hear from you again. I would like to hear your take on the season from both sides of the fence, what has been good and what has been bad.

Bacons Rebellion

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2018, 06:39:01 pm »

Does the 7 win season in 2020 include a win over Notre Dame?

swineology

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2018, 06:44:08 pm »

Chad needs a legit QB, ain't happening here, fired in year 4

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2018, 06:49:09 pm »

He'll need more than 1.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2018, 07:11:55 pm »

The jury is still out on this one and it is way too early to make that prediction.

jkstock04

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2018, 07:37:20 pm »

In your opinion what will it take to get both camps happy? will what he did every year at SMU keep everyone happy? or will that still not be enough for the blind?
What he did at SMU being a high end accomplishment is easily debatable.

Here's an excellent question, how many internet Hog fans would think he was an awesome hire from SMU had Ole Miss hired him instead of us?

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2018, 07:51:26 pm »

The jury is still out on this one and it is way too early to make that prediction.

Itís never too early to make a prediction. 

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2018, 07:53:25 pm »

What he did at SMU being a high end accomplishment is easily debatable.

Here's an excellent question, how many internet Hog fans would think he was an awesome hire from SMU had Ole Miss hired him instead of us?

We would have laughed at OM.  Heck, people around here were up in arms when his name started to surface as a real possibility for us.  He wasnít even on anyoneís wish list. 

Sivad

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2018, 08:08:18 pm »

We would have laughed at OM.  Heck, people around here were up in arms when his name started to surface as a real possibility for us.  He wasnít even on anyoneís wish list. 
And he certainly isnít now.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2018, 08:13:35 pm »

And he certainly isnít now.

Give it a break. You don't have to drop a negative post anytime this question is raised. I don't know if he is going to be a success here or not but he has two things going for him right now, 1) he did a great job as an OC at Clemson and 2) his recruiting so far is better than what we have seen from anyone else since JFB. Whether or not he can close that out remains to be seen but he is certainly further ahead than anyone else has been in a long time. Let's see how this plays out.

southarkhog06

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2018, 08:17:27 pm »

I am not a cbp as apologist by any means, but you will prolly hear the same things about Morris that you heard about ole Bobby. "Burks and Knox fell into his lap" etc.

3kgthog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Don't PM me. I never read them.
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2018, 08:47:42 pm »

The administration will be partly to blame for next seasonís empty seats. Just look at that schedule and the prices they expect people to pay for it.

You wouldnít pay Hollywood blockbuster prices for a silent film would you?

31to6

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2018, 09:33:27 pm »

They will go into hiding after wins only to magically reappear in strength every time the team loses.

Bebop

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2018, 10:39:43 pm »

It's not hard to improve on a 2-10 record (assuming we lose out). I'm not impressed with Morris and don't think he will be able to get it done at Arkansas, regardless of talent. I think we could have probably gotta someone better than Morris. I hope he proves me wrong.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2018, 10:42:47 pm »

Go win a game we arenít suppose to.  Thatís gotta he done next year.  Doesnít have to be bama either.  And go win the games we are suppose to.  Iíd love to be competitive in another game we are t suppose to be in.

popcornhog

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2018, 10:46:01 pm »

Some people will complain about anything shy of 15-0 and an NC.

If we get to about 4-8 or 5-7 next year with a second straight quality recruiting class on the way, most reasonable people have an increased sense of hope.

If the improvement is to 3-9 or 4-8 without a conference win and we donít have another good class, Iím not sure there will be a lot of reason for optimism.

hogsmash12

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2018, 11:10:43 pm »

I shudder at the thought
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas