• 10,474,085 Posts
• 413,254 Topics
• 23,631 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did CCM take over play calling  (Read 4028 times)

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
Did CCM take over play calling
« on: October 06, 2018, 08:41:11 pm »

Better play calling this game and I noticed CCM looking at a play sheet a lot during the game.  Did he take over play calling?

Dionysos25

Re: Did CCM take over play calling
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 08:45:44 pm »

I had a feeling he did this after Auburn. Offense felt more dynamic. But may have just been simpler gameplan and better execution.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

checkraiser88

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 08:47:55 pm »

I had a feeling he did this after Auburn. Offense felt more dynamic. But may have just been simpler gameplan and better execution.

He said we expanded our playbook a little, good to see the players catching on

Poppa Tart

• Hogvillian
  • Calling the Hogs with my sis.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 09:32:49 pm »

He said we expanded our playbook a little, good to see the players catching on
Or buying in.

OLEJACKETFAN

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 09:46:44 pm »

Yall are underestimating Craddock!

a shady hog

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 09:48:13 pm »

It probably took awhile for the players to learn more of the playbook.

247Hog

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 09:49:00 pm »

Speaking of Auburn...they're about to lose again today  ;D ;D ;D i love it

King Kong

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 09:49:36 pm »

He has not

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 08:55:25 am »

play calling is getting better along with this team... love seeing improvements every week.... now lets go get some legit SEC talent!!!!

Hoggish1

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 09:11:17 am »

The only bright spot in my day...

RedRazorHog

• Varsity
  • Love the Hogs....Wanna see us return to Glory!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 09:11:52 am »

Agree with Okejacketfan - he is new to the team and the team is new to him.   Finally our QB is getting the reps he needs and things are stating to gel a bit.   Anyone notice the two-deep with the WRs we started?   That’s a big change.

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 09:15:53 am »

On the 4th and short when they went for it and called the terrible toss sweep, the camera panned to him and it appeared he was looking up toward the press box with a really aggravated expression (don't know if Craddock et al are in the press box or not).That was a very bad play call decision in that situation against a team with Bama's speed.

rljjr

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 09:34:35 am »

On the 4th and short when they went for it and called the terrible toss sweep, the camera panned to him and it appeared he was looking up toward the press box with a really aggravated expression (don't know if Craddock et al are in the press box or not).That was a very bad play call decision in that situation against a team with Bama's speed.

Yeah, you can't expect to toss the ball back 6 yards and expect to gain one yard against a salty, fast, athletic Tide defense. That would have been a good place to punt, but if you're going to go for it then you have to throw a quick screen, slant, run the sneak or dive -- but NEVER toss the ball back 6 yards.

wpswillriseagain

• Varsity
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 10:03:20 am »

Yeah, you can't expect to toss the ball back 6 yards and expect to gain one yard against a salty, fast, athletic Tide defense. That would have been a good place to punt, but if you're going to go for it then you have to throw a quick screen, slant, run the sneak or dive -- but NEVER toss the ball back 6 yards.
i know it has worked several times this year but I hate being in shotgun on 4th and short as well. I know it adds the dynamic of the jump pass. But just put Cole under center and have him fall forward.

Backcountryhog

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2018, 10:08:02 am »

Yall are underestimating Craddock!
i totally agree

Hopeful Hog

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2018, 10:16:52 am »

I completely agree. I despise the toss, it rarely works. On 4th and a foot you toss it backward 5 yards? Are you kidding me?!

wpswillriseagain

• Varsity
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2018, 10:21:00 am »

i totally agree
me too. The only time I was upset with him was when we went away from the run against CSU. He is learning just like his players.

rtr

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 10:45:47 am »

Better execution of said plays.

rzrbk4life

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2018, 10:47:09 am »

I think it’s more the players getting comfortable in the system and the coaches better understanding what the players are capable of

NEA_HogFan

• Varsity
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2018, 12:36:09 pm »

The thing about play calling is .... when the players execute and make all the right reads and blocks the OC looks good. When the players don't execute/miss blocks/ make wrong read people blame the play calling.

