General Sports Discussion > NBA Board

2018-2019 NBA Prediction Thread!

Pages: (1/1)

ErieHog:

Hi folks,

Most years I remember to get into the prediction business for the NBA.  I love seeing what I think at the beginning of the year, versus what turns out,  where and when my thinking on a thing turns on a dime, and  what big things I'm missing.

So, without further ado, a few thoughts on teams.

Eastern Conference:

Atlantic Division

Boston Celtics:   My pick to come out of the East, they're going to have to juggle lineups early.  The ability to run two or three dynamic wings at people,  consistent defensive effort, and the best in-game coaching in the league right now will travel wherever they go.  This is as deep a team as there is in the league, and its top end talent is also right there for the 2nd or 3rd spot.   They'll fall to the Warriors in 5, though,  in the NBA Finals.  61-21 Record

Brooklyn Nets:  For better or for worse, this is the make or break season for D'Angelo Russell in my mind.  This is his team.  Joe Harris is a nice piece, and you can kind of see where they might build, but they're just not an attractive FA destination to my mind.   If Dudley gets hurt, this team is back at square one when it comes to floor spacing, unless Harris carries a much bigger burden.    30-52 Record

New York Knicks:  This is a team that I just don't understand.    The upside: they no longer do spectacularly dumb things.  Now, they just do incredibly confusing things;  they are incredibly young (good);  they bring in a boatload of formerly lottery picks (confusing);  they have strange rotations at times, and seem to either not care that Porzingas is what makes them go,   or believe that if you bring in enough moving parts, eventually an NBA rotation will shake out of it.    I think they're better talent wise, and Porz is healthy--  this is a team that did start out 17-14 to start last year.    I still don't like them,  but I'll peg them at one of the league's least watchable, a 28-54 team

Philadelphia 76ers:  Great top end talent.  I don't love what they've done with their bench.   I do love Simmon's development the last half of last year--  he's a problem for anyone they play.    I really dislike the loss of bench shooting, especially as Fultz is a complete wild card as a shooter.  Still, Simmons is great, and Embiid, when healthy, is an absolute beast.   If he stays healthy, they win a little more despite their bench issues.  If he doesn't, they could almost fall out of the playoff conversation  57-25 record.  They'll disappoint in the playoffs, when teams will continue to kill them until Fultz learns to shoot.

Toronto Raptors:  Somehow, all of the three best teams in the Eastern Conference reside in the Atlantic Division.   This means some pretty great regular season basketball will be played, but that someone is going to underperform record-wise.   I love Leonard and Lowry as a pairing, but this front court has some issues that I think are going to limit their ceiling more than most anticipate.  Throw in learning to play together on the fly, and Serge Ibaka as an aging centerpiece of the front court, and I'm not as bullish as most on the Raptors.  Still one of the top 4 or 5 places to play a home game in the NBA right now, though.  I'll peg them at only 51-31, with minor injuries to their stars or major injuries to their front court keeping this number artificially down.   I like them to make the Conference finals and lose in 7 games to the Celtics, though.

Central Division

Chicago Bulls:    I'm not crazy about the Jabari Parker pick up.   Bobby has to figure out what he is in the NBA still.   I don't view Dunn as a true top half of the league PG, and while I enjoy Lavine, he's not worth the money he wants.  He's a great second unit guy- not a feature player on a contender.     They're such an amalgamation of okay to pretty decent parts, that just doesn't work as a team.   The East isn't deep, so they'll likely be less awful than I think, but not as good as others do.   26-56 Record

Cleveland Cavaliers:  This team isn't going to be as awful as you'd think.  Kevin Love is a bit older, but is a legitimate second tier type guy, when the offense is built around him.  He has to stay healthy, though, for this team not to fall apart.   I think they'll flirt with early playoff contention, but fade the last couple of weeks.  They have more useful parts than you think, that'll step out from under Lebron's shadow a little.  36-46 in one of my true 'people are sleeping on them' teams.   If they struggle, it will be because Sexton has a rough adjustment season to becoming an NBA lead guard.

Detroit Pistons:  Another team like the Bulls, that just isn't worth watching.   Blake is a health nightmare, but can still be highly productive when healthy.  Drummond deserves kudos like few other NBA players, for actually addressing a true weakness in his game.  Its not good yet-- its still bad--  but its not ruinously crippling anymore, to see him go to the line.  I hope it holds up.    There will be more than a few nights where they roll out with 2 of the 3 best players on the court against the bottom half of the league-- but still lose or struggle to put those teams away.   I think they underachieve predictors, and only get to about 36-46.   If Blake stays healthy, maybe they creep up a smidge, but are you willing to bet heavily on that?

Indiana Pacers:  These guys just play hard all the time.   They rotate on defense-- not superb defenders, but just doing their darned jobs, and lo and behold, it still works at a professional level.   Sabonis is growing as a professional player, and I just like to watch these guys play.    A ton of people are picking them for serious regression.   They played last year largely without their best big, so I don't view his loss as crippling.   I think they hold at near last year's level, going 47-35 and losing a respectable playoff series.

Milwaukee Bucks:   Another Eastern Conference team I'm a smidge bullish on;  they did what you need to do with Giannis-  add shooting, shooting, and more shooting around him.    Yeah, there are going to be defensive issues.    I like them better as a playoff problem than as a regular season monster, and they could topple one of the East's Big 3 in a series.   48-34 for the Bucks

Southeast Division:

Atlanta Hawks:     Ya gotta be nice at this point of the year.  I want to see how they play Vince Carter.  I'm fascinated by the idea of Trey Young as an NBA player.   This is going to be a really bad team, though.   I think the projections that have them as high as 28 wins are just too sunny.   They're not as terrible  the 24 win team of last year, but a lot of the middle to lower class of the East has made some strides.    I pick them to essentially repeat last year, 25-57 -- but not a fun watch at all.

Charlotte Hornets:  I really hope the basketball documentary Jordan is working on, is good, eventually.   This basketball team?  Not so much.    Its so odd to see Tony Parker in a non-Spurs jersey.  It may be one of the most jarring things you'll see all year, without a moment of basketball actually attached to it. Some people pick them to win almost 40, but ugh.   I just can't.  37-45.

Miami Heat  :  Not an untalented team, but they do need a shakeup.   This is really where Jimmy Butler needs to land, but its probably not going to happen right away.     They're too talented to be at the bottom of the Eastern Conference.  43-39, but an unenthusiastic winning record, to me.

Orlando Magic:    I just don't like their roster composition.  I guess they're still professional players, and Vucevic will always be one of my favorite  'that guy' players in the league, but I just don't see them being anything other than treading water.  Another 30-52 type season feels right.

Washington Wizards  :  I just don't see them as making any progress in the East.  The bottom's better, the top is probably better,  and I think the Wizards are largely the same.   They'll bore their way to another 46-36 year, and a first round playoff exit.

Post Season: 

Celtics (61-21) over Charlotte (37-45) in 4
76ers ( 57-25) over Heat (43-39) in 5
Raptors (51-31) over Wizards (46-36) in 5 
Bucks (48-34) over Pacers (47-35) in 6

Celtics over Bucks in 6
Raptors over 76ers in 7

Celtics over Raptors in 6

Western Conference

Pacific Division

Golden State Warriors  The best team that can roll out the best crunch time lineup.  This may be the beginning of the end of the Warriors as a dominant dominant team, but it will be economics and health that end their reign, not talent. 62-20 and another NBA title in the offing for the Warriors.

Los Angeles Clippers :  Very strong contenders for the love/hate/love/hate team of the year.   Their roster is mediocre to bad by Western Conference standards, but they have some real brass balls type players.   I think they scrape their way to 36-46 as a pesky team.

Los Angeles Lakers:   LeBron's new digs have plenty of issues, but the old man keeps dragging bad teams to good finishes.  I think they struggle to get to 50 wins, but are a pain in the butt by the end of the year.    Ingram's development is probably the ceiling for this team,  and while I like him as a player, I still think he's a couple of years from being a borderline All-Star.  49-33 for the Lake Show, and a good post season showing.

Phoenix Suns Ayton will be fun to watch.  They've got a lot of pretty good parts, but always feel like less than the sum of them when you see them play.   A fun team to watch in high scoring, low consequence basketball games, I figure they'll finish in that 28-54 range.

Sacramento Kings  They have cap room?   I like them more than most do, even if they are still carrying the corpse of Zach Randolph on that roster.   I think they blow the lid off of expectations, and win *25* games!   That's right- you heard it here first. 25-57.  Break up the Kings!

Southwest Division

Dallas Mavericks:  Maybe I like this roster more 4 years ago.    Now, I  just see a lot of aging, less than ideal guys who aren't going to put fear into anyone.  I think that the people picking them to win 28 are hoping that the middle class of the Western Conference regresses enough for them to steal wins.   I'm going to shade a tiny bit lower, and peg them as a 27-55 team.

Houston Rockets:  One of my prime candidates for a serious regression, the Rockets.  I don't like how they chose to replace Ariza,  and Chris Paul is a year older.   You still can't count on Harden when it counts.   I think they fall almost 10 games in the win column, all the way back to 57-25.   They have another playoff choke job and their contender window closes hard.

Memphis Grizzlies Marc Gasol and Conley are going to have to carry this roster for the Nth year in a row.   Yeah, they're two well above average players, but this is pushing a half decade of them not having much in the way of serious help.     Health will matter a lot for the Grizzlies, but I just don't see them as a decent team able to sustain anything this year.   Unless Chandler Parsons returns as something other than a medical mystery, there is no way that they can drag this corpse of a franchise into the playoff picture.   34-58 sounds right.

New Orleans Pelicans:  It strikes me as so odd, to see a Top 3 player on a team that struggles so mightily to aspire to mediocrity.  I think they're going to feel the loss of a veteran presence like Rondo more than numbers suggest they aught;  I don't think they did much more than catch momentary lightning in a bottle when they beat the Blazers.   The Pellies will be about what they were.  45-37--  another year of Prime Anthony Davis wasted.

San Antonio Spurs  The least Spurs-ian team that has ever Spurs'd under Pop.     There is so much not to like about this roster-- I mean, you are looking at Rudy Gay as a serious glue guy?   I like Murray, but with him out with the knee, I can see them getting out to a very slow start,  and never shaking it off.   I think they make a run at .500 basketball, but fall just short, at 40-42.

Northwest

Denver Nuggets  One of my Jeckyl-Hyde teams;  its pretty impossible to say how the injections of IT and Porter might change their dynamics.    Unsurprisingly, Porter is starting out the year unhealthy.  Maybe they just stick to last year's identity and grow.  Hardest team for me to pick right now.  I'll go 48-34

Minnesota Timberwolves   A team with deep, deep issues, but a ton of talent.  Wiggins and KAT continue to grow, which is great news for their prospects.  The bad news is, the guy who is the crunch time star, Butler, is begging his way out of town.  The upside is that Jimmy missed a quarter of last year, so its not like they've never played without him.    They still won 47 games.    I think that he is gone before the season gets too far gone, and they end up dropping back pretty seriously, to a 35-47 type team.

Oklahoma City Thunder  Paul George returns to the OKC?   Still a very solid two way guy-- and I really think dropping Melo will be a long term help, not just from a financial standpoint.  Still, this team will go as far as Russ' legs carry them.   He's got to start showing some wear soon,  so I think they tread water with another 48-34 season.

Portland Trail Blazers:  Last season's playoff run should have been a stark warning to the Blazers, that they need to change how they play the game.  All the noises out of Portland seem to be in that vein, but we really need to see those changes on the actual basketball floor to know.  Roster wise, they haven't done anything to fall in love with yet;  they have the limitations of the contracts for their Big 3,  but they're going to have to find a way to change identities with the complementary pieces around them. 40-42 as they work through issues.

Utah Jazz  The second major regression candidate;  this is a team that caught fire on the back of unsustainable shooting numbers-- and when that shooting regresses to the mean, they're not going to be able to play 2 non shooters on the court at the same time.  The Jazz you saw for 50 games, is a lot more like what you'll see than the Jazz of the last 30.  They fall back to 45-37, and are a quiet playoff sweep candidate.

Playoffs:
Warriors (62-20) over Trailblazers in a sweep
Rockets (57-35) over Pelicans (45-37) in 6
Lakers (49-33) over Jazz (45-37) in a sweep
Thunder (48-34 over Nuggets (48-34)  in 7

Championship:
Warriors over Celtics in 5

HiggiePiggy:

Iím going to just say Lakers vs Celtics. 

alohawg:

Rockets over Celtics in 7 for the title.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 16, 2018, 09:48:38 pm ---Iím going to just say Lakers vs Celtics. 

--- End quote ---

Out of curiosity, why do you seek the Lakers getting by the Warriors?

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: alohawg on October 17, 2018, 02:02:50 am ---Rockets over Celtics in 7 for the title.

--- End quote ---

Are the Rockets truly better?   Is Cousins somehow going to make the Warriors worse?     I'm always curious as to the thinking people have for these things.

alohawg:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on October 17, 2018, 01:24:52 pm ---Are the Rockets truly better?   Is Cousins somehow going to make the Warriors worse?     I'm always curious as to the thinking people have for these things.

--- End quote ---

The Rockets were close and really good enough if not for Harden being awful much of that series. Are they better with Carmelo? If so, they could be there again. Plus Chris Paul staying healthy in the playoffs would help a lot.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: alohawg on October 17, 2018, 02:44:29 pm ---The Rockets were close and really good enough if not for Harden being awful much of that series. Are they better with Carmelo? If so, they could be there again. Plus Chris Paul staying healthy in the playoffs would help a lot.

--- End quote ---

Carmelo is such a huge negative to me, as is the replacement of Ariza.  I just saw today where Melo has already been relegated to the bench. 

311Hog:

watching the Pelican'ts thump them on their home floor brought great joy for me.   Same for the west coast brick show i mean the new Lake show.

alohawg:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on October 17, 2018, 06:39:24 pm ---Carmelo is such a huge negative to me, as is the replacement of Ariza.  I just saw today where Melo has already been relegated to the bench. 

--- End quote ---

Tbh, not a Carmelo fan myself. Ariza I've liked back when he was a Laker. Guess we'll see how it all pans out soon enough.

HiggiePiggy:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on October 17, 2018, 01:24:09 pm ---Out of curiosity, why do you seek the Lakers getting by the Warriors?

--- End quote ---

He has been in the championship game for the last 8 years now? I think he finds a way to pull off the biggest upset and gets into the championship game again in his first year. 

HiggiePiggy:

Carmelo Anthony? If so then they arenít going far.  He is a me me guy and cancer to teams. 

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 19, 2018, 05:49:03 pm --- He has been in the championship game for the last 8 years now? I think he finds a way to pull off the biggest upset and gets into the championship game again in his first year. 

--- End quote ---

He's going to have a hard enough time dragging that collection of Lakers into a Top 4 playoff seeding in the West, that I just don't see them overcoming an even better edition of the Warriors to get there.

Wisco Pig:

Terrific overview, Erie.   Thanks.

Oliver:

--- Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 19, 2018, 05:49:03 pm --- He has been in the championship game for the last 8 years now? I think he finds a way to pull off the biggest upset and gets into the championship game again in his first year. 

--- End quote ---

As long as Luke Walton is the Lakers coach, they arenít going anywhere

247Hog:

This is going to sound like im just trolling but im not. I haven't payed alot of attention to the NBA in years until now. Every day i see some drama on the ticker with NBA players not liking this person or that person. Don't wanna play because they don't like the coach or teammate. I've seen more headlines about drama than plays. Has it always been this bad and i just didn't see it?

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: 247Hog on January 17, 2019, 03:15:30 pm ---This is going to sound like im just trolling but im not. I haven't payed alot of attention to the NBA in years until now. Every day i see some drama on the ticker with NBA players not liking this person or that person. Don't wanna play because they don't like the coach or teammate. I've seen more headlines about drama than plays. Has it always been this bad and i just didn't see it?

--- End quote ---

Its pretty much been constantly this, although it used to be with coaches more than players. 

EastexHawg:

Can someone explain why Steph Curry is seldom mentioned in the MVP conversation?  He's second in the league in scoring.  If I'm not mistaken he is the only guard within the top 20 in the league in effective field goal percentage, and despite the notion that the Warriors are a great team whether he is in the lineup or not, they struggled without him.

How many other times has the best player on the best team been such an afterthought?  The narrative is, "Well, yeah, he is the greatest shooter in history and he regularly takes over games (like last night, and like a couple of nights before against the Mavericks), but...but..."

Actually I can't finish that sentence because I don't understand how it works.

311Hog:

--- Quote from: EastexHawg on January 17, 2019, 09:43:47 pm ---Can someone explain why Steph Curry is seldom mentioned in the MVP conversation?  He's second in the league in scoring.  If I'm not mistaken he is the only guard within the top 20 in the league in effective field goal percentage, and despite the notion that the Warriors are a great team whether he is in the lineup or not, they struggled without him.

How many other times has the best player on the best team been such an afterthought?  The narrative is, "Well, yeah, he is the greatest shooter in history and he regularly takes over games (like last night, and like a couple of nights before against the Mavericks), but...but..."

--- End quote ---

i agree my only thought is because he is a 2 time winner and a i believe the only "unanimous" winner of the MVP and thus he cannot " win it" anymore kind of like Lebron already won it enough even though he clear carries his team.

Other nite vs  NO was insane by Steph i love watching that kid play.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: EastexHawg on January 17, 2019, 09:43:47 pm ---Can someone explain why Steph Curry is seldom mentioned in the MVP conversation?  He's second in the league in scoring.  If I'm not mistaken he is the only guard within the top 20 in the league in effective field goal percentage, and despite the notion that the Warriors are a great team whether he is in the lineup or not, they struggled without him.

--- End quote ---

I don't know why you'd think he's rarely mentioned.    He's usually the 2nd or 3rd candidate named.

EastexHawg:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on January 18, 2019, 09:00:30 pm ---I don't know why you'd think he's rarely mentioned.    He's usually the 2nd or 3rd candidate named.

--- End quote ---

I was watching an ESPN roundtable a few nights ago and he wasn't one of the candidates mentioned.

Giannis
Harden
LeBron
Leonard

Curry spreads defenses thin unlike any player in the league.  His value isn't just in his own scoring, which is of course outstanding, but what his presence creates for others. 

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: EastexHawg on January 18, 2019, 09:44:44 pm ---I was watching an ESPN roundtable a few nights ago and he wasn't one of the candidates mentioned.

Giannis
Harden
LeBron
Leonard

Curry spreads defenses thin unlike any player in the league.  His value isn't just in his own scoring, which is of course outstanding, but what his presence creates for others. 

--- End quote ---

Woof.  There's the problem.  Watching Skip, or The Jump, or the like is like hitting yourself in the balls with a spiked mace, when it comes to basketball.

1highhog:

Quick question guys, has Dallas already sent Macon back down?

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: 1highhog on January 25, 2019, 09:52:33 pm ---Quick question guys, has Dallas already sent Macon back down?

--- End quote ---

This is a 'No, but..' answer.

He's played 3 minutes in January, and is still on his two way deal.   Depending on how the Mavs plan to position themselves at the trade deadline, maybe he sees a few more minutes to go along with a ton of DNPs or gets sent back down;  if they go totally in the tank,  and trade a guard, maybe he sees a few more minutes.

I'd say its 50-50 he finishes the year with the Mavs.  They're 4.5 out of the last playoff spot with 11 teams ahead of them fighting for those 8 spots.     They're not in optimal tank position, but they are short of assets unless they trade Dennis Smith Jr. -- but there isn't a ton of flexibility out there left for buyers who aren't the Kings.

ErieHog:

Revisiting this a little.   The Celtics crapped out on me, and the Raptors took care of the upswinging Bucks.

Should be a good finals, but I still expect a Warriors victory.

EastexHawg:

Giannis has been the consensus choice for MVP.  He will win the award, but I wonder if what we have seen in the playoffs might affect judgements going forward about value of respective players.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: EastexHawg on May 25, 2019, 11:41:38 pm ---Giannis has been the consensus choice for MVP.  He will win the award, but I wonder if what we have seen in the playoffs might affect judgements going forward about value of respective players.

--- End quote ---

Probably not much.    Milwaukee tried to surround him with parts and a plan, and it worked reasonably well.   This is often the kind of thing that spurs the best on to completely rounding out their game.    They're going to have to prioritize in free agency, and figure out what else they can bring in at a lower cost, to make it work.

It'll be excellent viewing, to be sure.

1highhog:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on May 25, 2019, 10:28:43 pm ---Revisiting this a little.   The Celtics crapped out on me, and the Raptors took care of the upswinging Bucks.

Should be a good finals, but I still expect a Warriors victory.

--- End quote ---

As long as Durant sits out, I think the Warrior's will make a quick 4-0 run through the finals.  If he plays, I can see the Raptors winning one game.

husker71:

3 weeks ago KD was being called the best player in basketball.  2 weeks ago Giannis was being called the best player in basketball.  This week Kawhi is being called the best player in basketball. 

husker71:

Ben Simmons averaged taking 0.1 3 pointers per game over 2 seasons (a 2 year total of 17)  and has never made a 3 point shot in his NBA career.  He makes 58 % of his free throws.  I think that is a big problem in the 76ers future.

EastexHawg:

--- Quote from: husker71 on May 29, 2019, 07:16:24 am ---3 weeks ago KD was being called the best player in basketball.  2 weeks ago Giannis was being called the best player in basketball.  This week Kawhi is being called the best player in basketball. 

--- End quote ---

I heard Max Kellerman arguing with Stephen A. Smith the other day that while he expects Steph Curry to win the Finals MVP the best player on the Warriors is Draymond Green.  I know he is a talking head who thinks it's his job to make bombastic and idiotic statements, but this might be even dumber than usual for him.

For some reason there is a reluctance...no, make that a determination not to...to acknowledge Steph Curry and that he might be the most important player in the NBA.  The Warriors won a title one year and 73 games the next without Durant, but as soon as Durant got to Oakland he was acknowledged at the best player on the Warriors.  He is almost without question the greatest scorer in the league, which should at least be debatable considering Curry played on the same team with him and outscored him during the regular season...with a higher effective FG percentage, which he has held over Durant throughout both of their careers.

Then the playoffs started and Durant was "dominating" the postseason with his 34.2 ppg average.  Since he went down Curry took over the 4th quarter of game 5 against Houston to pull off a come from behind win, scored 33 in the second half and 23 in the 4th quarter to end the series on the road in game 6 against the Rockets, and averaged 36.5 per game in a sweep of Portland. 

And yet...who is screaming from the rooftops that Curry is the greatest scorer and most dominant player in the game?  36.5 isn't good enough for that, but 34.2 is freaking awesome.

Yes, Giannis is/was the best player in basketball but couldn't even get out of his conference.  Curry has been to five straight Finals.  Now Kawhi is the best player in the game.  How many years did he fail to get out of the West with San Antonio when the Warriors and Curry stood in their way?

I don't know what the deal is with Curry and at least some of the media.  Maybe he's too soft spoken, not a good enough story.  Maybe he's just taken for granted because people are getting tired of the Warriors.  Maybe his skin is too light and he acts and plays too "white".

In my opinion Steph Curry is the most valuable player in the NBA because he is the player most capable of taking over the playoffs and determining who wins the ultimate prize, the championship of the league.  Every team that plays Golden State focuses on him, which opens the court for everyone else.  Despite that when he needs to turn it on to win playoff games he puts up huge numbers of his own.  If that's not "most valuable" I don't know what is.

Buff:

Draymond isn't the best player, but a good case can be made for him being the best leader on that team.  That is still Curry's team, and this is his NBA. 

311Hog:

i think Steph just makes some people uncomfortable because he is a paradox.  He is the son of an NBA player, but he has never gotten the "easy road" and has really made himself into the player that he is.

There is also the difficulty in determining "who" is exactly responsible for the Warriors and because they do not play a "simple style" See Harden and the Rockets where anyone with eyes can see who is responsible for everything the rockets do, the Warriors are a team where every part is important, the only real difference there is KD. KD is KD regardless of anything or any other factors, but the core of the Warriors exists with or without KD.  I think KD's presence makes the "death line up" or the "Hamptons 5" that much more impossible to defend but each member of that 5 is very important to the rest.

I just think the NBA talking heads hate or have difficulty dealing with Dynastic "teams" that aren't centered around one "one on one" artist like Jordan or Lebron, Kobe, Harden etc.

EastexHawg:

We almost always DVR the games and watch them later because I have come to hate watching live TV.  Throughout the playoffs I have stopped the game, rewound, and showed my wife times when two defenders have run to Curry and away from the play, leaving clear lanes to the basket for Draymond or Andre or other Warriors.  Many of those times he doesn't even have the ball, but multiple guys are running with his movement to keep him from being able to get into position.  The defense is picking him up near the mid court line because they can't give him a chance to walk into even a 30 footer.  There have been long discussions after games about how it is suicide for opposing big men like Kanter to not come out near the 3 point line so Curry can't step into 3 pointers.  So what happens when the guy who was guarding Curry is behind him and the post player is running out to cut him off?

Everyone else on the court has more room to maneuver, to shoot, to score.

Even with Durant on the floor, he can get open space by sending Curry to a corner and having him stand there.  KD is supposedly the greatest scorer in the league, but he gets room to operate because the defense has to be all over Curry every split second of every offensive possession.

Those are the intangibles, the ways in which Curry makes everyone on the Warriors better and their jobs easier, and how he has changed the game.  Durant is a great scorer, but I think Curry is the most valuable player and the guy who has determined the balance of power in the entire league for the last half decade.

311Hog:

--- Quote from: EastexHawg on May 29, 2019, 01:52:30 pm ---We almost always DVR the games and watch them later because I have come to hate watching live TV.  Throughout the playoffs I have stopped the game, rewound, and showed my wife times when two defenders have run to Curry and away from the play, leaving clear lanes to the basket for Draymond or Andre or other Warriors.  Many of those times he doesn't even have the ball, but multiple guys are running with his movement to keep him from being able to get into position.  The defense is picking him up near the mid court line because they can't give him a chance to walk into even a 30 footer.  There have been long discussions after games about how it is suicide for opposing big men like Kanter to not come out near the 3 point line so Curry can't step into 3 pointers.  So what happens when the guy who was guarding Curry is behind him and the post player is running out to cut him off?

Everyone else on the court has more room to maneuver, to shoot, to score.

Even with Durant on the floor, he can get open space by sending Curry to a corner and having him stand there.  KD is supposedly the greatest scorer in the league, but he gets room to operate because the defense has to be all over Curry every split second of every offensive possession.

Those are the intangibles, the ways in which Curry makes everyone on the Warriors better and their jobs easier, and how he has changed the game.  Durant is a great scorer, but I think Curry is the most valuable player and the guy who has determined the balance of power in the entire league for the last half decade.

--- End quote ---

agree totally it is crazy to me they are teammates but in any other world Klay would be the greatest shooter but because of Curry how good he is can be hard to see. They fit perfectly for each other to IMHO, number one on that list being personally, you can see the bottomless joy of them playing i think it is infectious.

You are right though on the range, Curry's range really is the lynch pin. And it is not statue range, he can do it moving all kinda ways.

EastexHawg:

Some combination out of four things has to happen for the Warriors going forward.  Draymond Green and Shaun Livingston are going to have to shoot better, the defense is going to have to be better, they need to cut down on turnovers...and they have to hope that a guy who scored 16 ppg during the regular season doesn't make everything he throws up (14 of 17) and put up double his average.

We'll see if the Raptors can keep it up in Game 2.

311Hog:

--- Quote from: EastexHawg on May 31, 2019, 11:35:44 am ---Some combination out of four things has to happen for the Warriors going forward.  Draymond Green and Shaun Livingston are going to have to shoot better, the defense is going to have to be better, they need to cut down on turnovers...and they have to hope that a guy who scored 16 ppg during the regular season doesn't make everything he throws up (14 of 17) and put up double his average.

We'll see if the Raptors can keep it up in Game 2.

--- End quote ---

yeah i mean that atmosphere reminded me of Oracle during the warriors first ship.  They are definitely hungry. I am not sure they can sustain that level of shooting, i think this one might go 7.

EastexHawg:

--- Quote from: 311Hog on May 31, 2019, 11:54:00 am ---yeah i mean that atmosphere reminded me of Oracle during the warriors first ship.  They are definitely hungry. I am not sure they can sustain that level of shooting, i think this one might go 7.

--- End quote ---

Late in the game there was a stretch when the only way the Warriors could score was to get it to Curry and let him draw a foul.  Thompson was off for most of the game before hitting a few once the cow was already out of the barn.  I don't know if Livingston is finally just too old or if he has simply been off, but when he is on the floor the group out there with him mandates that he has to be at least the third scoring option if not second.

Toronto was playing 5 on 3 defense, trying to lure Draymond and Iguodala into shooting the open 3s they were giving them.

311Hog:

--- Quote from: EastexHawg on May 31, 2019, 01:42:34 pm ---Late in the game there was a stretch when the only way the Warriors could score was to get it to Curry and let him draw a foul.  Thompson was off for most of the game before hitting a few once the cow was already out of the barn.  I don't know if Livingston is finally just too old or if he has simply been off, but when he is on the floor the group out there with him mandates that he has to be at least the third scoring option if not second.

Toronto was playing 5 on 3 defense, trying to lure Draymond and Iguodala into shooting the open 3s they were giving them.

--- End quote ---

they were definitely fouling the crap out of Curry some called some not.

EastexHawg:

--- Quote from: 311Hog on May 31, 2019, 01:52:27 pm ---they were definitely fouling the crap out of Curry some called some not.

--- End quote ---

I know there are bad calls and missed calls in every game, but the one at mid court where Gasol ran into him with his full body was egregious.  How do you miss a 7 footer running into a guard who is dribbling the ball in the open court like that?

EastexHawg:

Gutsy win by Golden State tonight.  With Durant out, Looney going down in the first half, and Klay hurt in the second half Toronto was able to trap and double team Curry all over the floor.  They were able to pull it out with defense and poise.

Mr. 14 of 17 was a mere mortal again, and Gasol came back down to Earth.

If Thompson can't go Wednesday night and Durant is still out I'm not sure how the Warriors have enough offense to win.  Toronto can basically double team Curry from the back court and force guys who aren't shooters to beat them.

311Hog:

im thinking boogie going to go off.

ErieHog:

Congrats to the Raptors, who had the ultimate Leonard situation play out perfectly. 

Great season, great champions.

husker71:

the GM thought they had gone as far as they could with last years team and took a giant gamble in renting Leonard for possibly 1 year AND they fired last years coach of the year.  Now those 2 moves both worked out and congrats to them

311Hog:

--- Quote from: husker71 on June 14, 2019, 05:39:30 am ---the GM thought they had gone as far as they could with last years team and took a giant gamble in renting Leonard for possibly 1 year AND they fired last years coach of the year.  Now those 2 moves both worked out and congrats to them

--- End quote ---

definitely it worked out, where do you all think Leonard will be playing next season? im saying the Clips

1highhog:

--- Quote from: 311Hog on June 14, 2019, 10:26:43 am ---
definitely it worked out, where do you all think Leonard will be playing next season? im saying the Clips

--- End quote ---

Clippers would be my first choice of where he goes as well.  He wants to go to LA supposedly, but not to play with Lebum, so the Clips have a decent core of players to play with as it sits now ans a quality coach.

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version