Backcountryhog

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2018, 04:18:12 pm »

The thing about play calling is .... when the players execute and make all the right reads and blocks the OC looks good. When the players don't execute/miss blocks/ make wrong read people blame the play calling.
now don’t go hitting them with facts. Some of these tools on this forum just beg for negative things to toss against the wall about this new staff. Never mind the obvious improvements against arguably the nations toughest schedule the last 3 weeks. Oh, not to mention probably the best recruiting class in school history committed. 🙄

OLEJACKETFAN

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2018, 05:33:45 pm »

Folks, the HOGS are headed in the right direction.Have gone through a Really bad stretch. Lost a couple games they shouldnt. And then played 3 really good Football Teams. Arkansas isnt a really good Football Team yet. But hopefully we see a W this week. Coaches,Players and Fans need it and deserve it. As crazy as it sounds I still believe the HOGS have an outside chance at a Bowl. Win the next 2, and others may think so also.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2018, 05:42:12 pm »

I love the TE middle screen where we fake the HB screen in the flat that we ran a couple of times Saturday.  Screws with the DL even if they correctly read screen, gets the ball to one of our better playmakers.  Excellent wrinkle.

31to6

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2018, 07:43:27 pm »

OCs sometimes try to be too clever on those short yardage calls.

Short yardage is all about want-to.

Paul

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2018, 07:55:42 pm »

OCs sometimes try to be too clever on those short yardage calls.

Short yardage is all about want-to.
. Agree. As George Allen said, "Don't get too smart!"

ballz2thewall

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2018, 08:19:54 pm »

Better play calling this game and I noticed CCM looking at a play sheet a lot during the game.  Did he take over play calling?

i dunno; did he?

he does that every game....looks at the play sheet.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2018, 08:50:30 pm »

Sometimes things are as simple as this.
1. They settled on a starter.
 2 Once said starter was named he started getting majority of reps so week after week his understanding and mastery of the offense improves. 3. Also as he gets more reps timing and relationship with receivers improve.
4.  This leads to the OC being able to expand the offense as the QB improves and as their trust in the QB improves.
5. OL gets a guy back which also helps what offense can do.
6. Playmakers such as Boyd and O’Grady emerge.

HogFoo

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2018, 09:22:20 pm »

i dont think Morris took over playcalling.  what i saw, and what we started doing in the aTm game was that we got Ogrady involved.  Well, in fact, we got the TE more involved in general.  But, mostly, Ogrady factor.  Every series he was in vs aTm, we scored points.  just about every series he was in and touched the ball vs Bama we made some long drives.   Ogrady is a matchup nightmare for anyone. not even bama's vaunted highly touted guys could cover him.  And, it opened up everything else by using him and the other TEs.   i like it.   i like what they did.  And, i think we found our offense moving forward.   we actually had one!  with that said, i think we can take the positives from this game, and build from that.  no other team will have the same type talent as bama.  lsu might, but they arent bama.   i think we can get on a win streak with this offense and defense.   watch and see!   boyd, ogrady, and our wr's catching the ball and of course storey throwing catchable passes.   haha.. funny how that works.   i can see us making a bowl now. time will tell.

1HourToHogville

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2018, 09:50:50 pm »

The players are simply more familiar with the offense and executing the reads/options that it provides.  That also expands the playbook available to the OC once he knows the players understand the calls.

hogmolar

• Senior
  • Hard to soar like an eagle when you hang out with
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2018, 09:16:41 am »

O'Grady spoke to this in his interview.  He mentioned that everyone is finally getting on the same page.  In the past there would be even just 1 guy not doing what is correct and it would mess everything up.  I think we can see that starting to happen. 

Some say that us switching QB's early in the season was the worst thing for us, I argue it was the best for us long term.  I really think this team wanted Kelley as the starter, they needed to see him fail in order to get behind Ty.

One last thing I have not seen anyone mention.  For the entire college career of these players they have had a coach that has dogged and spoke bad about the exact offense they are now being asked to run. Do you think this might have played into the slow start?   

Mo_Better_Hogs

• DE FENSE!! DE FENSE!!
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2018, 09:23:42 am »

O'Grady spoke to this in his interview.  He mentioned that everyone is finally getting on the same page.  In the past there would be even just 1 guy not doing what is correct and it would mess everything up.  I think we can see that starting to happen. 

Some say that us switching QB's early in the season was the worst thing for us, I argue it was the best for us long term.  I really think this team wanted Kelley as the starter, they needed to see him fail in order to get behind Ty.

One last thing I have not seen anyone mention.  For the entire college career of these players they have had a coach that has dogged and spoke bad about the exact offense they are now being asked to run. Do you think this might have played into the slow start?   

Good comment.
Good comment.
Good comment. Maybe so.

toddfromdesarc

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2018, 10:28:44 am »

totally disagree

I disagree that you disagree that he agrees.

HogPharmer

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2018, 01:14:14 pm »

I disagree that you disagree that he agrees.

Agreed.

Youngsta71701

• There's a God somewhere.
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2018, 02:04:36 pm »

FIRE GUS!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas